KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat #29

Thanks. I only go over there when I am bored.

Edited to add:OMG his stride is huge. I think the first canter is the second best part of training. The first being the first time you sit on the horse.Congrats on such a great clinic.

Edited by c.s.a.

Could use eveyones help. I was researching places to list my saddle. I came across a contest for a new saddle. Whoever gets the most views wins. You don't have to watch the video for it to count. It is stuff you all have seen before anyway. Please and thank you.

His stride IS huge - I know the arena is going to seem much smaller now! lol

Clicked on the link like 10 times for you - hope it helped.

Went to Busch Gardens on Friday. Let me tell you - if you want to go to a theme park when its super not busy? Go the Friday before Tday! It was DEAD! We rode the Shiekra 4 times in a row and it took less than 30 mins total! Walk up the stairs, get on the coaster, wash rinse repeat! We had a blast - it was just me and Brandy from work as the other 2 girls couldnt go. This is like the last time we could go before Dec 31 when our pass runs out so we figured we would get our monies worth.

149152_1651316929990_1449009522_31670854_7496178_n.jpg

On our way home - unfortunately that photo does not capture the ridiculous coaster-swept hair that we were stylin. Traffic was almost completely stopped on 75N. There was a semi behind us and the driver waved and Brandy made the mistake of waving back. He somehow ended up next to us and was waving and talking to us. FYI - Dont wave at truck drivers esp in stop n go traffic. Though Im sure we made the guys day. lol

ANDDD how about Sarah ROCKED it at the NFDA Championship show today winning Intro AA, beating a fresian, fjord, and a TB on her Spotted Saddle Horse!

149044_1652371436352_1449009522_31672999_5656903_n.jpg

I didnt show so I helped Jill with awards so I knew ahead of time who had won and it was SO exciting. Sarah kept saying what a bad test it was, etc etc but it really was really good and Ben was so nicely forward. She did say she wanted a neck sash! lol

Totally exhausted from yesterday and today. Off to bed shortly..

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Thanks KTM every little bit helps. Cheese definately needs a bew saddle. Congrats to Sarah. I have to kjeep reminding myself you are in florida and going to an amusement park at this time of year is normal.lol.

So I ahve mostly been just linging Cheese in an all purpose treeless saddle. Leaving her strech down and relax and feel the saddle is different. I have put in a ride and decided I don't like the stirrup rigging and will have it replaced. Cheese definatly felt better. Right to work and aoverall really good ride. Still a little stiff on the left. I am still going to have the vet out to check her hochs. I did a flex test the other day and Cheese was fine.

Hey KTS, I'm at my trainer's so it's his working students, but he's awesome-- PM me or I friended you on FB a while back. I'm just down here for the season, and luckily my work travels. It would be too much to try to do the job and do horses professionally, but I do like doing it somewhat "full time."

CSA--I've clicked the link, so hope it works!! That would be cool!!

KTM--I love that photo of Ben--he's so flashy. Love black and white so much.

So, crashing. Always early mornings. If I don't get back before, everyone have a happy T-giving. I had a super, absolutely fantastic weekend getting to officially meet and spend a fun time with Shelly--Smithereens on Friday and Saturday!!! I was the best weekend!

Edited by PMJ

Just a quick catch up. So busy all the time.

KTS, my trainers are always looking for WS if you want to come to Texas.

PMJ, that's great you got to meet Shelly.

Beau and Bobby are doing great.

My MIL had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago and drove herself to the hospital. They found her in a wheelchair, just inside the ER doors, with no pulse and not breathing. They were able to revive her and air flight her to the City to the bigger hospital up there. She had a rough time of it for a while there, but was released Sat. and went to my SIL for a while to recover. While we were there last weekend, my SIL had to put my niece's horse down from colic. He was 22 and they had him 13 years. So sad. Glad they have 80 acres and were able to bury him on their farm.

Hubby and I had a fun date this past weekend. Went to dinner and a hot rod car show and wandering the shops downtown. Fun night.

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Here is a photo of my 2nd level debut. This was back in September. We did quite well for our first time out. Now we won't show again till spring and the tests are new, so going to have to learn them again!!! LOL!

2ndleveldebutjpg.jpg

I haven't posted on here in a bit. With Lucy being lame (figured out she had laminitis due to getting into FIL's all stock, at least 25lb of it), and then me having the flu, I have just started riding them again in the past week. Mir is going to his first dressage show next weekend, just doing intro B and C. He's been fantastic in his trot work, and the canter is decent as long as he doesn't take off hopping. But he's really coming along so nicely.

