Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

Really, How Long Do You Keep A Horse Tied To The Post?

We got home from our other place Sunday at around 3 PM. When passing the neighbor's place, saw he had the horse he's training tied, sadddled, to the post in the center of the round pen.

No big deal, I get the concept.....but, just how long should a horse be left like that?

We later drove to the store, around 6 PM, and the horse was still tied, so that's three hours, now.

Came home, horse is still tied, it is now 7:30 PM, so that's at least 4 and a half hours....we don't know how long before 3 the horse was tied.

Isn't that overkill? He has been tying this horse to the post, saddled for at least a month, usually not for that long, but for at least 2 hours at a time.

I never see him do anything else with it, just tie it to either the post in the round pen, or the horse trailer.

Shouldn't he have moved on to something else by now? The horse always looks very relaxed and calm wherever it is tied.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be told, it just didn't seem right, to me.

that was soo funny [ROTFL] I was going to say the same thing!! but,not just Mexican cowboys do it,the 1st guy I had start Honey my little 20? cowboy rode her hard and tied her up in the hot(100+) sun all day!!Jackie was train'd the same way! I agree w/ you seems like overkill but boy you can tie them up anywhere and they just go to sleep! that is what my trainer says too(he's a CLASSICALLY)train'd Mexican Cowboy. He told me the purpose is at mexican rodeos get pretty crazy and there are LOTS! of horses and they have to be able to tie them up anywhere stallions and all! so now ya know!

I've seen horse tied for 4+ hours. Seems a little overkill but then again it depends on what the horse will be used for. Those stock and rodeo horses have to spend long hours tied to the side of a trailer though all manner of shenanigans.

was the guy anywhere around? is it his horse, do you know? i personally would never leave a horse tied where i could not see it @ all times, especially for that long. i also personally would never leave a horse tied in the hot sun, & i check every hour to see if they need water, but thats just me, im sure alot of trainers have different opinions. & ive heard of older 'cowboys' doing that.

Edited by fastfilly79

I had to tie Slinky to the trailer overnight when at competitions or all day when at a competition too though he had food and water. I wouldn't leave him like that if I had another option.

4 hours I don't believe is overkill as long as the horse has been offered water somewhere in there. My new gelding Mac gets antsy when the other horses leave his sight, so he ends up dancing around in one spot. Needless to say, he has been and will be spending time on the "patience pole" daily. So far the longest I've had him tied was 2 and a half hours. I typically "release" him once he has stood quietly for 15-20 minutes. He has come a long way, but has a ways to go before I haul him to overnight rodeos and such since I don't want to risk him tearing up my trailer, and on a highline I'm sure he'd drive the other horses insane :D

i dont think its overkill as long as the horse is checked on and offered water. also if it isnt 100+ degrees outside. i've tied my young mare for training and my older gelding for retraining for hours, but kept an eye on them through the house windows as i was cleaning and went out and offered them water every now and then

Not odd. We've left horses with patience issues tied over night. Granted they were offered water . I guess longest they were tied without water, was over night about 6 hours.

~stars

Mine stand tied to the trailer (or sometimes a highline if we can do that) when we camp the whole weekend except when we are out riding. They stand saddled sometimes all day. They are offered water several times and enough hay.

Standing tied quietly long term is a GOOD skill for a horse to have. I wouldnt worry if the horse appears to be in good flesh and so forth. Id say the person has a plan you just arent aware of.

When I worked at the trainer's barn, we left them tied anywhere from around 7AM to 5/6PM. Nobody died or got sick, but they did tie without resistance wherever you left them. My own horses were done the same.

I don't have a problem with it. I have left horses tied to a rope hanging down from an tree limb for 8+ hours. If they were still not standing still, they got put up and tied out again the next morning. They'll get it every day until I can tie them out and they prop up a hind legs and just stand there. I had one take 4 days. I will not even try to train on one that is fussing around. They are not receptive enough to learning and waste my time and theirs and probably only get in a fight if they are not relaxed being tied away from the other horses.

