Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Erin, Mir gets something like sweet itch, but for him it's most likely mosquitos as he only gets itchy from his shoulders up. He very very rarely itches his hiney. But anyway, what has helped him the most is full-on fly armor. He gets a sheet with neck cover, mask with long nose and ears, and wraps (to keep the flies from bothering his legs, and to keep the pink skin on his hind white ankles from burning due to our insane sun). Everything not covered in fabric gets coated in fly spray, or even better, a vaseline-based hand cream. The generic Eucerin is my fave. He also gets benadryl when it gets bad, and I bathe him with Seventh Generation Lavender and Mint dish soap, followed with full-body conditioning.

I have had him on flax and it's not helped him at all, though this year I am trying the Smart Omega stuff for him, since it's a free trial.

He is already decked out in his sheet and last year's torn up mask (ordering a new one soon). He looks sorta like an upside-down taco.

Layla is lame... copied post from COTH:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Went to ride my mare today. Walked over to the neighbors arena, walked around for about 10 mins. No issues. Went to trot and lame. It felt 100% like it was up front. Moreso felt like the left front but wasnt sure. Neighbors nonhorsey husband was there working on the barn. I asked him if he could just tell me which leg wasnt coming as far forward as the other. I mean it was that apparent that even a nonhorsey person could see it.

He said left front. Ok. At the walk, on soft and concrete, shes totally fine.

Went home. My nonhorsey but not completely husband was on the porch. I walked her while on her, nothing. Trotted her while I was on her, he said it looked more shoulder... possibly the right.

Get off. Rechecked her hooves and legs (always check before getting on). Legs and feet are cold and no where is she sore to palpation.

Untacked her and took her out to lunge her with just a halter. At the walk, shes tracking up, no problems. At the trot, I really didnt see much. Maybe a hint of something going to the left but geez, I mean, it was VERY noticable when I was on her. Now, just *maybe* something trotting to the left. I did not canter on the lunge because it had rained earlier and the grass was wet.

The only thing that I can think of that would indicate the left front is the culprit is that when I was tacking up, I was about to hook up the girth (always start out loose and slowly bring it in), and she was doing like a half paw motion like 3 times with her left front. Usually she will do this if theres a fly on her. So I fly sprayed her and that was it.

She hasnt been ridden since last Monday. The only thing is that like 3 days ago, I was massaging her in her stall as she gets tight where the muscles attach to her chest/shoulder/neck area. My MT also showed me where to massage between her front legs all the way on the bottom to help release her muscle there too. But nothing that is out of the norm for what we do.

Mare does go out normally in her C7 area which I know can mimic shoulder lameness. She hasnt been massaged or adjusted since Aug last year.

So watching the video (when it uploads it gets really choppy and you cant see anything) the left hind comes forward normally and the right front is more restricted (which is her tighter shoulder due to her upright "clubby" right front). Right hind comes forward but not as articulated in the hock (vet said it was due to limited range of motion due to DJD) and her left front comes up and swings forward normally.

So is it the right shoulder? Right hind? I am so confused. Stupid windows media player totally messes up the quality of the video when I save it for uploading. My camera shoots in HD & has a high frame per second and the software and/or computer cant handle it.

Here is a link to an album I just uploaded of pics that I took from the video tonight since I cant upload the video. I also will link to a picture that I edited to show one stride to the next and drawing lines to accentuate the differences.

Album: http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r186/kr...unge%203-21-10/

2 Edited photos:

laylalines.jpg

laylalines2.jpg

It is her right hind that has always had the most problems? Then she may have over compensated throughout her life with the left front...she may be developing some arthritis in that leg that flairs up. The same thing would show up on Winston and every time I had the vet out it wouldn't show up. Knock on wood, I haven't seen it in years...just a thought.

Was she recently shod? Or with as much rain as you have had, she could have stepped on a rock and bruised her sole. Lucy went through that deal about 2 years ago. She would ONLY stand in the wet spot in the pasture, and then when I would walk her down the driveway to ride next door, she would step on rocks and bruise her hooves. It was very off and on lameness that the vet thought might be navicular (but after x-rays, turned out to just be bruising). It was maddening because every time I would have someone around to watch her trot in-hand (vet, people more experienced with lameness) she would be sound. And it moved from hoof to hoof too.

