KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat #29

Thanks PMJ. Sounds like a great clinic you went to!

Holstic vet was here last Thursday. Layla was out in her upper neck, lower back, and right SI and also had emotional trouble via pulse being irregular. She was accupunctured for her emotions as well as stomach issues and her lower back. Thankfully she has been eating wonderfully and seems to be in better spirits. I still have her alone in a paddock next to the boys as I still dont trust her not to kick Rex again.

I did give both of them a bath today. Like orvus scrubbing with SSS and conditioner rinse after, deep condition the mane/tail/forelock, clean the privates (which was Rexs 2nd time and first time without someone helping me and he was perfect and I got his bean out!), and put Vetrolin shine in the mane/tail of both for more condition. They both look amazing and ahhh the manes and tails are just lovely. Probably a little much for me to be doing post surgery but alas it is done. Ive also been straightening up my room and having Randy help a lot with dusting and laundry. But tomorrow is my 100% NOT doing anything day. Though I am going to Jills to photo her riding Mingo and then she is coming over to ride Layla for me.

Not doing too bad surgery wise. Still sore. My lower right incision is still bleeding every once in a while as it only has that super glue stuff on it. However, I did try to put on a pair of jeans to go to dinner and the waist area hit that incision and boy did it hurt! So I promptly took them off but Im wondering if maybe it broke the seal or something? Post op is on Friday this coming week.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

KTM-Take it easy. I know telling that to a horse person is pretty much useless. I hope you continue to heal ok.Glad to hear Layla is acting like her perky self again. At least you have Jill to ride and give yourself time out of the saddle to heal.

PMJ-Yap that pretty much sums up what trainer had me doing. The clinic soundslike it was good.

Ahhhhvacation. Not going anywhere but still time to relax. I just got done making a brownie pie for hubby's Bday. FIL took us out to a nice restaurant for dinner on Sat. A nice little place and the food is so good there. Taking time and cleaning and conditioning all of my work tack. Pet sitting for my sister. Vacation almost seems like to much work.

Had a real good ride on Cheese yesterday. We hadn't had a jumping day in a couple of weeks due to me screwing up some muscles in my nack/shoulder area. It has gotten cool here recently. Add in the dact Cheese has been the enrgizer bunny lately I decided to use the jumper bit. I don't think I needed to. Cheese was great.Had a couple of downward transitions off of seat alone. Not pretty by any means but still an improvement.

HAhah csa, I know I know.. when you have the pain pills kicked in its easy to go a little much. Promising not to do anything today.

Brownie pie??? That sounds yummy!

Send that cooler weather down here! Though it hasnt broken 90 in almost 2 weeks (its a cold front! haha)

My day just went from excellent (placed the retiree in a great trail home, put shoes on the mare and she jumped like a treat) to such a downer.

I've been hoping and hoping for a free lease on a big 4th level (competed!) WB that a friends mom has to get my last Bronze scores. I've been telling the owner I will drive there with a trailer any day she wanted for the past two weeks, but no, some "trainer" I know texted her the day before me, and wanted him, so she said I was second in line, even though I would have picked him up that day. Well "trainer" picked him up today. I don't think it's a good match. But she wants her Bronze scores too. Not like her dressage has ever been great. Ugh.

I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere. This was a chance for a horse to teach me, instead of me teaching the greenbeans, which I love. But I feel like I'm stuck at being a great training and 1st level rider, and can't break the ceiling into the upper levels. I mean, I can get any old thing to score into seventies at training level, but I want to see if I have the talent for more than that.

So sorry Alyse. Maybe the owner or trainer will realize it isnt a good match and the lease will end earlier? Or maybe another opportunity will present itself. That has to really suck though. :ashamed0002: Congrats on placing the older guy.

So today Jill came over and rode Layla for me. It was really nice to see her go under someone who can ride and to also see that she tries the same tricks/evasions/head tilt with someone else and its not ME! She spent about 15 mins per usual testing every possible door to get out of work but once she realized that Jill knew how to ride and make her work, she gave in and had really really nice moments.

Back to work tomorrow... blah - at least its only 3 days of work though. Tomorrow after work I have a board meeting for my GMO so Ill be getting home late. Have to discuss the upcoming fall series and championships as well as the rated show and the USDF Convention that we are hosting here.

About to hit the hay.. my nap today has me a little off schedule.

I leave you with some pics from Jill and Layla today...

0906106.jpg

0906108.jpg

09061014.jpg

09061013.jpg

09061016.jpg

And the baby horse as well who is down hill AGAIN so when I lunged him he looked like a cow moving as he cant get his front half out of the way lol

IMG_1583.jpg

He's a very cute cow, though!

Might have finally reached the end with Riley. Unlucky injury #18. We think we've narrowed it down to distal semoidial ligaments. He's been on "stall" (aka 20 m paddock) rest for 10 weeks now with no improvement. He's still resting it, or placing it out in front of his shoulder when he rests, eats, or grazes. Walks sound, but not trot. Nobody seems to be talking "well, he ALWAYS comes back, no matter what" anymore. Now it's looking at retirement options if the farm gets sold.

I think I might put out a free lease wanted ad to look for a bronze medal horse. Even my trainer said I've been "spinning my wheels in place for a long time now."

I have a jump lesson with Benni this aft, he's been jumping GREAT lately. He keeps this up and hunterland might be his calling.

KTS-Sorry to hear about Riley. I hope you had a good lesson.

KTM-Growth spurts suck. One min the horse looks great and the next day they are downhill. I agree with KTS at least he is a cute cow.

Cheese was a total pig yesterday.She just would not get off her forehand It took over an hour to get a few decent steps from her. Called it a day after those few strides.

so I rode Mr. Kashmir for the second time in about 2 weeks. I tried to cut my finger off with a saw not too long ago, so the riding hasn't happened until it healed up a bit.

hubby did some videos, and one of them is on my facebook. he was a really good boy despite me not using my leg enough and keeping my leg long like is the bane of my existence. no bucking in the canter, smooth transition left, hopped into it a bit going right, and jumped a little x a couple times. did some trot leg-yield.

since hubby was out videotaping me, i have an accurate time on how long i rode. it was like 10 minutes. ouch. no wonder he's needing to build up strength!

emily, its been so hot though so I dont blame you. You are doing more than I have been.

So this show was another disaster. She was super tense and calling even though I trailered her and Ben seperately and she never saw Mingo or Ben at the show. I got her somewhat relaxing in the warmup doing lots of long and low and even had decent canter. Then we go into the arena and she is high as a kite and wound up tighter than a ball of rubberbands. Theres a judge at E with a table who is learning so it wasnt official but new to her. Then right as we do our left lead canter lengthening, a big old 4wd truck goes flying by (that arena is like 40 feet from a busyt country road) and it has a huge old trailer behind it and its rattling like crazy and she spooks. Just when we do our stretchy trot circle and she starts to relax, this really LOUD (like overly) music comes over the speakers and its a little unsettling (freestyle music for a PSG fresian) so lost her again. The only thing that we did well on was the halt. I didnt even look at my test. I said I would be surprised if we got over a 55% and we didnt - we got a 55%. I scratched my 2nd class as it just wasnt worth the frusteration. I took Layla home and brought Rex up to the show so something productive would take place.

Rex was wonderful at the show as usual. I did put the chain on just as hes a lot bigger than his last outing and to remind him to not bulldoze through me. Everyone loved him and couldnt believe he just turned 3 in June. He had some admirers from UDBB that I know in real life that came to say hi. Then he spent the rest of the time eating grass while the show was busy all around him. He hasnt been out in over a year and this is his 2nd show ever. After Sarah did her last test, we put them both in our stalls so we could pack up the trailer. Rex loved the stalls - he was able to meet all the horses around his stall and make friends - he thought it was great.

Depressed about Layla. We go from getting 67% and winning First level AA everything last year to 3 horrible shows in a row. We have fun rides where we play around or just hack or dont work. Work in a ring a few times when at Jills. Then I think about the amazing rides we had a month ago and even how great she went when Jill rode her almost 3 weeks ago. I know her right hind is getting sticky but most of the time she works out of it in less than 3 mins. Some days its not even there. Its right at 6 months post hock injections. When I took her 2 years ago for the first time to my lameness vet, he told me that she would likely need her hocks done every 6 months esp due to the bone spavin in the right hind. We were able to get 9 months the last 2 times. I have no problem injecting her every 6 months if that is what she needs but I dont want to inject just for the sake of riding her where we are at. If its too much, then Im not going to inject just to keep working there. I sent an email to my vet to discuss it with him. I guess we will see what he says. After much research on COTH and UDBB, a lot of people have their horses hocks done twice a year if they are showing quite a bit and working on harder things and obviously depending on the particular horse. Layla is so stoic that its hard to tell a lot of times how she really feels. When she gets as tense as she was at the show, she makes herself look off (think rein lameness) b/c shes so balled up. When I got her relaxed in the warm up, she felt/looked great. So Im just not sure.

Gah I dont know if any of that even made sense. [surrender]

So on the positive notes, Rex was a champ at the show, nothing bad happened to me or Layla other than just a bad experience, and I am somehow down 17lbs without working out. Love it. Randy keeps saying Im getting thinner but I dont see/feel it. Though when we went to see Resident Evil in 3D last night (crazy movie!), we took a pic with the super cool glasses and I have ONE chin. hahha but I could see it there and I guess its coming off the top half. Now to get on the treadmil and get the bottom half gone.

