KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat #29

After 19 pages and over 500 posts, I agree with Boo that it is time for a new chat thread!

The last few posts:

Whew - had to rescue this thread from the bottom of the page!

Im in New Mexico (about 2 hrs west/northwest of Lubbock Tx) to visit with my brother and his family. I finally can agree that there is a difference between humid 100 degrees and dry 100 degrees.

Havent done much riding lately... got on last Monday and just walked around. Im hurting too much to do more than that. Dont know if I posted but I moved my surgery to Sept 1 instead of Sept 24 due to basically constant pain.

Ponies are doing good. Ive been lungeing Rex like 2-3 times a week (again even just standing hurts sometimes) and he caught on to what WHOA means after about 5 mins. Figuring out about forward though he still tries the typical "turn and stop" to not work though hes understanding that isnt an option. Doesnt pull on the lunge or anything and is pretty much 90% on vocal commands.

Layla is just hanging out and chilling. We had that lesson on July 23 and Ive ridden one time after that, excluding the walking last week.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I think school is starting up for a few of you and its probably getting more bareable to ride up north.

Getting ready to head to the "Rib Shack" for some New Mexico BBQ..... MmMmmmMmmmmm

Ha Krazy, probably should start a new chit chat thread, shouldn't we? This one is up over 500 posts!

We went to Port Aransas and hung out on the beach and went on a deep sea fishing tour. Nobody on our boat caught much except a 6' reef shark! Took the guy 45 min. to reel him in and that was with everyone bringing our lines in and the boat had to get moving!!! Port A is a lovely little island with the best shopping and restaurants and fun beach. We love going there.

Been riding Beau and taking lessons. He is doing awesome w/ 2nd level. Someone is coming to try him on Wed. Had a friend ride him the other day that had to sell her horse. She is a lovely rider and had a blast on him.

Going back to work on Mon. Blah, yuck! Wish I could just retire!

That's about all for now. Hope you are all staying cool! It's blistering hot here.

KYM-Mmmmm ribs. We used to have this awesome rib place that would smoke the ribs and use a dry rub. Very tastey. However folks around here want grilled with a good sauce. So it ended up closing. I hope the next couple of weeks go quickly for you.I am sure it is not fun being in pain all the time.

Boocoo-Sounds like a nice trip.

I haven't posted for fear of jinxing myself. Usually I will post about having some good rides then bam I get a ride from he11. Well hubby is asking to ride today and I have a lesson Wed so I think it should be ok to jinx myself. New trainer is great so far.Cheese is going real good.Trainer has me working on using seat more and lighten the leg aides a bit. Which Cheese seems to appreciate. Had a jump lesson the other week. Trainer kept things small and easy. Lot of gymnastic stuff. Cheese only lasted about a half an hour. She is really out of shape when it comes to jumping.The walk work afterwards was awesome(after we got past the little bit of jigging.) I am not sure it was because she warmed up more,tired out more, or more focused because of the jumping. I need to figure out what it is because she was so nice.

Work is crazy with inventory around the corner. They added more truck nights to try to lessen the freight. Not happening. It just gave the warehouse more dats to dump on us. To top things off everyone is overworked and stressed out and the managers are blind to theis fact. On the plus side because of the new truck schedule I now have off during the weekend.

Lucy has been out of work for a couple months now due to the heat, but she's sweating again at least. Of course we also have a ton of stuff to get done around here, with replacing all the deck railing that couple have been put up by a kindergartener.

And Mir has discovered the stretchy trot, but the canter has gotten worse. I got one of my saddles to fit him with some shimming under the panels. The de gouge has done a ton of good with the trotting. But the canter... I finally put him on the lunge and got him cantering, and he just cannot figure out how to canter without galloping. when he does it's nice, but he just cannot get it. He was bad on the lunge too, so at least I know it's HIM. I've not lunged him at the canter much because historically he just gallops off, rips the line out of my hands, and then takes off like an idiot and breaks things.

