Sign in to follow this  
BeRandee

Finally Going Right By My Poor Filly...

Alright so I tried to give my "ferrier" the benifit of the dout and let him trim my filly.... Well I got tired of waiting and seeing her more and more uncomfortable and 10+ weeks since her last trim that I was absolutely unhappy with. I called a natural hoof trimmer and have an appt tomorrow. I'm so utterly displeased with how Dean has been treating her feet... I've been bothering him for the past 2-3 weeks to get on her feet and everytime its, I will this weekend but Taffy is first in line blah blah blah. It's pathetic considering he freaking lives here! I'm so SICK of everything..

It's a long story and you guys probably don't want to hear it, lol. But, I'll get pics of her poor feet today, and then when the trimmer comes out. HE sounded really informative. He explained alot to me about her feet just over the phone. I can't wait till he gets here tomorow because he said he could show me and that will just be amazing! I was just so fed up when I picked her foot up yesterday and didn't know what I was looking at. It just made my heart sink and I felt rage because to him, it's no big deal. I wish I woiuldn't have been so hard headed and takin' your guys advise alot sooner...

Edited by Sexy_Salty

your not a bad mommy.. Your doing fine.. at least your willing to own up your farrier isnt doing a good job and it is time to make a change. just make sure he dont get hold of them after.. otherwise it could go bad again!

your not a bad mommy.. Your doing fine.. at least your willing to own up your farrier isnt doing a good job and it is time to make a change. just make sure he dont get hold of them after.. otherwise it could go bad again!

He's not touching her feet inless I ask him to. Which probably won't happen inless there is an emergency. My new ferrier said he's going to call at about every 5 1/2 half weeks so we can set up the next trim. I just wish I didn't wait this long... Her feet are just horrible... I'll show you guys later today.. It really makes me upset that I let them go this long...

Oh. My. God! Those hooves are SCREAMING for a knowledgeable person to trim them. Thank you for getting the help this mare needs!

ETA- I think I just found why your were having training problems with your mare, as well.

Edited by Hibiscus

Your filly will only benefit from your choice to work with a barefoot trimmer. In your previous post about this filly you got some really useful responses from folks along with specific trim suggestions from missyclare.

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?show...7062030&hl=

I really encourage you to share those trim suggestions with the fellow you have coming out. It is really sad to see how much worse your horse's feet have become. You have my respect for staying open to new directions and returning to this forum. Best wishes, Cherie

Edited by aredhorse

See, whats even worse is, these new photos are from after a trim. Not right after, as you can see it's over 8-10 weeks of trimming, but I got tired of hassiling him to do her feet. And when I picked them up the other day and saw the bars on the club foot were broken and under the frog, I had had enough waiting and just couldn't watch her feet get EVEN worse. It really sickens me that I waited this long to get them done. But then again, it shows what kind of "ferrier" he really is....

Is he an actual farrier or is he a wannabe? Does he do other people's horses and charge for his work?

Yes he does. Not often as he has really bad back problems which have been keeping him from doing much. He can do a good job on a horse with decent feet but he is not doing it for my needy filly. There are several horses on the property that need their feet done yet he is doing nothing for them due to his back.

I WANNA WORK ON THOSE HOOVES!!! [Me Cry]

lol, thank you, but I have someone coming. Will be here in about half hour. Natural barefoot trimmer. Doug Perkins? I dout any of you have heard of him. But my trainer told me to give him a try. I'm too excited for him to get here! I will get pics as soon as he is done! =D

Please, please, please get pics right after he's done! I can't wait to see some CHANGE! (I sound like Obama.)

Please, please, please get pics right after he's done! I can't wait to see some CHANGE! (I sound like Obama.)

LOL! Oh I know! he said he was going to be here 3:30-4, but called me at 4 and said he'll be here in about half hour! EEEE! I cannot wait for this transformation! I have waited too long! And I will get pics! As soon as I'm done talking to him! lol... as long as Dean doesn't interupt us.. lol

LOL! Oh I know! he said he was going to be here 3:30-4, but called me at 4 and said he'll be here in about half hour! EEEE! I cannot wait for this transformation! I have waited too long! And I will get pics! As soon as I'm done talking to him! lol... as long as Dean doesn't interupt us.. lol

please do not expect a radical transformation in this trim. if you do you will be settin your self up for disappointment. always remember the rasp is just a file on steroids not a magical wand.

please do not expect a radical transformation in this trim. if you do you will be settin your self up for disappointment. always remember the rasp is just a file on steroids not a magical wand.