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

meandrandy3d.jpg

Shantel, I get where you are coming from. That's what Lucy is like. I have had a couple really good rides wince my friend went back to TN, and then yesterday and today she was pulling on my hands so hard that I have blisters. She was even pulling on a waterford. I've tried every trick in the book with the pulling and leaning crap, and NOTHING helps. I've tried shorter reins, longer reins, more leg, less leg, hands higher, hands lower, hands more together, hands wide, whip held under my thumbs, squeezing leg, tapping leg, several different bits, teeth are done, shoes, no shoes, flash, no flash, dropping her every time she pulls (which btw she just loves to be dropped, it means she no longer has to listen to me in her mind), chiro, supplements, draw reins, different saddles and pads... You name it, I've tried it. She's great trail riding, she's nice on a very long rein, but once you pick the reins up that first time, half the time the whole rides just goes to he** in a handbasket.

She's been like this for years. She *used* to be very light in an elevator, which I am going to try tomorrow. I feel like if I can just get her to stop hanging all the time even if it takes an illegal bit, she will develop the muscle to carry herself better and then we can switch back to the snaffle. Because all those tricks that work on most horses just make her worse. I swear, I drop her and then next time I pick up contact she pulls even harder because now she's learned that she pulls and maybe you will just drop the reins.

At least Mir has been good. My ride yesterday was wonderful. We had some nice canter transitions, nice leg yields, and the trot was better than the ride before. He's so very light in the hand, while still reaching for the contact. I planned to ride him today too, but I spent so long on Lucy trying to get her to bend left off the leg and not to swing her head to the right if I released the left rein, that by the time I finished I was exhausted.

KTS, so sorry about Riley. I know that is so hard. He's so lovely too. Good luck searching for a schoolmaster. If I hear about anything down in this area, I'll let you know.

KTM, my mare was very similar to what you are experiencing, but she would be like this off and on daily. We did a couple of things with her that may help you if you want to try and keep showing her. Don't know if you are doing them, but could be worth a shot. Fiona was very, very hot and off and on--again, she could be like that at home or at shows. What helped her was Ex-Stress which is a suppliment. However, the thing that helped the most was Ulcer-gard or Gastro-gard. We kept her on it all the time, and got the best results that way (until she was injured & I retired her). What might be cost effective and help you going into the show is just preventively give her Ulcer-gard for several days before. The "up-ness" that she has, attacheness, and distractedness, would cause me to try it. Anyhow, just a similar type horse that benefited. I understand how frustrating that can be.

Shiloh, that sucks about the finger. I screwed up my back, but the riding continues. Making a short trip to Gunnar's soon.

PMJ, let me know when you are going to be at Gunner's. Maybe I can convince hubby to go on a road trip!

I did talk to my friend today and she pretty much confirmed my thoughts in regard to Lucy, just as in the way to handle it. The only thing I didn't do yesterday is the super-quick transitions. If I can't get her back over this hump and start making a bit of progress, I'm just going to focus more on Mir. Now that he is cantering decently under saddle, and the saddle fits him well, he's been pretty nice to ride.

KTM-Ahhh mares. Just got done a week of pure he11 with Cheese. It sounds like Rex is taking everything in stride. Congrats on the weight loss.

shiloh-Glad to hear Mir is doing better. I hear you on the elevatot bit. It is what I use for jumping Cheese. Any sort of jump in the ring and all bets are off. However with the elevater she is still light and less puulley.

PMJ-I hope your back heals soon.

I had a lesson last week that was just bad. There was some noise from the nieghber's place that can best described as a mutant caw. Got my, Cheese's, and the trainer's attention. So Cheese continued to think everything was scary and spook every 10min or so. She would not get off her forehand what so ever. However two new horses moved in a couple days before the lesson and that can get Cheese all worked up.Switched lessons around a bit so I can have another lesson this week. It should be better. Last ride was pretty good.

PMJ, yes I have her on magnesium dimalate which is the 2nd most bio available form of magnesium available. Ex Stress is basically that but more expensive. I just started her on U7 (the liquid) 3 weeks ago b/c she came off of her feed and was being really snarky and pinning her ears in her stall, etc. After approx 5-6 days on it, she started licking her bowl clean. Ive owned this mare for 8 yrs and the only time she licked her bowl was when it had molasses poured over the food. So its a great change.

I know that shes a sensitive flower - seriously - my sports med vet called her a hot house flower b/c you cant even pretend to touch her back and she starts to antisipate and then when she realizes its ok, she stops. Shes a little dramatic. I know she is due for her teeth though they are NOT bad (it will be 6 months in 2 weeks) and the dentist is coming when I get home from WEG. It has also been 6 months since her last hock injections. Sports med vet also said she would likely need her hocks done every 6 months too but I want to make sure I am injecting for the right reasons ya know.