Lucy has been a major a$$ recently though. I'm wondering if her belly isn't bothering her, since all of mine suddenly developed a taste for acorns. They can't get to them anymore, but acorns can do a number on their stomach (among other things). She's just been feeling like I'm riding a time bomb, and I have no brakes at all. Very tense, tongue over bit, way worse than normal.

And we killed our own turkey for Thanksgiving this year, and he's in the oven. We are doing Thanksgiving a day early because hubby has to work. Fingers crossed that the turkey ends up tasting good, because if he's tough I will cry.

Boocoo-Beau looks lovely.

shiloh-Sorry to hear about Lucy. Riding her sounds like a roller coaster ride. You have your extreme ups/good rides then you just plummet/have just horrible rife.

I hope everyone jad a good Thanksgiving. I finally get my turkey today. Hubby cooks it and prefers to make it a day when we don't have to work. I had Cheese's shoes pulled for the winter yesterday. Now she gets a couple days off. She is usually tender on her fronts the first couple of days. I think I finally found a hackmore she likes. It has been over a years since the last one broke. I prefer to use a hack for beginenrs riding her and for goofing off. Planing on going to ride a friend's horse today. The temps are only suppose to be in the 40s. So we shall see. I am a wuss in the cold weather.

Thanks CSA.

Glad you finally got your turkey.

I just pulled Beau's back shoes the other day to help with his heel development. Left the fronts on . So far he is not sore at all and I rode him and he did great. I always spray some iodine on his feet to toughen up the soles and help with him not being sore. Makes a big difference.

We had a great turkey day. Our weather finally turned cold. No more 80 degree days! Bummer, I am like you CSA and don't like the cold!

Who ever knew giving your horse some down time could be so depressing. Gave Cheese a couple days off. Had crazy weather. Temps in the 60s with high winds and lots of rain. Now highs are in the mid to low 40s. Hopefully I can adjust to the cold and go ride. It does not help I ride in the morning when it is still below freezing.

I did not get my turkey yet. Suppose to now have it on Sat. We shall see. Jammed my finger at work. So it has just been a blah week. There is a holiday parade near me of just animals, no motor vehicles, this weekend. Probably going to borrow a horse and ride in it. I need to go ride soon or I am going to go nuts.

I've been out of the loop for a year, and I sure miss you guys!

Shantel, I think I found you on Facebook. Boocoo, do you have a FB account? Tracy? Smithereens? Anyone else? FB has been my main source for contact with the "outside world."

I just can't seem to get any time in the saddle. The infrequent times that I do get to visit Jag, I find myself grooming him and hopping on him bareback for a quick hack around the farm . I am waiting as patiently as possible for the day when the kids can come with me to the barn; they can play in the sandbox or do something independently while I ride.

Next summer we plan to fix up our barn and move the horses to our property, which might make riding a easier task for me.

So, I scimmed through the four pages of posts; so much has been going on!!!

Boocoo, I saw somewhere that you were planning to sell Beau, but more recent posts suggest that you've changed your mind. I love that pic of you and Beau! He's looking awesome!

Smithereens and Beck, the visit in Boston must had been a riot!! It's hard to believe that with all the work Shelley has to do that she could actually get away for a weekend.

CSA- In scimming through the posts, I saw that you have a new trainer that works well with Cheese and you! Awesome news!

Tracy from Ames, I saw somewhere that you're still on the job hunt. That's just crazy. Aren't there any vaccancies at the university? I know that they like to hire their own.

I need to stay in touch! Miss you guys!

Heyyyyy! Yes thats me you found. I am the same way with staying in touch - I fought the FB craze for so long and then found out it is a great way of keeping in touch with the just going ons of friends and all when it is hard to do it via the phone as everyone is just SO busy.

Saturday night I went out to blanket and turn out only to find Layals right teat swollen 3 times bigger than my fist and it was moving towards her belly. She does "bag up" with the phytoestrogens in the alfalfa and soy but has never had a problem and is fine on it other wise. Thinking something got clogged up... not sure. But vet had me start her on SMZs and of course, this happened the night before I left for my vaca. I was able to express a LOT of stuff out of there (luckily nothing thick and nothing smelly so I caught it early). Jill checked on her today (my step dad is feeding, etc and has been giving her the SMZs via hot water and a syringe into the mouth). Jill said that her teats are totally normal now and the tiny swelling way up in front of the teats is barely noticable and she is now eating completely fine and running around the field like a maniac. Whew.

Soooooo I am in NC right now for my week long vaca. It is SO cold - which is great b/c we are here to SKI. Everyone is saying this is the coldest winter this early so far - last year was really cold too but normally they dont have THIS much snow this early (got around 12" yesterday). Ive never seen snow like this - its crazy! Yesterday it was a high of 17 but felt like 7 with the wind chill and last night it felt like -5 with the wind chill. Since Sunday night, the snow showers have been constant and at times very heavy. We had a few lingering ones this morning but they left though the wind picked up, with up to 50mph gusts, but tomorrow and the rest of the week should be sunny and clear with highs in the 20s which is supposed to be great for skiing.

Today we went to the ski resort (Sugar Mountain) and went ice skating. I have never been ice skating, and neither has Randy. My mom used to when she was a kid, but it has been like 40 years. Our friend Scott is with us too and he says hes skated though he didnt make it 15' from the rink entrance lol.

I however took to ice skating like horse back riding - very natural and within a few mins I was really able to pick up speed and even do little spins. It was pretty cool actually and I never fell. Randy didnt fare so well and spent most of the time hanging onto the wall.

I think with my FB account that you can see my pics even if you arent signed in...maybe not - not sure. But I will embed a few and then whoever wants to can check out my page as there are a ton of pics and only more to come.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Going to bed - cant wait to get up and try my hand at skiing!

Me and The Moms

155553_1676748085753_1449009522_31721567_1666335_n.jpg

The drive up to our condo

163088_1674694314410_1449009522_31718277_7051323_n.jpg

Calf deep snow but 50' away it was over my knees!

33792_1676706564715_1449009522_31721497_632863_n.jpg

Heading out this AM

155220_1676739805546_1449009522_31721533_7733318_n.jpg

Me The Moms and Randy in front of the restaurant this AM

155873_1676740005551_1449009522_31721534_6523957_n.jpg

Boocoo, Beau looks so fab in the 2nd level photo!! Shantel, you are so beautiful in that creamy white--what a gorgeous picture. I'll have to try and find you on FB, it is such a great way to keep up with people. So many of my close friend live far away, so I really do like it.

I've had a good couple of weeks. Both my trainer and I've gotten clean changes on Rubin--it's so funny with his name, since he's Danish it is Roo-bean instead of like the sandwich. Shows will never get it. Anyhow, I'm tickled to death with the whole start of it. We are focused on the show for this weekend, and then we'll be back to work with him.

Hope everyone isn't freezing too much with this COLD weather. Glad when it gets more normal.

Sylves, so nice to see you on the board. Hope you get to move your horses home. That would be awesome and does help with the time issue.

Krazy, looks like you had a great time and I agree with PMJ, you look great in that creamy white.

PMJ, thank you. I am very proud of Beau and he is finally settling down and working and doing dressage. He's been doing dressage for 6 years now. I know I still need to work on me, I have a hard time getting my head to set back straight over my shouders, do to a severe neck injury years ago. I was hit by a drunk driver, so I do struggle w/ my position, but it's a lot better than it used to be. At least I am not forward up over his neck anymore! LOL! And my aides and timing are much better. Always a work in progress, I love it!

No, shows will never get Rubin's name right. I usually spell things out. Like Beau's name is Beaucoup and it is not pronounced Boocoo, it's pronounced like the french say it "bow, like bow and arrow, and then coo" so I spell it like that in (Bow Coo) on show entries and sometimes they get it right! LOL!

Thanks everyone. Pamela, def needs pics of you on Rubin. Boo, you are doing a great job with Beau. Cant wait to see more pics.

Skiing was a major success also. I found it quite easy actually. Its like the default position is very similar to your position on a horse, toes slightly in, heels slightly out, soft natural bend in the knee, soft and relaxed but still engaged in the core with the upper body aligned over your feet. We took a lesson and the teacher kept saying he could tell I was going to do very well with skiing. I was the one he used to demo for my mom, Randy and Scott. We spent the next few hours on the bunny slope where we took our lesson. It has a conveyer belt lift which is interesting to get on but again not hard. About three hours later, me and Randy were able to pick up some speed. Scott kept bailing and falling to stop and Mom did really well esp for not doing it for over 25 years and her knee bothering her.