I did not expect a radical transformation in just one trim but I AM extremely happy now that I know she had a fungal problem and I can treat it, and now she is trimmed and can walk normally now.

After pics

RF

DSCI0001-1.jpg

DSCI0002-3.jpg

DSCI0003-5.jpg

RR

DSCI0005-4.jpg

DSCI0006-4.jpg

DSCI0007-3.jpg

LR

DSCI0009-3.jpg

DSCI0012-2.jpg

Edited by Sexy_Salty

LF Club foot

DSCI0016-3.jpg

I forgot a top view, if you guys would like, I can go get it.

DSCI0017-1.jpg

Edited by Sexy_Salty

While they do look so much better already... is it just me or is he bevelling from the top?

Uhm, well I don't really know? What is that and maybe I can tell you, lol.

He said that she was underun in her heals, and had lots of mechanical stress on her hoof wall/ or bars.. I can't remember. He told me to clean her feet with a Lysol and water mix to change the PH balance in her feet to clear up the fungal infections which all 4 feet had. He *thinks* P3 is pointing down a bit on her clubby foot because the depth in the frog from the heel to the point gets shallow at the point. Uhm... He said alot and can't really remember everything he said, but he deffinately was very informative.

Those feet look so much better that im not going to split hairs at this point. It does appear that he rasped from the top but the roll looks pretty good to me. I think its a wonderful start to getting this horse back on track.

Keep this horse on a tight trim schedule for a while and post pictures as you go.

Thanks Trinity, just asking for my own education. Sticking terms with pictures, you know? =]

Well, I don't believe he did, I only seen him do a side to side swiipe with the rasp, but she wasn't making it easy on him being she isn't trimmed often, she's not used to holding her feet forward and she was running out of patience but he did a good job putting up with her. I'm very happy with the work he did. We are going to do every 6 weeks on the dot at least till they start growing correctly. Then I might let them go to possibly 8 weeks. I'm just so happy I'm getting them going on the right track! =]

I would strongly suggest every 3 weeks till you get these feet under control and then MAYBE every 6 weeks...8 weeks is way too long to have a healthy bare foot.

Juyst fyi Most of my clients are on a monthy schedule except one who is on a 6 weeks schedule and she rides ALOT.

Yes I understand, but he is quiet busy and the only reason I'd alow it to get even close to 8 weeks is if his schedule is full as he only trims on the weekends. Makes it a little tough to make them all on time lol.

I just want to address the fact you admit your filly is bad with her feet. You NEED to work with her on a daily basis with picking up and holding her feet. Its not fair to your trimmer to have to fight her every time and risk injury because of her. Its also not fair to your filly to learn to have to fight every time someone picks up her feet. Take 20 mins. a day to work with her and her feet. Everyone will thank you!

I just want to address the fact you admit your filly is bad with her feet. You NEED to work with her on a daily basis with picking up and holding her feet. Its not fair to your trimmer to have to fight her every time and risk injury because of her. Its also not fair to your filly to learn to have to fight every time someone picks up her feet. Take 20 mins. a day to work with her and her feet. Everyone will thank you!

Oh yes I know this. I had never thought of it till he had came and she wasn't cooperating. She wasn't being dangerous, she was just not willing, lol. I have been working with her and stretching her legs out front of her. She will get over this, I am not worried.

On a positive note, she is so much more comfortable! I am SO excited! As of late, she was stagering her clubby foot when she grazed so much, I knew it just couldn't be comfortable. But now after her trim she is more inclined to holding that foot out in front instead of behind! To me, this is a big step towards going right. She can recover from her injury much more comfortably and correctly. I'll keep you guys updated!!!

Edited by Sexy_Salty

Glad to hear things are going better. Also glad to see someone else who knows more than me mentioned the time issue. Letting them go that long when in such a bad state to start would definitely worry me. More frequent trims will make it easier to get things under control and keep it managed.