I uploaded pics from my trip to New Mexico on FB... Im going to try to link. I am open to public on my pics I think so it should work..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067...p;id=1449009522

csa, so happy to hear you and Cheese are doing well and you are improving with your new trainer! Hope work calms down for you!

Emily, that stinks about Mir's canter but if you are getting a good trot, then focus on the trot, and you can develop "the canter" from within the trot. Give it some time and see what happens. Hopefully he will figure it out.

Boo, good luck with this woman coming to see Beau. Enjoy work starting back up (ew I know)

Well Im all ready for work tomorrow. Thankfully I didnt get too sick on the return flights. The first plane was a prop plane and we only flew at 15,000 ft so they didnt have to pressurize the cabin and tada - no sickness. But there was a LOT of turbulence so we stopped for a few drinks at the Chilis bar before the Dallas to Jax flight. There was still turbulence even on the BIG jet and it was def pressurized at 35,000 ft but I didnt get too sick.. a slight headache and a little nausous. Alcohol seemed to help.

Time to crawl into MY bed with MY pillow and wake up to MY alarm (no offense I love my nephews but geezus, I dont have kids for a reason. Reason #36 - sleeping in and quiet in the morning)

His canter issue isn't that it's not a good canter, he just gets naughty in it. Bucking, leaping, refusing to go forward, then bolting off. So I'm going to do the canter on the lunge only for a while, and just ride in the trot. It would help if I had nice LONG straight lines to canter, but the only place I can do that is in the neighbor's driveway, which is a bit of a scary idea. Luckily my friend who has started a lot of babies is coming this week, so she can help me out some.

Boo, hopefully the lady likes Beau. I still think it sucks that you have to sell him.

Shantel, that's good that you didn't get sick on the plane. I hate flying. I always end up with a killer headache, and then I usually have a seizure in the couple days following flying.

I'm going to try and keep up. I'm so sorry your not feeling well KTM. Hope the surgery takes care of it all. I feel bad quite often just with muscle pain of no apparent cause and chronic pain, so hurting just sucks. I've got to go try and do some yoga in a bit to try and beat some of this back this afternoon.

Boo, I'm so sorry to hear about selling Beau. That's hard. Hugs.

Shiloh, yes cantering on the driveway--scary!!!

My guy, Rubin, is back in work after his summer break. He's 5 now and working great. He's quite lovely--got to figure out how to post pictures, although he's already so different from the ones I have from May. I was going to try and finish qualifying him, but have instead decided to go ahead and move him along. He's working so well that I'd rather go ahead and start his changes. He smart and likes to work. I didn't quite get to do othe 5 year old class--he banged his leg before the last show, so that was a bummer, but I'm thrilled with how the trot and canter have developed, especially after his break. They feel like they are getting where I really want them. I'm going down to work with my trainer next week, so we'll see what he thinks. Can't wait to see how everyone else is.

Shiloh, yes cantering on the driveway--scary!!!

It is at least a grass driveway, fenced on both sides, but the ends are wide opened, and it's not that far to a busy road, and right at a blind curve! With Lucy, sure. Mr. Kashmir, not so much!

I put shoes back on Lucy today. It only took me 2 hours. Granted I was taking my time, and Lucy was being a giant pain with refusing to hold up her hoof so I could drive the nails in, but it was HOT and 2 hours spent mostly bent over is a lot.

But man she looks nice shod! She looks like she's built uphill.

His canter issue isn't that it's not a good canter, he just gets naughty in it. Bucking, leaping, refusing to go forward, then bolting off. So I'm going to do the canter on the lunge only for a while, and just ride in the trot.

Often yes the horse feels unbalanced and will buck out of fear of falling, which smallish circles may produce. But more often than not it's getting conflicting signals that causes it. At least to begin with. Or possibly both.

