Sign in to follow this  
mrsimps

Vodka And Lc

I finally got my butt out and started riding LC this weekend. She's REALLY broke. She's got "old cow broodmare don't want to be ridden" syndrome but it's fading fast. Every ride is less resistant and shows a little more of her training! Saturday I asked her to turn around and she did the prettiest fast little roll back I've seen in awhile. My friend Hillary came by yesterday and rode her around. That was fun because I didn't realize how GOOD LC looks moving and being ridden. She's got a great headset, very cadenced in a trot and lope (when she wasn't trying to buck... yes... she bucked! pathetically. It's more a resistance to being asked to work) She looks like she should be in the show ring doing horsemanship or maybe even a bit of WP if she lost some more weight!

I didn't get any riding pictures but I did get a few of her saddled and cleaned up a little.

31603_1179280541813_1822159493_339561_7151674_n.jpg

LC had some really horrendous foot care last year when we loaned her out to the handicap riding program. They completely hacked her heals off and let her toes get about 4ft long. Then they sent her home lame (and emaciated) and said there was something wrong with her. They said she was so thin because their shoer recommended they take weight off her to make her sound. There's one thing to keep a horse light in weight and another to take them down to skin and bones. LC has what I call "fat mare" feet. They want to be low heeled anyway and flare out like you often see in a draft horse. She really needs regular correct foot care to keep her from flaring. Mom wasn't the greatest about keeping the "broodmares" trimmed last winter either so I'm just starting to get her straight now.

Mom took her in to the vet after she picked her up from the riding program and had her checked. X-Rays and the whole 9 yards. She's sound but the vet said the farrier really hosed her up. I'm explaining all this so you can understand what's going on with her front feet. We're trying to bring back her toes and give her some heel but it's going to take a few trims to undo the damage they did to her all last summer.

31603_1179280261806_1822159493_339555_6773201_n.jpg

31603_1179280621815_1822159493_339562_3455034_n.jpg

31603_1179280661816_1822159493_339563_2896768_n.jpg

Just for kicks, here's one of almost baby mamma CoCo. I'm so excited now that she's getting close.

31603_1179280701817_1822159493_339564_1313632_n.jpg

Edited by mrs

Really nice looking horses, mrs.! LC is a pretty girl and Coco is yumm too! When is she due?

I took a bunch more pictures of Vodka yesterday as well but they are still on my camera. Hillary took some great ones of him rebelling at lunging. I'll get them uploaded tonight. I went pretty much straight to bed after getting in from playing with the horses yesterday.

Some of you on FB might have noticed my wanted joke.

WANTED: Someone young and dumb with a velcro butt and lots of bounce to come put the first ride on Vodka for me. Health insurance a plus.

I really don't mind getting on a colt for the first time but honestly.... IMO that carp should be left for the young and invincible. LOL Especially since I don't have a round pen or a small lot.

My friend Hillary had already volunteered to be the sack of sand. I in no way want to call her dumb but she is younger, more fit, and more flexible than me... and willing... AND insured. LMAO

So...

Vodka in his new Zebra gear mom sent me. I'd been holding off on using it until he shed out better. He's getting pretty slick now so he deserves his new stuff. (pad and boots)

31034_1179094897172_1822159493_339237_7751081_n.jpg

AND his first ride!

30080_1179778474261_1822159493_340607_3656679_n.jpg

We did the basic foot in the stirrup, foot out of the stirrup... wash and repeat on both sides... move to the other side of the arena and repeat again... until he was bored to tears with the whole thing. LOL We had to wake him up several times because I didn't want him to be "suprised" when she finally got on him. We walked him around and she did a tiny bit of stearing as well as stoping and backing up. I kept him on the long line but didn't use it much. Overall it was a very nice... very boring first ride. Just how they should be.

ETA: I need someone who sews to make me a set of sunglasses for him when we ride. I can't see his eyes through the fly mask I got him. I wonder if something could be made out of tent screen or something that would attach to his bridle? Something that would help shade his eyes and yet allow me to see in there to determine if he's going to be an a** or an angel. LOL

Edited by mrs

Really nice looking horses, mrs.! LC is a pretty girl and Coco is yumm too! When is she due?

Thanks for responding Mia.

CoCo was pasture bred so we don't have an actual date. She started bagging up last week though so it could be anytime. I expect it will be another week but probably more like two weeks. Mom is guessing May 23rd. I have no guess. I'm just ready. CoCo belongs to my mom but I brought her out to use her. I get to keep the foal though. :D :D :D Mom asked me who I was going to breed her to after she foaled. I was all :twitch:... LOL I am getting the baby I want in her belly. After that I was just planning on using her for a riding mare. Mom was proud.

I get to keep this baby because my mare Dazzle didn't settle last year. This foal is by the same stallion but CoCo is really a much nicer, better bred mare. I think mom felt bad that Dazzle turned up open. I love it when mom feels bad and I get a nice horse. (that's how I got DAZZLE! LOL) I'm just strumming out healthy foal and mare vibes now. I don't care what color it is or what sex.