Shantel, let me know if you are interested in a couple chickens next time we are up your way. I can save you out 2 or 3 small hens, and they will give you just enough eggs, but they can go in your coop with the pigeons. They won't require anything you don't do for the pigeons, and if you either keep the coop closed up, or clip the hens' wings so they can't fly out of the coop, they will be safe from the dogs. But for the ducks, unless you want to fence off about 10'x10' or so around your coop for the ducks to hang out in, they probably will get smushed. And ducks aren't as much fun if you can't watch them forage and such. It's their antics that are so amusing.

I rode Lucy today and she was pretty good, especially considering the weather. Mir, holy nutcase. I went to put his bridle on and he flipped out, took off, somehow managed not to break his brand-new bridle, and then when I got up to him, he did it all over again. Finally caught him, and it was like he just forgot what he was so riled up about. Nut.

He does need his teeth done though. My vet has never thought it was necessary to do his teeth, but after him being goofy today I checked his mouth and he does have some points I can see and feel.

No she was shod 3 +/- weeks ago. Hoof tested negative. On Friday when I was at the Drs, I called my step dad and he said that the horses were running around being silly and I asked him to give them hay. Maybe she tweaked something then? Rex also opened the gate on Saturday and let the horses out to the house side where they ran around and the ground around the house is SUPER soft and mushy and she might have tweaked something there too.

It is her right hind that is her worst one. You can see in the photos that she works better when the left hind is coming up and the load is off of the right hind. She IS due for her hock injections so maybe she was compensating and with the running around tweaked something. Ugh its so frusterating.

Emily, I will let you know about the chickens. I just see it being me who will be stuck caring for them and I am just about full with taking care of animals. If the hens you can bring will be old enough to live in the coop without a heat lamp and all, that would work better. I would LOVE to have the ducks but I too am concerned they would get squashed. And silly Mir. Sometimes they can be such tards.

Riley rarely ever hoof-tests with an abscess, so I wouldn't discount it yet. Don't know if that would be better news though- Bennigan looked better friday so I rode him lightly, and it seems to have brought back his abscess with a vengeance. It's been almost 3 weeks. So maybe a light strain would be just as quick, lol.

Dobby ? Given your previous head injury, be very careful that you are sure the reason the Morgan mare fell was a bad trim, not some neuro reason. I would hate to see you get injured again. So sorry to hear about how bad things have gotten at the barn. That sounds very bad indeed.

Boocoo ? PUSH MOW?!?!?! OUCH!!! Now that is a LOT of work!!!! Glad to hear the first group turnout went so smoothly. Hope your dh?s job interviews went really well!!!

KTS ? Congrats on the new job!! WOW, KTS, you truly blocked every possible thing. Can?t believe you couldn?t sort out what was bothering those two. Hope you manage to get it sorted out. Sorry to hear that Bennigan?s abscess is back. I had a horse that fought an on again/off again abscess all summer one year.

Shantel ? Glad to hear Jill is okay. I can?t believe it took them so long to identify what was wrong. Sounds like Rex is a real superstar of a baby!! Very nice!! So sorry to hear that Layla is lame. Perhaps it is just a simple abscess or bruise. Give it a day or two before you stress too much. Seriously, one day when I was out riding Raz, he came up three legged lame, and I mean literally hopping on three legs lame. Couldn?t find a single thing wrong with him. Called my vet in a panic, and she told me to wait 2 days. Sure enough, 2 days later, that hoof was hot and had a pounding pulse in it ? abscess. It took a couple of days to show up after the lameness though.

Shiloh ? I think we need pics of Mir in his new bridle!! Really glad to hear that Mir didn?t break his new bridle with his silly antics. Gotta love spring time.

Sylves ? I?m sure you are going through a riding withdrawal. I was REALLY down this winter when I wasn?t riding for 4 months straight. It was awful. When it came time to start riding again, I was SO down, that I didn?t want to go back out and ride. I just wanted to sit on the couch and wallow in my misery. Julie set up a lesson, Jack pre-paid for a bunch of lessons, and suddenly I felt obligated to go ride. Now that I?m back in the groove, I can recognize how down I was, but in the midst of it, I had no clue. We both have different reasons for not riding, but the not riding has the same effect on both of us. Hang in there!! You?ll be back in the saddle before you know it.

Lieto and I have been having great lessons. The supervised rides have been just what I need to get back on track with Lieto. We have both been increasing by leaps and bounds. He finishes up his Doxy today. So now we hang tight and see how the next month proceeds. We are increasing my lessons to 3x a week and decreasing the BNT to 1x a week as my rides have been going so well. Natalie went to barn with me today and took some video and pics of my ride.

Taking the contact in the canter, a nice open throat latch, nice relaxation:

Lieto0123c.jpg

Truly, my ideal trot from him, so relaxed, accepting the contact, nice open throat latch, big forward stride, at this stage in his training, this is precisely where I like to see him:

Lieto0124c.jpg

Walk break:

Lieto0125cs.jpg

Picking him back up after the walk break, a little tense, but this is still a little tough for us:

Lieto0126ce.jpg

Another nice trot photo showing some good consistency throughout the ride from him:

Lieto0127ce.jpg

Continued . . .

Shantel, the hens I had in mind for you would be from this hatch that is over a week old already, so they will be almost laying by the time I am back up your way. They would be 100% fine without a heat lamp or anything. Just feed them with the pigeons and collect the eggs. No pressure certainly, just an idea. They should stay fairly small, just a bit bigger than your pigeons. They are actually moving outside in the next couple days, once I make sure they are big enough not to fit through the openings of the outside cage.

I need to get more pics of Mir. It's been so long since anyone took pics of me riding him, though I am considering giving him some time off from any real work until I can have his teeth done.

KTS, what do you feed? Sometimes a diet high in sugars, including grass hay that is high in sugars, can contribute to abscesses.

Shelly, I am about to watch your video, if it will load in any reasonable amount of time!

Dobby-Sorry to hear things at the barn are not going so well. I have left a few places because of care going down hill.

KTM-I hope you figure what is up with Layla and it isn't to serious.

Shelly-The more I see Lietto the more I like him. I had to chuckle. The begining of the one video the one comment about crossing your hand over. Yeah it took me a year to stop that. After riding western for so long it was a foriegn concept that the hand shouldn't cross the withers.

Well after a ride last week I decided to give Cheese a break from dressage yesterday and do some barrel work. Well she felt still at the trot. I tried loosing her a bit at the canter. Canter felt fine. Cheese did a awesome(for her) downwards trabsition. Trot still felt a bit tight. So I decided on a nice trail ride would be the best. It started out great. Nice loose rein walk with Cheese weaving all over the place to look at things. We hit the one point of the trailand the ears pricked up followed with her head coming up. Than it was nothing but trot. Not a single sign of stiffness. We headed home and the first part was canter onle. We cantered sideways , in place, and if it were possible I am sure she would have cantered backwards. Silly mare. I finally got her to a trot. There was no regulating the trot. There was only tuck the head and elevate. I think she just wanted to remind me she could do saddleseat. Got back and lunged her a bit.I so do not want to deal with a barn sour monster the rest of the year.

KTS, what do you feed? Sometimes a diet high in sugars, including grass hay that is high in sugars, can contribute to abscesses.

Well, he put the clip of his shoe through his foot, so I know exactly why it's abscessing, and where. But, he gets progressive nutrition low starch and low carb grain, with a hi fat additive. We are friends with a well known equine nutritionist, so all the horses are on an excellent diet. The hay is locally grown fescue- decent, but last year's cutting.

Lieto is so stunning! He'll turn heads for sure.

Shiloh ? I rather lean towards either riding Mir in a hackamore or not riding at all until you can get his teeth done. At his age, it just isn?t worth him learning that any kind of pain can be associated with riding. There?s no rush to ride him, and you have nothing on the horizon like a show or clinic to prep him for, so better to give him the time off until his teeth can be dealt with ? just my philosophy with a youngster.

CSA ? HA!! Seems like I have been working on not crossing my hands over forever. I?m actually pretty good at keeping them where they belong now, but with a youngster like Lieto, Julie doesn?t want me falling into any of my previous bad habits, so she reminds me before I make the mistake. Lieto can get ?sticky? in turns sometimes which is a typical greenie issue, but when it happens, and I feel him start to fall out and refuse to turn, I sometimes revert to old issues like crossing a hand over which makes the problem worse, so it helps to have Julie reminding me as we are heading into turns then I am less likely to let him drag me out of position no matter how wiggly he gets. I think my worst pitfall right now is that I tend to lean forward trying to ?help? him be more forward!! I?m improving, but from the videos, I can see I?m still pitching forward. Sounds like you and Cheese had a great trail ride!! I?m jealous. That?s the one thing my barn lacks ? access to trails. I would love to get Lieto out on some trails.

