Sign in to follow this  
loseridiot91

New Horse!

So I got a new horse [Jump] He's a 16.3hh 6 year old OTTB gelding. He's done a few schooling combined tests and one schooling trial at hopeful level but I never heard how he placed exactly. He was leased to a girl the past winter and she let him drop weight horribly, though he's much better now, but still not quite there.

Anyways, I'm hoping he'll be the horse I can take to levels higher than novice. So what do you guys think?

This was him a few weeks ago:

warpilot-1.jpg?t=1273194682

This was the first time I saw him

AlluraJump.jpg?t=1273194743

Jumping

26735_380883126579_713336579_4484240_1073027_n.jpg

Trotting out

26735_380885506579_713336579_4484302_2847115_n.jpg

Edited by pilot_eventer_91

I like him!! he's a BIG"un!! and RED too the right color!! [Not Worthy] hope he's everything you hope'd he'd be ,he looks so athletic and smooth!an I right? do Him proud!

Shiny chestnut! Very nice. I think with some good flatwork and topline building, he'll look like a star. A good, game TB is made for eventing :)

Oh WOW! He's a looker! I like him! Keep us posted!

Quick update on him:

Lego's doing great under saddle, BUT I can't seem to keep my position jumping him =/ It's so wierd. I'll be making a post with that tomorrow with a video.

Anyways, I'm having trouble getting weight on him. The picture of him above is the best I've had him though he has dropped some weight since, even though he's getting WAY more food now. He's recently developed a wormy belly so I've ordered a power pack.

I posted about this on the health board: Here

It has pictures of his stomach and how pregnant he looks o.o

It kills me because I want to start showing him SO bad but he's not going anywhere until he looks healthy. Hopefully the power pack and the dentist will help. Any insight would be awesome!

Here's some pictures of us since the first post:

15710_386876831579_713336579_4631626_745237_n.jpg

This was Lego and I in may. I absolutely love this picture of him. Look at those knees!

28566_388136741579_713336579_4656979_5045313_n.jpg

I pretty much hate my position, but love him!

28566_388136731579_713336579_4656978_4550359_n.jpg

He can jump O.O

He's been on beet pulp since March =/ I did have a vet look at him the other day while he was at our barn and he said its defiantly worms. So hopefully the power pack with help.

Thanks!

How could the vet tell that he was "definitely wormy" by just looking at him? As far as I'm aware the only way to do that is if there are actual worms noticeable in his manure? In which case you absolutely have a problem!

What was he last wormed with and do you know when he was last wormed for tapes? I try do a Powerpak yearly but if I don't know a horse's recent worming history, I don't really think that throwing massive amounts of wormer at him is the best plan.

I'm pretty sure Safe Choice is made by Nutrena, nut Purina. It's 14% protein according to the website. :winking: Also if he hasn't had his teeth done in the past 8 months or so, that seems like an obvious thing to do.....

Well since I'm not a vet myself I don't know how he can just look at a horse and tell. What he probably said was he definatly looks wormy.

He was last wormed with Zemectrin and it was mid april to may. I'm not exactly sure but it's marked at the barn on our calendar.

Any way my bad, you're right with the Nutrena thing. I was just recently looking at a bunch of Purina feeds and had it on mind.

His teeth were done yesterday too.

My mare is a hard to keep weight on too. I have her on a full grain scoop of Strategy and she was also getting beet pulp, and Amplify.

I highly recommend Amplify! It is made by Purina and it is like these little pellets. Its relatively inexpensive as well, about $40 for a 50lbs bag. It really helps keep the weight on. All the hard keepers in our barn are on it and are doing great.

But I would try and see about his teeth, do the power pack, and see if you can put him on Amplify. Being as young as he is I would hope he wouldn't have ulcers.

Awesome! I think I'll do that.

His teeth were done the other day and the power pack is due to arrice tomorrow.

I'll order Amplify tomorrow.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh, I forgot to add, that it the Amplify also comes in these totes.... like 35lbs? and they have the measuring scoop in them. Unfortunately, the bags dont have the scoop. But its about 2cups worth. My mare gets it twice a day.

Good Luck!

