Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Try not to get too discouraged by one judges comments. At my show in Feb, I was counted off for Layla being "lame" but not lame enough apparently because she didnt ring us but said that she had regular gaits but was stepping short with her right hind (which is mechanical due to bone spavin and has had this for over 3 yrs and never been brought up even in front of R judges). At the end of the day, that is just one persons opinion on one moment in your riding career with your mare. Dont let it get you down. Can you PM me the name of the judge? Wonder if it was the same lady who I wrote about above.

Mowed the house side today. I think if I am going to fence in a paddock in front of the house that I am going to have to do something about the weeds. The front yard looks like my fields did before we tilled them up, sprayed weed killer, and then reseeded. Its just all sorts of broad leaf and wetland type weeds everywhere and choking out my grass. There are some nice patches of bermuda but yeh. Luckily from a distance, when its mowed, it looks pretty decent.

Going to go ride with Jill again tomorrow. Thats about it. Oh and the other assistant at work called me today to say that this part for her car didnt come in like it was supposed to so now I guess I am working Monday? Oh well, I can use the hours. But at least Im off the rest of the week.

Night!

It's just frustrating because this woman was giving all the kids absurd scores, but an adult with a similar ride would score a good 5% lower, or more. It was just very random. I need to look over my friend's comments and see what she got marked down for.

As for your weeds, I am waging the endless weed battle here too. Have you tried weed and feed (TSC carries it for cheap) and RoundUp? That combined with regular mowing seems to help a ton.

Well if she seemed to be all over the map and overly rewarding the kids and not the adults (which I *hate* when judges do that and over inflate the scores) I would just let it roll off your back. Think about the positives - you didnt fall off! You didnt go out of the ring! I know its hard to esp when you spend good money on showing but unfortunately not everyone is going to like your ride or your horse.

You should come up and ride in one of our shows. We have really great judges who are fair and consistant and arent all stuck on the big flashy gaits.

I have used all sorts of weed n feeds and not specifically round up (does that kill ALL? maybe not...). We have a big plastic tank thing that sits on the 4 wheeler and has a sprayer that we can drive around with. Its just that the front of the house has SUPER wet soil - like 24/7 365. So the weeds, esp dollar weeds, go crazy there. And since the horses arent out there all the time, it doesnt get grazed down. Im thinking Im going to spread some more bermuda out there as it seems to spread outwards better against the weeds than the bahia.

Oh and I just got back from riding at Jills again. Layla was fabu! We actually worked in the dressage arena today instead of around the sports field. We started off with lots of lateral work in the walk (LY, SI, HI, renvers, travers, HP) and when I picked up the trot, she was so nicely into my hand and had a cute lofty trot going on. Did some canter, it was good enough that we did 4 1 loop serpentines from 1:4 that were awesome. After that I worked on trying to establish *some* kind of lengthening. Layla just isnt a horse that lengthens. Even in the field or on the lunge, she just doesnt have it. So we got a couple steps where it clicked.

After that, I did a few trips around in canter and really was sitting back and driving her UP UP UP and we went down the long side and it was like "we have liftoff!!" and we had SO much suspension and lift - it was a blast to ride. Jill was like WOW. Canter is def our strong point.

We finished up with a big forward stretchy trot around the sports field. She was a tired pone. So much so that she didnt even get upset when Mingo went back to her barn and we were at the trailer.

Randys on his way home from work.. he has a small break. And hes bringing me lunch. Werd.

Have a good Sunday!

I actually heard her say that she really likes to reward the kids, so that we don't "lose them to the jumper ring".

My horses LOVE dollar weed. I'm surprised yours won't keep it grazed down? It's the sticky-uppy weeds and the thorny weeds that I have to work to get rid of. Those I spray with RoundUp, and then spread weed and feed around.

Nope they dont bother with the dollar weed. I have another weed that LOOKS like dollar weed but its more spade shaped. Extension agent told me what it was but I forget. Anyways, it grows just tall enough to be the same height as the grazed grass and the horses want nothing to do with it. Seeing as I just mowed, I need to go ahead and put down my broad leaf killer before it all grows back up again.

