Sign in to follow this  
PaintMyPast

G. H. Vaught?

I have the chance to possibly buy a G. H. Vaught western saddle at a low price-- and that's just about all I know about it. It is a 15", which is good because that's what I need, but I still have to check it out as far as my horse. The price is definitely right if this is a decent saddlemaker, AND it comes with lots of extra goodies (several saddle pads, insulated cantle bag/saddle bags combo, bridle, etc.)

But has any one heard of G.H. Vaught? Are they good saddles or even okay saddles? The information says:

G.H. Vaught

Rockwall

Tex.

MAW5R

The line with all the letters/numbers might be a bit off, the picture is hard to read. Everything but the seat size is in a sort of semi-circle. The saddle itself looks like it has been ridden in a lot, but well-kept. The only thing that seems strange is that the seat looks brand new? I guess it might have been replaced some time recently...

Sorry no pics, I don't have permission to post them. Any info anyone can give me on the maker would be swell, though!!!

I once owned a saddle made by G.H Vaught. It was well-made and was in good condition when I got it. Of course, I cleaned and reconditioned it for re-sale. He made good saddles. My reference says he had a shop in Rockwall, Texas from 1940 through the 1950's. I don't know when he stopped building saddles.

Hope this helps. [smiley Wavey]

Thank you!! I think I'll go pick it up and see if it works for me. If not I'll just clean it up and send it on it's way :smilie:.

Thanks again!! I couldn't find any info on it, just a few sale saddles here and there that were made by him. Most were listed at least $200-300 more than this one, so unless it has major problems I think it's at least worth a shot.

[smiley Wavey]

Nope, it was on craigslist and it sold before I got a chance to go look at it in person :mecry: Sad. Oh well, I suppose there will always be more saddles to go look at!! We just moved to a new town and supposedly there are TWO big tack shops nearby that sell used saddles. I want to go check them out at some point, and I am sure I will have more questions then.

Thanks for your help!!