Sign in to follow this  
MyDaddysJag

Tribute Feeds

Does anyone have experience with Tribute feeds? My buckeye dealer has dropped buckeye and is now carrying Tribute. Their reasoning for dropping buckeye was that due to the economy, they were having a very hard time selling the buckeye. A lot of people could barely afford to feed their horses $8 generic sweet feed, let alone something like Grow N Win. I currently feed Grow N Win to my horses that are on a ration balancer, and have been happy with it. Sure it is pricey, $34 a bag, but I usually get $2 off a bag, so its $32.

Apparently Tribute has a ration balancer called Essential K that is supposed to be somewhat similar to the Gro N Win I currently feed. Its 28% protein as apposed to the 32% in gro n win. Is is $18.99 a bag, so its at least $13 a bag cheaper. Of course, I would love to save the money since its such a price difference, however I wont do it at my horses expense. If it is not a quality product, I wont even consider the switch. It would be convenient, as the next closest buckeye dealer is over an hour from my home, and this dealer is on my way to and from work, about 10 minutes from my home.

The horses I am considering this for are my easy keepers. Even on the gro n win, they are VERY fluffy if not in a 5 day a week conditioning program.

Anyone tried tribute feeds? Good or bad results?

I have a friend using it and she loves it... it is designed by some of the original people who were in on the Buckeye

with that kind of price difference even if you have to feed 1 1/2 lbs instead of 1lb you will be fine :)

You could also look for a Progressive dealer in your area it is super close to the Buckeye as in it is the orgininal formula :)

Same...my dealer carries both and many people LOVE the Essential K. Do you know what the NSC is? I only pay $25 for Grow N Win, man!

I WISH I could find the grow n win for $25. I dont know the NSC of the Essential K yet, but I did email them and ask, just waiting for the response.

I think Im going to try this when Im closer to running out of grow n win. Honestly, my horses on a ration balancer keep their body condition a little too well. They are miniatures and are obese on just hay, but I do need to give them the ration balancer as our hay is not the best quality. We have to get from many different suppliers, so its not feasable for me to just have the hay tested and have a supplement made.

Im considering switching my show horses over to a ration balancer and adding oats if needed to keep body condition also.

I feed my mom's minis Grow N Win:-) They get about a half a cup a day. Sometimes less in the summer!

I have all of my "big" horses on it too. I don't like oats and they hold their condition great on about 2 lbs per day. They get a lot of hay:-)

I havent been able to keep my show horses fit on just the ration balancer, so I had switched them back over to a pelleted feed. I know when I got my last show horse the old owner (also an AMHR judge, and trainer) swore by a ration balancer AND oats. I kept him on it for about a month when he got home while i got him all settled in, then switched because I didnt like the idea of oats Honestly, it was the best the horse ever looked. Im thinking for a horse with no founder, IR, cushings, or other issues, the very small amount of oats I would be adding wouldnt have much negative effect on the horse. I know a diet high in NSC isnt good for horses with issues, but my show guys dont have issues, and havent been able to keep their topline and condition when I tried just a ration balancer (I also feed beetpulp in show season as I cut back on hay a little to prevent a hay belly)

pumd for pound beet pulp is LESS sugars and starchs and about the same calories and nutrition as oats IF your horses will eat it

You can also get the same benifits from alfalfa pellets

Boy, I don't know where you buy your feeds but I pay $40 a bag for Gro N Win & just checked my supplier for Tribute & it is $27.99. I currently feed 3 horses Gro N Win but was looking for something comparable that was less costly but just as good. If I could get Gro N Win for $30 I would stay with it. I do like the results. About a year ago my horses had developed poor toplines so I changed to Gro N Win & they all straighted out within a few months.