redneckcowgirlmn

Yearling Clocked Me In The Jaw & Shoulder..

Ok, thanks, guys! She IS turning out to be quite the pretty little filly! She's just jumpy. She does a lot better in solitary confinement. Jasmine, you're right. Sacking out. Jess wants to put the pony saddle on her,(Just to lead her around, he's not getting on her till she's at least 2 1/2, & a lot more sane, but I told him not yet.

if i find my horse swinging its hip to avoid my touch, I will go to the right and chase her hip the other way. But, this helps teach them not to move too dramatically. the amount of "getting after" depends on whether she is acting like an old cow or just doesn't understand what I want.

I love threads like this because I learn so much more!

I think my horses would like it if I had never found HC. Now, when riding or in hand, if a horse doesn't want to do something, go somewhere, whatever and I *know* they understand and are capable of doing it? I make them do it, or go there, more than I would have had they not shown any resistance. If a horse tries to go their own way, do their own thing? I make them go and do just the opposite of what they were planning. Jake likes it -- he likes things to be mixed up and exciting. Snickers gets a bit grumbly but she's been well trained enough to know how far she can get away with stuff.

Red? You and Wilson can do this! :happy0203:

we had problems getting Brat to trot out in hand at first. When mounted clucking is the cue to trot. But on the ground we spent HOURS with me on the lead and my son cracking a lunge whip behind her and vice versa. One day I kissed to her, boom, trotted off. We spent another half hour getting her to trot off consistent at the trot with a kiss. This year, pulled her out of the pasture after having several months off. Kissed and she trotted right off like she was worked every day.

Red, you might video a session with her and your son and post it and let the experts give you tips on what is right and ideas on what to do different. Might be something as simple as body language holding her back (so to speak). lol, or she's just being a mare. Either way, darn she's a purdy girl.

Like Journey said body position is very important. When showing halter I am up by the horses head, as compared to when leading here at home when I want the horse more behind me.

Sacking out the babies I do a lot of walking over posts, getting a small tarp and have them walk over it, rub them with the tarp, we had a little bridge around here that I have the babies walk on.

I keep my sessions to the point where I do not loose their attention. Onve I loose their attention it's like pulling teeth. Some days I only work on one piece of the puzzle other days we get more accomplished.

Also, just to let you know that we have to be careful on how we repremand Jr. He is very smart and remembers when he has done something wrong. We use more the of the 3 second kilil method with him.. yell, scream, wave your hands, etc, and he backs off. If he were with someone with a hard hand he would be a nervous mess.