First I must say, he is GORGEOUS. :drool:

My mare is a hard to keep weight on too. I have her on a full grain scoop of Strategy and she was also getting beet pulp, and Amplify.

I highly recommend Amplify! It is made by Purina and it is like these little pellets. Its relatively inexpensive as well, about $40 for a 50lbs bag. It really helps keep the weight on. All the hard keepers in our barn are on it and are doing great.

But I would try and see about his teeth, do the power pack, and see if you can put him on Amplify. Being as young as he is I would hope he wouldn't have ulcers.

I totally agree on the amplify! I feed strategy healthy edge and it has the amplify in it, and it is amazing. [Not Worthy]

Here's a quick update:

It's been a week since I started the power pack, it ended last sunday.

He's already gained weight! Very obvious weight too. I wasn't even looking for weight gain, it just showed up. His stomach doesn't seem as swollen aslo. Here's two pictures to compare:

Weight.jpg?t=1281098854

Also, he's been so perky! He has more life in him now. Thankfully he still has a good mind when I ride him, but there is still more weight for him to gain... so we'll see haha!

Just a little update on him, since everyone was so nice to help me with ideas.

He'll be moving to a private farm soon, TONS of grass, great care, etc. I'm excited. Until then he's home. Not the greatest facilities, but its better than being in an overcrowded pasture with glass bottles. I took a ton of pictures when he came home sunday but the card corrupted =/ He's much happier and his coat has improved (he's red!). I took a quick one a second ago to show you guys.

By the way, the picture of his before and after is kind of misleading. The lighting in the "after" picture made him look better than he was. He was better, but not THAT much better.

Here's today:

45054_415760571579_713336579_5424819_7291303_n.jpg

(The picture quality came out bad, that's the best I could do to fix it)

Lego has gained weight! It's not perfect, but everything has filled out so far except for his ribs, but he's only been there a month. The new place I took him to actually TRIES to help figure his problem out.

Anyways, here's some pictures from this week. He's coming along great!

73637_439745446579_713336579_5936923_508609_n.jpg

73722_439745576579_713336579_5936927_2131128_n.jpg

33720_439745721579_713336579_5936930_2294496_n.jpg

I definitely think he needs over reach boots, also! He's so pretty! I too have a "red" sorrel. But your boy is a gorgeous mover and jumper.

I normally ride in bell boots but he demolished his in our previous ride.

I'm buying a new pair tomorrow.

My previous horse would NOT use his back end. And Lego REALLY does. Horses :duh:

In the first set of photos was he barefoot? Im asking because in the photos of him at the top with his extended foot, its landing flat almost heel first, now with the shoes on the last set of photos he isn't wanting to land that way, and appears to be landing toe first. His toes also look pretty long, which could be the reason he is not breaking over as fast causing him to over reach. If your farrier can roll his toe on the fronts and backs and give him a better breakover I bet that would fix his over reach problem. It would have to be spread out over a few trims, if he were to bring his toes back on the first trim you will have a pretty sore horse. But it's hard to tell from the last photos on how long his toes really are. I would look into that.

Also the comment about scoping him, its a very expensive procedure, and my vet always says to treat it like they have ulcers and if things improve then keep on what your doing but if they don't, then invest your money into getting the horse scoped. He said the medication to get rid of the ulcers isn't going to hurt the horse if they don't, so thats why he suggested that. Just a thought!

Also if you pick up some alfalfa pellet type stuff, or even just up his hay that should help. Make a slow feeder so he doesn't suck up your money as fast, and it will keep him entertained and not go through his hay as fast. There is a sticky at the top of the hoof board on building different types of feeders.

Edited by storey

Storey-

At that point when the last set of pictures was taken he was a week over-due for shoes and there was a reason. He has a crack in his hoof and my farrier wanted me to wait as long as possible so he could get as much of the crack trimmed out.

Anyways, he's been trimmed since and my farrier does the rolled toe on him. He was bare foot in the first set of photos. He came to me barefoot and the previous owner said he was fine without them standing in the field, though shortly after coming to me he was sore from being worked barefoot so I started having him shod.

As for his weight, he is gaining weight now. He has a bit more to go but he's looking a million times better. He was scoped and came up clean. I moved him to a different barn that has tons of grass and that really seemed to help.