We had lift tickets until 10pm so we left to get dinner and came back and went night skiing. A little different as the snow was more slick and had some ice on it... but we picked it back up again. Mom only did it got a few mins but her knee hurt so she sat out. Scott finally learned how to stop without falling. Randy and I were going to go on to the next slope but we wanted to wait until daylight so it wasnt so icy.

155814_1679005782194_1449009522_31725601_5619641_n.jpg

We took some video but it is taking a while to upload.

Sylves-Hi there stranger. I am jealous you get to move your horses home.

KTM-Eek snow. Don't even want to see that(don't care where it was at.) You are much braver and/or coordinated then I. Skiing is on the list of thins I should never due to being such a klutz.

PMJ-Good luck this weekend. I hear you on the names. Cheese's name was going to be Apocalyptic French Fry but most anouncers could not say apocalyptic and french fry is not so cool.

I remember why I hate winter. Highs have been in the 30s. So it has been in the 20 with the winchills in the teens when I get done work. So I haven't been to the barn much but a quick stop and check up in Cheese. I rode in a parade last weekend and froze. I spent most of the time shivering. Luckily the horse I was on was a saint. He didn't do a thing wrong with me just sitting and barely moving to tell him anything.

Good to see everyone on here! This weather is for the birds...so no riding going on here. I was supposed to got audit a Jeremy Steinberg clinic at my trainer's next weekend, and I don't know if I even want to do that in this cold!

I am on winter break...done interning for a while. I ended up bringing home cat from the last place I interned. Definitely no more cats now!

Shantel-Good for you having fun skiing...I HATE it:-) I went once and lived and vowed never to go again! Hahahahaha!

PMJ-Several times Beckham has been called Beckman...really? Does no one know who David Beckham is???

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season!

OK enough of this cold stuff. It has not been above 20 when I get done wok. I have only seen Cheese for a quick blanket change. The one nice day there was I was our tack shopping with a friend and ended up riding at her barn. I am so ready for spring.

68 here today... though the last 4 days we have had record breaking cold and then the next day, we break the new record. Over 18 hours below freezing earlier this week and a low of 18!

The horses have been wild and running around - now Rexs right hock is HUGE, right where it was swollen before his OCD surgery. UGH. His superficial digital flexor tendon on the left hind is puffy too but w/t straight and on the lunge shows nothing. Ive sweat wrapped it, gave him bute last night, just gave him 10cc banamine, something to try to get the swelling down. UGH.

Dentist is coming tomorrow though and he has a vet that travels with him so Im going to have him look at it. Le sigh.

It was about 72 here today, but last night was upper 20's.

So Annie is officially as tall as Mir. They are both 15.1 1/2h. Mir might be a hair over that and Annie might be a hair under, but they are easily within 1/2 inch of each other. She's 2 years 8.5 months, and string tests to just shy of 16h. My baby is growing up.

I've "ridden" her twice now. Just very short rides, 5 to 10 minutes, working on steering and stopping, and a bit of trot. Her trot is fabulous. Nice long stride, uphill, stretches forward, just lovely. She will take a light contact just fine, but isn't so fond of the times she turns her head and runs into the bit. She steers off the seat and stops off the voice though.

Awesome! We need pics.

So dentist came and eveyone got their teeth done. Dentist said the same thing about Rex that he did last time (back in May) "Hes 3.5 right?" Me "Nope turns 3 June 7" and then today "Hes 4 right?" Me "Nope 3.5" He is very mature for his age and is ahead of the curve in regards to his dentition. But hes shedding his caps himself and just needed a reg float/equillibration like the rest.

I did have the vet just take a look at the leg - he said that it feels like effusion in the sheath and not like a bow. He agrees that the hock and leg are likely from him running around like crazy in the field. He said if the hock doesnt go down soon, to call "The Sanctuary" in Ocala and they can use lasers to help with OCD issues instead of surgery. They also have the hydro thepary and pools and what not. So lets hope I dont have to do that. It still isnt warm/hot to touch and no tender to palpate, etc.

My new boarder is coming tomorrow. Last month Ben was confirmed to be leaving on a lease and a few days after my girlfriend called seeing if I needed a boarder. So we set everything up and she gave her 30 days and then the lady who was going to lease Ben backed out. So for now, Ben is going to have to stay out to eat and all and Bailey will be in his stall. Ive put out a post on UDBB looking for someone to help - its frusterating when you get people who are all gun ho and then back out and leave her hanging. With the "D" coming up, she just cannot afford him.

