Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

I forgot to roll the clock forward. Oh well, it's Sunday so no big deal.

Krazy, my hubby is trying to get a job here, but we don't know how long that might take. So both our houses will remain on the market. If we sell them both and he gets a job back here, we will just buy another place. If he can't find a job we will have to move. He is coming home tomorrow and does have some things lined up, so we shall see.

Rain and high winds yesterday. Rain today. Vet tomorrow. Than a day or two off for Cheese.Sometimes weekends seem such a waste.

Cripple Duck does not seem to be doing too well. He's swimming in circles a bit, like he isn't really using one leg as much as the other. He has trouble sitting down too, and I usually find him laying on his side in his cage. He seems to switch which side he lays on. The other ducks are getting big and starting to get all their feathers though. They aren't quacking yet, so it'll be another month until we know which are male and which are female.

Velcro Squirrel is thriving though. and has stopped biting my nose since he has been weaned onto nuts. He still hasn't figured out acorns, though he does hide them in his box.

We also have 15 chicks, and about half of them will be frizzled, so they will look like little walking balls of fuzzy yarn. I'm going to sell them, but I want to wait until they have feathered out more so I can see what they turn out to be.

Lucy and Mir are doing well. I rode Mir yesterday (in his new bridle!!!), and he was fantastic. He's really working on going round, and it's hard for him, so he tires easily. He's still wanting to always pick up the left lead, which is supposedly his dominant shoulder. It's hard to get him to pick up the right lead.

Shantel, that's awesome that you get to ride the neighbor's nice mare! How fun!

Thanks guys for your input!

I'm going to think this offer over. I talked about it with OnceWasTag (my sister) over lunch today (we finally got to see each other!) and she thinks it was due to the long hooves/incorrect farrier work that was happening around that period + possibly navicular changes. It sounds about right to me.

I've heard that things are going well at the new places the owner has her horses at, so at some point in early summer I'm gonna go out and check out the situation. If I feel comfortable, I'll ride, if not, I won't. The good news is that there is NO pressure in this situation. The mare is at place geared towards gorgeous trailriding, so I can just walk the mare if I want to. Really, I won't be able to ride enough to build up muscle or skill, so I might as well not push myself and just soak up being with a horse.

I'll figure it out. I just have to see how I feel. I mean, the parents might not even let me ride. Ugh. This transitional period can be more frustrating than the sickness....

I think that sounds like a good idea. And tell Katie HIIIIII!!

Day 2 of the 30 day shred... dear Lord! I mean I *was* able to keep going without stopping longer today than yesterday but whew.... only 28 more days... this is easy, right?

Oh and today I had a sedation patient come in at 9am. With sedation patients, you cannot leave the room or them AT ALL. So from 9am until 4pm, I was working on this patient (doing upper left and upper right crowns/bridges), and mind you she is the PERFECT patient, but still it was a lot of tedious work. So for 7 hours, I didnt pee, drink, walk around, eat, etc. So after I was done, the girls cleaned my room, and I left for the day. I mean yes the day went by quickly but whew.

Then I rode Layla with Sarah over at the neighbors. Forgot my gloves and now I have blisters. She was good though. A little more fussy today with the whole trying to figure out what is coming next instead of settling down and going with the flow but she wasnt bad.

Giving her tomorrow off. Me too except for my 20 mins with Jillian....

Night!

shiloh-I am sorry to hear about CD. Jingles for him. Glad to VS is doing well.

KTM-Sounds like a very lond day. Nice of your coworkers to clean up. The mare sounds like a fun ride.

Beckham-Sorry to hear about your dad. Enjoy your spring break. Sounds like you need dit.

Dobby-Glad to hear you may be back to riding soon. I hope all works out for you.

Well had the vet out yesterday. She was a bit late. The one bad thing with a solo practioner. She was ecstatic with the way Cheese looked. She loved her topline muscle. Luckily she only sees Cheese once a year. So she sees the improvement more than I do. She couldn't believe Cheese is 20. Cheese looks and acts like a 5 year old. Especially since she was in a bit with the weather we have been having. So she was a bit up. Cheese will have the next couple days off.Which sucks. All this weekend has been rainy in the 40s. Now it is suppose to be sunny high 50s and possibly in the 60s.

