Sign in to follow this  
Blueribbonhorse97

Joint Supplement Help

I'm looking to get my mare started on a new flex supplement, but she is such a picky eater so it's been a difficult task. I'm curious what some of you have tried and had success with. My horse has some stiffness/mobility problems, so it's really important that I have a quality supplement. I want to be sure she gets MSM, HA, and glucosamine. I am interested in trying Absorbine's Flex+Max, has anyone had experience with that? I am skeptical of it, because I've never considered Absorbine as a supplement company.

Thanks! [Jump]

Be careful with oral joint supplements. There is little hard core research out there supporting their usefulness. Any studies I can find are shortcoming as they are not double-blinded, meaning the people involved knew the horses being used in the test. Could lead to biasness, etc.

Currently most if not all oral joint supplements are labeled as "nutritional" where as if they were deemed "medical" they would undergo stict testing by the FDA to prove their effectiveness with actual evidence.

On the counterpart, there are no studies showing that the use of an oral joint supplement will be damaging to your horse, regardless of their effectivness (or lack of.)

I feel the key to the effectivness of an oral joint supplement is in preventative maintenance. The earlier you use it, the better results you may get in the long run.

Smart Pak now offers free samples of most (if not all) the supplements they offer. At least you could find something that your mare will eat.

Be careful with oral joint supplements. There is little hard core research out there supporting their usefulness. Any studies I can find are shortcoming as they are not double-blinded, meaning the people involved knew the horses being used in the test. Could lead to biasness, etc.

I'm right there with you on this one! I think you're spot on. Honestly, I feel like the feed-thru joint supplements provide more reassurance to the horse owner than actual effectiveness. CCJ gave me some good stats on this when I was thinking about putting my gelding on something and I eventually reached the decision that it probably isn't worth it unless you've got the money to spend anyway and are convinced of what you're feeding (that it won't have adverse long-term affects, your horse is actually going to consume it, its the "right" balance, etc). Right now I'm considering going back to the route of Adequan or Legend injections or possibly just straight up generic glucosomine injection.

If you are set on this path, I agree that Smartpak (while it can be spendy in the long run) has the best options for trials of their products.

"One of the oldest joint supplements on the market is Cosequin, which contains low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and manganese ascorbate. McIlwraith commented that this company was one of the few that actually had conducted research on its product, and that other companies have often "borrowed" that data and applied it to their own products, which might or might not have the same ingredients".

"Available on the company's website (www.cosequin.com) are the results of five studies that showed positive effects of Cosequin. The studies using live horses found that Cosequin supplementation was safe and effective, but the number of horses used in these studies was small. In addition, one study was not blinded or controlled. They also have in vitro studies that suggested the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate complemented one another and was more beneficial than either compound alone".

And there is not yet documented proof that HA can be absorbed from an oral source, although I am really happy with the joint supplement I am using, but it could be a few other reasons my horse is moving so well these days :confused0024:

Joint supplements can help some but they are not going to take a horse to the levels of soundness that an injectable like Adequan will.

The stomach weeds out things that it finds that are foreign to it and some of the oral joint supplement will be absorbed, some won't. I used Max-Flex on my Percheron and it did help her. She was noticeably more stiff without it.

With injectables, you also have the risk of infection and, over time, they are less and less effective. On the track, the needle is the very last resort because once you strat it, then you have to keep on using injectables and after injectables, there is nothing else to go to.