1. 1. How much money did it cost you?

• 30,000-50,000
    • 60,000-80,000
    • Less then 30,000
    • More than 80,000
    • Nothing but living expenses, they got grants and scholarships
    • Paid but they also got grants and scholarships added so I saved X amount
    • I didn't send my kid to college

Doing some figuring and wondered what the average cost was. If you DO share here other than just picking a choice,..will you please specify what KIND of college(2yr-4yr more than 4yr) and what the degree was?

Thanks for your input!

Edited by ShelleyC

My son is a sophomore at a large state university. He is still living at home (most days, lol). He pays his own car insurance and cell phone bills, as well as buys his own books and pays the portion of his tuition that scholarships don't cover. He's worked since he was 15 and has a good bit of money in the bank. My mom has a decent sized account saved for his college expenses, and he has quite a few bonds from my grandmother, but he hasn't asked to start spending that money, and I'm hoping it'll be there for grad school or a downpayment on a house. My son also paid for all of his flight time and instruction to get his pilot's license at 17. He is an excellent financial manager (much better than his parents). Were he to need or want help, we'd certainly give it, but he has always been an independent sort.

My parents pay for a LOT of my stuff. I'm really, really lucky that they've always paid my car insurance and my cell phone bill. I "paid" for my first two years of college myself by obtaining a full scholarship to the local community college. When I was attending there, I worked and paid for all of my horses' expenses except hay. I also bought all my own books, paid my gas to drive the 50 miles round trip every day. I made the most of my time at the community college and graduated in 2 years with 2 associate's degrees. Now that I'm away at college, my parents also pay for and take care of my horses. I got a scholarship that covered my first quarter at Ohio State. For the rest of this year, I got a Stafford loan that covers all but about $450 a quarter, which my parents pay. I live off campus in an apartment, and my grandparents send me money usually for rent, but I don't "expect" it. My other grandma had enough money saved for me that she puts $1000 in my savings account every quarter for any rent or living expenses or books I need.

I know it all seems like a lot but I PROMISE you it wouldn't be happening if I didn't work my butt off to maintain my grades and stuff. My family is very generous but you don't just get that sort of thing handed to you. And even though I don't work right now I invest a lot of time in extracurriculars that will help me in the future, such as my IHSA team, the Pre-Vet Club, and volunteering at a veterinary clinic. I cut costs for my family in any way I can. I learned to trim my horses' feet myself so that we didn't have to have a trimmer out. I live off campus since it's about 1/4 of the cost of living on campus. This also means that my Stafford loan (the one that's taken out in my name) is sufficient to get me through and I my parents don't need to take out a ParentPLUS loan in their name. I've applied for more scholarships for next year (since I transferred in last year I couldn't apply for all the scholarships the university offers but I was able to apply for them for next year). Not to mention the approximately $100,000 in loans I will acquire from vet school.

Well, my parents are paying for nothing. Mom is helping me out where she can, but she has enough bills of her own. Dad has straight up refused. So...I'll give you my stats. I go to a private liberal arts college. When all is said and done, in six months I will probably be saddled with thereabouts of $80,000 of debt. But I'm not worried....

good 'ol BelueHorse said he'd pay it all off for me :yahoo::grin: [ROTFL]

Well, I'm not a parent but a college student. My parents didn't pay for any of my college. I attended a 4 year University and my major was Psychology. I now have close to $45,000 in debt. I never had the option of living at home and going to school. So, I lived off campus to save money but it still cost a lot. I also worked part time during the fall/spring and full time in the summers. I am about 2 semesters away from obtaining my bachelor's. I'm now married, have a farm, and am having trouble going back to finish.

If/When I am able to for my kids, I will definitely pay for their college. I wish I would have had the ability to live at home so I could have avoided some of the debt I have now.

I have a scholarship to my 4-year state uni which covers tuition. Unfortunately it only covers the amount of tuition from when you first got here- so the farther down the economy goes, the more they raise tuition, the more I have to pay. They've also added a $500 "Economic Recovery" charge to my yearly fees. If I had known this was going to happen- I would have taken a scholarship to a CC, then transfered there my last two years. I only went here because it was actually cheaper (with what my scholarship was supposed to be) Oh well, a yearish left.

I pay for everything but rent (I live at my mom's house): car insurance, phone, food, clothes, etc. And half of the school expenses. I usually have about $700 that's not covered each semester with parking ($300 is the cheapest for a year, and it's far enough away that you have to take a bus to campus), books, and what my scholarship doesnt cover. I pay $350 and my parents each pay half of the rest.

