mustangsally

Gotta Find A New Senior Feed

What are some good senior feeds that are available? I'm using this right now, but my dealer is going to quit selling it so I need to find something else. Suggestions?

I used to use Purina Equine Senior. It was a good feed, pelleted, easily digestible. However, this analysis says protein is 14% but the bags say 18%. It made my horse a little spunky, but nothing that couldn't be controlled.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/equi...D2-0032702.aspx

Edited because I forgot the link :)

Edited by jumps_n_barrels907

Ditto on Triple Crown Feed. I LOVE their senior feed. I feed it to my senior during the winter, and feed it to hubby's not so easy keeper, and they do great on it. I use their Lite feed for my easy keeper and minis.

I've been using the Nutrena Sr. My old Belgian mare likes it and she can be rather picky. I've also used ADM's Patriot brand Sr. but I don't like it as well as the Nutrena. Its mostly alfalfa and doesn't seem to be as palatable as the Nutrena. TSC's Dumor brand is ok too.

I'm a walking, talking advertisement for Triple Crown feeds. My horses have never been better!

Chip, my 23 year old QH eats Triple Crown Senior, pic is just a few weeks ago:

100_0499.jpg

Wow! There are a lot of great feeds out there!! Since there are so many votes for the Triplecrown feeds, I looked them up but there isn't a dealer in my area. :-(

Nutrena life design all the way! The ingredients are top notch, and they make it with no molasses! I feed it to all mine, young and old.

Bummer about the TC. That would be my recommendation as well. There are some good others that have been mentioned. I'm just most familiar with the TC myself.

shoot, I was going to recommend TC too. My 35 year old mare is on TC senior and doesn't have a rib,or butt bone showing. I've tried many feeds, this one I was able to feed less with the same results. Another I've had good luck with is Buckeye. When we moved, I couldn't find a provider, so I switched.

I took my horse in for a follow-up vet visit this morning and asked him what I should put him on. He actually suggested Purina or Nutrena Equine Senior. That's the most accessible in my area, so that's what I'll go with. I really wanted to try the Triple Crown Feeds, but live in the middle of nowhere. :-)

I'm not a fan of Purina feed for horses at all. I would go with the Nutrena or Kent. I personally use Kent Senior feed for the 40 year old mare boarded at my farm.

I've found a senior feed without molasses that crumbles really easily for my toothless 25 y/o mare. She gets very little, 2 scoops(aprox 6 pounds) with 2 scoops(aprox 2 pounds presoak) beet pulp morning and night with dry pasture. Perfect weight, bloom, energy level. This stuff comes either in sack or I buy in a 250 pound barrel. I luffs it very much so. Unfortunately it's only sold in California and Northern Nevada.

http://elkgrovemilling.com/elk_grove_milling_products.html