If your horse has no issue cantering nicely and well balanced on longe on command, and making transitions quietly then it's the rider. ;)

My mare also was doing this, and it was all me. I would hold the canter request position too long and would tense in my hands preventing her from being able to stretch into the canter, effectively telling her go-whoa, and she bucked and bucked. I went back to no canter, worked her in canter only on longe and then worked on me on longe too. When she offered canter again I just sat quietly and rode it. And that's where we still are. If I ask I still tend to tense because I am expecting the bucking, I can't seem to get past that yet. But am working on it. We are fine on longe, I have the handler ask her to canter, I just work on sitting quietly enjoying it.

Yup takes time but can be worked through. Best to you.

shiloh-I don't blame you for not wanting to canter the driveway.Scary!

PMJ-Summer break? Was it to hot?It is just so weird to hear. Summer is busy season here.

I had a fantastic lesson today. It didn't start out to good. Cheese was a bit full of herself. It took a half hour of warm up before the lesson to get her relaxed. Trainer pulls up and BO dogs go nuts.Gets Cheese all hyped up again. Takes her aroubd another 10 min. to chill. Started out on a circle took Cheese down the long side. Went down the quater line and leg yeil to the outside. Well we hit the fenceline and Cheese spooked back to the quater line because of a barrel.Barrel was not new she knew it was there. Plus it is not like she didn't run barrels for 13 years. It was I have to much energy so I am going to spook. Well trainer decided to put Cheese to work. Focused on using hands for just asking for a bend and everything else with seat. Had a couple hissy fits but Cheese was really nice by the end. Trainer had me focus on not collappsing my shoulders and keeping hands in front. I think I am finally getting the hang of keeping hands up in front.So much easier to keep the mare's shoulder up when she is trying to get out of work. I couldn't ride a circle to save my life today. It was all eggs. Still a really good lesson.

Often yes the horse feels unbalanced and will buck out of fear of falling, which smallish circles may produce. But more often than not it's getting conflicting signals that causes it. At least to begin with. Or possibly both.

If your horse has no issue cantering nicely and well balanced on longe on command, and making transitions quietly then it's the rider. ;)

My mare also was doing this, and it was all me. I would hold the canter request position too long and would tense in my hands preventing her from being able to stretch into the canter, effectively telling her go-whoa, and she bucked and bucked. I went back to no canter, worked her in canter only on longe and then worked on me on longe too. When she offered canter again I just sat quietly and rode it. And that's where we still are. If I ask I still tend to tense because I am expecting the bucking, I can't seem to get past that yet. But am working on it. We are fine on longe, I have the handler ask her to canter, I just work on sitting quietly enjoying it.

Yup takes time but can be worked through. Best to you.

In a lot of cases, you are right, but shiloh also posted about his issues on the lunge as well.

But the canter... I finally put him on the lunge and got him cantering, and he just cannot figure out how to canter without galloping. when he does it's nice, but he just cannot get it. He was bad on the lunge too, so at least I know it's HIM. I've not lunged him at the canter much because historically he just gallops off, rips the line out of my hands, and then takes off like an idiot and breaks things

Thank you for pointing that out, it's an important point! and one I obviously missed.

If the horse is not capable (yet) of cantering on longe, he isn't ready. The galloping off is a part of the telling that he isn't physically ready (or possibly mentally as well).

If it were a horse I was working with, I would stay working on longe in trot mostly, making sure the horse is going on a large circle (30m), and using it's body/back correctly while being perfectly balanced. Longe is quite an art. Loads of transitions halt-walk-trot. IF/WHEN the horse then offers canter, and he will quite often as the trot work becomes challenging (when beginning to work correctly) as a release from the difficulty I allow the canter a few strides and then ask for transition back to trot. When on a large enough circle (you can also walk with the horse on the circle and make the circle much larger if required) the horse WILL ask to canter, or opposite just slow to walk. I always allow what they need, but then bring them make to the task at hand.

Once they have enough strength of muscle and carry power, and are balanced and feeling ready, then when they offer canter I allow and ask for a bit more. It is normal for the horse to rush!! This would be the galloping off, the breaking free part is from his fear of being too off balance in his own rushing. They need to rush somewhat to find that balance that they need, so it has to be allowed. This includes under saddle. Same thing can happen initially in trot work too. The key to look for is the horse's balance. If the horse cross canters he is not balanced or strong enough to do any canter, go back to trot work for a while and start over. Baby steps and loads of patience. Mostly it's the longer's job to help the horse balance in the work at all times, just as under saddle.