It has been 2 months since her last Adequan shot. Money has been a little tight with my surgery and all so I havent been able to buy more. Adequan was the first step to getting her going again 2+ yrs ago and I dont know if that makes THAT big of a deal or not. Im kind of grasping at straws ya know.

The thing that gets me is that 3 weeks ago, she was amazing. Even had some really great moments 2 weeks ago. We also were making headway in the fact that my boarder could ride her gelding completely out of sight when we were next door at the neighbors arena and she only pricked her ears but mentally stayed with me. So yeh... maybe its just that time of year. She hasnt been in heat for a while now... when she is in heat shes AMAZING and so relaxed and wonderful. If I could only keep her in heat. Ugh.

At work so this is way too long! Gotta go but check this out too. Cross post from UDBB (where my weight has always been a discussion for them.. roll eyes!)

It's no secret, esp on here, that I struggle with my weight. I think a lot of us do. I know for me, it is really hard to get motivated b/c you will work SO hard and not see any difference. SEEING is believeing in my book. And we all know when it comes to losing weight, it takes a while to see the results.

I dont really remember what triggered my change in my thought process 2 months ago... maybe it was all the lunch room discussions that the girls have at work; we have quite a few ladies who are REALLY good cooks and of course with 10 women in a small dental office, we all have lots of opinions on food and what tastes good, etc. I remember getting so exciting to talk about this places BBQ or this brand of whatever. Food was a big deal. And that is when I decided that it wasn't a big deal. I didn't want to live to eat but eat to live as the saying goes. I became less interested in how amazing something tasted or if I didn't feel like eating something. Food was just something that had to be part of life so that you can go on living for the next day. It is amazing that once you can flip that switch at how much easier it gets to not feel guilty if you don't finish your plate or if you only eat a kid's portion at a restaurant. Each day become easier and easier. It was no longer a big production about what was for dinner, etc. All of a sudden, I had all this time to focus on other things in life instead of food. It's great. I never really considered myself one to think about food a lot, esp b/c I am SO picky. But I think b/c I am picky, the things that I really like were just that much better b/c they tasted so good AND I liked them. Who knew.

I didn't change my thinking to lose weight. I changed it to stop gaining. With all of the pain that I have been in the last 3 months working out is a no go. Heck even riding or doing barn chores was too painful at times. I had the goal that once I had my surgery and got out of pain that I was going to start back to my workout routine (the one that I stuck to but barely saw results).

Here and there Id post pics on FB and would have a friend text me "Wow youve lost weight!". I figure its just the blonde hair or something. Then when I posted the pics from my surgery day, I had like 3 people say to me "Wow youve lost weight!" and again, I dont really see it but gee thanks. I mean, yes, my scale did say that I was 10lbs lighter but I retain a lot of water so my weight can fluctuate 5lbs within a few days so I never really paid attention to the scale.

I also had my husband ask a few times.. he works a week gone on the boat and a week home, except he is taking classes to upgrade his license so most of his time off is spent out of town doing that. So it had been 21 days since I had seen him. I just figured it was b/c it had been a while. He mentioned it again when he was taking care of me post surgery. I told him that maybe a little bit as food isnt a big deal anymore. But again, I didnt see a change.

So to hurry the too long story up, I posted a pic to my FB last week on my way home from work to show how I felt about the weather (lol) because it was 84 in Sept! It was BEAUTIFUL. Again, another friend who sent me a message "Wow youve lost a LOT of weight!" Husband got off work last Thursday. Now he is cracking jokes that Im wasting away and he can get one arm all the wasy around me. I dont really get it but it is nice to hear.

But then, last night, we went to see Resident Evil 3D (super crazy movie btw) and we took a pic together for FB (I never thought Id be so into this FB thing!) and when I looked at it I was like "OMG I have ONE chin. And its skinny! And look - you can see my collar bone!!!" I checked the scale when I got home, 17lbs lighter than my consistant weight 2 months ago. And this is without even being able to truly work out. So this is my visual motivation that I needed. I can see results and Im not even truly trying. This is great. I dont mean to brag but Im so excited that I have to share.

This is 17lbs heavier - Im far left

4644_1067300251214_1487303532_30181165_5385575_n.jpg

This is 10lbs lighter

44741_1542168001335_1449009522_31439960_8323428_n.jpg

The two most recent pics - my happy about the weather pic and the one where I actually realized that hey, I do look better!

59374_1559817762568_1449009522_31484087_5519666_n.jpg

one chin! collarbone!!!!

62919_1564988611836_1449009522_31495145_6056428_n.jpg

So that is my way too wordy story. I just wanted to share. I saw the scale moving but I just didnt see the results. Now I do. And we all know my weight has been the topic of many posts on here, sometimes quite heated! So now Im making it a topic about it leaving.

