Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

CSA, post pics and Shantel and I will have a look. We can tell the basic things, tree width, sitting level, ect. There's no way to tell if it's bridging though. You will have to ride in a nice clean, white saddle pad or thin towel or something to tell that.

Shantel, Layla looks LOVELY!

I saw the pics from my last show with Lucy, and she looks decent for most of them. Her LY is icky because she's fighting me the whole time, but the SI looked WONDERFUL. Unfortunately, not enough pics from the right angle to judge how she's using her hind end. She's being a brat about tossing her head up again, especially in the halt, so she's getting ridden in draw reins today. A ride or two in draw reins usually fixes those rude mare maneuvers.

Mir is doing just wonderfully though. He's starting to get the idea of LY in the walk.

Just got back from taking one of my parents' minis to OSU vet...he had chronic choke and needed and endoscopy to see what was lodged and get it removed. They were able to get it...one expensive ball of crud.

And, it is only Monday...

Beck, that reminds me of when my parents' late Weimeraner swallowed a golf ball. That was the $1200 golf ball. Then several years later, he ran her over in the Explorer (he floored it in reverse pulling out of the driveway and she couldn't get out of the way fast enough, and there was NO way to fence her out of the back of the driveway and still give her shelter). They felt so bad that they fixed her, to the tune of $6k or something absurd. One of those things that they wouldn't think through when having to make that decision RIGHT NOW. So she ended up being the $7,000 dog when she finally passed away at the age of 12 from cancer. Of course, this was after she had lived through jaw cancer that pushed out her teeth, then amazingly just turned to bone, no clue HOW, but it was a big cancerous lump that grew at warp speed, then one day it just stopped, and x-ray showed that it had actually turned into a bony mass that never grew in the last couple years she was alive. It was a skin cancer type thing that finally got her. You could actually watch the cancer lumps sprout up on her skin. One week she was fine, and the next week they were putting her to sleep.

That dog was awesome. She potty trained herself, knew all of her toys by name, and taught herself to sit and shake. Not kidding.

Thanks! That ride wasnt AS good as the others (maybe 5% less as good lol) but shes just been amazing u/s lately.

However, about 1.5 months ago, she decided to pull back and sideways while Randy was holding her and took off to Jills barn across the street. Then last week, she was upset that Mingo was going back home and she had to get on the trailer and pulled back and sideways again (didnt get loose from me though). Then on Sunday she wanted to go visit with the neighbors gelding (who btw has destroyed 3 boards on the dividing fence from striking at it when he squeels at my horses) and I wouldnt let her as we were getting on the trailer and she tried pulling back twice.

All these times I chalked it up to her being in heat, etc.

Well last night, Sarah came over to ride and my stuff was still in the trailer (I know, common theme here however Ive been trailering her at least 2 times a week over to Jills for almost 2.5 yrs and NEVER had this issue so while it happens at the trailer, its not that the trailer is the issue. She stands tied to the trailer and falls asleep. Stood tied to the trailer with Ben at the last show for hours without me even watching her 24/7) and we walked over to that side of the property and she was trying to stop and eat grass and I wouldnt let her. Now the trailer is parked like 5' from the fence where the neighbors gelding was. Of course she tried to go visit and I wouldnt let her. She was fine. As I went to tied her, she all of a sudden pulled back, trapping my hand under the rope against the metal and smashed it really good. Snapped my nylon lead rope in 3 different pieces and took off galloping over to the neighbors horse. Proceeds to squeel and rear and kick and then when I go to get her, takes off galloping and bucking and proclaiming her freedom.

Well it was short lived. When I got her, we had a Come To Jesus meeting with Mr Be Nice Halter. I bought the Be Nice halter over 8 yrs ago when I first got Layla as she came with a nasty (!!!!) habit of pulling back. Not even pulling back, calming backing up until she hit the end of the cross ties and just casually sitting back until she slid out of her halter and took off to visit friends.

It took 2 times of her hitting Mr Be Nice halter to figure out this was not acceptable. She wore it for 6 months until I trusted her and she hasnt pulled back since (the 2 times in 8 years she did she had a darn good reason and wasnt her being a PITA).

So I put Mr Be Nice Halter on and proceed to ask her to put her head down with a downward pressure on the halter. Sends her rearing and backing away and throwing a fit. Keep asking. Then she braces herself and gets this look on her face with her lips quivering obviously doing whatever she could NOT to give to the pressure. It took a few more times of her rearing and flying back for her to figure out she had to give to the pressure (we started in the stall so she was confined).

Then we go out to the other side of the property. She would give one time and then the next stand there with that same look and quivering lips and then rear and try to take off only to realize she couldnt. Finally get consistant responses from her with the request to lower her head to the pressure. Then reminded her that pressure pulling her forward was to be answered the same way, come forward to release it. That took a few times until she got it. Then back to the trailer. She tried it a few more times and then she was 100% perfect and back to her normal self.

Since she obviously had plunty of energy to run around like an idiot, then she had enough to be ridden, my original plan in the first place. Tack up, bridle, etc all like normal. Good pony pats and cookies. Go ride at my neighbors arena and its like my old horse again. Have another AMAZING ride (better than the photos I just posted). Get back home, hose off, etc and again, NO issues.