Again, best of luck!!

This guy was cantering nicely until the past couple months. We had some saddle fit issues, which have been fixed, so at this point he's just doing it because he wants to or thinks he can use it to get out of work. He's in the terrible 4's. He knows it intimidates me, and even though it's never gotten him out of work entirely, it usually does result in a downward transition so I can regroup.

I do have a friend who has started tons and tons of dressage horses who is coming to visit this week, so we will get him figured out. She's told me that this is quite normal for young horses to be cantering OK and then when the work gets a bit more like work and less like fun, they get resistant. Mir resists by bucking, as did his sister. Some resist by coming to a screeching halt, some resist by refusing to canter at all. But there is nothing WRONG with him, or with how he's being trained or ridden or lunged. He's just a young horse who is now being asked to do something aside from just go around as he pleases, and he says he would rather hang out and eat grass.

He was quite a bit better the secodn day of lunging, not so much tearing off like his tail was on fire (which he thinks is FUN, and he was clearly enjoying himself while doing it). Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to work with him again since Sunday.

Mr Boo, my brothers cat, is not doing well. He went to the vet today and probably has cancer and he is basically dying. He went 3 weeks ago and things were ok. But in 3 weeks hes lost over 2lbs.

He has been the one thing my mother clung to when Chris was killed. And now she is having to make the decision of when to put him to sleep.

It kills me to think of Mr Boo leaving though I know its the best thing. But it kills me even more to see my mom hurting like this....

This guy was cantering nicely until the past couple months. We had some saddle fit issues, which have been fixed, so at this point he's just doing it because he wants to or thinks he can use it to get out of work. He's in the terrible 4's. He knows it intimidates me, and even though it's never gotten him out of work entirely, it usually does result in a downward transition so I can regroup.

[trimmed] Some resist by coming to a screeching halt, some resist by refusing to canter at all. But there is nothing WRONG with him, or with how he's being trained or ridden or lunged. He's just a young horse who is now being asked to do something aside from just go around as he pleases, and he says he would rather hang out and eat grass.

This is common actually to have the saddle cause pain which in turn causes bucking, or other more violent reactions, especially in canter since the use of shoulder is more pronounced with complete saddle movement on the back within the stride. An ill fitting saddle will hurt in canter more than any other time. (Also a saddle that is too long for the back will cause bucking.)

And then there are philosophies of training. My personal choice is not to ask for work in canter until age 5 almost 6, when the mental and physical readiness is there. (depending on the physical development of the horse) Their bodies are usually not ready for sustained hard work at such a young age. :smilie: And to me any horse that begins to exhibit such violent 'resistance' is getting pretty desperate to get his message across. Just me though.

I am sure all will be well and you will get him sorted out and on the road to great work!! Have fun.

He's not being asked to WORK in the canter. He's simply being asked to pick up a specific lead.

And I agree that saddle fit issues can cause bucking, etc. That has been taken care of. He's not trying to dump my butt. He's doing it on the lunge.

Given that you don't know me, nor my riding ability, northe horse, nor my history with this horse, I'm not sure what else you really want from me. I was sharing that he's been bucking in the canter, and that it's a work in progress, and that I do have VERY experienced help. Help who is starting young horses for some TOP riders, and getting a lot of good comments about how soft and lovely and through those horses are. I am thinking I am much more inclined to listen to her, who knows me and can SEE the horse, than some random stranger on a BB.

Sorry to hear about your cat Krazy.

Well just finished my first week back at work. I am exhausted. The first couple of weeks always drain me.

The lady wasn't able to come the other day. However, my friend that rode him last weekend, is coming again to ride him and may be interested in leasing him for a while. That would be cool, maybe she could eventually buy him. She is a very nice rider and they clicked. And that would allow me to still have him around.

