Katie Schuur

Stupid Parents!

I agree that whoever was supposes to be watching the child failed miserably and should have not allowed the child to remain in the pasture with the horses. But I disagree that the horse is a saint. To me the horse is disrespectful of humans, perhaps not trained properly. The response a properly trained horse should have given would be to turn to the child and allow her to approach. This horse continues to threaten and turn its butt toward the child and eventually runs over her. I would like to know how he acts when an adult tries to catch him. If one of my horses turns its butt toward a human, the least it gets is a verbal correction. If I have something to hand, it gets a physical correction, a pop on the butt. If one of my horses pins its ears and moves toward me in a threatening manner, it sure enough gets a correction. The child was not being mean or threatening toward the horse, she was trying to pet it. The horse should have allowed that. I think this horse could benefit from some round penning and respect lessons. IMO, a horse should not act that way toward any human, large or small.

Um wire..?

Obviously this horse was tortured to the point where it had enough. That does not mean that the horse needs *More* training. It did well moving away from the girls body language if I do say so myself.

I would say it is a lesson *well learned* I bet you the girl didnt go and do the same thing again.

I agree that whoever was supposes to be watching the child failed miserably and should have not allowed the child to remain in the pasture with the horses. But I disagree that the horse is a saint. To me the horse is disrespectful of humans, perhaps not trained properly. The response a properly trained horse should have given would be to turn to the child and allow her to approach. This horse continues to threaten and turn its butt toward the child and eventually runs over her. I would like to know how he acts when an adult tries to catch him. If one of my horses turns its butt toward a human, the least it gets is a verbal correction. If I have something to hand, it gets a physical correction, a pop on the butt. If one of my horses pins its ears and moves toward me in a threatening manner, it sure enough gets a correction. The child was not being mean or threatening toward the horse, she was trying to pet it. The horse should have allowed that. I think this horse could benefit from some round penning and respect lessons. IMO, a horse should not act that way toward any human, large or small.

We are kind of at a disadvantage though, for the fact that we can't see everything that happened up until this point. Who knows - at first perhaps the horse DID turn to her and allow her to pet him, etc. He may have allowed her to pet on him and then got tired of it - we don't know. The video begins with the child calling out the horse's name (Unintelligible) and saying "stop". Then chasing him around, saying his name and telling him to "stop". We don't know how long this exchange was going on before the horse finally had enough.

When I first ran across this video, my thought process went a little something like this:

"What is that little girl doing out there"

"Oh good grief! She's trying to act like Mommy by putting her hands on her hips and talking sternly to the horse, the parents think it's cute so decided to film it"

"GET THAT KID OUT OF THERE ALREADY!!"

"STUPID PARENTS! HELLO!!!!!"

And then finally: "See... That's what ya get... a hurt kid. Bravo - give yourselves a parenting trophy".

But again, we honestly have no idea what events took place up until then. The move that the horse decided to make was a non-lethal one (as opposed to a kick or trampling her) so therefore he really is a good boy. No telling how long he put up with it from her.

I've never heard of a horse doing that. Learn something new every day. Maybe Fugly should see this one [surrender]

I think that horse just had enough of that kid. How long was that child harassing those horses before the parent or minder decided it was so cute and wanted it on film.

The child was too young and inexperienced to read the horse, so was the person filming.

The horse tried to walk away and gave plenty of warning.

If that horse had wanted to hurt that child it would have. All it did is push her to the ground.

She got a little dirty and hopefully a lot smarter. Good horse, smart too.

I've never heard of a horse doing that. Learn something new every day. Maybe Fugly should see this one [surrender]

I keep seeing stuff about "FUGLY" but I don't know what it is. Could someone explain please? Thanks

I keep seeing stuff about "FUGLY" but I don't know what it is. Could someone explain please? Thanks
It's a blog that is written online called "Fugly horse of the day". I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, but you should be able to google it.

Just google Fugly Horse. It'll come right up.

I've got a 4 year old grandson that follows me around everywhere when he's here. When I'm working with the horses, I have him climb up on the gate and watch. He's a typical 4 yr old boy and does the usual running, jumping, screaming and hollering. At least when he's hanging onto the gate he's not out with the horses startling them. After I'm done with whatever I'm doing, I'll let him come into the fence and pet them only under close supervision. We've got some really good natured horses, but even with that, I won't turn a small kid loose in with them. Horses are horses and kids will be kids. Adult supervision required when mixing the two.

Here's another fine example of a horse losing his patience with a kid, after the kid punched the horse in the gut. No lead rope, no halter, doing I-don't-know-what with a person holding the video camera:

Now again, I have no idea what events led up to this, but I find myself wondering where the parents were, and why they would allow a child to handle the horse improperly. SUPERVISE YOUR KIDS and teach them how to correctly handle a horse!!!!! I learned the hard way when it came to supervising kids with horses (I know everyone must remember the lead-rope incident with my teenage son) but he knew better - that's the difference. I think that obviously these kids don't know any better, or they are getting ROTTEN advice/training from their parents. I also fear that with the economy in the crapper and horses going to new homes for next to nothing, there are more and more first-time horse owners who may be exposing their naive' children to horses, resulting in many more instances just like these, and unfortunately it'll be the horse that is blamed in the end. He'll be labeled "dangerous" by the ignorant new owners, and we all know the unfortunate path a horse can take with that label.