Im still going to have her in the Be Nice for a while until I can trust her again. Its not safe for anyone, including herself, for her to be flying back and running around like that. Imagine if she did that at Jills AGAIN or at a show and took off for the road?!?

So today my hand is majorly swollen and red and black. Its on the back of my hand right before you get to the wrist on the but in line with the pinky on my right hand. Even the contact pressure of my latex gloves at work made it feel like fire. And my arms and back and neck and shoulders? Feels like a 1100lbs animal tried to pull my arms off. Just went to the chiro 30 mins before all of this happened too. My rib came right back out!

She obviously thought that it had worked in the last few weeks so did it again. No more of this tantrum crap though. You can socialize after Im done with you. Geezus.

In other news, our stone wall on the porch is coming along. About 3/4 the way done with the outside wall. Then just have to do the inside part. Ill have to post pics...

Going to go work on it now..

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Haha, poor Layla, she's gonna get it!

Benny has his shoes on and our first ride was today! I hopped on, and he got all girthy and coldbacked after walking a few steps and started crow hopping, so I was like, "hmm, stupid me! I'll get off and lunge, he has had nearly two months off, and he has a tight back sometimes anyway," and right as I was stepping off, he gave another little buck and put the pommel of the saddle right into the end of my ribs! Yeouch! It's gonna be a pretty bruise.

Wow, I lunged him, and the new shoes ( plus temporary pads to keep the grit out) are like Air Jordans! He had wings! He was moving spectacularly! Super free shoulder, flippy toes, power behind! He let out a few rips and settled in and I hopped on him again, and he was a perfect gentleman. A little rusty though. :( Heavy, and crooked neck and body, all the things I finally had fixed. Oh well, hopefully he's back full time now and will come back fast.

His old owner/trainer is coming Saturday, I'll take pics of him riding Benny. :) He's all shedded out and shiny looking.

Amore is improving about 50%. I'll take it!

Ouch Alyse! But dont you love great farriers? Layla is like that with her new heart bars. And now that her hinds are balanced and she has support, she pushes off so well from behind. Cant wait to see the pics!

So went out and worked with Layla again in the Be Nice. She was PERFECT. Then I started pulling down and forward with quicker, unannounced pulls, if that makes sense, and thats when she started flying back and half rearing. She did that twice and then was like OH right. Did a few more of the quicker, surprise pulls (forward and downward) and she totally got it. Then I took her halter off and she was following me around, trotting next to me, stopping, turning, taking off, etc. Seems our Come To Jesus moment did a world of good. Of course every muscle in both arms do not agree. The longer Im not constantly moving, like watching TV or even the computer, they sieze up and omg talk about pain. I cant even take off my clothes, a simple action, without extreme pain. Waiting for the muscle relaxers and Biofreeze to kick in.....

Oh and going to the allergist tomorrow.. should be interesting. They arent as bad as they were 2 weeks ago but they are still annoying. Waiting on my prior authorization to go through at the insurance company so I can get my Xyzal covered.

Boocoo ? Glad to hear you, family and horses are all doing well. Hopefully you and Beau will be able to squeeze some shows into your busy schedule now that he is really coming into 2nd level so well.

Shantel ? Rex is really starting to look like a grown up!! Sorry to hear about the baby pigeons. As for Rex getting the bad end of Layla?s hooves in turnout ? some horses just cannot go out together EVER, so no, it might not get better. You might have to separate them for Rex?s safety. I know that?s not what you want to hear, but if they can?t sort themselves out, then separation is necessary. Razzle could NEVER be turned out with another horse. He was vicious. Just the way he was. Sounds like Layla, for whatever reason, does not appreciate Rex in her space, and Rex can?t manage to stay out of her space. There are only three things that can happen ? they work it out, they escalate, or you separate. At the rate they are going, I tend to think they are moving towards escalation rather than peace. It really worries me to hear that Layla had Rex pinned and was double barrel kicking him. That?s not good. How far are you willing to let this escalate before you separate them? Layla could do some permanent damage to Rex at the rate she is going especially considering that she has hind shoes on. I?m not sure I would continue to leave them together. At our barn, we never leave two horses together at all if one shows any propensity to kick at all because of the damage that can be done with hind shoes ? even in play. A scene like what you witnessed would have had Layla immediately pulled to individual turnout, and her board file permanently marked ?individual turnout only?. I am not trying to be harsh, but I do think leaving her and Rex together is a big risk to Rex. Horses have an innate ability to injure themselves without any outside help, so why take any unnecessary chances?? You want Rex to be your FEI horse, but one well placed kick from Layla could shatter his hock, and he?s done before you even get him under saddle. Just something to think about. Love the new show shirt. Very chic!! Layla is looking really great. Nice pictures. And it looks like all that 30-day shred has been paying off for you. You?re looking pretty nice yourself!! Bet Layla never saw that halter coming back into her life!! HA!! There is just no excuse for bad manners like that. Glad to hear she is coming around and learning to be a nice polite mare again. Rudeness like that is bound to get someone (probably you) hurt ? oh wait, it already did. How?s your hand healing? How is the rest of your body feeling?? I imagine you are going to be stiff and sore for quite awhile. You and Layla had quite the wrestling match.