The color possibilites are pretty endless though.

CoCo hasn't been tested but I believe she's really a dunskin. She's registered as a dun and has a true dorsal stripe. Her dam is black (believed to be homozygous - never foaled a sorrel) and her sire is dunskin.

Roy is sorrel.

MidMo,

He's 15.1 and a half right now. I bought me a new stick just to measure him. I was sick of the tape measure and level ordeal. I don't think he's done growing though.

I love LC! She looks like such a great mare, feel free to send her to me any day.. I'd make room.

Vodka looks great, and I love how cool he looks with a "bag of sand" on his back. You may want to get a cashel quiet ride (I think that's what they're called). They're a lot thinner than the usual fly mask.

LOL I had to add one more. Here is LC standing at the bar on Friday night. The buttheads cut down my tieing tree so I had to find a post concreted in. She did awesome. I'm always a little careful taking a "new" horse through town.

31034_1178501962349_1822159493_338013_2318063_n.jpg

Nice looking horses! If you ever want to get rid of LC let me know. She'd look so good in my herd. Plus I love the broodies brought back into work lol.

LOL Irish.... That's what she's at my house for.

For the record though, she's maiden. Mom pretty much changed her entire breeding program after LC was born. She never bred her but she ran with the mares her whole life (when she wasn't off to the trainer).

Everyone looks great mrs!!

Vodka's tail not only looks white, but he has a lot of it, doesn't he? Very glad to hear the first ride was so uneventful!

I have a fly mask thingy made for riding in. It velcro's to the headstall, but not sure if it would work without a browband. I'll have to look again at how it attaches and at how well you can see Gulliver's eyes through it...

MRS, Loved seeing the pics!! LC is a doll!!! I love that you take her to the bar!! LOL Which special needs riding program did you leave her with last summer? Just curious...I used to volunteer at one over ten years ago in Ft. Collins.

And now you got me excited for Coco and her baby too!

Vodka is coming along VERY nicely!! You have done such a great job with all of them!

Mrs, Vodka reminds me so much of my perlino Icee it's scary. And Ice has the SAME attitude about the been there done that stuff and is almost the same color. I've been preparing him to be broke late this year and he is just taking it all like it's absolutely nothing. I even threw my skinny niece up and him and he was just like ~*fall asleep*~ whatever! What kind of breeding does Vodka have again?

I often work Ice with his cashel fly mask on (long nose and ears!). He can see out of it just fine and I know it helps him see the round pen a lot better in the bright sun. We had a case where he caught his nose on the edge of the roundpen one day, I've used his fly mask ever since. You can look into those Cashel Quiet Rides if you'd like, but their nose is still exposed.

I do have to ask what kind of shampoo did you use to whiten? Ice will never get that white as he has his reddish tint as a perlino, but I think he could get a bit whiter than he is now.

They all look great!! But I'm sooooo in love with LC. If only......

Thanks for posting the pics. & making me drool over her once again lol

You're more than welcome! Get used to it because I'm going to start using her now and there will be pictures!

Everyone looks great mrs!!

Vodka's tail not only looks white, but he has a lot of it, doesn't he? Very glad to hear the first ride was so uneventful!

I have a fly mask thingy made for riding in. It velcro's to the headstall, but not sure if it would work without a browband. I'll have to look again at how it attaches and at how well you can see Gulliver's eyes through it...

Mom said his tail is probably worth more than he is. LOL Sad to say but it's probably true. Nice white show tails can be expensive. He's got a pretty mane to. He's definately got the "hair" DNA.

LOL Which special needs riding program did you leave her with last summer? Just curious...I used to volunteer at one over ten years ago in Ft. Collins.

This was a place back in Iowa. I actually think it was over the boarder in SD. Maybe Sioux Falls. I'd have to ask mom. I'm pretty sure it was Sioux Falls actually.

What kind of breeding does Vodka have again?

I often work Ice with his cashel fly mask on (long nose and ears!). He can see out of it just fine and I know it helps him see the round pen a lot better in the bright sun. We had a case where he caught his nose on the edge of the roundpen one day, I've used his fly mask ever since. You can look into those Cashel Quiet Rides if you'd like, but their nose is still exposed.

I do have to ask what kind of shampoo did you use to whiten? Ice will never get that white as he has his reddish tint as a perlino, but I think he could get a bit whiter than he is now.

Jacks Buck Eye - Pedigree

I don't like to work him with his mask because a lot of what I'm trying to teach him right now its to watch me and it's hard to reward him for looking at me when I can't tell when he's looking at me. LOL

I just used whatever cheapo shampoo to get the gunk out and then I soaked it in woolite. I've washed his tail only twice so far. I don't have real good pictures of his tail before but this gives you an idea. There's still a lot of yellow staining in it if you look at it but it's a lot better. Just washing it out and getting the gunk out helped. LOL

P1010492.jpg

Oh yah, the Cashel Quiet Ride is exactly what I need. That will work. I'll have to go search for a great price or free shipping or something. LOL

They all look great!! But I'm sooooo in love with LC. If only......