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

With the horse market depressed like it is there are people buying horses who couldn't afford to before and are pretty much clueless. Naturally, there's going to be train wrecks like the ones in those videos. And the horse is going to get blamed for the poor horsemanship of the owners. When Ruby stepped on my foot and broke my big toe, it wasn't her fault. Actually she did a quick step getting off of my foot. It was my fault for letting my foot get under her in the first place. But there's too many people today who won't take responsibility for their own actions and look to blame anyone or thing else rather than look at themselves. Unfortunately in these cases the horse is going to suffer for thier ignorance.

Its been taken down, although I can get the jist of it.

Why are people so stupid? Regardless of the horse's intent, no child should be unsupervised around horses. Period.

Why are people so stupid? Regardless of the horse's intent, no child should be unsupervised around horses. Period.

Both video links are still working, but the second one is kind of touchy. Try the link once again.

And to answer your question on why people are stupid - I have no idea, LOL! All I know is that God loves stupid people, which must be why he made so many of them. [Crazy]

wow that horse bit her and picked her up and then ran for it. [shocked]

stupid parents. that was a big horse by the way. if he wanted ot hurt her he could of. I guess he ran away because he was afraid she would get up and hit him again. who knows.

RRRR

Okay I got around to it and emailed Fugly the link, and I've had quite an entertaining exchange of emails with her tonight :) So let's just say that she's definitely opinionated on this matter, LOL!

Both video links are still working, but the second one is kind of touchy. Try the link once again.

....I think she may have meant the Fugly site which had been experiencing problems over the last few days.

Sorry, I don't see that the child was "torturing" the horse. She was trying to approach it. It doesn't matter how long she had been trying to approach it. Substitute adult with halter and lead rope for child and y'all would be singing a different tune about the horse. If I go to catch my horse and he turns his butt toward me or pins his ears and comes after me, am I "torturing" the horse by trying to catch him? If he continues to avoid being caught, do I just give up because to continue would be "torturing" him. No, as long as I buy his feed, he best not show me that kind of disrespect. Sorry, the horse was agressive and disrespectful. No domesticated horse should show that kind a behavior to a human.

Sorry, I don't see that the child was "torturing" the horse. She was trying to approach it. It doesn't matter how long she had been trying to approach it. Substitute adult with halter and lead rope for child and y'all would be singing a different tune about the horse. If I go to catch my horse and he turns his butt toward me or pins his ears and comes after me, am I "torturing" the horse by trying to catch him? If he continues to avoid being caught, do I just give up because to continue would be "torturing" him. No, as long as I buy his feed, he best not show me that kind of disrespect. Sorry, the horse was agressive and disrespectful. No domesticated horse should show that kind a behavior to a human.

Apparently after exchanging emails with Fugly, she posted the video to her website as well. And wire - I am going to have to quote Fugly on this one, because she seems to convey the same message that I would have liked to convey in response to your post. Here's what she said:

"Yes, the horse did it deliberately and no, he is not a bad horse. He is a horse who was being annoyed by a small and noisy thing. I doubt it registered on him that the small, noisy thing was a human. It seemed to him to be a small, noisy animal, and when it kept coming after him after he had told it very clearly in horse-ese that he did not wish to be disturbed, he smooshed it to make it stop. He didn?t stumble, and I don?t see that the other horse threatened him. He smooshed it to make it stop which was a perfectly normal reaction for a herd animal being attacked by a small, noisy animal that might be something like a dog that could bite him." - Fugly Horse Of The Day.

My thoughts exactly. [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]

Yeah, that horse might be a rank so-n-so. Might also have been a 2 or 3 y/o trying to move up ini the herd ranking. Doesn't matter.

WE AS ADULTS understand the equine body language. We as adults have been taught/trained on how to properly approach a horse in an open field situation, with herdmates in attendance. We KNOW what ears pinned, swishing tail, snaking neck mean. Consequently, we as adults can correct the behavior, drive the horse off and take the alpha position.

Wee human child? Not.

Exactly. We as adults know better than to just follow a horse around a pasture, nagging it to death. If that was my horse and he acted like that I'd chase him off and make him run until he turned to face me.

So yes, if you substituted an adult in that situation I'd think it was a stupid adult who didn't know how to catch a horse. In this case its a child who doesn't know better because apparently her parents don't know any better.

Even my 2 year old knows not to walk behind a horse. And she sure as heck doesn't run around the pastures unattended.

That horse tried so many times just to avoid that little girl annoying him (through no fault of her own) - then finally had to MAKE her stop.

Eh, I still kind of see a stumble. If you watch closely, its left front slips, which causes him to try and catch himself with his right, but he lands on his pastern and then tries to catch the rest of himself. I do say though I think the horse was attempting some kind of threat, or possible attack.

I watched the slow motion a couple times and I would say the horse was side passing with the intent to scare the child off. That was gentleness on the horses part rather than throwing the back end around. But as far as lowering to get to the child level I saw just stumbling to bring that about. My youngest grandson after being told many times slipped away from his Mother and I in the paddock while my Arabian and paint were eating. The young paint was backing up fast to avoid being bit by the Arabian and knocked my grandson down with one leg beside his head and the other above his chest. I noticed it imediately and ran over to steady her to not move. She had froze the minute she felt the boy under her. My daughter had frozen in fear but later came over and pulled him out while I steadied the horse. No way do I allow kids around my horses without me and a halter and lead on the horse.