Sign in to follow this  
stardustmypony

Western Horse To Learn English?

Hey everyone! I am very interested in training my western horse (He's an Appy/POA) how to ride English. I know absolutely nothing about English, but it sounds fun and I would like to learn to jump. Any tips or tricks? Thanks a million!

If you had a teacher who knew absolutely nothing about the subject they were teaching, how well would you learn?

You can't TEACH what you DON'T know.

If you want the horse to learn how to ride English, send him to a trainer who KNOWS how to teach him to ride English and take YOURSELF to an instructor to LEARN how to RIDE English. Even if you knew how to ride English you still would not know how to TRAIN English.

Completely agree with manesntails. If you want your horse to learn how to go english send him to a trainer. You can't teach him if you don't even know how to ride english. I suggest sending you and your horse to an english trainer for a while if you want to ride english.

Well, I have the saddle and everything but I just don't know the cues. Is it for example just the norm like cluck and nudge to go or what? I just am curious. My friend rides English and she has agreed to teach me and my horse. I already sent my horse to a trainer and I don't think I can again ($$)

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Oh yeah and I am taking English lessons, so would that help my situation?

Edited by Star&Tupz

Well, I have the saddle and everything but I just don't know the cues. Is it for example just the norm like cluck and nudge to go or what? I just am curious. My friend rides English and she has agreed to teach me and my horse. I already sent my horse to a trainer and I don't think I can again ($$)

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Oh yeah and I am taking English lessons, so would that help my situation?

You NEED to understand that riding a trained horse English and TEACHING a horse is TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Horses are totally ruined DAILY, by people who figure: "Well, I know how to ride do I can now train my horse. WRONG. You have to have YEARS of training experience to know what to do, when to do it, how much to do and for how long, not to mention being able to 'READ THE HORSE" and stop when you need to stop.

You are not experience enough as a trainer to train any horse. Not your own, not with a friend teaching you how to ride, not with a trainer teaching you how to train. Like I said, trying to teach when you do not know HOW to teach is going to RUIN your horse.

Training horses take a step by step method. You do NOT get on and ride him like you ride a horse who is already trained to ride english. He will NOT know what you are doing because you will NOT be showing him any of the steps, only the finished riding which he WILL NOT be ready for.

Really, this should be self explainitory. Would you build a house if you didn't know how? No, well training a horse is exactly like building a house. One little thing leads to the next, then the next and eventually the horse can be ridden like a finished horse. You have NO IDEA, so do NOT attempt to TRAIN when you are not a trainer.

[surrender] OK. Not training my horse English. That's final. Nope. Never. Sorry for being so difficult and stupid. I'm new to all this, I guess. Naive. At least I'm still pretty young and I have time to learn about all this and figure out horses and how they work and how to train one. Thanks for all your instruction. Maybe Ineed a trainer... :ashamed0002:

[surrender] OK. Not training my horse English. That's final. Nope. Never. Sorry for being so difficult and stupid. I'm new to all this, I guess. Naive. At least I'm still pretty young and I have time to learn about all this and figure out horses and how they work and how to train one. Thanks for all your instruction. Maybe I need a trainer... :ashamed0002:

Its really not a problem. This is what the board if for, to put out idea and seek others advice. If you are still pretty young then just enjoy riding and have fun with it, don't try to start training horses yet...you still have A LOT to learn. As for your last sentence; YES! Get a trainer for both you and your horse.

Edited by jumpergirl23

OK, so I have a different opinion than the other people on here. You can ride any horse in any type of saddle. The horse does not need special training to hack around an arena in an english saddle. I say go and have fun with your friend and ride your pony english. You are not going ruin it especially if you are already taking riding lesson's. With that being said, if you want to compete in upper level competition then yes, the pony will need a trainer and so will you. I also do not think any new person should be jumping. Jumping should only be taught by a trainer/instructor.

Simplistically, yes, english and western have the same queues unless you have a highly trained WP horse. Then they probably have a lot of buttons. I am thinking your pony is not like this. Squeeze to trot, outside leg to canter. The horse just pretty much moves out more.

Any trainer worth their weight, even a WP only trainer, has taught the horse to trot out. They don't only teach horses to jog. So if this pony was already sent to a trainer then it should know walk, jog, trot, and canter. There is no difference to that horse whether the saddle is english or western.

I had my WP horse at a proffesional trainers for 5 months. Pretty much only working on western pleasure stuff. After I got him home I decided to go to a show a couple of months later. I showed WP but since I had all the english stuff I decided to ride english too. The first time that horse ever felt an english saddle was at this show. We left that day with the WP and hunter pleasure champions and the horse didn't even blink an eye.

Go and have fun on your pony.

Edited by LMK1975

ok! than help me! I know how to ride both and do both! my horse has just done W/p& some reining/cow work. I'd like to get back to doing some Dressage for fun,Don't plan on showing English ,well not a least now.So I get me dressage saddle yesterday,take it out put it on today seems to fit perfect! yea, its not my reining saddle that she is use to,but she wanted nothing to do with it!All she would do is walk w/ pined ears! no matter what I did ,what's up with that? these saddle(my Reiner) are the exact same size! my other horses didn't care if it was english or western, ever herd of this? My trainer was going to try ride'n her w/ it in her lesson tonight in it and see if maybe It was just too far back...what ya think? I could put my hand to her spine...its a wide tree 31 1/2 Stubben Siegfried VSD, [Question] I hate to send it back....I've look'd long and hard for one of these used and cheep.

ok! than help me! I know how to ride both and do both! my horse has just done W/p& some reining/cow work. I'd like to get back to doing some Dressage for fun,Don't plan on showing English ,well not a least now.So I get me dressage saddle yesterday,take it out put it on today seems to fit perfect! yea, its not my reining saddle that she is use to,but she wanted nothing to do with it!All she would do is walk w/ pined ears! no matter what I did ,what's up with that? these saddle(my Reiner) are the exact same size! my other horses didn't care if it was english or western, ever herd of this? My trainer was going to try ride'n her w/ it in her lesson tonight in it and see if maybe It was just too far back...what ya think? I could put my hand to her spine...its a wide tree 31 1/2 Stubben Siegfried VSD, [Question] I hate to send it back....I've look'd long and hard for one of these used and cheep.