KTS ? Glad to hear that both Riley and Bennigan are back under saddle. That?s great that Riley is coming back so fast. Glad to hear Amore is not neurologic, but too bad she is still going to need quite a bit of time off. If you are going to breed her, check into how her offspring is doing for real. If they are as nice as Nimue looks, then perhaps you want to stick with a proven cross. Glad to hear your personal life is looking up as well. Sandro Song is very popular right now. Sounds like Benny REALLY appreciates his new shoes. That makes paying those farrier bills a whole lot easier. Glad to hear Amore is doing better. Any idea what the issue is, or is it just a mystery offness that time seems to be healing?

CSA ? Nice to hear you are getting some good rides in with Cheese. Sorry to hear work isn?t going so well.

3Day ? Hope the interview went great!! Good luck in the upcoming show!!

Shiloh ? Sorry to hear about the show, but don?t give up on dressage. Showing is really luck of the draw on judges. For the most part, you usually end up with decent judges, but every so often you get a nasty one. Sounds like you really had a bad show overall though. Hopefully the next one will be better. Glad to hear Mir is going so well. Sorry to hear the new bit isn?t working out. I hate the whole bit shuffle thing. Been going through a few for Lieto trying to find the right one. Thankfully he seems to prefer cheap ones!! HEY, you got pics from your last show with Lucy, and you?re not sharing?!?! Not fair!! I want to see!!! I love Weim?s. What a pretty dog, but OUCH!! That was one expensive dog your parents had!!

Lieto has been doing great since getting put back on the Doxy. Really happy with him. I think we have finally found ?the? bit for him, a JP Korsteel heavy weight curve mouth eggbutt snaffle. He is finally starting to take a more consistent contact with this bit. We have also been able to get started on some baby shoulder-in and really baby trot lengthenings. I think he has finally started to fill out and put on some muscle as well. Just suddenly seems like there is more horse there when I groom him. I took some quick picks the other night after my lesson, and it is hard to tell, but he has put on weight. When I got him he weighed about 1365lbs, then he lost a ton of weight in the fall when he got so sick, and now he is weighing about 1425lbs. Also a lesson video from earlier this month.

http://www.youtube.com/user/smithereens86

Lieto0143s.jpg

Lieto0142s.jpg

~Shelly~

Aw, Shelly, he looks GREAT! You can tell he's got so much potential!

I here you on the weight bit. Riley's my big gangly hard keeper. It's so hard when they are that big. Mor's an air fern, but Riley finally put on the perfect weight while he was out of work this spring, and now 3 weeks into work, he's back to his gaunt looking self. Not that you can EVER feel or see any ribs, he just has these HUGE hip bones that stick out no matter what. I'm hoping that this rain will bring back my crispy pastures, or I'll need to supplement with some alfalfa. We all joke we want his metabolism.

Shelly - while I can appreciate the concern, this is the first time Ive ever seen Layla kick at any horse. Ive had her for over 8 years and we have been in various turn out situations, from her and just one horse to her with over 7 other horses with a mixture of geldings and mares. She is not one to be phyiscally aggressive in the least. She postures and pins her ears and snakes her head and Ive never seen her actually kick. I was also at the barn for over 14 hours a day taking care of the farm for almost 2 years and saw her all day and again, never that issue. If I thought it was truly escalating and dangerous, of course I would seperate them. At this point, it is no where near that. This is the only injury that has been inflicted by Layla. The other stuff he does to himself being nosy and there are a few bite marks on him from Ben and on Ben from Rex ya know being boys. And yes, I am pretty sore. Hand is better but now its like black and much bigger. And thanks for the compliments on the weight - Im trying. Its hard but its slow progress but any progress is good. Lieto IS much bigger. He looks much more mature. Cant get the video to load right now (stupid AOL) but Ill look later. Glad he is doing better!

Went to the allergist. I have to go back for that skin testing stuff. Ugh I hate that. But I got some samples in the mean time. Of course my insurance denyed any coverage for allergy meds from my PCP so hopefully when my allergist sends in paperwork to have it covered, they will agree. Its ridiculous after the amount of money you spend to have them deny prescription allergy meds just because there are OTC ones (which DONT work!)

Going to work on the wall again tonight... hopefully I can get the outside done.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

KTS ? I think Lieto will actually end up being an air fern, but the Lyme devastated his body and left him emaciated. Once we started medicating him, he packed the pounds back on, but they were all fat, and no muscle, so when we started him back to work, he was dropping the fat and adding the muscle. Add to that the fact that he is a growing youngster, and there are just so many changes going on with him, he is hard to keep up with right now. I think we finally have a nice balance. I swear though, one day he was looking hippy and ribby, and not long after that it was just WOW - bulky looking horse. I'm sure he will continue to change frequently over the next several years.