Part of the problem might be that you're treating it after it's developed roots. Weed n feeds only work to prevent weeds. It won't kill them once they are established. I learned this the hard way last year. To get them once they are established, you have to spot-treat with RoundUp, before you mow, and then don't mow for a week.

I screwed up big-time in my first year of weed-killing. I just spread weed n feed and called it good, and the weeds laughed at me. Then I tried to use RoundUp on the base of the plants. Again, they just laughed and kept growing.

ROFL Thats why when I did the horse pastures, I disced everything up (literally) and sprayed down a broad leaf killer because all of the roots were torn up and exposed. Then I did my lime, seed, and eventually my fertilizer. So far so good. As far as Round Up... when I was at TSC last year, I looked at TSC name brand broad leaf killer and it was the same thing but stronger solution or something and cheaper that we used. OH no wait - I got the TSC all vegitation killer. Then we went along the fence lines and sprayed and killed everything. It was awesome. Hmm.. that sounds morbid...

So as my FB status says, I am a blanket folding MACHINE! I got all 14 blankets cleaned, straps attached, folded, and put into the blanket storage bags. Of course they arent ALL blankets - some sheets, coolers, cotton sheets, etc. And one is Jills. But still. So nice to get them off of the blanket bars. Though I will miss winter...

Gotta dry my hair, fold my clothes, put dogs to bed, and get ready to sleep myself. Working tomorrow (blech but oh well more hours on my pay check) but the rest of the week Im off. Night!

I bought some of the off-brand RoundUp stuff that kills everything. I mixed it according to the directions. My weeds looked healthier. I'm going to make it stronger here soon. I am winning this year in the battle of the weeds.

Shiloh-That sucks about the show/judge. You know you did better so that is what matters. The padding the kids score would annoy me. If they are old enough to care about their score than they are old enough to hear the negatives.

With both of you ladies discussing pasture management, it makes me very grateful the BO also does lanscaping. The pastuer look fantastic.

KTM-Thanks for the reminder. I wanted to do blanket cleaning today.

Went to a tack/yard sale yesterday.Nothing to interesting. Picked up some SMBs in really good condition and a saddle pad.I bought a blanket off of ebay. I love blanket shopping this time of year. You can find some great deals. Since Cheese decides to destroy a blamket a year I like to stock up.I got a short ride in. MIL was with so my time gets cut short. Just focused on moving the shoulders and hindquaters.Cheese did pretty good. We will do actual work today.

Life is busy. Life is hectic.

Interview with a financial investment firm next Monday! WOOT! Watch out Wallstreet...ha...ha.

Scotch has been doing fantastic!! Both on the flat and over fences. May 1st is the first show of the season.

Trying to keep my head above water and make it through this semester. And then only one more semester then graduation in December. I see the light...finally!

3Day, hang in there! Glad pony is doing well for you.

csa, I would love to blanket shop right now too b/c of the good deals. I have all the blankets/sheets I need for Layla and just cant buy for Rex because who knows what size he will be.

So its been 2 days and my hammys are STILL sore from my ride on Layla where I was really riding her UP in the canter.

Going to the Dr AGAIN tomorrow. UGH. I had a sample of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo last month. Everything went well. So I had them call in Rx for it. Go to pick it up and its $30 as well. Im sorry but with as much money as we spend on insurance every month AND with all of the generics out there, Im not going to pay $30 a month when I can spend $10. Plus, I found online that there is a generic, though Walgreens says there isnt. Its called Tri Lo Spirtec. He said they used to carry that but its not listed as a generic for OTC Lo so he cant give it to me. Im also going to ask about getting the Rx written for a 3 month supply because apparently I can try to get it ordered by mail and hopefully pay less. Lastly, I NEED allergy meds! I am dying with the ears itching, raw throat, even my skin and my eyes are just so itchy and red. And of course I cant get in to see an allergist until the 28th.

