Nikki Livermore

Stinky Feet!

yea, very good article, except one thing

Thrush Buster by Mustad, Kopertox by Fort Dodge not only kill bad tissue, but, kill good tissue too. resulting in MORE "bacteria food"

IMO, these 2 products are about the worse you can use for thrush

IMO, if you horse has thrush bad enough to warrant these products its best to use something like "clean trax, or white lightening" instead. or you can mix your own by ordering Clorpactin WCS-90 from your local pharmacy and mixing it yourself. there are directions for that if you search the "hoof forum"

and most likely you will only need one treatment (its that good), or 2 for the "worse case scenario".

Ive successfully treated REALLY bad cases of thrush and/or WLD with the clorpactin / clean trax (which is essentially the same as clean trax, but, less $$) and even the worse case ive ever seen, only needed 2 treatments and the disease was GONE.

[smiley Wavey]

Edited by jumpin_horses

Jumpin' you got a link for that? I would like to see those studies that prove your claim.

Thrush Buster is Gentian Violet and some other addatives. Gentian Violet is a very old remedy and doesn't harm good tissue at all. As a matter of fact; if you have ever heard of the "Purple Pinky Project" you would know it's not harmful. Kids donate a buck and get a purple pinky on purple pinky day. The buck goes to getting kids immunized. The purple pinky is had by dipping their finger in Gentian Violet.

Gentian Violet. or "The Gentian" as the Jamaican Islanders call it is fantastic for preventing proud flesh. It's been in my medicine cabinet all my life. It wasn't approved for humans in this country for as long as in Europe, ( We got it from the vet) but in other countries it has been approved forever.

Clean Trax is an expensive way to solve a simple problem. Keeping the foot dry and killing the existing trush is all it takes to get rid of thrush. You don't need Clean Trax. Same for white line. One day of iodine and the next with bleach and I have cured white line and grown it out sucessfully. That method is not for extremely severe white line that has been neglected and is bleeding, though.

Copper kills bacteria and although I don't like Kopertox and others of the "green" variety for thrush, because it is gummy and I feel it doesn't dry out the thrush well enough, it does work on thrush if the directions are followed.

Nothing will stop thrush from getting into a foot that is wet and dirty. If the thrush is around and the hoof stays wet and dirty the thrush will keep coming back.

you would have to ask my vet. she said she has seen more damage using those products than she has seen success. I think there was something written at MSU. google it for yourself. I do MY footwork, you can do yours

the clorpactin WCS-90 is $8 per treatment.. how is THAT more expensive than the other?

Hey, Jumpin'

You made the statement. If you don't want to back it up with fact, that's ok. I can ignore it as I do all statements of opinion not backed up by research.

ETA: A whole bottle of Thrush buster is only 14 or 15 bucks and lasts for many, many treatments. I have a bottle that's two years old right now. Used it two or three times on my Percheron. Cleared her right up in that many days.

Edited by manesntails

lasts for many, many treatments.

this should tell you its NOT working for a permanent solution

you keep making your "bacteria food" and keep using your TB to your hearts delite. its all up to you.

ETA - Im at work and dont have time to do YOUR footwork on this matter. and I dont think my boss wants to pay me to research the papers Ive found in the... oh, past 4 years ive been trimming professionally...

Edited by jumpin_horses

this should tell you its NOT working for a permanent solution

you keep making your "bacteria food" and keep using your TB to your hearts delite. its all up to you.

ETA - Im at work and dont have time to do YOUR footwork on this matter. and I dont think my boss wants to pay me to research the papers Ive found in the... oh, past 4 years ive been trimming professionally...

Do what you want Jumpin'

But it isn't MY footwork, *I* didn't make the statement, YOU did.

Good, nice to year you are just starting out as a farrier. Keep up the good work.

Do what you want Jumpin'

But it isn't MY footwork, *I* didn't make the statement, YOU did.

Good, nice to year you are just starting out as a farrier. Keep up the good work.

whats wrong with you today? did you also happen to notice that in my original post I wrote "IMO" .... SO..... **********!

im currently researching registry keys for some software im developing, quit stalking me, get a life

and it IS YOUR footwork, if you really want to know, RESEARCH IT YOURSELF!.. if not, just keep doing what you do. I dont give a cr@p! GAWD!

Edited by Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

whats wrong with you today? did you also happen to notice that in my original post I wrote "IMO" .... SO..... **********!

im currently researching registry keys for some software im developing, quit stalking me, get a life

and it IS YOUR footwork, if you really want to know, RESEARCH IT YOURSELF!.. if not, just keep doing what you do. I dont give a cr@p! GAWD!