It's always hard to sell a horse, no doubt, especially one like Beau that I have put so much time and energy and effort into. But I really will not have time for two horses once I am riding Bobby and I will of course be very selective on Beau's new home. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a lesson tomorrow and may show him at the Sept. schooling show as our 2nd level debut if my friend is not leasing him by then. If I don't show him, she will.

KTM-Hugs. You did what was right for Boo. My sister has my mom's cat. He has lost a lot of weight recently. He is is 16 and I think it may be his time. However she can not bring herself to have him put down.

shiloh-I hope you have better luck then my BO did. They have a stud they were startuing to train. Saddle was not quite right for him and he bucked at the lope. Well he started bucking in aticipation of the pain whenever he loped. It has taken them a year to get one ride in without him bucking. So hopefully Mr. Mir gets sorted out quicker than that.

Boocoo-That would be great if your friend leased Beau.I hear you on work. We have invebtory in less than a week. Managers are all uptight. It is worse than Black Friday.

Had a ggod ride on Cheese. Man that mare gets distracted easily when she is coming n season.Going to go hang out with some barrel racing friends tonight. A friend is loaning me her stud to ride. He used to be my hunter/equitation mount. I miss riding him.

My friend is gone :(

But she did help me a ton with Lucy, and said that she totally has the ability to do third with some more strength, and with me working more on being even. And she has said I did a great job with Mir, to just keep working on riding him forward and even, and the canter will come. The forward is tough for poor little lazy pony.

But we did go trail riding today, and I let him follow Lucy into a canter, no bucking, and he even was willing to canter past her. He was a very good boy.

So I have a whole list of exercises, and we are hoping to plan another visit in 3 to 6 months or so. I also told her that if I get Lucy ready to show 3rd, that she's coming to actually show her.

KTM, I'm so sorry about the kitty--I love my guys so much, so I know how much that hurts!!

Boo, that would be so great if your friend could lease him and then eventually buy. It is so hard to ride two at the same time. I know I'll never do it again.

Cheese, Rubin got a long vacation since he's still a young horse. He turned 5 in June. He's worked well over the past year and while he's had small breaks of 10 days here and there, he just needed time to veg out and be a baby. He is back at work and feels super. It's just a philosophy. He's got his entire life to work, so giving a break like that, especially when it is so hot, doesn't hurt. I did do some hacking with him when he acted too bored.

I've seen youngsters do that Shiloh. They can grow and get awkward then balance out again. Glad you and your friend got it sorted though.

Yeah, after she rode him and said I had done a very nice job with him, I did feel a lot better about how he's coming along. And I don't think it's that unusual for a youngster to start evading when work has gone from just trot and steer and stop to actually asking for something a little more. But he's actually come so far just in a couple rides. He was a lot better even before she rode him the first time, and then that much better after she rode him twice.

They are animals, not machines, and they do sometimes have opinions. And just because you're working them pretty correctly doesn't mean they always find it fun. Most of the time, they would rather be standing around eating grass. Even the ones with the best work ethics.

I agree with you totally PMJ about the vacations for the young horses. When I had the "babies" (a trio of 4 year olds) I'd give them a solid week off every few months. I remember particularly one November, Frasier and I had a very good but very mentally tough lesson about something. It was horribly frustrating for me, but we had a break through that day. My trainer told me to give him a vacation after that, where I wanted to keep up our breakthrough! I ended up giving him a week off, and I swear that horse sat in a field, ate grass, and figured it out, haha. I think he leapt ahead in his training, by doing nothing. I'm a big believer now.

Had a good dressage lesson on Ben today. Schooling all the first level movements including leg yields, canter serpentine and lengthen trots. He has simple changes down pat.

Had a jump lesson wednesday, really had a great breakthrough in our lopey hunter jumps, and not my usual gung-ho-I'm-an-eventer-and-love-to-gallop! rides. Jump coach said she'd think he'd make a great hunter ($$$) and will help me put together a video of him.

Oh, and he now has flying changes. Hunter ones, of course, but they are there!