OH! And I found my show shirt!! I order the "ivory" dressage pad from Dover but its really like a light buttercup with a chocolate piping that is exactly Laylas coat color. I keep envisioning that pad, white breeches, and a yellow show shirt (no jacket) and I have searched and search and finally found it - AND it has the white collar and cuffs.

http://stores.breechdepot.com/-strse-198/y...llow/Detail.bok

Im going to look all springy yay. And the colors are allowed. Werd.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Shantel, try asking somewhere other than Walgreens. Walgreens has gotten BAD recently. I had a script transferred from there to Winn Dixie recently, and they called in the wrong frickin drug! It's a good thing I knew exactly what I needed, or I would have ended up with the wrong medication.

But in doing a bit of research, it appears that many women had some really bad side effects when switching from OTC to TLS. That may be why it is no longer available.

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-a-warnin...-birth-control/

http://drugsbuyers.com/node/1472

Well go figure this one out. If I buy the OTC Lo from any physical pharmacy, its $30 a month. But if I send in my Rx to my ins companies mail order thing, and get 90 days worth, its $6.19! WTH? I dont get it. Im not complaining but I dont get it!

So I am going that route. I really dont want to change meds because it works but am glad its cheaper.

Also got the pharmacy to send over the prior authorization form so that my Dr can send over the info to the ins company that states that the OTC meds dont work.

So I rode Mir today, and he was SPECTACULAR again. Much better turning to the left, and was even willing to stretch forward and down a bit. I didn't canter him because hubby is at work, but his trot work was just lovely. My little upside-down Arab boy is growing up!

And then Lucy was a butt. Couldn't keep her slowed down in the trot, didn't want to come back to the walk or halt, cantered like a freight train. She was bad yesterday too. I'm wondering if she's not happy with this new bit. It's a touch wider and a slightly different curve, and the attachment to the rings is a slightly different shape too. I'll give it one more ride, and if she's still a butt I'll switch back to her other bit. I'm going to be a bit annoyed though if I just spent $50 on a bit she doesn't like.

KTM-Glad you found a less expensive way to go. It doesn't make sense but at least it works for you.

shiloh-I hear you on the bit thing. I have spent way to much money on bits. A couple that the mare hated and let me know.You couldn't expect two good rides in one day. I think that is against the law of nature. . Any recent pics of Mir?

I had a really bad night at work. I was ready to walk off the job.This new manager is such an idiot. The support manager isn't much better. Oh well. Need to pay the bills. Although I do feel a sick day coming on.

Of course I went to the barn after work this morning. I needed to detox after work. My little niece may be doing her first lead line class in two weeks. So I used a solid curb with Cheese today. She hadn't had one in her moth for over 5 years. So I wanted to see how she would do.She did awesome.She should be good for the two classes of leadline. The show also has a theraputic division. So I think I will take Cheese in that one and do some dressage. It should give us some low key show experience and help with the flat class fear I developed two years ago.

Anyway Cheese did so well witht he curb I think I am going to retry the mullen mouth with her. I had tried it before putting Cheese on the Mg and had 1 really good ride and a couple really bad rides. So I am curios to see how she will go with it.

Glad Mir did well! Sorry about Lucy but if you changed the bit, that very well could be the issue. Layla is uber sensitive like that. Even if I move the bit up or down one hole on only one side of the bridle she gets upset.

csa, sorry about work. I know how it is from experience. At least you can go out and see your pony. We def need pics of Cheese & leadline!

So went over to Jills again today and started out in the dressage arena doing walk & lateral work, even some 1/2 piruoettes (SP!!) in the walk. Then we went out around the sports field as the sprinklers had not been on in the ring and it was too dusty/deep.

Layla is just in this zone right now. I mean she takes the bit, works so into my hand, ears flopping to the side, mouth totally quiet, so springy and relaxed and just.. AH. I could ride her all day long!

I was thinking about it and ya know what? A month ago I was swearing she needed her hocks done. She was short on her RH, sore in the lower back, etc. But now? She looks like she already got them done. LOVE MY FARRIER.

