Southerngurl01

Mileage To Charge For Trimming Services?

Wonder what some charge for mileage and how they work out long distance trimming? I put up an ad and I'm getting inquiries, all far away. I told the first guy $1.00 a mile one way and it's 100 miles. May not be enough? My truck gets about 20 miles to the gallon, diesel which is $3 a gallon right now. Plus my time and wear on my vehicle, maybe it's not enough. It's hard to figure this stuff out before you've done it.

Wonder what some charge for mileage and how they work out long distance trimming? I put up an ad and I'm getting inquiries, all far away. I told the first guy $1.00 a mile one way and it's 100 miles. May not be enough? My truck gets about 20 miles to the gallon, diesel which is $3 a gallon right now. Plus my time and wear on my vehicle, maybe it's not enough. It's hard to figure this stuff out before you've done it.

I was GOING to say - I live 20 miles outside of town and have never EVER had a farrier charge for mileage...........but a hundred miles?? But holy doodle ! That's a pretty excessive distance......sounds like farriers are few and far between out there.

There's the gas..........there's your time............there's the wear and tear.

I tell you what. I think I'd be insisting the person to haul their horse to YOU. Cause otherwise - an hour and a half each way of your time.........total three hours.......how many LOCAL horses could you trim during the same time.

CR

Most farriers I know, would not travel a hundred miles to do one or even 3 horses. Most want to make a day of it. For those around here that is a minimum of 8 to 10 horses. So have them find some other clients for you to do that day so they can split mileage costs, or like Cactus Rose says, have them haul to you. Personally, I'd rather haul to my farrier, than pay mileage, simply because I can haul there, for less than they charge me for mileage, for their gas guzzler.

In fact I like it better if they charge one flat rate ( for example) say 40 bucks a horse, which includes mileage. I don't mind paying that price. I just don't want to pay say 30 bucks for a trim, with say a 50 dollar mileage fee on top of it, every 5 weeks. You won't get many customers, no matter how good a trimmer you are. People will stop getting regular trimmings done, or find someone cheaper. Word gets around if your fees are too high.

If you are just starting out however, sometimes you will want to take these types of jobs to get your name out there. I did that in and around Asheville which is over an hour away and now I have two full days for work there. I built my reputation and name and got more clients fro word of mouth.

I do charge a milage fee however if the place I need to go is over 35 minutes from my route which is just over an hour drive time extra. I charge 15 bucks for that extra driving unless they have two horses or more and then I dont. I see it as an oppourtunity to build another route of clients.

I wont go much over that out of my way however because it doesnt make sense and the client can get trimming cheaper usually with someone else so my effort will probably not be worth my time in the end.

Oh I also drive a fuel efficiant car. When you dont need a shoe inventory and a forge and anvil, you can drive a Hyundai :)

i try my best in groupin areas and clients together. for one it help cause i absolutely hate drivin. and two it makes it to where i dont have to charge mileage cause im not havin to make multiple trips out to the same area. given that a great majority of my clients are 45+ miles away from me one way, it is not so bad cause in one trip im usually trimmin 17+ horses. plus i put after market parts on my truck to get better mpg. so all in all i never ran into a situation to where i needed to charge extra for gas.

Geez! I can't imagine! 8? 17? Give me good horses, a rocking chair to sit in and disc sander, oh and make me 20 years younger while you're at it....then....maybe!

How many horses can you do in a day Trinity, and still survive to tell about it?

CAN do?

I CAN do 15 or 18 horses now depending on how good they all are and the timing works out to get to all the houses at the right time etc etc..........I have done it before.

I think....If they were really good horses with feet that are kept up , stand still, all in one place, I dont have to answer 50 questions and am not distracted by clients I probably realistically COULD DO 25 horses in a day....IF I worked from 8 AM to dark - in one place with breaks and lunch. Again...the next day I would be wrecked tho...Id need a week to recover LOL...If I had to I could do it...But I sure would not want to.

I like 10 in a day max...12 is pushing it for me. A tired trimmer is not as effective or accurate and this isnt about the money for me. I not ashamed that I AM a female who has worked like a man most of my life because I thought I had something to prove and now have some painful arthritus starting in my fingers and hands. I did start myself on a joint supplement tho and am servicably sound :D ....No need to push too hard. Im older and wiser now lol...

Edited by Trinity