My Son is going to a Community College, he is taking classes for the Auto Mech. field. He is into race cars and wants to get into more of the design or high tech stuff,not just work in a shop. So he is taking shop, math, business, ect.

I pay for everything that is not covered after he got his scholarships.

He lives in his own house and pays all of his own bills for that. His cars are paid for, so he only has Insurance and house. We give him some money through out the year for clothing and a few stuff he needs.

He won't owe any money when he gets out of school. We don't believe in owing bills, so we pay as you go.

My daughter and I both went to the same community college about a mile up the street. We both got grants each semester which covered our books and tuition. She also got an extra grant of $500 per semester because she graduated HS with an advanced regent's diploma. (It's a NY thing). She lived at home and I took care of her other expenses. I also got a $3500 scholarship for my senior nursing year, and took out a $1200.00 student loan (yes, that's 12 hundred, NOT thousand). I worked part time during my last three semesters and used about $15,000 of savings for mortgage, car, etc., in addition to my earnings.

I started working as a nurse in December and my student loan will be paid off very shortly.

Well I am speaking for my parents. lol.

My parents don't pay for any of college. I pay my own living expenses, books, tuition and extra fees if I take a special class. I got enough in scholarships to completely cover college and more, so I was really lucky.

But I checked the 30,000-50,000 option because my parents spent that much on my private high school. So it is still like paying for college. And that was my deal with them that if they paid for high school I would have to pay for college myself.

We are paying for whatever student loans doesn't cover. Student loans covers school tuition/books, rent, and some groceries. We buy them groceries, gas, provided a vehicle, provided them with a cell phone and cards for them, car insurance and repairs, and whatever else they need. There are things I draw the line at, like going to bars, eating out, movies and such. I don't go out to the bars, seldom eat out, rent zero movies, so neither do they. If they want to do that, then get a part time job to pay for that. Which they did. They are there to study and get good grades. Don't waste my time or money, cause your name will be mud. We also had money set aside every month, at the bank, since they were born, for their education. That helped a lot.

They are both done college, working, and paying off their own student loans. Student loans for each is somewhere in the 30 to 40 thousand range. We've had to occasionally help financially when things got tough, but for the most part, they are doing fine on their own. They do know that if crap happens that we will help if needed. To date I'm guessing we've put out around 40 grand out of our pockets. Without the education funds we set aside, it would have easily been double that.

Speaking for my parents too.

My parents will be paying (roughly) 25k/year for a 4 year state university. I got a scholarship from the school, however it's not very big (but it goes up significantly if I raise my ACT score in April) and did not qualify for any type of assistance via the FAFSA form, etc.

I'll take out loans if they ask me to, however I don't think that will be the case.

(they're just glad I didn't get accepted to the school that was 55k/year :tongue9: )

My daughter is currently going to UT Martin in their Vet program. She works, has grants and scholarships and we don't have to provide much for her. We help her where we can, but she's pretty self sufficient.

I'm also speaking as a college student.

My mom's a single parent making less than what tuition is for a year. So needless to say, I received a good deal of financial aid. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to come to UNH because it is one of the most expensive state schools in the country.

My aid covers most of my bill, and I pay the difference each semester with some help from my grandfather. I live on campus and have a meal plan. I have a job on campus. I also pay for books, my horse at home, and any other luxuries I might want. I pay my phone bill most months, but sometimes my mom surprises me and pays it for me. I don't have a car on campus because I have access to the Amtrak home and I'm only an hour away.

ETA: I checked off the one "Nothing but living expenses, they got grants and scholarships" because my difference each semester pretty much equals room and meal plan. I'm a junior getting my BA.

Edited by Megquestrian

Wow, things have changed since I went to college. $25,000 a year for a state school! [shocked]

For 2 1/2 years of my five year program, I attended an academically top rated college and total cost was about $12,000 including living expenses, books, fraternity and sorority fees and odds and ends. My parents paid for about 70% of that and Stafford loans paid for much of the balance.

I also worked part time at the college and as a petite model. The college job paid more on the check end of the deal, but the modeling got my my hair cuts and clothing at steep discounts.