PMJ-That explains things. It is just strange to hear.Around here most horses get winter breaks due to the weather. I prefer to due mini breaks. Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate though.

shiloh-It is always good to hear that you have done a good job froma fellow horseperson that you value their judgement. While I miss working greenies at times. I don't envy you dealing with greenie issues.

KTS-Dilly question. What is a hunter lead change? Sorry I was taught simple and flying lead changes.

The gaming show was fun. The horse I borrowed is a roolback type horse. Great for poles and keyhole not so good for barrels if you are not used to it. Tore up my one obliqur muscle. So I think I have decided to start exercising more and streching. It still hurts two days later. I know it is because I am out of shape.

So since I was still in pain yesterday I decided to keep things simple with Cheese. I focused on getting her to bend to the inside of the ring on the "interesting" side. The covered arena is next to the pastures. The one side that is closest to the pastures has become very interesting since there are no horses out when I ride. Cheese swears there is something there.Just getting her to soften and bend to the inside is a chore.

Vacation in two weeks. I can not wait. Not planning on doing anything except relax and ride.

Hehehe...I don't have an indoor, so my horses get some pretty long breaks in the winter:-) I don't have anymore shows this year, so I haven't done much but trail ride. Beckham loves his breaks and always comes back ready to work!

Both of mine get breaks, and I like to do that regardless of age. Sometimes Lucy needs a couple solid weeks off just to rest (she's getting older now, the body just needs more recovery). And Mir gets time off just because he's young and I refuse to push him. I want him sound at 20 like Lucy is. So he will work a couple days in a row, and then get a couple days off. And his lessons tend to be short, 30 minutes or so. When he does something really well, then he gets to quit.

Summer breaks in the south are not at all uncommon. We can ride all winter, but our summers get HOT, and sometimes the horse and the rider struggle in that heat. Lucy has had 2 months off due to the heat and then the rain.

I used to ride every day. I have found that since I went to every other day, or even two days in between, Beau works much better and retains what I have worked on. I would love to get out and trail ride more, but it is very hard here. You have to haul somewhere to ride and that is not always possible. I only mess w/ Bobby two, maybe three days a week, and they are very short sessions.

Very hot here! Yuck. First week back to work was last week, students are back today! I am going to be beat!

CSA- hunter changes are flatter and more automatic than dressage changes. hunters want it smooth and nearly invisible to not disrupt the flow of the course, while dressage wants big, sitting and pushing changes to show collection, and to have it exactly on the aids. If Ben was to be a upper level dressage horse, I'd say no to the hunter changes, but he's not. That being said, he has excellent counter canter, which is not usual before hunter changes, but is before dressage ones. So far, he's not getting confused at all.

KTS-That makes sense.Thanks.

Boocoo-I fell your pasin somewhat. Inventory is tomorrow. So hopefully most of my crazy work days/weeks are over until the holidays.

Beckham-I have to agree with you. I love trail riding. Provides a nice break from work.

Cheese was a total pig today. We are having cooler weather so that may have something to do with it. The first few days of spring or fall weather have me ready to give up on this horse. Work has been crazy. So I figured a simple trail ride to relax was in order.Warm up for a few min in the ring. Cheese was good. Take Cheese out and things started out ok.

On the way home she decided to be barn sour and act like an idiot. Usually I just ride her forward and collect the trot. Well she was having none of that today. She was either going sideways at a canter or backwards. She just tuned out my legs. I grabbed a dressage whip from the car and worked her tail off at the barn.The covered arena is next to the barn. So it is a great tool for fixing barn sourness. It took awhile but she decided to listen to leg. However she went to other end of the spectrum and reacted to any leg whatsoever. So I schooled her at a walk working on bending and her accepting light contact of the leg. Very nice at the end. I am just tired of having to ride for 45 min to get her focused and get the edge off. Trainer made the comment that Cheese looked like she came off the track a week ago. She has way to much energy right now. It happened last year as well.I know she will be fine in about a week but dang I am getting to old for this stuff.

