Sign in to follow this  
MissMotherNature

Anyone Ever Have Another Mare Nurse A Baby?

I weaned my filly and put her in with another nursing mare and her foal(3 months old). The weaning went great, minimal calling. I started noticing the other mare dropping weight fast. I was out feeding horses in another pasture and saw the mare with a foal on each teat. Dang mare was letting the other filly nurse!

I separated the filly and "weaning" this time was much more difficult.

Before I had noticed the nursing I had put in two other weanlings with her thinking since she had been great with the other mares baby since birth she would be fine with the others...NO she didn't want the new babies anywhere near "her" foals. She was very protective and would run them off. So I guess it is not a case of she will nurse any others. I guess it is because she was with this filly and her dam since it was around 1 week old???

Just wondering if anyone had a mare do this before?

When I weaned my filly, I moved her to a friends property to grow up on pasture with other babies. At the same time, another mare and colt were being weaned at the barn my mare was at. They moved the mare but left the colt in the paddock with my mare. She allowed him to nurse. It was annoying because it made her drop weight like your mare. Finally the baby was sold so the situation resolved. It was kind of funny though, I joke at how my mare raised two babies in one year.

Lol yep this mare is a sucker too....She was a rescue mare that is already a bit of a difficult one to get to gain weight so when she started loosing it stated bring up questions because she has been maintaing well even though she is nursing. Her colt is still on her because she is doing well with just him and she is not back in foal. The fillys dam is back in foal is why I weaned her. She started dropping so I pulled her as with her being in foal I don't want her losing anything.

I just found it strange she was protecting, mothering, and nursing another mares foal. I have never had one do that before.

MMN