Shantel ? Sounds like Rex must have really crossed the line with Layla that day then to get a normally non-aggressive horse to come at him like that. Sometimes a slowly escalating situation has a way of sneaking up on you when you are in the middle of it which is the only reason I made the points I did because I know you keep a close eye on your ponies. You know them and the situation better than anyone else. You?ll just have to keep an eye on it and separate them if Rex can?t learn to mind his manners. In the meantime, you might want to evaluate your set up and make any adjustments to fencing, etc. that would be necessary just in case a separation does become necessary at some point down the road. Hopefully Rex will grow up and quit annoying Layla and Ben, though if he hasn?t stopped by now, he probably won?t. OMG, I hear you on getting allergy meds covered!!! What a royal pain!! They may be OTC here, but they are nearly impossible to actually buy due to the drug laws. I need either Claratin D or Allegra D, and because those have the stuff in it the kids use to make meth, they have passed laws in this state that the drug stores can?t put those products out on the shelves anymore. They have to be behind the counter like cigarettes. Most stores don?t have the room behind the counter for ALL the products that contain the active ingredient the meth people are after, so they only carry a random few. You take a chance that they may or may not have the product you need, and if they do, they will only let you buy one small box (a two week supply) at a time. Then you have to go from store to store to store searching for it all over again. No kidding. Every two weeks. Have I mentioned what a pain this is?? So I had my doctor write me a Rx for the med so that I could just get it filled once a month reliably from the same store ? then we had to jump through a million hoops to get it covered by insurance. Yeah, MAJOR PAIN!!!

~Shelly~

I have 2 larger pastures and 1 paddock behind the barn and am about to fence off the front of the house so I def am able to seperate them. I had to do this for about 1.5-2 months when I first got Rex and then when he had his surergy. So no problems there. I think it was a combo of Layla being in heat, Rex bugging her nonstop. Usually if he tries to bug her, she just pins her ears and snakes her head at him and he moves on to Ben. Ben will entertain his antics for a bit, playing tag and rearing and chasing and nibbling on each other and then when Ben is done, he ends it and Rex just goes about grazing and minding his business.

Just worked on the wall some... slowly coming together... whew!

Hey, you can't blame girl in heat for putting an obnoxious male in his place when he just won't take a nice hint to knock it off!! I'm telling you, there are days when I sure wish I could kick a few males in my life who can't take a nice hint to back off! HA!!!

~Shelly~

ROFL Well unfortunately for Randy, I *do* tell him off when I get sick of him. LOL At least he understands that Im like Layla, all bark and no bite, UNLESS you push me too far.

Rex reminds me of Stuart from SNL... "I can doooo it.... lemme doooo it..." and then "oooo Look what I can do!!!" If you havent seen that, look it up on youtube. Pretty freaking funny.

I don't actually HAVE the pics yet, and honestly most of them are really poorly taken since the photographer was at the short end of the ring. I'm going to buy the two I like, and then I will share.

We sold 4 dozen eggs and 5 chicks today, and I rehomed the rabbits with the girl who came to buy eggs. She is an ag teacher and has a couple students who show rabbits, and a couple who just like them as pets. She was talking about having given away a rabbit recently, and then another kid was complaining that HE didn't get the rabbit. So I told her I had two rabbits that I had been trying to rehome for a year, and no one who didn't want to eat them was interested. So she took them, and their cage and food, and is going to give them to one of her students.

Lucy has chilled out with her new bit, though I did end up having to put her in draw reins again because of the rude head-tossing. She does it just because she can, and because she prefers to do her downward transitions by plowing onto the forehand because it's easier for her. So a bit of time in the draw reins cures the rudeness. She hits them when she decides to yank on the reins, and then goes "oh, I guess I shouldn't do that".

How did the show go? Cant wait to see the pics. Yay on selling eggs and chicks and rehoming the rabbits! Sounds like the perfect situation.

I hear ya on the rudeness. Thats just like Layla and the Be Nice halter. It only engages when she pulls back. Dont pull back and it wont tighten. I dont see any problem with draw reins when used like you mention. Dont fight her because in the end, you wont win. She will always be stronger than you. Let her fight herself - wonderful concept!

Going to go change and hook up the trailer... going to ride with Jill.. its already so freaking hot... *sigh*

Shelly!!! That''s all I got at this point as I'm just getting home from an amazing night out...oh yeh it's 4am. YUP fun night! Interview went FANTASTIC!!! I'll fill you in more later via email. Just wanted to say Lieto looks great :) Miss you...will email you!

CSA- Heads up for you if you want to come watch a lesson. I have one Friday morning :)

So yesterday was fun... again. Hook up the trailer, no reaction from Layla. Go to the barn & load up my stuff, still no reaction. Put my half chaps & boots on, no reaction. Go out with cookies & it starts. Galloping like crazy, bucking, basically doing whatever she could not to get caught. Of course this starts Ben & Rex running until they figured out that it was too hot for all the ruckus & stood in the corner while Layla continued on with her crazy act.

I had opened the gate to the round pen figuring dumb@$$ would run in there... yup she did. So I made her keep going in the round pen until she decided to stop & come to me. Of course she was pouring sweat but oh well - you have enough energy to run around like an idiot, you have enough energy to get worked.

