Nikki Livermore

Feeding The Hard Keeper

Rice bran! Mixed with their feed every day, really helps keep the weight on. I just discovered it, and it's very inexpensive too, I got a 50 pound bag for $10 and you only do about 1/4-1/3 rice bran and the rest feed. Try it! :happy0203:

The article isn't showing up :( I think I want to try the rice bran. I have heard of beet pulp and corn oil. Honestly I don't like giving corn to any of my animals other than cows. And beet pulp is extremely genetically modified. I think I would have better luck with finding a non-gmo rice bran. Thanks for that input, and if the article can be re-posted I would really like to read it!

I have a TB mare that is really hard to keep weight on. I know others that have used Rice Bran to keep weight on their Quarter horses and Appendix, I have even used it in the past, but with this particular mare it tends to make her a bit hot. I don't use beet pulp either because it actually has very little nutritional value (Other than providing fiber). It has very little fat and is more or less a filler... Corn oil can be hard for them to digest, however vegetable oil (soybean oil) works the same way and is much easier on the digestive system. I am also a huge fan of dehydrated alfalfa pellets, they have a bit more fat, protein,fiber, not to mention they help maintain a nice shiny coat!

My mare will be going on 30 before long and is a VERY HARD keeper. Can barely keep weight on her for nothing, but since swiching feed from sweet feed to safe and sound she has gained about 50 pounds.

I like to use Strategy Health Edge, I combine it with a protien tub (200lbs for $68) Free feed grass or CRP hay with multiple small feedings of Alf through out the day. Winters are can be fairly hard here so I blanket the old guy, In the summer I have good pasture but still feed a small amount of both the Strategy and hay.