BuckinBrandy

The Bionic Oscar Mayer Weiner Thread

Prayers for you, Krystal! I am only a message away if you ever need to vent...but I just know that you'll kick cancer's butt!

I am mini vacationing in Maine with the boy for the weekend. we decided to stay with a friend in New Hampshire for a night. just horrible idea. I don't drink, party or smoke hookah. we went to UNH around 12. I am usually sleeping by 10... came back to his house at 3 and slept on a couch. never again, nope. poor Ed tried texting me at like 230 and saying how this sucks and next time we'll get a hotel room. we are free spirits. we can't sit in a dirty dorm and drink in the middle of the night! so not us. oh well... now we're heading north for a day of shopping and doing Maine things. :)

So, new house needs all new floors minus the living room. It also needs all new paint, including ceilings because a) someone smoked heavily, indoors and they put up wood panelling so the house looks like a cheap doublewide instead of an actual house. We get the keys in May.

Now I'm thinking we will just elope in April. The remodel is going to cost us a lot and there is no way to get around it. I would much rather spend the money on the house that we will live in for a couple of years (plan is to build a new home on the land in 3-5 years) than all that money on a wedding that lasts 6 hours. I think we will just have a huge housewarming/we got married party at our house once we get the floors and painting done. Plus, an evening party down by our pond during the summer would just be awesome anyway.

And, the way I look at it - If we elope it means I'm one step closer to getting another horse.

Edited by redrunnincowgirl

Jackie looking back, thats probably what I would do if i had it to do over. Weddings are nice but its a LOT of money for one day. If spending it on other things is your priority, go for it!

I already know I'm not going to spend tons on a wedding. I want a nice wedding, but I don't need fancy for one day. I'd probably see if I could sweet talk my barn owner into letting me use her property for it, her, her husband and most of the barn would be invited anyway, and Indy could be there haha

I don't think we have an intention of having a big wedding when the time comes. Now that we've moved our family and friends are spread out and it would be tough to decide on a central location. We'd rather elope and have parties back home I think. Way less fuss and money.

I wanted to go to the court house. DH wanted a wedding. We had the wedding. Wedding itself was nice. After party was a disaster. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have any of it. It wasn't the happiest day of my life, like its cracked up to be. Haven't spoke to my MOH since the day of and never wish to again. No longer speak to two of my bridesmaids and could care less if I ever did again.

I didn't have much money into it (all considering) but rather have done something different.

I feel the exact same way. I do not want a wedding. For one, I've been married before so ya...just don't wanna do it. But I think my fiancé wants one. Another, I have no idea who would be my bridesmaids and fiancé has like 8 guys he wants as groomsmen. Ugh. Makes me sick to think about it. Id rather spend the money on the new place or a trip or something is enjoy.

Jeez you guys are so down on weddings. haha I had a BLAST at my wedding it was SO much fun. We were able to save money in a lot of different places though, so it wasn't crazy expensive. Also, people think eloping for the ceremony and "just having a big party at home" will save them money....the ceremony is the CHEAPEST part. The food, DJ/band, bar, and the tables/chairs (if you don't do a venue), etc is the most expensive part. I mean we had a free location for our reception, but we still had to get a tent, tables, chairs, the food, a bar with bartenders, etc. Depending on the size I guess...I mean if you just have close family and friends maybe you can make all the food yourself, but still...

I agree! Granted, I've never had a wedding, but I feel like a wedding can be whatever you make it, both when it comes to price tag and enjoyment. You don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars just to have a nice wedding. You don't have to have it at a venue that's gonna charge you an arm and a leg just to BE there - there are tons of beautiful places that are free. If you can afford to have a party at home to celebrate eloping, can't you do the same thing for your reception?
And no matter how much time or money you're gonna spend organizing your wedding, if you choose to enjoy it it should be able to be enjoyable. I know there are some things that are out of people's hands as far as things going wrong or family causing trouble, but I always get frustrated when people talk about how they don't even want a big wedding, but they do it anyways to please family &/or fiance and then they have a horrible time because it wasn't exactly how they pictured it. Um, since you pictured NOTHING, shouldn't it automatically be better than what you were hoping for? Gah.

That being said, I don't think it's wrong to not want a wedding or to not think your wedding was the best thing ever. I just think a lot of people (not everyone, and not necessarily anyone on here) don't give it a chance, or just set it up for failure. Also people spend way too much money and if they choose to spend that much money then I don't think they should get to complain about how much money they spent cause they didn't have to do that to have a great wedding. :smilie:

*stepping off my soap box*

If we have a house warming / hey we got married party at our house it IS going to cost us a lot less. I won't have to invite everyone that was going to be at my wedding, I won't have to pay for wedding decorations or a cake, I don't have to have a DJ or a band. All I have to pay for is food and drinks. That's a heck of a lot cheaper.

It's going to cost us over 5k to remodel our house. Our wedding was already over 3k just for venue, photographer and rings. That wasn't my dress, decorations, food, etc. I would much rather spend 5k than 8k+. I can pay off my truck and part of my student loans for what a wedding would cost.