So tried to get her to drink, no go. Get to Jills, have a GREAT ride, again, & then we walked around one of the ponds to cool off & I convienced Layla to drink some of the water. Total nonevent after I got her but geezus. What is with her lately? Jill thinks its the extra sugar in the grass but I honestly dont care. Layla is 15 now & has been totally chill & wonderful for the last 4-5 yrs. What gives?!?

But as I said, ride was great. We rode through 1-3 for the first time. Really like it. On paper it didnt seem to flow but when you ride it, it really does flow nicely. But at the show on the 8th, Im showing 1-2 & 1-4. I didnt want to risk mixing either of those up with 1-3.

Was hoping to finish the outside of the stone wall today but we are getting bad tstorms soon. The appraiser is coming tomorrow but Im sure he will see it is a work in progress.

Gotta get some breakfast & maybe do some work on the wall before the weather moves in....

Got the far right side done... still no rain. But yay for me!

stonewall2.jpg

stonewall1.jpg

And this is the outside corner. Randy did this a few days ago & I started on the far left side... almost done with the front!

stonecorner1.jpg

Shantel, your wall is so cool! As for Layla, maybe she's just feeling good because of her hooves? Who knows.

Mir dumped me yesterday. He let out this HUGE buck, no warning, nothing bothering him. I think he sometimes just forgets I'm on him and can't stay with his antics. He did stand totally still, and when I got back on he was shaken up. I don't think he was trying to be mean, I just think he's absurdly athletic and doesn't realize that I don't stay with him when he does naughty things. So I'm debating sending him somewhere for a month to get the bugs in the canter worked out, or seeing if my friend, who has broken tons of babies, can come down for a week and work with him and me. I would rather do the latter, since I trust her, have seen her work, and she did a ton with Lucy. She could have Mir and I straightened out in no time.

Thankfully I didn't hit my head, but I had to stiffen up my neck to keep from hitting my head. So I have a killer headache, and I'm all sore.

Lucy was wonderful today though. Still in draw reins, and OMG she can half-pass in the canter when she's not looking for excuses to fling her head and run off. So I'm going to keep her in them for a bit longer, get her going really nicely consistently, and then take them off.

Just a vent...

Randy is on the boat for his week on. Started on Thursday AM. Since then, the only time he calls or texts me is to see if I worked on the stone wall any, if I returned his stuff to Home Depot, or to simply say Good night.

So whatever, I called him to say goodnight last night and he was already in his bed and told me he was on his computer, checking the Jags forums. Blah blah, I go to bed. Again, no word from him today until he signs on to AOL to ask how the wall is going. AGAIN. How about Hi How are you? Hows your day going?!

Well now I just check my FB and see him posting about his "2 day dog sitting adventure that is coming up."

Uhmm WHAT? What dog sitting adventure. So I called him (of course the first thing he does is ask about the wall and if I put the border around the tree area.. ugh!) and ask about this dog sitting thing. And hes like Yeh remember I told you about it. And I reminded him that he hadnt. And he said yes I did I talked to you about it. So I had to remind him that the only thing he TALKS to me about lately is the effin wall or going to Home Depot, etc. So I love the fact that hes bringing another dog to live at our house for 2 days without even talking to me about it. Then he doesnt get why Im annoyed nor does he get that Im pissed because he can only seem to call me about 2 things (Im sure you get it, the wall and Home Depot...) Then he says that when I spoke to him last night, he was reading his book and must have forgotten to mention the friends dog. WTH? You were not reading your book, you were on the computer looking at the Jags forum. Then on his FB he had posted that he ate a bunch of cookies and then replies back but instead of the word cookies he puts donut. Thats not a big deal but it just shows that he has no clue what he is doing. To me, you either keep messing up what you say and back track because you arent telling the truth or you are really screwed up. Im interested to see whatever lame lie he can come up with instead of just being straight forward.

Of course, seeing as he said he doesnt want "to talk to me like this" (meaning me pissed at him) then I guess we wont be talking for a while.

Trivial at best but still. I dont do well with people who arent truthful and then try to cover their tracks with more mistruths. Nor do I do well with a husband who can only seem to call me to ask if I worked on something and not even say HELLO.

*vent off*

Shantel- Oh man. Men!! What gives Randy?? I agree with you that a hello or a how are you doing today sweetheart is always wanted. Sounds like its just one of those days. Though your stone wall looks AWESOME!!! Nice job! Hmm interesting about Layla...glad that you had a good ride on her!

Shiloh- Oh no!! Thank goodness you're ok!! Glad to hear Lucy is going better!

Though I'd post some pics of the ponyboy doing flat when I was in SC. You all may or may not have seen them.

AikenSc.jpg

AikenSc10.jpg

Aikentrot.jpg

Aikentrot2.jpg

Aikencute.jpg

AikenFlat.jpg

Whew. ok done!

3Day-Let me know a time. If it isn't to late I should be able to watch.

KTM-Men can be a real pain in the butt. Mine had me thinking the D word a couple of weeks ago.The wall looks real pretty with the stone.