When my father became very ill and required month after month of hospitalization, I transferred to a state school and moved home, since the school was in the next town over. That cut the costs to about $4,000 a year total, including the cost of my eating at home and insurance and fuel costs. My insurance and fuel costs went up because I was driving about 30 miles RT each class day. I dropped my fraternities and sororities, partly because the chapters at the state school were very different than those at the private college.

My student loans covered everything my last 2 1/2 years of college. So, I came out with about $17000 of debt. I used money I received when I sold some oil stock I'd inherited to pay those off about 2 years after I got out of college because Wachovia, the lender handling my loans, had a bad habit of attributing my loan payment to someone else with a similar account number and claiming I hadn't made my student loan payment.

I'd advise most students to either consolidate their student loans into a single loan with their local bank to avoid these problems.

A little piece of advice for those with seniors!! FILL OUT and TURN IN ALL Scholarship packets!!

Our counselors at school try and get the kids to fill out the packets for the local scholarships but most of them are too lazy. They were all due this past Friday. On Wed, when kiddo turned her's in, she was the only one for several of them. Each year, money just sits there cause the kids don't turn in the info.

It's A LOT of work filling them out and writing essays, but well worth it. She has already received one and I know of at least 2 more that she'll get because she was the only one that's turned anything in.

We won't know how much we'll have to help her until we find out how much she got in scholarships. She's going to a private university.

Figured I'd answer for my mom but there wasn't an option. I paid for my entire education. By the time I'm done it'll be about $32,000 just in tuition, not including living expenses, books, fees, etc. I lived in the dorms for 3 semesters which cost about $10,000 and then moved out making living more affordable (school requires 4 semesters in the dorms if you're under 21 but I was able to get an exception). My mom paid for my car insurance and paid my cell phone bill for 3 years of my college career. I was also allowed to live at home during the summer rent free which I did for one summer. I did not receive any type of financial aid, grants or scholarships. I've always paid my rent, car payment, renters insurance, horse stuff, etc. on my own. I did take out one small federal direct loan my junior year (I think it was like $1500ish?) but paid it off that summer from working. My parents have helped during a couple really rough patches when I needed help with car repairs.

We pay my stepdaughter $4200 per year for 1/2 of her tuition for two semesters based on 15 credit hours per semester. She's going to a 4 yr university that does not increase the tuition for the first 4 years. It's based on what year you start. When she comes up to visit, we will take her shopping and help her buy things for her dorm. We have never been provided a single document from the college or her (her mom) on if that is her actual tuition or what any of the other costs are, so we based it on what we could find online for that school. There is no court order for it, just us trying to help her out some.

My youngest sister is going to a private college in TX and her tuition is something like $13K per semester. Her grandpa left a trust to pay for her schooling when he passed away (she was the only one of us girls that didn't have multiple parents and a divorce agreement to help with schooling). She works and has scholarships to help with it too.

Back when I went to school, I paid for my first two years and my parents split the last 2 1/2. I came out of school with one loan for $1500 from my very first semester.

Okay, I am a college student not a parent. But I got my Associates threw a community college and will graduate with my BS this May. I saved my parents a ton of money and it was a good transition to go to a community college from high school. I didn't want the college experience, since I have moved so much. I wanted to say put, I did the community college, and I am getting my Bachelors threw my community college teleconnect center. Many community colleges sponsor a big university and it saves parents and students a good amount of money and time.

I had some academic discounts on tuition from my school. But else, it was all student loans. I lived in the dorms and that plus food was included in my full board.

Loans did not cover books and my books and supplies were usually about 700-1000 per semester. (Bio books and equipment and chem equipment were expensive)

My business books could be bought used (accounting, hr, macro and micro econ, etc)

I ended up at about 100k in loans for 4 years at a private liberal arts college. That was a number I was comfortable with as I planned on going to med school. Being that I didn't, those loan payments are somewhat painful each month. If I had it to do over again, I would've gone to a state school.

I did not send any of my kids to college. None of them were committed enough in HS to get the grades to earn some scholarships. College options were discussed with all of them (I had five to work through this, one more to go) and our requirements were laid out very plainly. We encouraged college, don't get me wrong, but we were not willing to invest money in something they were only going to do because we wanted them to do it or because we were going to pay for it.

Our requirments were a B average for all 3 years of HS then 2 years at the local JC, carrying a full load of at least 12 credit hours and keeping a B average. All were more than capable of a B average but the first 5 did not, so deal breaker. All are gainfully employed and 2 have Associates and 1 has a BS in nuclear engineering of all things. 2 are correctional officers and have no interest in furthering their education at this point.