About to head to bed. Randy had a softball game tonight, then we hung out with the guys afterwards, then went to Chilis with our friend Craig. Now we are back home. I gotta answer the phone for work from 8-12 tomorrow (forwarded calls to cell phone) and then we gotta go pick up cinder blocks & stone veneer for a 3' knee wall we are putting around the edge of the back patio.

NIGHT!

3day---Hey hey you! I'm going to be in the area for the most of this summer, if you are interested in having a photographer for shows! I'm not great but it would lovely to meet you and Scotch! I can't wait to pet a horse again :(

Riley's working well, Ben's abscess is now draining from the back heel (good thing, I guess?) but I cleaned him up while it was soaking today, pulled his mane trimmed the goat beard, he loved it.

With Amore, we are slowly ruling out neurologic (what the vet thought was muscled atrophy was just her normal-weird hind end muscling, nothing new), so we are back to aggravating an old injury, I think. I did a bunch of online research and found her breeders (they had her til 10) and shot them an email (just a general one, not with any of the problems).

I did find pics of her youngest baby!!

http://www.isroldenburg.org/?pid=awards_premium%awards_mares

Click on "Nimue"

Hubba hubba! Totally got her head and neck, but where'd that sabino come from!!! Mor's fleabitten gray with a tiny star and hind socklet.

I'm starting to look around at some stallions for her, since it looks like she'll need 6 months to a year off at best. What are people liking these days? She's been bred to Frohwind at least 3 times.

And my personal life is looking up a bit too. I had a lunch date with a guy I REALLY like, then we hung out for another 3 hours hanging out in tack shops. A BNT (eventing) even made a innuendo!! Haha, they were talking (they used to ride together), and in parting, BNT's like, "Stay out of trouble, man" looked over at me, winks and goes "well, not tooo much trouble, at least!" I never get innuendo-ed! He said he'll come to the steeplechase with me next saturday, and I really want him to ride Riley (he's a dressage rider).

I also have a "non-date" with a "determinedly unattached" friend tomorrow. He just got dumped by his girlfriend, had his horse die (this is the one I had pics up of) and I suggested we go drinking and have a pity party. It's cool though, I could never date someone who likes Nickelback music. But, since his parent's own the racecourse, he'll be at the steeplechase too, riding as well, so it'll be fun. My sister is even coming down for it.

I'll be sure to get pics-- I will be looking cute and wearing a dress for once!!

Unfortunately, the forecast is for rain, but it's 10 days out, it HAS to change, RIGHT!?!? It's like a dust bowl here, we need it, but not THAT day!

KTS, actually, there is some good thought that all white is caused by sabino. So even Amore's tiny bit of white is likely due to a single copy of one of the many sabino genes. Since Frohwind also has some white (blaze and 3 or 4 socks), the foal probably inherited sabino from both parents. If they get it from both parents, and it's the same gene that is causing the sabino, it will be more expressed.

Also, black tends to suppress sabino, while chestnut allows it to show more. Since that foal is chestnut, the sabino will be more expressed than if the foal were black or bay.

Annie got one copy of sabino from Lucy. Since she's bay, she just has a star, stripe/snip, and half a white coronet on one hind. If she had been chestnut (not possible because dad is homozygous for bay), she likely would have had a bit more white.

No recent pics of Mir. I've actually never seen what he looks like under saddle, except for hubby poking around on him, or the one time my friend came and walked and trotted on him when he was still 2.5. I really wish someone who knew how to ride would get on him so I could see how he goes!

Shiloh, that's interesting. Amore was born black, too.

Riley is a sabino, I think (blaze, 2 high whites, a sock, and a belly blotch). Dam was dark bay, minimal white, sire was black, 4 socks and a star.