Shantel, that really sucks about Ben. Can he jump? If so, I'll ask the lesson barn my friend owns. Some of the kids there are looking for horses to buy or lease.

No pics of me on Annie. It was too dark the second night I rode her. And I've not been on her since. I really just want to get her used to a rider, and basic steering, stop, and go, and then toss her back out until next spring or fall. Just to give her tha basic idea before she gets any bigger. she can be a brat, and I would rather get to her before she figures out her strength. Right now, she seems to be very much in a wants-to-please stage.

Actually, she followed me aroudn the pasture yesterday while I picked up manure. I was out for about an hour and a half, and she followed me around the whole time. It's so nice to do that with her, since she was half-evil as a foal. She was convinced people would kill her, and wouldn't let us get within 10 feet of her or she woudl try to kill herself. Literally. No self-preservation. It was the weirdest thing.

He can jump. When we both boarded, we would jump. Nothing high or anything but hes safe over like 2'3-2'6. Please send it on. If they are looking to buy, she said $3500 but I know is super neg.

Good deal with Annie. I havent been on Rex since my lesson like 2-3 weeks ago. His hock is still puffy but no lameness, etc. Still debating on what to do. Last night he was eating a little slowly, I know it felt different after the float. But then when he finished he just started pawing and pawing his hay, all over the stall, and just kept digging and digging. Temp, pulse, and resp were all normal. I went ahead and gav ehim 10cc banamine and then he was fine. At breakfest and hay fine this morning. I dont know if he was just a little sore and/or it just felt different and he was confused or being dramatic. He only had some new growth on the buccal (cheek) of the uppers and the lingual of the lowers. He didnt need anything on the occlusal adjusted and his insciors were just smoothed, barely anything there. Who knows.

New pony is here. Had my three in the far field and they were of course all interested in the new horse. Let him settle for a bit in the stall and let him out. He trotted around, mine trotted and then Layla started them all running. That lasted like 2 mins. Then they all met over the fence. Layla did her typical squeeling/half rearing drama stuff that she does and Ben and Rex love him. Ben and Bailey (new pony) were cheek to cheek nuzzling each other over the fence. Now they are all just hanging out eating hay.

SUPPOSED to be raining... we so need it. Its so dusty and dry here. Havent seen a drop yet. Oh well.... gotta decorate the tree tonight. Got it last night and its a 7' tree, a fir, that is super full and really really nice, and it was 50% off so we got it for $30. This place was cheap but Sieverts, who does most of the trees around here, would have charged like at min $100 for it.

I will pass it along to anyone I know.

That sucks about Rex. I know Lucy will eat funny after a float that actually addresses issues, so it might just have been that.

I've been doing some stretchy work with Lucy, and she's really bending nicely for the most part. She really needs to go see the chiro, and possibly go back on GrandHA for a few months, but with losing my disability, and no one hiring over Christmas, the money just isn't there. She just seems to have more trouble taking weight behind than she used to. But then again, I've also changed the rules a bit, since she's no longer allowed to lean on my hand.

KTM hopefully Rex was just being overdramatic. The more I hear about Layla's personality the more I like her.

Shiloh that sucks about the disability and job search. Suprising no retailers where hiring. Although this year in general has been pretty bad around my area. My sister is in the midst of going for disability.Same eye problem that I have. So they shouldn't be able to deny her. The condition can't be faked and can't be fixed. So hopefully she gets it without to much hassle.

I actually got to ride yesterday. It was a whopping 35 degrees. So I hopped on bareback with Cheese's jumping bridle. I was not going to take the chance of her feeling to frisky with having two weeks off. She was actually pretty good. I can'y wait to get the new saddle fixed to my specifications. Trying to sell my other saddle is a royal pain. It is a brown dressage saddle with shorter billets. So yeah not to much interest.

I was planning to go hang out at a friend's barn today. I may just go spend some time with Cheese though. Her stall neighbor had to be put down last night. His owner is real nice. One of the few people I ever see at the barn. So I kind of just want to spend some quality time with my mare.

CSA, look into having long billets put on your Passier. It will make it easier to sell. also, does it have any kind of knee rolls? If it's completely flat, you might be hanging onto it for a while unless you're willing to let it go for like $300.

It has knee rolls but no thigh blocks. Good idea about the nillets. I'kk take it along when I take me jump saddle in the shop next month.