When I had a barn full of horses in training, I would saddle up 4 or 5 when I got to the barn in the morning and then work them in the order that they decided to stand there relaxed and ready to learn. If one fussed around all day, he would not get worked and would get saddled up again the next day. Even now, if I am only going to feel good enough to work one colt, I will saddle up 3 or 4, go do some other stuff and work one that is quiet and settled. If I have one that is getting used to a saddle, I will saddle it and leave it tied (not run it around and beg for it to get scared or mad and buck) and may leave it tied up all day.

I never saddle a horse and girth it up tight and let it stand. A horse should be moving around if the girth is tight. I will saddle one tight enough to keep the saddle from slipping, but I want to be able to slide my hand under the girth. I have seen huge welts come up on a horse's belly and seen them get so sore they could not be saddled for a week or more. I saw a mule at a sale once that had a 4 " wide white band under his dark brown belly. The owner said he left him girthed up tight for 6 hours and his belly swelled huge and then all the hair blistered off and returned white.

Unless a horse is very broke, I also will not tie one to a post. It is way too easy for them to wind themselves up and end up tied with no rope and are able to break their necks when they fight and their head is tied around the back side of the post. One of my 4-H kids lost a horse that way a couple of years ago.

I don't know if there are mexican rodeos in my area, or not, I do know there are a lot of people roping every weekend.

This seems to be a young horse in raining, so I'm guessing he is learning patience, it just seemed too much, to me, anyway.

Every time i have seem him tied, there was no one around and there are usually others tied to trailers, I'm thinking this guy is a trainer, I don't think this particular horse is his, he gets new ones in and a few months later, they are gone and there's another new one in the pen.

I know the concept of tying, I was just concerned it was being done for too long at a time.......but, now, I see what you all are saying.

then my guess is that it isn't mexican rodeo. i hear there is always somebody around to hit the horse with a 2 X 4 if they move at all.

IMO mexican rodeo is a very ugly comment on what people are capable of. note: i said MEXICAN rodeo.

You saw him tied at 3 PM, and at 6 PM. How do you know he wasn't untied between there, and the guy worked with him? Then an hour and half later, he was tied again.

So, maybe it wasn't 4 hours straight.

That's true, he could have been untied, worked with and retied.

Nick, when you said "Mexican rodeo" you weren't talking about an actual rodeo, but a method of training? I know nothing about such things, obviously!

if you're in arizona i'm sure there is one somewhere in your county. mexican rodeo features "events" such as rooster fighting, horse tripping--frequently pregnant mares, snubbing a stallion with a metal chain to a post and letting two other stallions loose into the arena to "have at it". fun stuff like that.

i have NO idea why there isn't more of an effort to stop this kind of sick behavior.

it's illegal on the books, but there is a lot of looking away with the argument about it being a "cultural thing".

i have left a horse tied to a pole if they need to be taught to stand patiently for about 2hrs, but i did offer water to them.

Now my dad once tied up my old mare majic because she kicked me for no reason. we were out in the field and was walking the fence line and she ran over to say hello, well when she turned to walk away she flat out kicked me in my knee. Dad promptly got her and tied her to the saddle pole for 4hrs. she was offered water but refused to drink any. She learned her lesson never kicked at me or another horse.

I guess I just don't tie like that.

If there's a purpose--like you're tacking up. Or you're at a show and the horse is tied to the trailer. Or you're camping and you've got them tied overnight. I can think of several situations where leaving a horse tied (with water and hay offered) for several hours has a purpose.

But as a training tool? I don't think being tied up for long periods really teaches much. They either know how to stand tied quietly or they don't. If the latter, teach them. If the former, what is the GOAL in leaving them for several hours?

We have left my little mare tied up for about 4-6 hours. It became the "pole of patience". If she wasn't being tacked up or touched or even eating...she would walk around the pole. Constantly. It was her "hurry up, lets do something, i'm impatient, touch me! look at me! Attention! Attention! Attention!" After 2 sessions of standing tied (with water...and depending on how long..a small hay net offered) she now stands tied quietly all the time. She no longer paces, walks around, knocks things over. Nothing. She stands like a pro. I need my horse to be able to stand tied for long periods for shows, rodeos, and overnight camping. I don't want her walking all over, knocking things, pacing, snorting, and being obnoxious. She was supervised as well as I did sessions while I was doing chores.