Well, Cripple Duck joined Quack Quack and Joe Duck in the big duck pond in the sky yesterday. He seemed worse still yesterday, and the decision was made that he will not get better, and to let him go peacefully. So I carried him around for about 3 minutes (where he is happiest), and then gave him the rest of the Rompun from sedating Annie to clean her leg. He fell asleep peacefully in my arms, and is buried right outside our front door. I cried like a baby. I'm still upset. I LOVED that duck with everything I had. And from now on when we have ducklings, I will pick one or two to raise indoors and spoil rotten like I did him.

He was just so special. Totally content to sit next to me for hours at a time, and so funny. He loved to sing to me and to VS. He will always have a special place in my heart. And now I'm going to start crying again.

Aww, I'm sorry Shiloh. He had the best life any little duck could ever possibly ask for.

Ugh... I read about CD when I was at work and had to quickly close the page and stop reading. I was starting to cry too! So sad! I am so sorry Emily. You did so much for him and he had the best life he could thanks to you. *hugs*

Day 3 of the Shred wasnt AS bad as yesterday... though my quads are still angry and even just trying to sit down in a chair or even to pee is quite painful!

Going to bed... Happy St Pattys Day!

Thanks guys. He was the most special duck ever. I'm going to plant something pretty over his grave once our front steps are rebuilt. I keep hearing the squirrel in his new cage and thinking that the rattling is CD. And then I get sad again.

CD's brothers are starting to get their big-duck quacks. They are feathering out very nicely, one solid fawn-ish color and three f&w. They are loose in the chicken pen now with just one rooster and a couple hens, and they seem to be doing very well. Which makes me sad for what CD never had.

And now the tears are starting to come again. I miss that little duck a lot. It doesn't help that his siblings want nothing to do with humans.

I left the barn nearly in tears. I was joyfully bouncing into the barn because I hadn't seen The Pony in two months, since January, and I was just so excited to see him.

My joy was quickly cut short. This pony is naturally chubby, the sort of thing that I could work pretty hard and train with and put hard-earned muscle on but still would have that hay belly, you know? In January, he looked older for sure, and lost muscle, but he was still fat and fluffy.

This pony? This pony was thin. I could tell walking up to him where his ribs were and you can feel every rib and indent when you run your hand across his body. He has dropped significant weight, which is NOT good for an 18 year old pony! I know he lost muscle on his neck, but his neck also lost weight. His hip sticks out more, from old age or weight loss or combo, I can't tell. He also has rainrot for the first time that I've been involved with him (four, five consecutive years!) on his entire back. Its in a pretty dry stage, not pussing, but it is pretty extensive.

He has been moved fields, in with one other horse who is new, a bit thin, but looks young and healthy, so maybe from a growth spurt?

The good news was that The Pony's eyes were bright and alert (not sunken in) and that he is affectionate and good natured and spirited enough to obviously still have all of his personality. He followed me around the covered arena and rested his head against my body, rolled in the dust and came when I called (puppydog!) but I still can't get over it. I don't know whether he is being used for lessons (which would be totally inappropriate in his current state) and I don't know whether his health is being addressed.

This isn't "oh, he is getting old and this is just old horse weight loss or downturn". No.

No.

This is, the horse is suffering because someone else's lack of money and time and heart.

I'm infuriated.

On top of it? One of the dogs are the barn is has always been on the chunky side (roly-poly!) has also dramatically dropped weight and is listless. Needed my help getting up so I could move her out from behind my car today when I went to leave. Listless. Barely wagged her tail.

I left nearly in tears.

Dobby- it's been a really hard winter. My retired guy came into January nice and plump, and by the end of February you can feel his ribs, see them when he walks. He's on free choice hay, fat supplement with grain, blanketed, and it's still been COLD and WET and it's taken it's toll. He's hardly neglected. So don't just jump to conclusions just yet. We barn owners are all waiting for spring grass to fatten every body up to save what's left of our dwindling hay.

Well. Had the vet out for Lame Riley (RF) and Lame Amore (LH)- both 3/5 grade lame- Amore was nearly 5/5 when left hind was flexed.

We blocked EVERYTHING: foot. fetlock. suspensory. Hock (amore). Suspensory again (Riley). Stifle. (Amore). Knee (Riley).

NOTHING was conclusive. Riley got to about 1.5-2/5 with the foot block (ringbone area) but no better with anything else. Flexed knee and shoulder.

Amore was only just a fraction better with the stifle block.

Riley: xrayed 3 shots of hoof, fetlock, and knee. Some stuff in the hoof, but overall BETTER than two years ago. Maybe one shadow by the knee, but nothing conclusive.

Amore: xrayed the hock, as that block was a little tricky going in, and just normal changes for a 15 year old. Honestly, I half expected a fracture-- she's that lame.

My vet is really frustrated (as am I!). Going to reblock the areas a got a little better on Monday, and he's going to email some other vets the xrays.

But HONESTLY, what's going on?! Why am I cursed like this!?

My vet's all, "I've never had one not block out like this, much less two the same day!"

Yeah, it would be me.

We even checked the block solution and everything- they felt nothing. They just didn't go sound.

You are right KTS, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but at the same time...this was a harsh winter and no one bothered to blanket him. This was a harsh winter and I'm not sure how consistently he is being brought in or grained (he isn't supplemented). I just have never, ever seen him come out of a winter so badly, and I've been around this horse for a long time.

The good news is that the farm has really rich spring grass (a problem for horses with previous foundering issues!) so he might bounce back but to have a horse has *no* fat deposits?

I don't think that these people would purposefully not feed him, but their with current financial situation, they might cut back on grain here and there, and I could see him slipping through the cracks because unless he is used for an occasional lesson, he isn't touched. He sits in the back field. So, if he slipped through the cracks, well, I can certainly see that happening by sheer accident.

KTS--That blows! I've never heard of such bad (and consistently bad) luck. That is really bizarre. I think coming back for more blocks in a good idea on your vet's idea as is sending them around. You literally blocked everything. Huh. This is such a mystery.

Geez Alyse that really stinks! Can you block the hips/sacrum/lumbar area? Ive *knock on wood* not had to go there so I am not familiar. I wonder if it is higher up? At least there was improvement in Rileys foot. I hope you get it figured out. And your ponys are sure lucky to have you as a mom as most people wouldnt dish out all the money, much less twice as much at the same time, to dig as deep as you are. Hang in there!

Dobby, that is really sad. I know with the economy some barns are cutting back. Perhaps it is like you said, hes not really used so possibly slips through the cracks. Did you ask anyone if they noticed the weight drop? Hopefully he will spring right back once the grass comes in. But it sounds like he was happy to spend time with you.

Emily, so so sorry about CD. You are stronger than I am as I dont think I would have been able to give him peace myself. I would have had to pay a vet to do it as Im weak when it comes to that.

So guess what?! Its RAINING again. Weeeee. [surrender]

Though today Rex got to play big horse. I put him in Laylas dressage boots, surcingle, halter, lunge line, & side reins and took him over to the house side of the property (which he only goes over to with Layla & Ben like 3 times a month as its ALL open to the driveway, pond, house, shop, etc). He got lunged (which consists of a lot of walking and a couple mins trotting big circles) while my step dad was hammering wood into the roof of the well pump house 40' away, driving the golf cart 15' right by us, the temp was dropping fast, drizzling rain, dogs barking, neighbors horse who was being ridden easily visable, & it was his 5th time ever being lunged and first time with side reins (which were on the longest setting and didnt even come into play but they were connected to the halter and something different). And yes, Colonel Baby Horse (as Randy calls him) was PERFECT. He would settle into a really nice trot and wow... come on 2011! Hes going to be so much fun to ride. But yes, perfect baby horse. Then we walked out on the street to the clover patch in front of the neighbors property (Rex's first time out there) and again, PERFECT. Though I kind of knew that would be a non issue considering when I went to see him at 18 months we had to walk almost 2.5 miles on a BUSY highway with hills and semis and dump trucks to get to the indoor arena.

Finished Day 4 of the Shred. Again, easier & no where near as sore. YAY.

Beck, it is Jillian Michaels workout DVD called 30 Day Shred. It was like $9 at Walmart. Just need hand weights & the DVD. Its hard core but awesome. Im not sure how accurate this is but I weighed myself on Saturday (we have a digital scale that can tell you muscle, fat, water weight, etc) and then I weighed myself tonight and it says I lost 7lbs. Who knows??

One more day of work... YAY.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Beckham, I can't remember the name of the calming supplement. It has to be one that is just

L Tryptophane. If it has other ingredients in it, it can test.

Shantel, it took about 4 days for me to get up the guts to do it. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I used the Rompun because I just could not have it done any other way. He just had to fall asleep peacefully in my arms. If I hadn't had the Rompun, I think I would have had to call the vet for something.

I rode Lucy again yesterday and she was excellent. I think riding in my tall boots helps a lot. I did buy shoes to put on her, so I will get to that when we get back from Jax this weekend.