KTS ? OUCH!! Poor Bennigan!! Razzle did that same thing when I had only had him like 6 months or so. Took him forever to heal up. We pulled the shoe, and I was out soaking his foot and wrapping it every day, twice a day for at least 2 maybe 3 weeks before he was able to even have the shoe nailed back on again. That really takes a LONG time to heal up from. That is a BAD, BAD bruise. What do you add for a hi-fat additive to your horse?s grain?? I?m curious because right now Lieto gets a TON of oil added to his feed as a fat additive. I would like to keep the fat additive, but reduce the amount of oil as it can cause insulin resistance, so I?ve been doing some research into alternatives other than the oil. Always interested to hear what other people use to add fat to their horse?s diet!! Lieto is going to stay on his diet for another month (alfalfa pellets and oil), and if all stays the same, then we are going to make a switch. I just haven?t decide exactly what the switch will be, so I?ve got a month to make that decision!!

I?m really pleased with the amount of progress Lieto has made in just a month. He has gotten so much stronger and become much more consistent in the contact.

~Shelly~

Shelly- yeah, it's pretty bad! He did it coming off a jump in a lesson- ripped the shoe off in one step, landed on the clip in the next. Blood was spraying everywhere. We managed to get the shoe off, then I soaked, wrapped, and packed it for 2 weeks. It seemed to have stopped draining, so we put the shoe on last week. I waited a couple days, saw him trot that looked pretty sound, and gave him a light test ride Friday. I could tell he was still a little ouchy on tight turns, so I didn't do much. Friday night he was back to limping at the walk, and he's still very off now. The riding must have aggravated it again, and it wasn't totally done. ARgh. The farrier is coming out in a couple hours to pull the shoe off and have a look.

I use Envisions Classic here : http://www.prognutrition.com/envisionclassic.html

It works well, and doesn't make the horses hot-- and I've used it on TBs, etc. I added it to Ben's food around February because I noticed him losing some weight and looking ribby, and I could see a difference in just a couple weeks, and now I'm thinking of cutting it back a little, especially with the grass coming in.

I use Envisions Classic here : http://www.prognutrition.com/envisionclassic.html

It works well, and doesn't make the horses hot-- and I've used it on TBs, etc. I added it to Ben's food around February because I noticed him losing some weight and looking ribby, and I could see a difference in just a couple weeks, and now I'm thinking of cutting it back a little, especially with the grass coming in.

I have to second that stuff. I had great results with it for Cheese.Never made her hot. I love the stuff.

OUCHIE!!! Ben really drove that shoe way up in there. That is worse than Razzie. He pulled his in the pasture and stood on it for ???? no idea how long until we discovered it and pulled the shoe, but it definitely wasn't spurting blood, and STILL took 2-3 weeks of soaking before he was sound on it again.

Interesting feed. I'll have to check to see if that is available around here. I highly doubt much of any type of feed could make Lieto hot. I have him on 1 lb of alfalfa pellets AM and PM with a cup of corn oil poured over the top of it (along with his supplements), and that horse is the furthest thing from hot. Half the time he acts sedated.

~Shelly~

Well, he put the clip of his shoe through his foot, so I know exactly why it's abscessing, and where. But, he gets progressive nutrition low starch and low carb grain, with a hi fat additive. We are friends with a well known equine nutritionist, so all the horses are on an excellent diet. The hay is locally grown fescue- decent, but last year's cutting.

OnceWasTag's gelding CK did something quite similar. Horses are way too talented at this whole epic violent lameness deal.

OnceWasTag's gelding CK did something quite similar. Horses are way too talented at this whole epic violent lameness deal.

Haha. So true. My jump trainer was freaking out, going "Ahhh it's bleeding! Oh my gawd! I've never seen anything like it!"

And I wanted to be like, "Really? This ain't nothing! Riley's minus a the end of a coffin bone because of something similar."

Apparently even she, with 45+ years of riding, training, and working with jumpers, hunters, and racehorses, has not seen all of the bad luck that I possess in just 10 years of owning horses.

KTS, I totally forgot that Ben stepped on his shoe. Those clips can be dangerous man!

Shelly, I am going to give Mir some time off. It will be a good excuse for me to get him going in a hackamore, and to work on lunging him (I lunge in a halter). His teeth don't look horrible by any stretch, but they do need to be done.

Hubby killed out first rooster today. We are eating him for dinner. He's pretty small. I'm thinking we should have gotten a couple of the large meat breeds for eating.

Haha. So true. My jump trainer was freaking out, going "Ahhh it's bleeding! Oh my gawd! I've never seen anything like it!"

And I wanted to be like, "Really? This ain't nothing! Riley's minus a the end of a coffin bone because of something similar."

Apparently even she, with 45+ years of riding, training, and working with jumpers, hunters, and racehorses, has not seen all of the bad luck that I possess in just 10 years of owning horses.

I hope its not contagious. You can keep that icky bad luck to yourself.

Alyse, you can have your bad luck lameness back! This sucks. I am going to hop on Layla on Wednesday and see if she is any better. She is fine in the paddock. Who knows.

Our refi on the house was stalled AGAIN. How nice since our locked in rate expires on Saturday. BOA is a POS! So in more or less words, we told them to go eff themselves. We are now having to go through our credit union but because the interest rate is higher, we are now doing an Equity Loan instead of a refi so our payment only goes up $340 a month and after borrowing $40k, we only pay back $60k in 15 yrs vs a refi which would have us paying back $80k in 30 yrs.

Still trugging away at this 30 Day Shred thing... though I will say it was SLIGHTLY easier tonight and I didnt sweat AS much. We will see.....

We have 4 brand new chicks, one yellow, one pink-ish, and two black, and one little duckling! One little black chick didn't make it. He was struggling in his shell, and died instantly when I took him out finally. Two of the chicks and the duckling have some of their yolk not quite absorbed, so they have weird sticky-outy things at their belly buttons. But they all seem to be doing just fine. The duck is, of course, already on my lap.

We got 4 azaleas to plant in the front, one of which will go over CD's grave. I need to go plant them later today, once the hay guy comes.

It looks like I'll be riding Sam for awhile. Fessor is still anxious, though I found a calming supplement that seems to be helping a bit. But until I get him checked out more thoroughly for physical issues, we are sticking with ground work and walking. We had a decent walk out on the dirt/gravel road yesterday, then didn't ride today since he went out earlier than usual. We're trying to simply focus on relaxing, and that won't happen if his overnight buddy starts calling... Someday I'll have to address the frequent answering and calling, but right now that's not a battle I choose to have. I will ride him tomorrow while his buddy is in the arena too having a lesson. :)

I find it interesting that my saddle fits Sam. He's my trainer's slightly out of shape clydesdale gelding. Yep, my 15.3Hh, 1100lb horse wears the same size saddle as the 17.2-3, 2200 lb (at least) horse. Oh, except that there is just a hint of space behind the withers that will fill in as his topline redevelops. lol. Sam will be good for me! He really requires me to ride off my seat. A horse that big can, if he chooses, ignore a snaffle. He responds much better to seat and core. And he makes me focus on my position, because if I get out of position he can just about pull me out of the saddle if he decides it is time to stretch. It is the most amazing feeling when he starts offering suspension in his trot! Need to balance and he's not quite listening to the half halt? Just circle. He shifts back on his haunches and lightens in the hand like a dream. We're both a bit out of practice, but will get more accustomed to each other and more fit.

I wish the park wasn't flooded. Fess is now to the point he will usually relax at the walk. I'd love to take him on a multi-hour trail ride at the walk. Give him something to think about other than moving his legs as fast as they can go and fussing, without setting him off and letting him build. As well. If I don't hear back from the vet soon, I'll take him to Iowa State. I really want to have him checked for ulcers, and it wouldn't hurt to check the pressure in his eyes. I suppose I might bute him tomorrow before we ride and see if that appears to make a difference. It's a risk if he has ulcers, but I'd like to see if masking pain makes him any less edgy. If we are simply dealing with anxiety, then lots of miles relaxing at the walk then building back up to a more normal workload will be our best bet.

Tracy

I just got off the phone with the vet. He said it sounded like stomach/intestinal issues, but not yet full blown ulcers. We are going to try Fessor on some Neigh-lox and cimetidine?rimetidine? (OTC near the Zantac). He likes the tryptophan/magnesium/B1 combination for calming, and Fessor is now on all three. So hopefully if he's got an irritated digestive system, this will help.