Congrats Shantel! You look beeeyoootiful! And lifestyle change as opposed to diet is the wait to go re keeping the weight off in the long run.

Shantel you look very nice! You were always beautiful though :)

So Lucy was better in the elevator, finally. No more yanking my arms off. I knwo that "every horse should go in a snaffle", and "bitting up isn't the answer". But honestly, if it takes bitting up for a while to get her off my hands, it might just be worth it. It'll give her some time to build strength, and for her mouth to regain some sensitivity.

Of course I am also going to check her saddle again, and try to get her into the good horsey chiro around here. Since this is an ongoing issue with her, I'm leaning toward the 3 month break from work and her stubborn attitude getting the best of things.

At least Mir is starting to come along. He did some bucking stuff today at the canter transitions, but he was TIRED, and otherwise very nice, and the bucking was just a couple little leaps and then he would go forward. He's steering totally off my seat and leg at times, and is starting to become nicely responsive. I have no clue how I managed to teach him to turn off the leg/seat though. Lucy doesn't do much without being heavy in the hand, so it didn't occur to me that I would be able to teach Mir to steer correctly. Now I'm getting more excited about starting Annie!

Shantel-Cahnging the lifestyle is the way to do it. It seems to be easier if the husband goes away for a little. Maybe I should send hubby away for a little. I made the mistake of weighing myself the other day and found out I had gained a few pounds.I need to start walking again or something.

shiloh-Bitting up may not solve problam but it helps to get a handle of them at times. There are days when I know the ride will end in disater if I ride Cheese in a snaffle. So to avoid frustration I will bit up.

I finally figured out how to change the computer screen colors. The regular blue on white is hard for me to read. I don't know if my eyesight got worse or if I spent to much time on the computer last weekend but I couldn't look at the screen for more than 5 min. I figured how to change the window colors easy put trying to change the whole screen was a pain. I miss out on some pics here and there but it is worth it. Plus I can always flip back and forth between the two color schemes. I just have to reset my desktop pic. Which is just a little annoyong.

I had a really good lesson this week. Cheese was tired by the end but would not admit it. A couple of weeks ago I was at a gaming show riding a friend's horse. She has a few in training who are starting to show. So she offered me a horse to ride to cut costs for her and I get to do some running stuff and not confuse Cheese. Well my sister had shown up with my niece to watch a little. I wanted to see a bit of the show. It may be a good place to start my niece out. Well one of the first things out of my niece's mouth was"Where is Cheese?" To stinkin cute.

Sooooooooo.........

I got on Rex for the first time! Yay. If you guys remember, my boarder got on him back in May and sat on him. I have yet to do so. I had his OCD hock surgery done, recovered from that, and then we had over 57 days straight of over 90 degrees with 90% + humidity (IE over 105 heat index EVERY day) so needless to say, I was NOT working my horse in that heat.

With crazy work schedule, surgery/CT scans, and then WEG, I havent worked with him in 3 weeks. So tonight (of course a Noreaster is blowin in so it was 78 today and quickly dropped to 60 in like 2 hours) I lunged him in full tack. First canter to the left had a little leap and bound and then a quick reminder this is not play time. Great canters after that. Then first canter to the right resulted in a HUGE buck but he did not try to run or be silly after that. Tracking right has been iffy in the past where he will stop and turn to go left. None of that and perfect verbal cues, great whoas, etc.

I worked him just enough to see the veins popping a little and he was blowing his nostrils a TINY bit. Then I decided we would use him being tired to my advantage and just work on standing still at the mounting block. Well of course being the "been there done that" horse that he is, he was 100% perfectly still and great with me jumping around on the stool and stepping in the stirrup and laying over his back in the saddle. So when I stood up in the left stirrup, I just swung the right leg over and tada.

Of course, TOTAL non event. He tooks a few steps backwards (which I figured would be his direction of choice) and my boarder led him by the halter (under the bridle) 1/2 way down my field and back. I was able to adjust my seat, shift the saddle to the right a little, and have good leg pressure with no problem at all. After just sitting for like 3 mins I got off b/c he was just absolutely perfect and tired. He has little topline now so just standing with a rider and saddle is a lot for him right now. But I am going to repeat this same thing this weekend to keep it fresh and positive in his mind. I think Jill is going to come over and we are going to do pony rides.

