Sign in to follow this  
Navajo51505

Critique My Barrel Run Please :)

I would like you guys to critique my mare. I think she has 1d potential with some more work. She is fast, quick and really seems to love it. I know I have some riding no-nos going on with my attire but please just critique her and the way I am riding her and not my clothing. Thanks

She is a 9 year old arabian mare, about 14.3-15hh. I am riding her in a combo bit, its just a smooth snaffle with a rope nose. She seems to like it.

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and we are working on that shoulder dropping on the second barrel, but more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

To me the ground looks really bad to be running in. That's probably why he's not getting under himself. But over all it looks pretty good.

I hrdly know anything about barrel racing, I quit.

But did you know that when a horse drops a shoulder, it is most often a late foot? So with experience , your horse should learn to pick that darn shoulder up and get her strides right.

Too fix that "dropping her shoulder" dilemma, switch to split reins (for training only). Take the inside rein for whichever way she is going..pick it straight up, almost like you are holding a sword..and push your inside leg over..get her to move away from dropping in. Do this at a walk, then a trot, and if she does it at a lope by then, only correct her..bump the inside rein up and push your leg on her to get her to move away.

I agree that she isn't getting her herself like I'd like to see, but my gelding wont do it on bad ground either. I would also do more slow work and make her finish her turns more before leaving the barrel. In slow work, just overexaggerate finishing the turns. If she does this in competition with more speed, she will probably end up blowing out wide on the backside of the barrel.

I think that you need to push with your inside leg and make her swing her rear end around the barrel it helps to kneel from tripping, making to bigot a gap, and let you turn faster but what do i know i am only 11 and have been barrel racing for 5 years. O ya not to be mean or anything but if you want to impress us let your horse go you hold her back and don't let her show us what she's made of. I think she has great potential if you keep working her.  

She looks good should make a good play day or 4H horse but a 1D I dont know, have u tried her on the poles she looks like she could smoke them or the stakes! At the least I think shes going to be a good starter for you to learn on. :happy0203:

She looks really really great !!! :notworthy: (plus she's adorable - lovin' the sport boots!)

I don't know how long you've been running her, but when you're ready I would really push her on the home stretch and in other parts, she looks like she's barely trying in some parts! (like between barrels) She looks like she could be super fast if you push her though! :happy0203: I envy her!

Edited by Spectacular Frost