Shiloh-Ouch. I am asuming you walked away ok.The canter work can be the worst ehrn training a young one. It seems to be the time they want to play.

I had a incredibly busy weekend/end of work week. Friday was clean horse and tack.I went to work Friday night and left a little early. Went straight to the barn and help loaded Cheese.Went home to grab everything and met the BO at the show ground. My niece was sick this weekend so no leadline. I did the theraputic division. Cheese was pretty good. Walking was an issue. She got excited when she saw the barrels on the outside of the ring. Trail class we kicked butt.If you give Dheese a job she is so much better. She doesn't view going around a ring a job. I took her into the walk/trot classes of versatitlity and she lost it. She would not bend to the inside.She was perfect warming up. It is truely frustrating not being able to school herbecause she id good. Than she just loses all her brain cells. I think I am going to give up showing on her.I don't know. Somerhing I really have to think about. Hubby and I left around 2. The BO

After all of that I decided I wanted something easy for dinner.So I decided to makes some chicken in the crockpot with salsa ans bean with some quinoa on the side. Well I put it in the crockpot and check about haalfway through the cooking. The lid was [artially off. I fixed that and checked an hour later. Well I thought I had the darn thing set on medium. Well evidently there is no medium and it was off. So what was supposed to take a couple of hours took half the day. said she would take care of Cheese for me. I love my BO. They are so easy to get along with. They said that the show went to 5. Hubby and I went and grabbed something to eat and got some sleep. Got up at night and did the work thing again. It was a very exhausting weekend. Of course we forgot the sunscreem.

Just read through everyone's posts.

Shantel, glad you got Layla sorted out. Beau used to set back all the time when I first got him. Not fun, especially a horse the size of him and he would be truly scared to death with a very strong flight instinct. As for Randy, wait and talk in person. Much better to sort things out face to face.

Beckham, glad you got the mini all sorted out. Hope everything else is going well.

3day, great pics of you and Scotch.

Smithereens, Lieto is looking fantastic. Glad you are able to ride him again and he is settling in. Any idea how long he will have to be on the doxy?

My son and I just got back home from a weekend at my MIL's. My hubby met us there on Friday night and we spent the weekend. We had a great time. Hubby should be home for good in a couple more weeks.

I have lost 30#'s so far. Wow does it feel good. I need to loose about 30 more, but it's coming off now and I have finally developed some will power to resist eating too much and things I shouldn't eat. No more soda either. All I drink anymore is water. Tea if we go out and the occasional glass of low fat milk.

Crazy week at work it will be. We are testing all week long!

Boocoo!!! YOU LIVE!!!!! Great to hear from you. DARN GIRL, 30lbs!! That is fantastic, and not easy to do. I know. I lost 50lbs total. Once you start though, it does get easier. I think the last 5-10lbs was the hardest. I still haven't lost them!!! I think I hit the point where I said close enough. How are Beau and Bobby doing??? I know you have been incredibly busy with life and everything else you have going on. Hope the training is going well. Any shows coming up?? Still on track for 2nd level with Beau this year?? You have worked so hard for it, and really are ready.

The Doxy . . . well theoretically, according to my vet, Lieto could be on a low dose of Doxy for life if that's what he needs, but I'm guessing that I couldn't show him on the Doxy (since it is an anti-inflammatory???). I would have to check on whether or not it is a legal drug, but either way, that is not an ideal solution. Most horses take 6 months to a year on Doxy to clean their system, and then are more prone to relapse after that. He is on his second 90 day cycle right now, so that will get us up to 6 months worth of Doxy, then we will taper him off and see what we have. If he replapses, I am guessing that means we try another 90 day cycle, etc. and continue until we can wean him off of it with no relapse. He had a REALLY BAD case of it though, so I did anticipate that it would take at least 6 months worth of Doxy if not a year, and my vet agrees. She said that his treatment will be a matter of patience and longevity. Markel has been PHENOMENAL!! Honestly, I just can not sing the praises of an insurance company enough. They have been paying for the Doxy and the vet bills, so I'm not too worried about the financial end of this. If he needs it, he gets it!!

~Shelly~

Shantel ? HA!! Yes, I do know that SNL skit. Very funny. I can see Rex having that personality. Lieto is more of the ADD type that waffles constantly between, ?What?s that? Will you be my friend? What?s that?? Super hard to get him to focus on work there is any sort of activity in the barn. We get more done at night when the barn is quiet and our only disturbance is usually the barn kitty playing in the ring with us, which sadly is enough to distract him. Weekends, however, are very difficult for him, but he needs to learn or showing will be impossible!! Shantel, that wall is AMAZING!!! Really nice job. That should bring up the value on your property. What a great wall. As for Layla, part spring fever, part just feeling great. You have been spending so much of the last several years really putting effort into getting her joints, feet and feed just right ? getting her weight to the right level, her supplements right, balancing everything about her care, etc. You have put A LOT of time and effort into her. Looks like she is just really, really feeling GOOD!!! I think your hard work is paying off, though perhaps not in all the ways you had hoped since you now seem to have to chase her down to just to ride her!! HA!! Bad Layla!! But at least she is feeling good! RANDY!!!! Men can have such a one track mind, I swear. He does need straightening out, but I agree with Boocoo that I would wait for him to get home. Before you totally go off on him, and this is in NO WAY an excuse, but perhaps the reason why he is jumping on you about the WALL and nothing else. I can only guess that he is worried about the appraiser coming and would like the wall done so that the house is valued as high as possible. He may even be feeling some guilt for not being there to help you with the wall, so he doesn?t know what to say to you because he is guilty for not being there, and when he does talk to you all he can think about is THE WALL. That however is absolutely NO EXCUSE for skipping the niceties such as hello, how are you, etc., or even just calling to check in and see how your day went. No excuse whatsoever, but when you do get around to sitting him down and letting him know which way the world works, just something to keep stowed in the back of your mind!!! I like to go into all my battles well armed!! HA!!!