Same thing happened for my little mini mule gelding. He HATED standing tied. He'd pace, walk under the hitch post, back and forth, back and forth, bray, snort, paw and be just a holy terror. Yeah..he got the same treatment. Now..he stands like a gentleman.

Almost all trainers I've seen (and I've seen from "cowboy" trainers up to high dollar QH trainers) start off the day by saddling up the horse. They don't tighten the girth, but they do get them tacked up (not all but most I've seen do the tacking). Then they are longed (seen more with the younger ones). Then they are tied in a spot until it is their turn to be trained. Whether that spot is along the arena, in their stall, or at a tree they get tied for a good portion of the day. They get their training period then get tied again. Depending on age and who the trainer is there can be another session in the day. Then at the end of the day they are untacked, hosed off, and put up in their stall.

When I sent my mare to be broke she would tie but she was an impatient hussy to say the least. My trainer used the above method. She ties great now. No fuss.

I do know laws here in Texas are a little different though also than other areas. Horses are livestock and only have to be offered water twice a day, it does not have to be availible at all times.

I know the amish I knew up in WI would tie out their young ones next to a road for sometimes days at a time to help them get used to traffic.

My opinion is as long is much like Texas law. As long as needed things (water food) are offered twice a day I think it's just fine. Along as it's with a safe tie.

it's illegal on the books, but there is a lot of looking away with the argument about it being a "cultural thing".

Ah, the things you can get away with in the name of, "culture".

Okay, I'm now a little confused and don't know where to go, here. I had planned on tying my filly, to teach her patience, because that is what I have been told by every trainer I have ever talked to, it teaches them to stand quietly and patiently while tied, they say.

Does it teach them ANY thing at all? My filly doesn't like to be tied, although she doesn't set back or pull, she is constantly moving and fidgeting and pawing...she digs big holes!

My husband is going to put in a hitching post for me this weekend and the plan was to tie her to it until she was standing quietly, then put her away and repeat the next day and the next, until she learned to stand quietly.

Would this NOT be the preferred method in which to solve the problem?

I guess you don't line tie your horse when you go for a weekend ride are pack in for week.

Pleasssssssse give me a break. If they don't stand when tied it is going to a long night for you standing there holding their halter.

David

Well, the way I've been told to get a fidgity horse to stand still is to let them fidgit, work them. Ask to stand, when they fidgit ask to work. Yeah, with my gelding, didn't work. He'd stand for a minute then fidgit. I'd work him. Took three times of fidgit/work, fidgit/work, for him to realize that fidgiting ment work. There for he'd fidgit and then go right into working. I was at my wits end with him. Around the same time I had sent my 5 YO to the trainer and she would stand tied for short pierods of time just fine. But there she had to stand longer. After a couple days she started throwing a fit when tied. Trainer left her tied for up to 8 hours. Took a week of being tied everyday for her to learn that when she was tied. No matter where, she was to stand quietly.

So, I decide to do this with my gelding. NOW, after standing tied for anywhere from an hour to 6 hours for a few, he stands quietly now.

Both my horses would stand tied, but not quietly. Move around, she was a heck of a pawer. He picked up pawing at first and when I completly ignored him for how ever long it took he has completly quit pawing too.

From Broo

But as a training tool? I don't think being tied up for long periods really teaches much. They either know how to stand tied quietly or they don't. If the latter, teach them. If the former, what is the GOAL in leaving them for several hours?

How do you teach one to stand quietly?

I tried the, work is hard/right thing is easy and got to where my horse would stand for 30 seconds. Never relax, **** his hip and just stand trying that method. Took me a month to get 30 seconds of him standing still. It took a few weeks of a patience wall to get him standing quietly and relaxed for hours. It also transfered to under saddle work too. He would do the same under saddle. Now he will stand quietly.

IMO, standing tied for long pierods of time is great for them.

I guess you don't line tie your horse when you go for a weekend ride are pack in for week.

Pleasssssssse give me a break. If they don't stand when tied it is going to a long night for you standing there holding their halter.

David

Is this remark directed at ME, because if it is, I don't get where you're coming from. No, I don't line tie my filly on weekend rides or pack trips....she's not quite two and not even started under saddle.....I'm just working on getting her to stand quietly while tied, BEFORE I get that far.