Sign in to follow this  
chasin 3 cans

Help My Name My Horse!

I have recently bought and 3 year old appendix bred quarter horse mare. Her registered name is Aprils Lucky Dash. When I bought her, her barn name was Chanel.. but that is to girlie for me.. so for the past two and half weeks I have tried to come up with something with no success! I would like something that has nothing to do with her registered name.. something western with some edge to it.. thanks for the help!! BTW this is the only picture I have of her at the moment!

IMG00003-20100417-1420.jpg

she sure is pretty....

but knowingly changing a horses barn name, is definatly considered bad luck in the horse world.. not that im superstitious at all.. but there is alot of truth to it..

ETA: ive changed a horses name twice because i didnt "like" the horses name the previous owner had given it.... and lets just say, they were those horses turned into all sorts of CRAZY vet bills, and other wierd things.. they were horses i KNEW for years, and never so much as had anything wrong with them up until i changed their name.. if you ask me, it was bad Karma to knowingly change their names..

Edited by equi-librium

Personally, since you are a barrel racer and all (I think, judging by those pics w/ the saddle and your avatar)..I would pick a name that screams "power" or "toughness".

Example: My mare's name is Stormy..her show name is Rebel Summer Storm

Something to that effect.

Like...

Fuel

Torque

Nitro

Octane

Call her Chani - short for Chanel and pronounce it ch not sh. You won't be changing it, just giving her a nickname based on her old barn name. It doesn't sound so girlish and Chani was Paul's wife in the book Dune.

Just a thought.

I used to ride a barrel horse with the registered name Rump Shaker. My vote is Shaker. Its a fun name that you don't see very often.

I changed my Appendix QH's barn name from Charlie :sick:

(I asked them why they called him Charlie and they said: "You know, Charlie horse." )

Does this look like a "Charlie" to you?

Gage021-1.jpg

I renamed him "Gage" after a gorgeous bay QH gelding my friend had purchased and turned out to be a ridgeling. He had a nasty attitude and reared up and stuck a barn worker the first morning he was at the barn, when he brought in his feed. :twitch:

I didn't let that stop me. I liked the name so "Gage" he is. It's way better than anything from his registered name which is Eternal Dun Sun.

My friend said I jinxed her cuz the new owners brought the horse back a week later. They could not manage him either.

Personally I like "Scandal" for a name.

How 'bout "Calamity" for "Calamity Jane"?

She was a Western Character.

How 'bout "Calamity" for "Calamity Jane"?

She was a Western Character.

My first horse was Calamity Jane. She was a bit of a bia, but was spunky, full of herself, and a total hoot. Her nickname lots of times came out as "Clam", but went with Calamity lots of times.

She's also the dam to my first "baby". Named him Jesse James.... :grin:

Edited by Zeusyboy

She looks like a Sally to me- Like Ride Sally Ride! Dont ask me though my mares barn name is Philly-creative right? HAHA!

Dash

Sierra

Dante

Kiowa

Cinch

Tequila

Cimmaron

Kidd

Shady

Nevada

Chase

Cowgirl

Jesse

Moccasin

Kipper

Moon

Moonshine

Cloud or Cloudy

Sunny

Rio

Reno

Kirby

Blue

Smoke

A name I've always liked and just though of is Kaija. you pronuonce it "kie-juh" I think it's pretty and exotic, and not common lol