Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

I Got Ran Over By Garth

I was in the pasture trying to catch Vanity when Garth comes trotting up behind me and just plows into me. He is a short little horse,but boy is he stout. He is still my favorite horse,this was the horse I poured my heart and soul into making him a great all around horse,then he was sold. My cousin bought him actually,which was great because i can still work with him.

Anyway, whenever he knocked me over I wen flying about 3 feet in front of him. One of his hooves caught my bad ankle,and another one clipped my head,then another hit my arm. The one on the ankle is by far the worst,it is already bruised and swollen. I just have a lump on my head that doesn't even hurt right now.

But it just scared me!

Well, your 'all-around horse' has had a 'come-apart'. His manners went to heck in a hand-basket. You are as far down his pecking order as you can get.

I hope you got up and tried to 'kill' him with anything that was at hand.

It sounds like has received "all around" too many hugs and kisses and not received any lessons in respect. If you leave out "Respect 101" all you have is a dangerous animal who rides once you get on him.

Now, take care of yourself, heal fast and get someone to teach you how to work correctly with horses. When you enter a fied of horses where the horses already know you, you should automatically get the same respect from them that the boss horse (mare or gelding or whatever) would be shown. That is, if you have trained them and done so correctly. A horse that runs you over is telling you that you are the horse at the bottom in his herd. Why? Because he has no respect for you. You have given him no reason to respect you.

That sounds painful! I hope you let him know that he barely escaped with his life!

I've been gone for 4 days and last night, I went out to say hi to the horses. Jake raced up to see me, body slamming the other horses to get to me ... slides to a stop about 2' in front of me, dropped his head and had this "MOM! Pet me!" look. :) I think he missed me! It felt good to be in the middle of the herd being greeted by everyone but not ONE horse even attempted to "crowd" me. *I* crowded them, hugging each one, much to Jake's dismay. He is jealous but he got hugged first. My horses might be a little "spoiled" but they would not consider knocking me down unless by accident. Nor would they do it to a stranger in the field.

I hope you heal up soon and I hope Garth gets some much needed lessons on what is appropriate for his 2 legged herd members!

He used to be great with me,and yes...as soon as I got back up I haltered him and put his butt to work quick. He used to be great,until he was sold. My cousin doesn't do anything with him at all and lets him get away with murder. I can't wait to start really working with him again.

Oh,and it looks like he also stepped on my shin. Huge hoof shaped bruise that is already turing black and blue.

Dang! Sorry you have even MORE injuries than you thought! But glad you put his little frisky butt to work! It's sad when a person's hard work goes down the drain because another doesn't follow thru or keep on top of the situation.

Garth is going to rue the day he ran you over!

Horsie boot camp for that disrespectful fella!

Take Care & Heal Fast!

I have a "magic shoe" you can throw at him next time... it gets strategically stuck in their butt cheeks :happy0203:

my yearling mule tried that with me in the pasture, and I launched my shoe at her as she was kicking at my head. and my shoe got lodged up between her legs, in her butt cheeks for a few seconds.... [ROTFL] it was "GAME OVER" as far as she was concerned

Edited by jumpin_horses

Dang, jumpin, that would be worth money to see . I can imagine that mule with her butt tucked under trying to buck and kick it off. Must have been hilarious.

Dang, jumpin, that would be worth money to see . I can imagine that mule with her butt tucked under trying to buck and kick it off. Must have been hilarious.

he he, yea, at first I was like :twitch:

then I LMAO watching her frantically tip-toe her hind legs independently to dislodge magic shoe

she then walked back up to me quietly, sort of baby yacking..... as if to say "gee, sorry.. I was just playing"

then I looked around to see if anyone noticed :ashamed0002:

funny though...... NEVER happened again.... :happy0203:

Edited by jumpin_horses

So glad your ok and things didn't turn out worse!!

Whenever I see the post title out of the corner of my eye my brain chimes in "grandma got ran over by a reindeer" because of the G in Garth and the ran over. [Duh] Gotta change it to "Sakura got ran over by Garth... and now if he only knew what was in store for him.."

Sorry you got ran over by Garth, hope you're feeling okay.

I think I'd have gotten up and made Garth think he was gonna die!! That kind of bahavior is very dangerous.

jumpin - "magic shoe" [ROTFL] [ROTFL] I would have paid to see that too!!

Glad you're okay, Sakura18!! Scary encounter. I'm sure he'll be more respectful after a refresher course in manners.

That magic shoe trick is awesome, jumpin! Maybe that could be your gimmick! Yeah, you could sell horse training DVDs! I can see it now...

"Is your carrot stick not working any more? Need something with a little more kick in it? Try our patented new butt cheek attitude adjuster, yes, the "Magic Shoe" for all your training issues! For extra difficult horses, try our "Magic Shoe with self-adhesive" to keep 'em running for awhile."

I could've used one of those. I was knocked down by a 2 year old Arabian stud the owner NEVER handled. In fact, the brat had whooped two different trainers and the owner didn't know what to do. I did. The little punk knocked me down and I got up madder than a hornet! As I got up and he moved towards me again, well, I kicked him HARD in the chest and chased him through the pasture yelling at him. He ran with his tail tucked and his head high rolling the whites of his eyes at me. I stopped to catch my breath and he turned around and made silly baby faces at me. After that, I had to be the one to hold him for the vet and the farrier. He'd act like an idiot with everyone until I walked up and quietly told him to "knock it off". Then, he was like "Yes, ma'am". I'm a mean, scary, human. [ROTFL]

I think the owner finally gelded him. Thank God!

Edited by Little Cow

"Is your carrot stick not working any more? Need something with a little more kick in it? Try our patented new butt cheek attitude adjuster, yes, the "Magic Shoe" for all your training issues! For extra difficult horses, try our "Magic Shoe with self-adhesive" to keep 'em running for awhile."

[ROTFL] "Magic shoe" with self-adhesive for the extra difficult horses!

the new "BCAA" (butt cheek attitude adjuster) [ROTFL] im off to the patent office! [ROTFL]

Edited by jumpin_horses