Sign in to follow this  
Blueribbonhorse97

Morgan Tail Help

I recently bought a morgan and I want to bag his tail. It goes to his ankles but it's fairly thin, so I am concerned that it is not thick enough to support the weight of a lycra three tube tail bag. Does anyone know how to bag tails using cheesecloth? I want something lightweight so I don't have any breakage.

Thanks!

i dont use tailbags. what we do is take and old sheet and rip strips out of it. take three strips and braid them into the 3 separate sections of the tail starting at the top of the braid. This way stays in alot better then a bag, doesnt stress the tail, covers the tail, and you dont freak when u lose one once a week (therefore being alot cheaper)

yae morgans!!!

what my barn does is this.

1. we wash the tail to make sure its all clean before we put it up.

2. blow dry the tail till its TOTALLY dry

3. braid, starting at the end of the tail bone, to the end of the tail.

4. wrap tail around itself, like you would do up a western cinch more or less

5. wrap it with vetwrap.

it works for us!!

both my kids have tails past the ground and I make mine out of an 'ol cotton sock(like the ol pros do) Cotton is a must and dad's 'ol black socks are the best (the to the knee dress kind) I just clip the elastic band at the top in 4 sections,and cut off the foot even and sew it up and sew some steamers at the end for the flys, and they both where them 24/7 I wash the top part,daily so there not itchy, but other than that I don't take them down and never brush them they stay braided and inside. and since its cotton it breaths .I hate those nylon baggy things as they get caught on stuff and nylon doesn't breath. these fit tight against the braid and keep it clean w/ out the heavy weight of a socky -thing hanging these are pretty form fitting! the trick to keeping a long tail is not to brush them much. So I don't need to cause there up and covered and wonderful! see!!