Thanks for posting the pics. & making me drool over her once again lol

Ditto!!!!! What is her breeding? She reminds me alot of my AQHA stallion only he is more red.

Vodka is growing up nicely.

Ditto!!!!! What is her breeding? She reminds me alot of my AQHA stallion only he is more red.

Vodka is growing up nicely.

LC is actually a pretty well bred mare IMO. She's an own daugher of Watch Sonny Shine who was a pretty nice horse back in his day. Sonny D Bar, Two Eyed Jack, Skipper W, and Three Moore. (I love Three Moore). I bought LC's mom Credit (purchased with a credit card at a breeders sale) because she still had Three Moore on her papers. ;)

Shining Credit - pedigree

ETA: I need someone who sews to make me a set of sunglasses for him when we ride. I can't see his eyes through the fly mask I got him. I wonder if something could be made out of tent screen or something that would attach to his bridle? Something that would help shade his eyes and yet allow me to see in there to determine if he's going to be an a** or an angel. LOL

Try these mrs....

http://www.cashelcompany.com/productdetail...;ProductID=9570

(also comes with ears or long nose)

btw.......i want LC ;)

Edited by Megs

LC is actually a pretty well bred mare IMO. She's an own daugher of Watch Sonny Shine who was a pretty nice horse back in his day. Sonny D Bar, Two Eyed Jack, Skipper W, and Three Moore. (I love Three Moore). I bought LC's mom Credit (purchased with a credit card at a breeders sale) because she still had Three Moore on her papers. ;)

I knew there was a reason I loved her! My mare is Skipper W bred too.

I'm serious tho, if you ever find that you're in need of a home for her let me know!

Ohhhh ... she IS bred nice! That would make a nice cross with Skip! Too bad he's been celibate for so long. I think he is feeling pretty neglected about that whole thing too, poor guy!

We *might* breed Snickers but I don't know. She's got a pretty nice pedigree:

Snickers

And she's a pretty color which always helps! Now if I could just guarantee a horse colt, I would be a happy camper and go for it!

Ohhhh ... she IS bred nice! That would make a nice cross with Skip! Too bad he's been celibate for so long. I think he is feeling pretty neglected about that whole thing too, poor guy!

We *might* breed Snickers but I don't know. She's got a pretty nice pedigree:

Snickers

And she's a pretty color which always helps! Now if I could just guarantee a horse colt, I would be a happy camper and go for it!

LMAO @ Shes A Dog and Dog Face!!!!!!

I like the chex horses.

LMAO @ Shes A Dog and Dog Face!!!!!!

I like the chex horses.

I know -- makes me wonder what they looked like when they popped out, poor things!

Yeah, I like those Chex horses too. Jake's registered name is Chex Center Stage; he and Snickers have the same dam. She's a bit lazier than him and not nearly as stubborn (I think that comes from Skip) but she's pretty willing as long as she knows you are in charge. She's growing on me! :)

Very nice. My stallion is 4th generation Sonny Dee Bar and Skipper W.

Here is his:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/joey+deluxe+too2

I need to find a picture of him. He was never broke to ride so he is just hanging out getting lots of attention.

Nice! Our stud has some similar lines, being SW bred also:

Skipper

He's branched off in another direction on the bottom with the Doc Tari lines but in the first 5-6 generations, he has some decent lines. He's broke to ride but hasn't really been ridden in years. We throw kids up on his once in awhile, bareback, for photos but that's about it. He loves the kids!

Nice Andi.

We lucked up with him. We got him for a song. His previous owned had herself convinced that he had cancer in his bad eye and told us that she was taking him to a sale as she already bought a young colt as his replacement. The sale we found out she was taking him to was a killer sale. We had already purchased several horses from her. Anyway, we offered her an amount that we thought would be fair since she was taking him to a sale. She countered back with another amount. Still fair. She was just going to throw him away. His sire sold for 26,000 in 01. If Joey had not gotten injured as a weanling, he would have been shown in futurities.

Here is Joey. This was taken last May.

Joey2.jpg

Oh, I like the name Joey! That's just a cool name for a horse.

We got ours on a divorce deal. Originally he was some way unreachable price and within a couple of months, they were getting anxious to sell him and we got him, delivered, for $2200. He was never shown in any breed shows but he was in roping training and loves to work cows!

This is Skipper sometime in the last year or two; he's 17 this year:

050206SkipperKeely02.jpg

pictures077.jpg

He's pretty spoiled too! But not rotten! :happy0203:

Ohhhh, I like him. He's nice.

Ready for this? We got Joey for 400. Yep. We offered her 300. She said she could get more for that at the sale. She knew we liked him and would take care of him. She said she would take 400. We made arrangements to go get him. He was is in Iowa. He's a good boy. We took him to the vet the following weekend and explained what we were told. He laughed and said "this horse doesn't have cancer. He can actually see some shadows". Asked us the bloodlines and asked what we were going to do with him. We told him, let him sire a couple of foals and then let him be a horse. He laughed and said, have a nice day. Didn't even charge us.