Eclipsebobbysnickers

Saddle Size?

Eclipse, there are a number of things that factor in...how long your thigh is, how forward the flap is, how deep the seat is, etc. Hence the suggestion of sitting in various saddles.

A guess, would be to add 2" to the size of your current western saddle - if a 15", then it would be 17" in an english saddle (approx....but again, depends on the saddle)

My guess is, you would probably fit in a 16.5" to a 17.5" saddle. You generally want approx. 2" of flap in front of your knee, and should be able to place a flat palms width in between you and the pommel, and one behind your butt and the cantle. I can ride in a 16.5 - 17.5, it just depends on how flat or deep the saddle is.

This link has some decent photos of fitting english and western saddles: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publication...e_2008-06pr.pdf

I can't find exactly what I am looking for, hope this gives you a better idea.

The general rule of thumb is you should be able to fit 4 fingers in front and behind where you sit in the saddle. To figure out what size you need, you should go to a tack store and sit in saddles. Hopefully, there should be someone working there to help you who knows how to fit people into english saddles.