The vet's first thought was vision issues -- but this anxiety has lasted longer than normal for a vision change. And I am fairly certain that Fessor is already completely blind, completely in the dark. The stretching into what looks like a founder stance with no sign of foot soreness and pawing on the crossties, like a mild colic with no other symptoms, point to digestive issues. But Fessor still chows down on his grain and his stools are a normal consistency. And his gums are nicely pink. So we'll see. I just want my confident, quirky horse back. :) I will still try to make time to ride Sam though. He's a blast, and a good change from Fessor since he requires different things from his riders.

Tracy

Shantel - Sorry to hear about the re-fi issues with the house. How is Layla doing?

Shiloh - Congrats on the new chicks and duckling.

Tracy - Sorry to hear about that Fessor is so stressed. Hopefully the vet's suggestions will sort out what is wrong with him and get him back to normal again. At least you have a horse to ride in the meantime.

~Shelly~

Edited by smithereens_86

Layla is still lame. I cant really feel it at the walk nor see it but when u/s, and you trot, it is VERY apparent. I unfortunately had to have Sarah get on and make her trot so I could see what was going on. It feels and looks like left front like shoulder but her right hind is really short, esp when tracking left. I know that is where her bone spavin is & that she needs her hocks done but shes never been like this so I dont know. The right hind was better when tracking right so I thought that was weird.

I have been considering IRAP for her hocks instead of regular injections because her injections tend to last between 6-9 months (which is what my sports med vet told me they would). Ive just got to figure out what is going to be best for her. And bless her heart, she is so stoic, even though she was lame when Sarah was on her, she was trying her best to do everything perfectly. And she doesnt head bob.

UGH!

KTM-Sorry if I missed it but have you had xrays done recently? A friend's horse was on again off again lame at the trot. you could do walk, canter and small jumps. Than about after a year he went dead lame. Ended up being a broken coffin bone. It was just an odd thing that they couldn't figure out until xrays were done. Either way Ihope you get Layla sorted out.

Shiloh.-Congrats on the new hatchlings.

Tracy-Sounds like a digestive issue. I hope Fessor starts to feel better.

Shelly-How is that handsome boy of your doing?

Work killed my back. It was way to tight to ride today. We came home and hubby made dinner. I got a nice hot shower and got to relax. It's feeling better. Hopefully I will get to ride tomorrow.I finally cleaned my barrel saddle that has been sitting around since fall. I just prefer it for trail riding. Probably because I am more used to it than the dressage saddle.

Layla is still lame.

And there is no heat or pulse in any of her feet or heat or swelling in any her legs or any nicks or scratches that would account for it?? By now, if it were an abscess, heat or pulse or both would have shown up in the sore foot. A bruised foot could still be to blame and not show any signs, but short of any other symptoms, if you are at 6 months out from the injections, then she probably is just due for another round of injections. Razzle used to come up lame like clockwork every 6 months. I just to just plan the injections for 5 months without waiting for him to turn up lame. If I waited for him to come up lame, the recovery time from the injections was significantly longer than if I got the injections into him before he came up sore. So sorry she is still off.

CSA - Lieto is doing great. He came out rather cranky for out lesson on Tuesday, but he had been locked in his stall since my Sunday lesson due to bad weather. He worked fantastic though, so I was very proud of him. Weather has been better since, so he has been getting turned out again. Hopefully he will be in a better mood for tonight's lesson. Either he is going through a growth spurt, or all the recent work finally caught up to him as he has suddenly dropped a bunch of weight. The trainer and I noticed on Tuesday that we could suddenly see the outline of ribs and hips when he had been looking fabulous on Sunday!! We upped his feed ASAP, so hopefully that will help with his energy level as well. He finished the last of his Doxy on Sunday, so no we wait and see what happens. Hope your back feels better!! There is nothing worse than back pain.

~Shelly~

I called my sports med vet who does her injections and he said that sometimes the hocks can mimic front end lameness but if it is that apparently up front, it more than likely IS up front. He said even if it feels like shoulder, it more than likely is her foot.

Heres no heat, no pulse, no tenderness, no swelling, not sensitive to palpations, etc.

I got some iodine and vet wrap from the feed store. She was out of ichthomal but said I can mix iodine and sugar to make a paste and after I soak her foot, I can wrap it with that paste. Hopefully it will draw out an abcess and she will be fine.

I have had xrays on her hocks and stifles back in 2007 but this is the first time in over 8 years that I have ever had her lame. She has been sore from her hocks but NEVER lame, like three legged lame. Ive never even had an abcess with her so yeh...

Farrier is coming Saturday morning instead of today because he wants me to be there when he works on her.