Sign in to follow this  
jdpuckett52

My Little Trip

The last weekend of March I took Levi, dog Hank and went to the LBJ National Grasslands for a long weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary but a good weekend even though it was extremely windy out of the south Friday and up until Saturday afternoon when it turned extremely windy out of the NORTH and got pretty cool that night, especially for a tent camper! Thank goodness I'd taken a good stack of firewood.

This trip was a first for me in a couple of ways. It was my first solo camping / riding trip with a horse and even though I was only 20 miles from my "farm" it was a good learning experience. Another thing I didn't realize until I got out on the trail it was the FIRST time I'd ever had Levi off alone like that. At first he balked at going out alone but after a bit of persuasion he realized the errors of his ways and plodded on! I rode just a couple of miles Saturday morning. That afternoon I left Hank behind and we hit the trail. I figure we rode about 14 miles that trip. I'm not going to lie, Levi and I both were pooped when we got back to camp. Sunday morning I did another short loop and took Hank on that one. He's about 9 and as out of shape as I am, so I took it easy on my old Buddy.

Camp Puckett. That's my new "3 person" tent. I tell you what, you'd better be REALLY GOOD FRIENDS if 3 people are going to sleep in it!! Worked great though and I can put it up in about 10 minutes by myself which is what I was looking for. Got it from Backcountry.com. GREAT place to order from if you need camping gear.

CopyofIMG_0010.jpg

The Cardinals loved to pick up Levi's leftover (dropped) oats. I counted as many as 8 at one time.

CopyofIMG_0014.jpg

Not sure if you'll see what I'm talking about but the bark off the tree on the left has grown around the limb off the other, which is now dead. It was REALLY windy and the two trees swaying and rubbing together made a very spooky sound. It even got Levi's attention. Glad I wasn't riding through there at night. LOL!!

CopyofIMG_0033.jpg

The trees were just starting to bloom out. That's Hank, on our Sunday morning ride.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Me and Levi. You should see him now that he's slicked off. Looks like a totally differnt horse.

IMG_0158.jpg

Saturday night........keepin' my feet warm!

IMG_0160.jpg

Jer.....

My friend from our club was raised in your area, and has commented that the grasslands are definately a good place to ride and camp.

She says that when she went there the Bluebells were all in bloom, and the trees had all these flowers and stuff. It was like riding in a Cinderella canopy under those trees.

Looks like your buddy Hank had a good time too. He really looks to be sniffing out a good spot to dig! LOL.

I had to leave our two dogs at home yesterday as we were riding with a large group,( about 35 riders !!)

but the Poppies were certainly worth the ride.

Here is the view between Siseley's ears...

poppys2010052.jpg

Steve, on the Lil Grey Mare

TexJer,

Glad you had a good time camping & riding, but looking at your pictures, gives me a bit of a guilt trip, I should get off my butt, & ride!! But I enjoyed your's. Thanks for sharing it. Great pictures. PD

Nice ride, nice photos. I wish we had cardinals here. What a pretty sight.

I tent camp too, I had a camper, I'm staying in a motorhome next weekend...it's ALL GOOD. As long as I somewhere, riding my horse, I'M HAPPY. Having my dog along is even better. They are pretty good company, aren't they?

Wow looks like a wonderful time. Glad to see you are out of your moon boots and into your cowboy boots.

I love the red cardinal and the windmill picture. Looks like a wonderful place to ride.

Guest cowpony01

Love, your camp set up, very scerene! Isn't it fun to get away and be alone camping with just you, your dog and a good horse! That's the way I go most of the time. I've got several trips though with some friends over in Nevada this year. They like to ride like I do, no holds barred! LOL!!!! Glad to see you up, out and about!

That looks so great! What kind of dog is Hank? We have a blue heeler, also named Hank (named after Hank the cow dog hee hee). Hanks are good dogs!

Loved the pictures of the cardinals! Thanks for sharing!

Nice pics! It is so pretty there. That's a wonderful way to get "me" time!

TJ Looks like you, Hank and Lew had a great little three day trip. Going it alone isn't all that bad. Do an awful lot of riding by myelf and although company (especially young women) can be a lot of fun, alone just ain't all that bad either. Great pictures too. Looked like you had the camera working pretty good. Feet a little close to the fire in that last shot but assume the toes had gotten a little on the cold side. Know that feeling too. :smilie: