trailhoss2

Is Anyone Here A Registered Nurse?

I'm going back to school to become an RN. I'm having some 2nd thoughts about it , one reason ,because of my age. I'm old enough now that my kids are grown and I have a lot of free time.

A little history....

I started college 15 years ago to become an x-ray tech. At that time I could hardly decide between the x-ray program or nursing program but chose x-ray.

While I was in school I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to have 3 surgeries because of this. Because of the time off from school, I lagged behind in the class so I dropped the class.

So now at 45 years old I've started back to school. This time I chose nursing.

My question to you that are nurses:

1. Are you happy that you chose this career?

2. Would yo do it over again?

3. What do you like best about your career?

4. What do you lke least about it?

5. Do you feel you work ALL the time, or do you feel you have enough quality time to spend doing other things?

6. Are job positions as easy to find as hear they are?

7. Do you or have you worked PRN ? Would you do it again?

Thank you for your input.

I'm a nurse 3 years!

1. Are you happy that you chose this career? for the most party yes, it is like anything sometimes you have good and bad days, you get to see the good and bad of humans...

2. Would yo do it over again? yes

3. What do you like best about your career? seriously the time off.. I work 12 hour shifts so I work 3 days a week and have 4 off.. also you get to see some triumphant human moments, esp when people get better and can go home.

4. What do you like least about it? I work on a psych/med surg floor and we get the mean, Manipulative patients. I have been vomited on peed on spit on scratched hit punched ect, (on purpose) some days there is no thanks for work. plus sometimes you get attached to patients and they don't do well. those are the hardest moments. I just found out that someone who spent a lot of time on our floor awaiting an liver transplant died at 38....

5. Do you feel you work ALL the time, or do you feel you have enough quality time to spend doing other things? see above I love my schedule

6. Are job positions as easy to find as hear they are? NO at least not in my area! alot of the laid off factory workers have gone back to nursing school and are filling the spots. for example on my floor in 2007 we hired 29 new grads 2008 30 new grads 2009 25 new grads this year 2010 we are hiring 2. the other hospitals in the area are on a hiring freeze I am sooo glad not to be graduating nursing school this year!!!

7. Do you or have you worked PRN ? Would you do it again? nope the only prn I have worked is if they needed me on the floor so it was over time, yes I would do that again, but just work as just Prn heck no! most floors are staffed well so you wouldn't get the hours/

Thank you for your input. Your welcome

my mom is, but graduated when she was like 21.

I actually had a night chemistry class and had like 3 CNA's and 3 people taking the class b/c they where going to be a nurse (more than just an RN but I don't know the specifics).

They where all older, most where in their 40's and had kids that were grown.

Not going to lie they were pretty annoying to have class with lol They where such know-it-all 's. ha

I actually had a night chemistry class and had like 3 CNA's and 3 people taking the class b/c they where going to be a nurse (more than just an RN but I don't know the specifics).

Not going to lie they were pretty annoying to have class with lol They where such know-it-all 's. ha

LOL.. well I can guarantee you I won't be a "know-it-all" I hope I can just "learn -it- all" ..LOL

1. Are you happy that you chose this career? I've been a nurse for 13yrs and it has its bad days and good days...It is great pay, flexible hrs after you pay your dues for a few yrs and there is always something new to learn.

2. Would yo do it over again? Yes.

3. What do you like best about your career? Feeling of purpose/making a difference, pay and variety. Ease of finding a job. Many different areas of nursing to try...I've been a Med-surg nurse, ER, Cardiac ICU, Oncology, Jail nurse and now Day surgery/recovery room.

4. What do you lke least about it? Dealing w/ people all the time--but that's the best thing about it, too, it depends on the people.

5. Do you feel you work ALL the time, or do you feel you have enough quality time to spend doing other things? When I worked 12hr nights on Med-Surg and had to come in during the day for meetings, inservices etc, it felt like I lived at the hospital, but now...M-F, no weekends/no holidays. I have been a nurse since my daughter was 4yrs old and I'm a single parent. We've had horses for 10yrs and we both have shown horses...we keep them @ our house, too.