Shiloh ? Ick!! I had a photographer stand at the short side of the arena once, and the photos came out terrible. Why do they do that?? I went through all the photos the photographer took that day, and they ALL came out bad. It is just a bad, bad location to try to take pictures from ? video yes, photos no. Great news on the eggs, chicks and rabbits!! I had to use draw reins on Razzle for the exact same reason. Rude, nasty head flipping. He learned his lesson very quickly, though every once in a while, we had to dig those draw reins back out and have a reminder session. They are a really great way of letting a horse ?self-punish? a really bad behavior. WOW, so very glad you were able to protect your head, Shiloh!! I agree, don?t think Mir was being nasty. If he was, he would have bolted for the hills after dumping you and wouldn?t have been shaken up by your fall. Sounds more like he was having the 3/4yo canter friskies that youngsters so often have. Hard to go forward, little trouble getting into the canter, just easier to BUCK into it. I think you are right ? either send him to your friend for a little while to try to work out the canter, or see if your friend can come give you a hand. He might just be struggling with some balance issues in the canter that a new exercise or way of approaching the canter could help you sort out. Or perhaps he is going through a bit of a growth spurt which has him a little unbalanced and awkward?? Glad to hear you are okay. Ride carefully!!

3Day ? You party girl, dragging in at 4AM!!! HA!! Glad to hear the interview went so well. Scotch is so darn cute!! Love those pictures.

CSA ? Sorry to hear the show didn?t go well, but if you went straight from working all night to showing, I?m not surprised. You were probably tired and not as focused as you needed to be on your riding. Also, if this was the first show of the season, then I would expect Cheese to be a bit of a fruit. It takes some regular show miles for them to really settle in. Have you thought about giving her some Quietex or something of that sort to help her out at shows so that she can just chill and listen to you without getting so wound up?? Sorry to hear your dinner took so much time and effort, but again, goes to show how tired and wiped out and unfocused you were. Probably not the type of mistake you would have made if you had enough sleep. I do the same thing when I am totally exhausted and sleep deprived. Cut yourself (and Cheese) some slack. Sounds like you did pretty well considering the conditions.

So I finally got sick to death of Lieto?s mane this weekend and did away with it. Jack wanted me to let it grow out in the Andalusian style, but he doesn?t have the nice flowy Andalusian mane. He has pony mane. Thick, thick, thick!! It would have been thick enough to divide in half and do a french braid down both sides of his neck. It is also coarse and in the way. The kind that you get your hands and reins caught up in, so it needs to be braided every time you ride, unfortunately, I don?t have the time for that, nor was it long enough yet for a french braid to stay in while riding, so I put a series of braids in and left them in, redoing them every couple of weeks. They got nasty and icky and just gross. It was a pain to keep redoing them, and honestly, I had just had ENOUGH!!! So the mane got hacked off this weekend. Sooooo ever much happier with it nice and short. It will have to be retrimmed again once the curl from the braids relaxes, but not only did I have to shorten it significantly, but I also had to flip it over to the other side and shave half of it off to thin it some. I still could have shaved half of what is still there off again, and MAYBE ended up with a mane of a respectable thickness. It is still so thick right now, that I?m not sure what I am going to do with it. Think Thewell Pony mane. Seriously!!!

The beginning . . .

Lieto0144s.jpg

Unbraided . . .

Lieto0145s.jpg

Combed out . . .

Lieto0146s.jpg

DONE!!!

Lieto0147s.jpg

The enormous pile of left over mane hair when I was done:

Lieto0148s.jpg

~Shelly~

Shelly, Mir's mane is the same way when I have let it grow out. I always end up roaching it for simplicity, though when I do start showing him I'll have to let it grow some. You cannot show with a roached mane on the Arab circuit unless you are doing reining.

CSA, I know how you feel about showing. Lucy does the same thing. What helps somewhat is to NOT warm up much in the canter, and to do a lot of lateral work in the warmup, as well as lots of changes of direction and other attention-grabbing things. Of course, sometimes the actual test doesn't have enough of those attention-grabbing movements, and once she gets cantering in the test, sometimes I cannot get her to stop. I've learned the hard way that we only do tests with all of the canter work at the end, and just trot down the centerline at the end. If there is any actual trot work after the canter, she will just blow it all.