Two quick pics. Forewarning - sweater, jeans, and cowboy boot combo is not flattering but hey, Im on my 3 y/o for the first time! :mrgreen:

rexshantelsit1.jpg

rexshantelsit2.jpg

Shantel ? So sorry to hear about the loss of Mr Boo. I had three kitties that I got when I was in law school. They were totally inseparable. I lost one to a stroke on Halloween in 2008. After putting Theo down, Slinky was never the same. She constantly cried for him and looked for him. Then last Thursday, I came home from work and Henry couldn?t stand up any more. Slinky had a complete meltdown when I took Henry away from her. She started full body throwing herself at the door, frantically meowing, shoving her paws under the crack in the door ? just an all out panic attack ? which is pretty much what I expected to happen. She was not in good shape herself, just skin and bones and really showing the signs of old age. I couldn?t leave her to suffer without her best friends. It would have been pure torture for her, so I took her with Henry and had both of them put down last Thursday. Hardest decision I?ve ever had to make. Pictures from years ago when they were young and sassy:

Henry

Henry.jpg

Theo

Theo.jpg

Slinky

Slinky.jpg

CSA ? I?m with PMJ, KTS, Shiloh and Boo - time off is a fantastic tool. I generally never work Lieto more than two days in a row, and he gets a full week off about every other month or so. I?ll probably give him a real full vacation of a month or so this winter to just rest and be a baby. Probably between Thanksgiving and Christmas when I?m busy anyway. I just find that when he gets that week off, he comes back fresher and ready to work. If I try to work him too many days back to back, he starts to get sucked back and sour. If I have a clinic or show coming up, I try to work him every other day prior the clinic and give him the day right before off. For example, I have a clinic this Sunday, so I worked him Sunday, Monday off, then he got a very light 20 minute ride Tuesday, then we had a hard lesson with the trainer Wednesday, Thursday off, lesson with the trainer Friday, Saturday off, clinic Sunday and then he will get Monday and maybe Tuesday off. If I had access to trails, the light ride Tuesday would have been a hack on the trail instead a light arena ride. Glad to hear you have found a trainer that works so well with you and Cheese. That is great news. I hear you on pregnant trainers though!! Julie is pregnant with twins, due in December. She is still waddling in to teach me, but not sure how much longer she will be able to do that. We have found a really great substitute to cover for her while she is out, but it just won?t be the same.

Boo ? Any luck leasing out Beau? That would definitely be the preferable option to selling him. It would be so hard to let him go after all the hard work you put into him. How about some updated pictures of Bobby? He must be getting huge by now.

Shantel ? Glad to hear your surgery went well. So sorry to hear about the bad show with Layla. Wonder why she is getting so tense at the shows? Have you considered just giving her a dose of Calm and Cool or something along those lines to help break the cycle and get her back into a good show pattern? I know there is one that is show legal though I can?t remember which one. Be calm maybe? At any rate, it sounds like she has just gotten herself worked into a state, and now she is anticipating a negative experience. Rex certainly sounds like he is becoming an old pro at shows. That?s fantastic. How tall is that boy getting to be?? He looks huge!! He is really growing into himself. Looking very nice!! Congrats on the weight loss. You look great!! Woo-hooo!! First ride on Rex!! Looks like you have a real keeper there. What a good boy he is. Are you still planning on sending him out to have the first 30 days or so of training put on him??

KTS ? So sorry to hear about the missed opportunity with the free lease. I totally understand your frustration. I felt so close with Razzle. Got my 1st and 2nd level scores with him, and he was solid on ALL the 3rd level movements except for the changes. He just maxed out at that point. He was such a good boy. I couldn?t push him and risk breaking him. As much as I wanted that Bronze. He would do a change, but you could feel him REALLY struggling. Now to have to start all over with a total green bean. Lieto had no concept of contact, hind end, using his back, straightness or rhythm when I got him. He was a mess. Trained completely front to back, so we had to scrap everything and start all over which threw him for a loop. It has truly been like starting all over from square one again. Very frustrating. So sorry to hear about Riley. You have really tried so hard with him and had so many ups and downs, and he is such a nice horse. I think the free lease wanted ad is a great idea. There are a lot of horses out there right now that need riders and care in this economy. A want ad certainly doesn?t hurt. You never know what will come of it until you try. I see them around here, and they get responses.

Shiloh ? Glad to hear Mir is coming along so well. If Lieto is going to buck, it is always when he is tired and I push him for more ? or when my crooked position is blocking him from going forward and I push him for more ? he rather resents that.

Beckham came to visit!! We had a fantastic time. Took her around Boston, out on our boat around Boston Harbor, went to the Aquarium, made a literal TON of food. She helped me with some groundwork with Lieto (who was horrified), then I had her take a lesson on Lieto with Julie ? who is still talking about how amazed she is at how identical we are ? we have the same name and all the exact same riding faults. She did a fantastic job with Lieto who was bound and determined to test her at every opportunity. He started off very tense and tight absolutely sure that I had set him up to be killed by letting someone else get on him, but he figured out pretty quickly that all the aids are the same. Imagine that!! He settled in and relaxed, and Beckham got some really lovely work out of him. I took an absolute ton of video and pics, but I?ll leave it up to Beckham to share that with you. I?ll just give you a little teaser:

Beckham and Lieto:

Shelley067.jpg

It has been a very busy summer. Lieto has been working incredibly well and making super progress. He has really come into his own the last few weeks, and my trainer says he is working at a solid 1st level now. He has leg yielding, shoulder-in and trot lengthenings really solid. The canter lengthenings are good, but still need more work. We have been working on the lead changes on the diagonal through the trot, but those are a little sticky still. We just introduced counter canter simple loops and those were incredibly easy for him, and walk/canter transitions which he almost got on the first try. We have a clinic with Tom Noone this Sunday which I?m really looking forward to. We had to scratch out of this clinic last year because it was right when he was getting sick.