6. Are job positions as easy to find as hear they are? Jobs are easy to find, but they may not be the position you want to keep forever...but you won't be unemployed for long unless you want to be. I do suggest at least a year on med-surg before going into any specialty area. It gives you a great knowledge base.

7. Do you or have you worked PRN ? Would you do it again? PRN is ok if you don't need the benefits and you don't have to count on X # of hrs a paycheck. Our PRN nurses are fighting for hrs right now because we are really slow. The OR nurses at major hospitals are also fighting for hrs or being laid off right now. The economy has taken a toll on elective surgery (bunions, plastic surgery, etc.). I only worked PRN when I got burnt out giving Chemotherapy and was trying to decide if where I wanted to work. I don't enjoy it. But, like I said, I'm a single parent-I need the benefits and 40hrs/wk. I've considered travel or agency after my daughter goes to college. As long as they provide benefits and guaranteed hrs.

We had 10+ students in my graduating class that were over forty and one that was 67!!! It's never too late if it's what you want to do. So, GO FOR IT!!! If you hate it, you have a job until you decide what you want to be when you grow up! :) Good luck!

No answers for you, on the nursing questions. I just wanted to say I think you will do fine going back to school. You've got the personality traits of a good nurse; you're caring, you stay calm when the other person is panicking & are able to keep them calm as well...you'll make a fantastic nurse!

well, I just got acepted to an RN program so I'm not much help answering most of the questions but I just wanted to adress the older coming back to school know-it-alls complaint here. I find that most of the returning students in my classes are good students. They may not know the material but they get out there and they learn. They are determined and driven to suceed. I personally like the fact that they're dedicated students, like I am, and I have to work my *** off to keep up with them. It's alot easier for me to deal with that. than it is for me to deal with people who show up half the time at most and want me to do their work for them. I'm more than happy to explain how ot do a problem but don't expect me to let you copy my work or tell you the answers. So while I'm sure some really are annoying know it alls(I've met a few too of all ages) it's really a major generalization to lump all later in life students together.

Trailhoss - I think you'd do well. Sucess is really about how much time and effort you're willing to put in, not age.

Ha I've had several classes with older students I wasn't making a statement to all people continueing education it just reminded me of the nursing ladies in my chem class thats all!!!!!! :)

clearly wasn't lumping people together either...if I did that I'd say "all older continuing edu students in classes are annoying" lol but I didn't.

I am not a nurse. But I will tell you my mom went and got her LPN at the age of 68.

Soo she did it to help others. She worked in home type care and worked for Hospice.

1. Are you happy that you chose this career? Yes

2. Would yo do it over again? Yes

3. What do you like best about your career? It's not just about bedside nursing, there are many other nursing type jobs to pursue. My degree opened many doors for me

4. What do you lke least about it? Shift work and working holidays

5. Do you feel you work ALL the time, or do you feel you have enough quality time to spend doing other things? When I worked shift work, I felt I had plenty of time off

6. Are job positions as easy to find as hear they are? Not in Canada, not anymore

7. Do you or have you worked PRN ? Would you do it again? Haven't done PRN, not sure what the equivalent in Canada would be. We have RNAs (which are Registered Nursing Assistants). I wouldn't bother with that; if you're in school, may as well reach the top tier.

No answers for you, on the nursing questions. I just wanted to say I think you will do fine going back to school. You've got the personality traits of a good nurse; you're caring, you stay calm when the other person is panicking & are able to keep them calm as well...you'll make a fantastic nurse!

Hi Shann!

How are you? I haven't spoke with you in forever!

Thanks for the support [Huggy]

My laptop broke down ans so I can only get online when I'm here at my store. Sorry I didn't reply here sooner.

Call me sometime!