Wooo go Alyse! A guy that you like who seems to like you and not only does he ride, but its dressage, and hes not gay?! Werd! I hope you get Amore all straightened out. I love Routinier (obviously Im partial) but if you want the flashy gaits with an ammy friendly mind and temperment, hes def a stally to look at (GOV & NA Olden.). Sandros Song... oooo Ill think of some more. Id have to see a confo pic of Amore to see what stally would compliment her. What is she approved for?

I was talking about how wonderful Layla has been going and how great the farrier has been and then boom, last night go to turn out and her LF shoe is off from the medial side, the lateral side still has nails in it. I cant get it off but cant leave it hanging. So I had to duck tape her shoe back in place. I have left numerous messages but farriers wife still hasnt called me back. UGh. Supposed to go riding in the early afternoon.... grr. So annoying.

After a 2.5 wk break, I decided to suck up the pain and start working out again. Jogged an 18 min mile on the treadmil & worked out on the bowflex. Waiting for Randy to get home from arena football to get some dinner.

Shantel: I know! He even has an accent!! I really hope it can keep going, and not fizzle out, since he lives like 2 hours from me. If all things go well, we will be competing against each other at 2nd and 3rd this year.

Amore is registered Oldenburg NA, by Walk On Top out of a Shagya Arabian mare by Faron. I just looked up what "ox" on her papers meant - arab. Duh, I know "xx" is TB. I knew she had arab in her, the back lines are all arabic names or "Shagya XIII," but I didn't figure she was half-arab! She's so tall (17.1) and quite large boned, but with a very dished head for a WB.

RAlly2007017.jpg

amorecanter.jpg

Picture030.jpg

No conformation shots, sorry, need to get those.

Her flaws are: shortish neck, a little behind at the knee, level instead of uphill, and one hind foot turns out a tad. Excellent walk and canter, trot very rhythmic but lacks suspension like Riley's (what I like). She's bombproof, never spooky, best ride was her first time in a coliseum, but she can have a pissy mare attitude: girthy, not very forgiving of mistakes. How much of her issues (difficulty coming on the bit, using herself, throwing her head up instead of maintaining a steady connection) are from previous bad training or likely physical problems, vs attitude problems are up in the air. When she's feeling good and elastic, it's easy for her, lateral work, etc. Bad days, you can't get around the ring completely on the bit without her bracing her neck or her back. But no buck or rear in her.

There are a couple different genes that cause white, mainly sabino and splash, but frame (the homozygous-lethal one) can also cause minimal white. The thought is that even a small star is cause by sabino. As for the belly spots, they can be caused by splash too. It just depends on the shape of the leg white and the face white. And sometimes there is both sabino AND splash.

Mir is definitely sabino, as is Lucy. Annie is a very minimal sabino. All 3 have socks/stockings that are pointed up instead of horizontal. The pointed socks are characteristic of sabino., whereas splash tends to make them horizontal, and gives facial markings that as bottom heavy and tend to srap around the cheeks/muzzle.

We have a new duckling, and one more hatching! I also have sold 3 hens in the past week. Now if only I could sell some chicks!

Belly spot:

MiscCameraClearance109.jpg

He's got a funky leg marking on his left hind. From the inside, it's a tall sock, on the exact outside, it's a full matching stocking to his other leg.

MiscCameraClearance132.jpg

And the other side:

MiscCameraClearance116.jpg

That crooked hind leg marking is sabino.

Also, Shagya isn't really true Arab like you normally see here. They tend to be taller and less delicate. Not sure if they tend to have similar personalities, but the mareishness seems to go along with every Arab mare I've known. They might not be dangerous, but they can be very opinionated and very take-charge. They tend to think they know better than you do. It's a very different kind of hot or resistant than my mare, who is literally on high-alert 75% of the time and just digs in her heels and says "no" because she is convinced she cannot possibly do it. The Arab thing is more like "I don't really know why you want me to do that, but I would prefer to do this, so how about that instead?" Just my experience with the breed. And the geldings seem to be a bit less opinionated, of course. Mir is really only opinionated about which lead he picks up :)

So I have an hours-old baby duck on my chest right now. He's very precious. This one had quite a bit of white. His whole neck and half his head is white, and his wings are all white instead of just the edges. Just the top of his head and the middle of his back is fawn.