Hope everyone is doing well.

~Shelly~

So glad Lieto's doing well! He's so handsome.

Riley is . . . improving! Rather more quickly than we had hoped. He was slowly getting a bit better week by week, then I put him on Surpass and he went sound! He's been off it for several days, so I thought I would check again without it masking it, and there is only a little step here and there, if you are looking very closely, that you can see!

He's such a unique horse. My farrier today was going on about how pleased he was that "Riley loves him." I don't know how such a high strung, obnoxious, homely pain of a horse can be so charming!

The guy saw it for the first time last week. He's never seen me ride him, only seen him bang the stall door, pace the pasture, break in to hives, and generally be a pushy pain. I don't really think he understood why I loved him so much until last week. I let him out in the pasture and wanted to make him trot around so I could see how he went. He promptly put himself on a 20 meter circle around me, in a large pasture, and walk, trotted (danced, rather, showing off), and changed directions just off my command. No halter, no treats, nothing. Then he came to me and put him chin on my shoulder. I was like "you see why, now?" He saw.

KTS - that is fantastic news about Riley!! So happy to hear that he is improving again. You must be floating on air. Glad your guy finally got to see how special he is.

~Shelly~

Beckham-Slacker. C'mon I want to see pics.

KTS-Glad to Riley is doing better. Fingers cross he continues to get better.

Smithereens-Hi there stranger. Have fun at the clinic. Oy twins. Tell your trainer good luck.Being a twin I know my sister and I drove my mom nuts. Glad you have a substitute. I am kind of planing to give Cheese some time off than. No indoor just the covered arena. If winter is as nasty as it was last year I won't be doing much riding anyway.

Past couple of weeks have been a bit of a bummer. A couple weeks ago my farrier had to put down a horse.This past week the BO had to put down their main show horse. So I figured I would just go have fun today. A simple trail ride to enjoy time with Cheese. She was nothing but trot. So I took her in the ring. Two laps around and she is moving nicely on the bit. I think we have finally made some real progress. It no longer takes and hour worth of riding to get Cheese relaxing and stretching for the bit. She is starting to move off of seat better.

I have a jump lesson scheduled next week. I need to work on my confidence. I had to switch my computer moniter's colors around so I can use for more than a half hour a day. To much light from a white screen. Which means my eyesight has probably gotten a bit worse. So yeah I need a goon confidence building lesson before the real cold weather hits.

CSA - Seems all my friends are having twins. My best friend from law school had twins at the end of May - a boy and a girl. Now my trainer is due in December and expecting twin boys. Don't know how they do it!! I am not a kid person, and more than one would definitely do me in. Glad to hear you are getting some good rides in on Cheese despite some sad times around the barn. Have to say I agree with you on the color of a computer screen - that's the first thing I do when I get a new computer, change the color of the screen!! The white screen is just way too harsh.

Beckham is a slacker!! 033102bebe_1_prv.gif

~Shelly~

Ok, I am still half awake at this point in the day...so here goes!

I am interning at a emergency/specialty vet clinic in the surgery ward and I am a bit tired. I am there through the end of the month and seeing and learning a ton. Just busy and tired!

The weather has been beautiful, so still riding. Beckham had a good summer showing at second level. The weather conditions were never great when we went, so I wish show season wasn't over. He is soooo much stronger now then even the beginning of the summer. He got lots of 8's on his tests and really good comments, so even though he wasn't as strong as I would like him to be yet, it confirmed to me that he is ready and we will keep going. He is also schooling changes and has nice half passes. We started with a new trainer over the summer and she got sick mid-summer for a few weeks, so we were on our own. I also have a clinic in a few weeks. Pics:

DSC_0036.jpg

It was the hottest day of the year in this photo...over 100 degrees and stormed like crazy right after my ride.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

And after the hot summer quarter was over, I headed to Boston for a fun, long weekend with Shelly! We ate great food, rode, went out on the boat...the weather was great and we had a blast. Lieto is huge in person and full of personality:-) Just a really fun loving horse. Shelly's trainer was a hoot, going on how much we ride alike! Here are some pics!

PIC_0014.JPG

PIC_0067.JPG

PIC_0086.JPG

P1020454.JPG

2010-09-11_13-30-19_241.jpg

Okay, I think I have overloaded everyone with photos!!