I'm glad some people enjoyed their wedding. I'm just a more realistic person who looks into the future instead of in the now. Spending thousands of dollars on one day versus thousands I can spend to make my home a better place just isn't realistic to me. I would much rather have a nice house with my arena and a new horse and my bills paid off than a fancy dress and a pretty cake. It's not like having an actual wedding is going to determine how my marriage turns out.

Edited by redrunnincowgirl

I can see what you're saying. I guess what I was getting at is - like you said, it's the decorations, cake, dj/band, etc that ups the cost of a reception, for example...but there is nothing stopping someone from having a reception with no cake (or at least not a traditional wedding cake), non-live music played without a dj, no decorations or only those that would be used at a regular party...etc.

Just because there are a lot of traditions and stereotypes that go with weddings/receptions doesn't mean they all need to be followed. I feel like a lot of people miss out on a big life event, or rule it out as a possibility, because they feel like it has to be a certain way - and include things that come with certain price tags. That's why I was saying your wedding/reception is what YOU make it.

I hope I didn't come off as implying that I thought anyone was doing the wrong thing, making the wrong choice, or in any other way "wrong." If what you're doing is right for you and you're happy with it, than I'm happy for you as well! I'm just pointing out that every "wedding" doesn't have to look the same, feel the same, cost the same, etc. There's no limit to what can be done (or not done). :smilie:

Edited by mygoldfish

Agreed. Getting married is an important and significant step in your life that I think deserves celebration, but not everyone's idea of a celebration is the same. Life is too short though the way it is, so do what you want and the other things will fall into place. I could have taken some of the money we spent on the wedding and put towards my student loan, but I'm glad I didn't and we had the wedding we did and the HONEYMOON! I will NEVER regret the money we spent on the honeymoon!!! Hahaha

I just found out that my coworker is spending the same amount of money soley on the FOOD for his wedding as I did for my ENTIRE wedding... Did I tell this story already? I can't remember hahaha I just can't believe it!!!

I think a wedding reminds me of prom. Lots of money and you wake up the next day and where did it go? We have two kids, a small acreage, money could go somewhere I could reap the benefits much more...plus I do not look forward to the "all eyes:focus on me" crud. I've had a not so great couple of years and most of my friends and I have drifted as well as my sister and I, so it's kind of like a rub in my face trying to come up with a wedding party. Plus I am so socially awkward...I hate that small talk/awkward chit chat stuff. Vegas wedding sounds amazing! Lol especially with this nasty cold weather we've been having.

jb thats how I am too, i didnt like being the focus.

I cant wait to be able to move and get a new job. Current job is stressing me out big time.

would it be horrible of me to want a new job? =[ I have only worked here since september, and the job before that I only lasted about 6 months...

I'm really not happy though. I feel like the way this office is run is very unfair because the other youngest agent is my boss's daughter and she clearly gets special treatment and I don't like having an 18-year-old boss me around and she doesn't seem to be held to the same rules and expectations that I am - double standards all over the place.

Problem is, I just spent around $1500 to get licensed as a real estate agent and I signed a noncompete when I started here so if I quit I won't be able to use my license for a year. I know that doesn't throw ALL the money down the drain, but it just seems silly to put it on hold for so long after spending so much, especially since I spent money that wasn't really mine... and some of it is wasted though - at least half of that was yearly dues to various associations, so if I don't practice for a year I'll have to pay again when I start.

I'm really frustrated though. I really don't like this.

The thing is, I might not mind actually being an AGENT here. It's working for them in the RECEPTIONIST capacity that really bothers me, becuase that's where the disrespect and unfavorable dynamic is seen. I wonder if it would fly if I asked to not be their receptionist anymore but still be their agent?

Hmmm...

MyGoldFish-Everywhere you go, there will be people you don't like. The best thing to do is to get along with those people. Just think about when you are older you might have bosses that are 20 to 30 years younger then you. It's just the way the world works. If you really aren't that happy with being the receptionist, ask about just being an agent. The worse they can say is no. I'd hate you to see all your money go down the drain.

Krystal-That sucks!!!! People are disgusting!

Two separate types of robberies. Not the same person. I guess.

I find it ironic because I live in the nice part of town.

I never got robbed when I lived in the projects lol.

have you jumped before Krystal? you will LOVE it.

why is everyone getting married and having babies? one of my good friends just got engaged (as previously mentioned) and one of my fb friends is pregs, and for some reason it just came as a real surprise.. didn't see that coming.

DH is talking and wants me to go on the road again. I don't mind the thought, but I can't leave my dog. And he is so not a people person that I couldn't bring him with. Is it sad I'm basing my decision on my dog?

Krystal- it's addicting...trust me!

CA- I know the feeling, my 'future brother and sister in law' got engaged yesterday as well as a friend from high school and tons of friends from high school are pregnant. Then there's me...I just want a proposal, to horse show, and to travel lol

Kristen- you spend 90% of your time with your dog. Totally understandable to think of him first. Plus, you're his voice and it's responsible of you to think of him before yourself! Sadly not many do