Oh CSA, don't you love when they go from one extreme to the other like that? Winston used to do that to me...ignore me, then get hyper sensitive:-) Then he would arch his neck and get all tight...you could never win when he got like that!

The weather has been so nice finally! I headed out on the trails myself last night and had to opposite problem; thought I would have to get off and carry him home! They have been turned out so much lately that they just want to sleep and eat.

This quarter is almost over...I will be interning at two different vet clinics in the fall. Over break I will be heading to the Northeast to visit a certain HC member and her big grey horse!!:-)

Just got back from a fantastic lesson.New trainer can deal with Cheese being an idiot. I usually hop on a half hour before the lesson to make sure Cheese is warmed up enough. During the last 5 min. Cheese decided the one corner was scary and spooked. So the rest of the time she swore something was out to get her in the corner. Trainer just laughed it off. I finally got to feel what it is like to have Cheese relaxed between both hands and both LEGS. You could force the issue before but that caused tension. So we had some real nice trot work. Got a couple strides of the canter where Cheese was totally round and foward and on the bit. That felt freakin fantastic. After about two strides Cheese collapsed and decided that was a lot of work. One of the best moments was at the end. Cheese did a trot walk transition with no reins and no head going in the air.Usually as soon as you sink your weight down the head goes up. I think I finally got my hands out of my lap. Trainer had me work a lot with engaging my abs. Feels a bit odd but help to keep my shoulders back.The only problem with the trainer is that she will have to take some time off due to being pregnant. At least she is due around the time I like to give Cheese off during winter.

Off to bed. Three more nights of work than a week of vacation.

Congrats on a great lesson!

Had my surgery yesterday. Left ovary is there but it was tucked up under organs. Small area of endometriosis that was burned off. Sore and throat hurts from the tube but all in all ok. Bad allergic reaction to the pain meds but I knewit was going to happen. But doing ok.

Layla is all out of sorts. Not sure what is up with her. She was spazzy for my last lesson. Rode 3 days later and she was amazing. But then stopped eating. Finally havce her eating (gave her probios and U7 for tummy). Rode her at Jills last Sat and she was awesome. Jill came over and did that energy stuff again that she did last year. Some crazy stuff happened - cant explain it - so hopefully that helped. Did ride Tues and she was going great and then BOOM balked and went sidewas and then got all tense after that. Not sure what her deal is.

Holstic vet is coming today to acupuncture and chiro and see if she can figure out whats going on.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Just got home from auditing the Hubertus Schmidt Symposium--it was so great. Cheese, that is one of the things he was discussing. When you have a horse that is hot and spooking, you don't want to be confrontational about it. One of the Symposium horses tended to get worked up at the more "spooky" end of the arena, so instead of having the rider warm up at that end, he had the rider not warm up down there. Instead, he had the rider warm up where the horse was comfortable, got the horse swinging in its back, working nicely then gradually moved down the arena. As it worked down the arena, it wasn't such a big deal. If the horse looked, he had it bend away from the direction of distraction, never into what it was afraid of.

I loved the way he warmed the horses up. He wanted them swinging in the back and it was fine if the gaits were somewhat flatter than later in the ride because it was about getting that swing in the back and the roundness and flexion in the bend, as the bigger gaits came later on in the ride. Also, it wasn't about warming up forever. It was fine if you only took 5 minutes for your warm-up or as long as you needed. He also recommended frequent breaks (both on contact and off depending on the work) to keep the horse fresh. Later work was about establishing as large a stride (with a nice cadence) as you could with a swinging back without having the horse run or get quicker. He really wanted very even steps. You could see the difference with each horse using itself day by day. He wanted the gait kept through each movement--10 m volte, shoulder-in, half pass,--and each movement was progressive as well. Shoulder in was before half pass, etc, but it was important to really keep the expressive, cadenced gait first and foremost. Several of the horses needed to travel in either slight shoulder fore or shoulder in at the canter, so that was interesting. All in all it was a great clinic.

KTM, feel better!!!