Sign in to follow this  
EliseandDash

I Need A Lift Up

Hi!!

Some of you may have read my post from a few weeks ago, how ecstatic I was about my horses being barefoot, how great everything was going. That was all true and I hope I get there again.

We have taken a few steps back in the last week or so. My trimmer came out on Memorial Day and gave my gelding his second trim. Before this we were riding quite a bit and he was going great. Well, the trimmer over trimmed him, he has been very sore for the last two weeks. I have been very upset and Sonny is not happy!! He is showing a little improvement, but it's been hard for him.

My mare blew an abscess from her sole Sunday. Her right foot is so bad, her sole so thin, and this was the first abscess I've ever had to deal with. I kind of see this as a positive thing though, she feels better and her foot is changing, hopefully healing.

I am not going to put shoes back on, I know this is the right thing, but have considered getting out of horses all together!!

Thanks for reading. :)

can your trimmer cast them?

going lame is HUGE setback. because correct movement is the only thing that is going to heal the feet. Incorrect (sore) movement will only spiral the feet into pathology that will take forever to correct

thin soles run a HUGE risk of sub-solar abscessing.. which is very bad

if you get them sound for riding again.... another thing you can look at is boots/pads, or just boots (gloves) for riding until the feet have rehabbed all together.

you should have never ridden on newly bare feet without protection....... your trimmer should have these tools and know this... thats just stupid to NOT provide that.... [bang Head]

Edited by jumpin_horses

can your trimmer cast them?

going lame is HUGE setback. because correct movement is the only thing that is going to heal the feet. Incorrect (sore) movement will only spiral the feet into pathology that will take forever to correct

thin soles run a HUGE risk of sub-solar abscessing.. which is very bad

if you get them sound for riding again.... another thing you can look at is boots/pads, or just boots (gloves) for riding until the feet have rehabbed all together.

you should have never ridden on newly bare feet without protection....... your trimmer should have these tools and know this... thats just stupid to NOT provide that.... [bang Head]

The first two weeks I was riding with boots, then only taking him out into the cinders which is soft sand like riding without boots. He was moving out great. After his second trim, I rode him with the boots once and haven't ridden since.

It seems up here, we're told to just ride them. My trimmer talked about boots, but doesn't have them and did not mention casting.

I am doing a lot of research and trying to learn all this on my own. I will be starting with clinics this weekend and Dr. Teskey will be seeing my mare this week. He's been seeing my horses and hasen't been too concerned. I am however very concerned!!

I am pretty sure I don't want to use the same trimmer, I don't trust him now.

I'm feeling pretty sick about all this and very scared that I'm doing something wrong.

I know what you're feeling, Elise. Hugs to you, and I hope it gets resolved soon! [Huggy] [Huggy]

I wish I had good advice, but the others here will provide that. I am kind of in the same boat as far as not trusting the trimmer. My trimmer either got too aggressive, or it was Rosie's yeast infection, but she was sore for a little over 3 weeks after the last trim.

Maybe Dr. Teskey could recommend a good trimmer in your area? Might be worth asking.

Good luck getting your horse sound again. Definitely scary for things to go that badly after a trim.

they werent in boots long enough.

google: "equicast"... you can cast them yourself, after their next trim. if your trimmer doesnt

its easy [smiley Wavey]

Thanks guys!

I have looked at the equicast site and watched the video and it does look easy. With my luck though I'll screw it up and make them worse. Can you tell I'm a little freaked out? I can't help but think this is all my fault, I did this to them and I was trying to do something good for them.

We took them for a walk yesterday both with boots. I put my mares back boots on my geldings front feet. They're a tad big (ordering new ones today), but I could tell he was much happier. He was walking out nice, doing circles without much discomfort. It almost seems like he doesn't trust his feet which sucks!!

I am going to a Dr. Teskey clinic Saturday and my trimmer will be there too.

Wana hear something I think is messed up? My trimmer also works for the county and they were repaving our road. He was out there and saw me dealing with my gelding and saw how sore he was. I know this because he told a friend of mine who is also his client. That friend told me he saw us. I wonder why he didn't call? I haven't called him either though, we need to talk. I was just so mad I didn't think it would be productive.

on my scariest rehabs, I stop by quite often or call just to check up on them. thats weird that he noticed and didnt contact you... perhaps he is pondering over it [Question]

you CAN cast.. its super easy.. you can get the small glue cartridges that dont require the glue gun. practice with gauze first (no glue).. as long as you dont end up with it wrapped around your head, its hard to mess up :happy0203:

why I like the casts over boots?

they can be on 24/7 for really ouchie feet. you have options because you can use no pad, or a thin pad and DIM or CS under the pad. the feet dont get so hot because they can breath under the cast. they are sturdy, they stay on great, they provide lots of support/protection. the owner doesnt have to DO anything. also, I buy them in bulk from a medical supply place, and I can get them in fun colors too! [Crazy]

Edited by jumpin_horses

It sounds like the trimmer knows he messed up, and doesnt care! Are there any other trimmers in the are? I think I would be hard pressed to have him back, if there was someone else in the area to try. I am sorry your horse is hurting so much!

It sounds like the trimmer knows he messed up, and doesnt care! Are there any other trimmers in the are? I think I would be hard pressed to have him back, if there was someone else in the area to try. I am sorry your horse is hurting so much!

I'm thinking the same thing. I just don't think I'm going to use him again. HE's a good guy and is trying, but this much soreness is unacceptable, considering how good he was doing before the second tri.

Good news is I have an appt with Dr. Teskey this afternoon. I will be buying some casting stuff on the way down and I will ask him to help me with it. She needs it. I will order equicast and have it handy to keep casting.

My question is can you cast with an active abscess? It's blown already, but is a little weapy.

THanks everyone!!

where has it blown out?

It blew out just left of the apex of the frog.

Just got back from Dr. Teskey's. We trimmed her a bit, cleaned up the area of the abscess and put her boots on. As I figured, he wasn't too worried, and I really trust his opinion. So, I keep soaking and keeping it clean until it starts to close up, keeping a boot on that foot. He is still very confident of both of the horse's feet and I am much happier.

Sonny needs to keep moving and realize his feet aren't going to fall off when he moves. My trimmer won't be trimming my horses again, I think by the time they're ready I can do it myself.

He showed me how to do some basic trimming today (I, of course will be still learning lots more), and it was very difficult. I can see why the farrier's weren't to happy with my mare. She leans and pulls her feet away. I don't see this as a future career! :)

the casts shouldnt impede that area. they go around the toe and back of the foot

but, she is booted now, so thats the next best thing

hang in there. keep us informed of her progress [Huggy]