Alyse, then I would def look at like R line Oldenburgs and I think (not really savvy on hannos) but G line hannos are known for the calmer attitudes. Based on what you posted, I would avoid any stallion that is known to throw any attitude or stubborness. Depending on what you want (dressage or jumper), there are quite a few stallions though.

Heres Rex's daddys page. I met him IRL down at WEF a few years ago. Just the most laid back horse ever! I helped tack him up, video'd the warm up and PSG test, and then helped undo his braids and load him up in the trailer. Just totally chill about it even with mares walking by. And after talking to MANY of his offsprings owners and meeting 3 of the babies myself, I can attest to their willing and lovely nature and nothing-phases-me mindset. He has good bone, a VERY correct neck, really nice gaits that have suspension but again, ammy friendly! And the mind, well, again you cant beat it!

http://www.immediateweb.com/site/features/...leCode+3562+V+N

Here is the farms website and you can click on image gallery to see more pics

http://www.heritagemanorfarm.com/

Emily, so cute about the babies! My little chicken nugget is getting so big and is starting to get feathers and they are white like its mom. Ugly little critters as babies though.

On this whole color thing.... does that mean Rex has the "splash" coloring instead of sabino? His hind stockings are pointy in the very front but mostly horizontal.

IMG_0962a.jpg

IMG_8302a.jpg

Rex is probably sabino too.

I was looking for a picture of a really neatly-marked Lusitano stallion that's splash white, btu I can't find it again. His whole face from the height of the noseband down is white. Then he has a blaze extending up from that and 4 white socks. He's a dark palomino (looks more flaxen in the pics, but they say he's palomino) too, so just a really cool looking horse.

Also, Shagya isn't really true Arab like you normally see here. They tend to be taller and less delicate. Not sure if they tend to have similar personalities, but the mareishness seems to go along with every Arab mare I've known. They might not be dangerous, but they can be very opinionated and very take-charge. They tend to think they know better than you do. It's a very different kind of hot or resistant than my mare, who is literally on high-alert 75% of the time and just digs in her heels and says "no" because she is convinced she cannot possibly do it. The Arab thing is more like "I don't really know why you want me to do that, but I would prefer to do this, so how about that instead?" Just my experience with the breed. And the geldings seem to be a bit less opinionated, of course. Mir is really only opinionated about which lead he picks up :)

That describes a horse I used to ride. She was great with beginers. After you had the basics down you saw why she was known as Beast. She was a speed queen. You said walk. She said fine but would walk super fast. She could out walk some gaiteds.She was a blast to ride as lonf as it wasn't a pleasure ring. I made that mistake once. Ended up gritting my teeth and just trying to stay on. Meanwhile my friend and owner of said horse is cantering by laughing. At least we beat them in the gaming. it was so worth the few min. of he11.I think some of that arab personality had rubbed off on Cheese. We rode together all the time and boarded toegether a lot. I really miss that mare.

I am so lost with the warmblood names. I like my horses a bit on the small side. So I never really looked into warmbloods.

Had a half decent ride yesterday. The mullen mouth is still a no go. Cheese fought that way to much. She didn't want to bend at all. Switched her to her regular snaffle and gave her a few to relax. Much better. Worked on transitions. Any one have good exercises. Cheese starts to anticipate after about the second time. I can use it towards my advanteage on down wards but if she expecting an upwards it can get hairy. I don't ask at the same spot for the upwards.I am still amazed we can work on keeping some impulsion for our downwards and not totally fall on the forehand.It is kind of like she goes to stop/ I add leg to get her stepping under herself. She goes to stop and than the head comes up.It is better than the head up collapse on the fore hand and slowly stop we used to have.

Is anyone here good with saddle fit if I get pics? If I ride two days in the row Cheese seems a bit stiff. I want to makew sure it is because she is working muscles she doesn't normally use and not saddle fit.