Jumpin, I hate to say it but poor form. If you say something you really should back it up. A better thing to do would have been waiting until you got home maybe and looked it up? No need for such language (whether it's abbrevated or not).

As for thrush products. Gentian Violet is a known carcinogen, so it can burn tissue, but it takes a LOT to do that. I think the product in Thrush Buster that is most to watch out for is the isopropanel formalin, which is pretty much Formaldehyde and is more the active ingrediant than the Gentian Violet is. In such small quantaties as these it really isn't that much of a problem, they are like bleach for example. Kind of like how people use Durasole (with formalin) to toughen soles. It's there, but not consintraited to really do anything.

Hmm. We use Thrushbuster around here in the spring. One treatment, per hoof. Not a lot I can do about keeping hooves dry & clean in 20* weather, then rain & muck for the thaw months. But apply some purple stuff, laugh at the kid who tries to be helpful & ends up with purple hands for a week, no biggie, except when he gets too purple happy & my mare's white sock has pretty purple strips.

But, it hasn't harmed him YET. & since when he was a baby, & we developed thrush in his mouth & on my uh, tried to type the proper word, but not getting a correct spelling, doc gave us the gentian Violet stuff. Yep, Purple Bewb, purple mouthed infant... fun fun.

IMO no two horses are the same nor are any two locations. What works for one may not work for some one else.

Now as for the claim of some thing being caustic and killing the living tissue, many things that I have read on here to use are just as caustic to some horses. Take vinegar I can not get it any where near my mare. I thought hey its natural and cheap I'd give it a try. No matter how much i water it down it will eat not only her feet up but actuallu blister her any where it touches her skin. I should not have been surprised because I do know that it is an acid, but no one ever thinks of it doing that kind of thing.

Instead of arguing until we are blue in the face or till we all drop dead, we all should just be glad there are things out there that we can use to treat/kill thrush.

We should also be happy when some one finds what works for their horse and their location and situation not beating any one up because they dont use they same thing you do.

I have used Thrush Buster. It was recommended to me by my farrier. Now I've been lucky not to have had to use it much. Cheyenne only had a slight case of it 2 times. Got it cleared up. I bought a bucket and a brush and was prepared to soak her hooves and clean them with the brush. But my farrier fixed her right up for me.

I'm not familiar with lots of products. Glad to say we've been lucky.

Ask the farrier and the vet if your treatment is appropriate and if your horse's feet seem to be negatively affected by whatever you are treating their feet with. If the answer is "no", then it's right for your horse. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

LC, hubby IS my Farrier, when I met him, I had been fighting thrush on my mare for months... with Koppertox. He handed me a bottle of Thrush Buster out of his truck, & she cleared right up. Love it.

I got a thought....just a thought to ponder... [Question]

I remember one of the things I learned as a vet tech ages ago was in a dog's ears....they have infections...and within those infections are 'levels' of the infection, or different types, or even same types (yeast) but different "forms" of it.

I remember having to stain slides and look in microscope to try to pin down which is which and who is who.

Then the vet had a better idea of which medicine to prescribe and how much and how often.

And sometimes...a chronic or "hardcore" case would just abruptly stop being affected by the medicine even though it was a correct one. Or something popped up later that may not have made it to the microscope, a sneaky undercover problem and dog still suffers, we go back and look and there it is.

Doctor would explain that history of numerous antibiotic usage prior or during, type of dog, age of dog, etc. Even the way the ears are shaped has an affect on outcome. Or, the bacteria just MORPHS...becoming resistant to tx.

Well..... ( here comes my brilliant (ahem) thoughts...)

Maybe, since the hoof is an infection, bacteria, fungus bed...like an ear on a dog is...that this may be why so many different treatments are available. Maybe that is why one thing works one day but something totally different does another...or on a different horse. Maybe the horse has had sooo much penicillin shots in past (previous owner history?) that we chase it b/c the horse is a bit resistant...or we chase the wrong fungus type within...etc. Maybe there is more than one infection there but we can't see it or missed it.

Thrush is tough, it is expensive and time-consuming and I think anything that works should be put on a sheet of paper and when thrush comes by...I should go down the list until I KILL it.

I want alot of things to hang my hat on when it comes to my horses feet...and I am not going to stand firmly on one thing...and cripple them b/c I think I am right.

I need everyone's solutions they tried and worked on anything that involves my horse's health and welfare..... [Huggy]

School is always in session...

My opinion....for what it is worth.... :confused0024: