Ok so I am new to the whole horse show stuff other then barrel racing and the fast stuff. I decided this year would be good to broaden what I do and would like to start riding english and doing western pleasure my horse has done both before I haven't riddin english at all but have done western pleasure when I was like 8. I have no clue what so ever what I will need for english now I am only really doing this in 4-H and some local fun shows this year but I want to start right so what do I need? All I am going to be doing is English equitation and pleasure maybe more when the time comes. I also am not sure what I need all for Western Pleasure I have a saddle/headstall/bridle set that I am using and I am not sure of anything else.

For 4-H you can get buy with a lot less than at the open shows. In our state you have to wear jeans- blue or black, boots, belt, white long sleeved western type dress shirt with a 4h cheveron (get from your local extension office for a $1.00) and a helmet (required). If you are going to show halter/showmanship you are allowed to wear a cowboy hat. Our judges don't count you down for not having silver on your saddle or briddle. Open judges aren't suppose to either but they look at the overall package and sometimes it helps make things look more polished. English attire in 4H is the same as in open shows. You need breeches, the english show shirt- this can be any color in 4-H unlike in western, boots, tie pin, jacket and helmet. Get a velvet cover and use the same helmet for both western and English. Your saddle pads can be any color. Check your state rules for allowed bits. Usually what is ok in open shows will go for 4h but not always. 4-H doesn't allow the flash band on an english briddle. Open shows depending on how fancy they are you might be able to get away with nice jeans and a nice long sleeved western shirt. Other open shows you may need chaps to be competitive. Do you have a horse and pony leader that can help you get started?