Shelly, that makes a lot of sense. I told him I wasnt mad at him but I was just upset that he kept on and on about the wall without even saying hi. He sent me a text last night around 130am while I was sleeping where he basically said he was sorry and didnt mean to take me for granted (I guess he means as far as not truly talking to me, asking how I was??) and will try to do better. Its hard to stay mad at him. Which is good though because I used to never let things go. But its so much easier now. And wow about Lietos mane!!! I thought it looked long in the first set of pics you posted but wow. I bet it will be so much cooler for him and not as itchy. Rexs mane is getting kind of lengthy too.. Thankfully its no where NEAR as thick as Laylas.

I suppose Layla IS feeling that good. I mean with the heart bars and the small pad on the left front, her knees are like totally even therefore her muscles in her chest/neck/shoulder area are so much looser and she does feel amazing under saddle. Im just so used to my "doesnt place a foot wrong" worker TB that Im really frazzled by her antics. I have also been bringing her in just to groom or give cookies so she doesnt think everytime I bring her in she has to work.

So I keep seeing and reading about people who are lungeing/long lining their 3 y/os (well even 2.5 yo) WBs and lightly backing them. Hilda Gurney in DT has an article about the way she starts her babies and that she wants them in shape enough that at 3 they are ready to take a rider. Saying she lunges them or round pens them 2-3 days a week from 2.5 on. I dunno... to me that seems a little excessive. Ive lunged Rex like maybe 3-4 times total. I guess I *could* start lightly working him once a week.... what do you guys think? Im like overly worried about over working.

csa, I totally get what you mean about great in the warmup and nut in the ring. Layla is like that sometimes too. Shes even great going AROUND the arena but as soon as we enter at A, she will be a tard.

Lunch time...

Shiloh ? I wouldn?t have minded the long mane. Would have been nice even if it was nice and flowy and soft. But that thick, coarse, nasty mess of a mane just was NOT nice at all. It had to go. Now I know why he had a short mane when I got him!! HA!! Part of show success is knowing what types of tests your horse will do best in and working with that.

Shantel ? Due to the fact that English is not Jack?s first language we tend to have some pretty frequent communication gaps. I think we have both had to get a lot better at stopping and trying to put ourselves in the other person?s shoes before leaping to conclusions simply because of that communication gap. I?m glad you and Randy were able to talk things out. He probably didn?t even realize what he was doing, he was just so focused on the wall. Funny thing is about Lieto?s mane is that it keeps getting thicker, but it stopped getting any longer which is another BIG reason why I gave up on it. It hasn?t gotten any longer since about August or September. Just quit growing, like that?s as long as it will get ? DONE!! ?? How odd, but seems like that?s it, and that is NOT long enough to french braid.

This is a picture from back in very early September - same length:

Lieto0111.jpg

One of the things that the vet told me when I made some big changes to Lieto?s diet was that with the initial ?feel better? change, I would see some pretty out of the ordinary behavior, and it may be better to just let him have some time off because he could be ?hot?, but after a month or so, he would adjust and get back to a more ?normal? version of the horse I was used to seeing. So this could just be a ?WOO-HOOO!!? type reaction to the new shoes. She might just be feeling THAT much better. Give her a chance to settle in and adjust, and I don?t mean stop riding her, I just mean tolerate her pain the behind antics, and she should get back to a more normal Layla when the newness wears off. How old is Rex again?? Is he 2yo or 3yo this year?? Sorry, but I just don?t believe in doing much of anything at all until they are at least 3yo. The minimal amount of stuff you have been doing thus far is totally appropriate for a 2yo. If he is 3yo, then yes, you could definitely step it up a little. My one concern with him would be the same concern that I have with Lieto ? he?s a big horse. Big horses mature slower, and you want to give them EXTRA time to grow and mature before you start working them. Lieto is 4yo, turning 5yo on May 22nd; however, we are treating him more as a 3yo, turning 4yo simply because of his height. He is sound right now, and I want him to stay that way for a long, long, long time. Doesn?t Rex already have some OCD issues or some such that may require surgery at some point? If so, I would most definitely be holding off a little extra time in starting him. Give him every opportunity to grow and mature before starting him and putting any stress on his joints. You have Layla, so there is no rush to get Rex started. Just let him grow up. Don?t feel the ?pressure of the Jones? to keep up with everyone else. Think about the long term soundness of your baby horse, and don?t stress about whether you have done enough with him yet. He?s fine!!! You are doing great!! And as a point of reference, when I got Lieto as a just turned 4yo, he had about 6 months worth of training on him total spanned out over the previous year. The Belasiks started him very, very slowly, then turned him out for the winter of his 3yo year.

~Shelly~

You guys are chatty today....

We actually had to put our old mini boy down on Thurs. He was not recovering quickly and an x-ray revealed a huge entrolith in his colon. Surgery at this point would have been very hard on a 25 yr old and he also had a lung that was 15% compromised. He was my brother's horse; he showed him when he was little. So he went down to OSU and spent some time with him out in the sun and stayed when he was put down. He is dating a vet student, so she was there as well. Was a crappy end to the week.