Emily, as I wrote on Facebook, you took the best care of CD. I'm really sorry that his condition didn't improve.

Alyse, I like Shantel's idea about blocking further up Riley's hindend. I recall that you're not a believer in equine chiropractics... But... perhaps you'll give one a chance with Riley? It made a world of difference in Jaggar last year.

Dobby, I'm sorry to read about the condition of your pony. When was the last time that he was wormed? I hope things improve for your boy!

Beckham, you sound like you're burning out this semester, just a little. Will you take a break from classes during the summer? I say that you deserve a break!

Boocoo, just keep praying. I am sure that God has some good plans for you and your family, even if right now is the not the easiest time.

Well, I certainly hope everyone's weather is starting to finally improve. The temps reached 60 today!!!! The snow is ALMOST gone!!! But, unfortunately we're supposed to get some sort of precip tomorrow, oh boy. I'm soooo done with winter.

Baby is growing! My tummy is looking bigger by the day! We get to find out if it's a boy or girl next Wednesday!

Yesterday, on my day off, I spent four hours at the barn with Shannon and Champ :-) Both ponies were treated to some carrots and a good grooming. Jaggar seems to have lost some weight, but absolutely NOTHING like what he was when we first brought him home. Chad is in process of trimming up his feet (Chad's back only allows him to do two feet at a crack...) We're going to get his weight back up to par and wait for the ground to dry up, and Chad will ride Jaggar for me! It'll be fun to watch Jaggar go!

Okay, today was LONGGGG, and I'm tired. Off to bed! Have a great Friday, everyone!

Thanks for your prayers Sylves, Keep them coming.

My hubby is at a job interview right now and had another job offer, so he should be back down here in about 3 weeks. We are still going to try and sell this place though. We need to move back into our other house and do some things to it and then try and sell it again maybe later this spring or summer. We shall see.

I don't think you can do a block higher than the stifle . . . ? Can they even walk with a blocked hip? LOL.

Sylves, I have done deep tissue/ rolphing (sp?) with Ry and Amore, but I don't think anything like that would help with acute injury lameness. . . . and no chiro/massage person I know would try it. It does help for straightness, and totally takes away Riley's hock wringing- at least for a little bit, so I believe it does something.

Rode Bennigan today- not 100%, still a funky step here or there on a circle when the foot hits the inside, but it was nice to do a little bit in this nice weather.

Now I'm off to design a musical freestyle for my friend.

Seriously KTS, if you end up down this direction, I can hand you two to ride. I've not watched anyone else ride my two in a LONG time. It would be quite a treat!

And if you haven't tried acupuncture, you should give that a shot. It REALLY cannot hurt them, and I have seen it help in some cases. It, combined with chiro, got Lucy cantering nicely on the right lead in one session after the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions for sweet itch? Ms. Jade, the pony got sweet itch last summer. Would a sleazy be helpful at all in preventing the skin condition?

Boocoo- hoping the best for your husband's interviews! That's certainly a step in the right direction!

Beckham, are you still there? You seem to be slowly melting away from what I can gather on your FB posts... School seems to be getting a little old. When do you graduate?

I spent an hour at the barn doing chores. Jag was shivering, so I brushed off the dried mud and put his med. weight blankie on. I wish I had a 56 med. turnout blankie for little Jade. Chad doesn't think she needs anything because she is pure tough pony, but with these bouncing temps- 60 yesterday with lots of sun and upper 20's today with precip (yuck), the ponies are getting a little chilled... I'm searching ebay for a used 56 inch blankie.

I feel like I'm going through some sort of riding withdrawl...

Hi Erin! Yes, I am alive:-) I got done with finals yesterday and have pretty much been outside over since:-) Grades are in and I can let my brain be mush for a week now! I have heard feeding flax seed helps with sweet itch. I get it in big bags from the feed store.

Boocoo-Good luck to your DH on his interviews!!

KTS-Well, I am glad you at least have Ben back...When I had Poet he went lame behind; appeared to be in the stifle area. The stupid vet I had at the time couldn't figure it out...did a few things. Honestly, after a few weeks off he came back and was never off again while I had him. So?? Maybe some time off then re-evaluate?

The weather has been lovely. I have been riding everyday. Beckham is coming back into shape nicely and we have a clinic in two weeks. I have been riding Shelby bitless and she has been a totally different horse. Very calm and friendly. I am going to continue that route for a while to just have her act like a normal horse for a while. Her mouth must have really bothered her.

I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow! DH is driving me crazy watching so much basketball!