Our youngest is in her freshman year and has a 3.9. So far, so good. She want to go to college and is working towards that goal. If she keeps her grades up, we will pay for her college classes at the JC and she can live at home, rent free while she is going. Once she determines what she wants to be when she grows up, we will discuss options for further education.

I am all for supporting their efforts, but there MUST be some effort to support!

Equintis,.that is pretty much what we expect as well with pretty much the same conditions.

Everyone has made great points. But I agree that it is crucial not to pay for college, unless your kids want to go. There is no use in throwing away money unless they really want a degree. I couldn't see paying for classes if my kid had no desire to go. College is difficult and expensive, why waste money if they don't want to go. I am just saying this because I have talked to a lot of parents that wasted money because they thought every child needs to go to college. I don't believe that every kid needs to go to college, they are other ways to make money too. I am glad I went to college, but that is what I chose, like my sister doesn't want to go to college, but wants to get do hair for a living.(which she loves and I believe will be a good job for her).

Everyone has made great points. But I agree that it is crucial not to pay for college, unless your kids want to go. There is no use in throwing away money unless they really want a degree. I couldn't see paying for classes if my kid had no desire to go. College is difficult and expensive, why waste money if they don't want to go. I am just saying this because I have talked to a lot of parents that wasted money because they thought every child needs to go to college. I don't believe that every kid needs to go to college, they are other ways to make money too. I am glad I went to college, but that is what I chose, like my sister doesn't want to go to college, but wants to get do hair for a living.(which she loves and I believe will be a good job for her).

Ditto. My oldest brother got his GED at 16 (per the recommendation of the school) and then worked for 2 years before deciding that yes, he was ready to go to college. He applied, and was accepted, to a private methodist college local to where we were living at the time. Obviously pricey. My parents paid. He dropped out before completing the first semester.

He decided to try again. Okay. Parents paid. He dropped out again.

Years later after we moved to NY, he's 20 ish by now (he was in a bad car accident right before we moved, so my parents made him come with us) decided he was ready to complete his education but decided he should probably start at the community college. Okay. Parents paid. Dropped out.

He regrets it everyday, but my parents drew the line.

I dropped out of community college. Not worth the $800 in classes and $500 in books. One day I'll go back, but not to any of the CC around my area.

My sister on the other hand is going to a big time out of state school and paying around $25k a year.

I don't think she truly grasps how much debt she will have.

Our daughter is a sophomore at OSU. We pay her tuition. Hubby also works there and that helps us get a bit of discount on the tuition. She lives in the dorms and has a meal card. She's looking for PT work and planning to rent a house with some room-mates soon.

My friends parents had the best plan for their kids for college. Well maybe not the best, but it's what my fiance and I will probably do. They had college accounts for all four of their children. They're quite well off and there was enough in each account for each child to do 4-5 years at very good universities. The deal was the parents would co-sign on low interest student loans with each kid and upon their timely graduation the college fund would be used to pay off the loan in full. If they dropped out or took too long to get their degree (her one brother spend 6 years old a simple Bachelor's in graphic design, partied a lot, didn't work, etc.) the kid was responsible for paying their loans back on their own.

When I read these numbers I'm glad my hole degree cost about $20,000. (mind you I live at home and commute to school) Good lord I can't imagine $25K a year :twitch:

I see that you also live in Canada. That too makes a huge difference. My tuition is only like 5k a year.

$25000 a year!!! How can anyone afford to go to school. That`s ridiculous.

In Texas my parents enrolled in the Texas Guaranteed Tuition Fund. They locked in tuition rates in 1996 and paid into it every year until I graduated in 2007. I believe they had 17,000 into it. I received 128 hours of tuition paid for and whatever increase of tuition there was from '96 the government paid for. I used my hours wisely and when I graduate I will still have 40 hours to apply to a masters degree. If I only take classes in the fall and spring my tuition is about 6,000 a year. My sister is at a different university and hers is about 10,000 a year. The only thing this plan doesn't cover is lab fees and textbooks.

My parents are divorced and my dad pays for apartment rent, my mom helps us out with utilities and my sister and I have part time jobs to pay for groceries, gasoline, and any extra stuff that we want. I believe we are very fortunate for what we have but I still feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck as I do pay for my 2 horses. I just keep reminding myself that I chose that and one day I'll have enough money to start saving and enjoying my horses.

That's my situation hope I helped :)