What did the saddle pad patterns look like after your ride? Just because two saddles are the same size does not by any stretch mean that they will both fit the same horse.

Also if you're used to riding in a western saddle you might be slightly off balance in the new dressage saddle and that could be what's setting her off. It could be any number of things.

Some horses will put up with more when it comes to discomfort, others will let you know right away that something is not right.

well I just used a new Pony Pad I had gotten,But one of my fellow boarders (that does both w/ her 1/4 horse) said maybe to leave my Sports-Med pad on and try again,after I ride in my reiner,and see if she still pitches a fit. so that's the plan now...So that is the plan for new wee,as I need to school reining yesterday and didn't get to it. But sounded like a good idea! But its kind of baffling? as all my horses never cared which saddle I used...I hate to not keep it,I love how it feels to me.

Edited by GlowingTrickPony

The bars on an English saddle are not the same as a Western. Your gullet measurement can be the same but your bars are going to be smaller. Just look at the English saddle from the bottom. See how narrow it is on each side of the spine? Your Westen saddle has wider bars. You can generally feel the tree under the leather. The english probably is putting pressure points along each side of your horse's spine TP. That's probably why she hates it. A thicker pad won't stop pressure points, they go right through, eventually and the horse will feel the difference after you are mounted for a few minutes.

The reason I told the OP to not be "training" her horse English is that she barely rides Western and doesn't know what she's doing. She didn't ask "could I put an English saddle on and hack around?" She wanted to know how to "train" her horse to go English. Nuther can of worms. It takes 5 yrs to become a good trainer under the tutelage of an experienced trainer. How is someone who does not know how train going to train a horse to do something they don't know how to do? Kind of like asking someone who has never seen a computer to teach you to run one, isn't it?

yep I agree w/ you on that 4 sure! were still try'n to decide if were keeping the dressage saddle...we still need a lot more fine tune'n in our Reiner 1st, but I figured it would be nice to have to work on some dressage here and there ..just never had a horse have such a reaction? but thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind! on the next try.

I had to chime in. As a riding instructor for several years and horse enthusiast from birth I have to say that people can teach themselves AND their horses new things all the time. I agree fully with LMK1975. First thing I tell my clients is that every time they are interacting with their horses they are teaching them and themselves something be it good or bad.

Horses are smarter than most people give them credit for and often times people are smarter than they give THEMSELVES credit for. If someone has an ambition to do something, don't squelch them for wanting to try something new. That's not right.

My mare can spin and pirouette, she can extend and collect. It's all a matter of how you tell them to do things and how well the two of you can communicate together. Consistency and communication.

When I was a kid I didn't have the money to have a horse or lessons. I read every book I could get my hands on and busted my butt at any barn that would let me often times for free. Eventually I got my horse and spent hundreds of hours with her teaching myself and her new and different things to keep both of us thinking. It was wonderful, exciting and fun. I have had a total of 15 actual riding lessons and can teach riding better than a lot of instructors I have known. This is because I pay attention to the subtleties and listen to horse and rider. I can start a green horse, finish them too, I can make a rude sour horse gentle and pleasant and I did it all by myself.

Star&Tupz - I say get your English saddle, read some books and magazines and work on your English if that's what you really want to do. It will build character in YOU and your pony. Just be safe and when you get stuck ask ask ask questions. Loads of questions. Talk to horse people, vets farriers, friends and in the forums. There are tons of people who would love to tell you what they know and for free. All you need to do is have the courage to ask, the courage to try and the smarts to know if something isn't a good idea. Your gut will tell you that.

I do have to at least state that jumping is a little less safe than flat work so when you get to the point that you are comfortable with the idea of jumping you should get a little help from a pro with that one.

Ok, well in all honesty I skipped over reading half of your replies, not to be rude just because there were too many people emphasizing too much of a difference on "english" and "western". In both discilines you really want the same things, for your horse to be soft, supple and willing to collect/extend. Any GOOD trainer understands that weather a reiner, barrel racer, wp trainer, or dressage or hunter trainer. Alot of times they have different approaches for the same result. Any trainer who understands what it takes to build a solid horse can help. Personally a reining trainer helped me get my horse along and she was awsome.

I'm self taught. Self taught in everything up from trotting western. I practically trained my roping/ barrel horse to do both, she was only lightly roped off of by my dad for a week before I got her. I taught myself how to read a horse, and get them to use their bodies, collect and do simple reining maneuvers. I've broken a horse, tamed 2 from completely wild, and plan on breaking another two horses this summer. I train for people who buy and sell..problem horses essentially, so I get to work with barn sour horses, buckers, rear-ers, horses with no training, horses with all different kinds of training... and I'm just 16.

Sometimes, I think that learning stuff on your own, by yourself, is the best way to do something. You learn so much more from it.

I'd say go do what you want while you can.

And now, I'm teaching myself English riding on my horses who have as much English experience as I do. I don't know of anywhere that I would be able to get any sort of lessons in a 100km radius. And I'm confident that I'll turn out just fine. I want to at least be jumping a bit before I go for surgery to get my ACL reconstructed. I'm going to do everything I possibly can before then.