Edited by Beckham03

Okay, I'll withdraw the slacker comment!! I can't believe more than a month has gone by since you were here. This summer has gone by so fast. We are taking the boat out of the water either this weekend or next. Not sure which yet. Man, I was just starting to think Lieto was looking good, then I see pics of Beckham, and I'm reminded just how far we have to go still!!! He is looking so nice.

~Shelly~

Ok, long time no post. I have been very busy. Will try and catch up with everyone.

CSA, you have had some good rides with new trainer! Awesome!

KTS, I want you to lease Beau! You would be the perfect person for him, if you can't buy him.

Shantel, way to go on the weight loss. I have lost 45 #'s since March and it sure feels good and I ride much better. Beau is going much better as well.

Smithereens and Beckham; great visit together and Lieto looks awesome.

I took Beau to a show a couple of weeks ago and did 2nd level test one for the first time. I had not been on him in almost two weeks. Bad, I know. He injured his old leg injury again somehow???? and then I was sick. I got back on him the day before at the show grounds and he was good. I still didn't feel great the next day, so I scratched 2nd test 2 and just did 2nd test 1. It had it's good and bad points, not bad for first time out. I scored a 62.10% and got an 8 on his gaits. The judge told me he is definitely so there for 2nd level work and a very lovely and talented horse, so going again next weekend and do 2nd 1 and 2 this time. His leg is fine and my Vet. said in a pre-purchase it would be considered just a blemish, so not to worry.

Took Bobby to his breeders lovely farm on Wed. of this week for the Hanoverian Inspection yesterday. I helped them out with the foals and horses in the arena and then at the end of the day, Bobby, my little, or not so little, super star was branded w/ the Hanoverian brand. He handled everything like a real super star. Hauled well, was in his stall and settled nicely, ate, drank, walked around, looked at everything and didn't even hardly notice the branding. He is truly an amazing horse. His breeder was so pleased with how handsome he is turning out and how correct his conformation is and was very pleased and happy with him all around. It was beautiful weather, but a long haul. 4 hours one way and I did not get home till late last night, then back to work this a.m. But a great time.

My Mom was here last week for my son's b.day and we all went to Sea World in San Antonio and really enjoyed that.

I think that's it for now. KTM PM me about Beau. I am serious! He is doing 2nd and not far from 3rd. You can have your bronze by next spring.

Boo - That is a FANTASTIC score for your first time out at 2nd level. That would be a great score if you had been riding and schooling right along with no break for illness on both of your parts. Very well done! You should be very proud of both you and Beau. More than ready for that leap up to 2nd for the two of you to come off of being ill and make such a showing. Glad to hear that the leg injury healed up well. Sounds like Bobby did very well at the his Inspection - though that's no surprise. Great brain he has!! Really can't wait to see him as he starts to grow and develop. He sure is going to be a really nice horse. You found yourself a darn nice baby. Good luck in your next show with Beau. Pictures?? Of both Beau and Bobby??

~Shelly~

I'd love to ride Beau!

And that's a whole lot better score than Riley and my debut at 2nd level!!! Well done!

Wow everyone is having great summer. I am loving all the update pics and totally jealous about the ride on Lieto!

Yesterday was our 4 yr anniversary so tonight we went to Ruths Chris Steakhouse (if you dont know what that is... omg... amazing food, the ambiance, the service, etc etc etc this is the once a year restaurant!)

They had a nice card saying happy anni with fresh rose petals on the table and then at the end we both got a plate with a mini choc cheesecake and mini bowl of fresh berries and cream and written on the plates in choc said Happy Anniversary! Wonderful place.

Total cheesin pic but rockin my skinny jeans!

67659_1600221972648_1449009522_31571996_3049306_n.jpg

Happy couple

66002_1600222172653_1449009522_31571997_2446400_n.jpg

My handsome wonderful hubby

67698_1600222972673_1449009522_31571999_1123436_n.jpg

Boo - that is great about Beau and congrats on a great score for your first time out. We def need some new pics of Bobby!

Took Layla over to Jills yesterday for an easy trail ride. She FINALLY is in heat and is no longer snarky and cranky. She is just so loving and relaxed when in heat.. I wish I could keep her there! Anyways, had a great ride and Layla was def ready to go. On the way back, we let them trot. I asked Jill how short she was on the RH (bone spavin bothering her.. prob need new injections) and she said she was totally even. She felt great. Finished with a nice trot around the sports field and she offered a canter. How about it was so over her back, on the bit, lots of suspension, and just lovely. Ugh - I dont know what to do with her, honestly. Tomorrow I am going to have her hind shoes pulled though. Having my hours at work cut doesnt help the pocketbook so its almost the end of the season and Im not so sure how much I will ride her.

Going to bed - really exhausted!