KrazyTBMare

Dressage Chit Chat #29

Well I don't usually post here but I got konigs for christmas (!!!!!!!! WOOHOO) so I'm officially a dressage person!!

i'm pretty sure I've posted pictures before but this is my horsey, vidalgo:

68254_139265199462630_100001374524414_173665_4035144_n.jpg

\65430_139265209462629_100001374524414_173666_3583653_n.jpg

63662_136594649729685_100001374524414_163957_4603658_n.jpg

We did training level last year, and are going to do 1st and maybe a little 2nd this coming summer!

Anyways, hopefully I will be posting more over here! I just got inspired cause of the Konigs haha

congrats!

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Layla gave me a wonderful gift of kicking me in the front of my pelvis. It wasnt a nasty kick - I turned her out and she stood there for a moment and then spun and took off bucking and kicking and caught me right on the tip of the pelvis that sticks out on the front of your stomach. Luckily it was through jeans, a sweater, thick jacket, and she has no shoes!

I did ride her today (figure if she can tear it up around the pasture and kick me, she can work!) and she was just lovely - even with like 3-4 weeks off and it being 40 degrees.

Work has been super busy - which is a good thing. Randy got me a muck bucket cart for Xmas. Total LOVE. Its the kind that you can put hay and feed and other things on it, not just the bucket.

Rexs hock is still swollen though he is NOT lame and hasnt been on it and his left SDFT is still puffy but again, no heat or lameness. The vet that is here in town that has an xray machine and an ultrasound machine STILL hasnt called me back and tomorrow it will be a week and there are no messages that she is out of town this week. This is exactly why I quit using her 4 yrs ago. At this point, it would be worth it to drive to Ocala.

A woman from my UDBB website came down from Atlanta today to look at Ben. She really likes him and it sounds like the perfect home (she would be buying). So she is going to talk to her hubby again and set up a vet check. I know it totally sucks for Sarah but with the divorce and all, it is for the best. Send good luck jingles please!

Two more days of work... hope everyone has a safe and wonderful new year.

Shantel--feel better!!!! I'm popping in for a minute then off to enjoy the wonderful warm Florida weather. We are back down to continue our work, BUT I finally have some nice photos of my boy--you can all see that yes, he does exist and I do really ride!!! So enjoy looking but please no critiques--I know what needs work. It was the first show where he started rideable, and the second day was better than the 1st but no photos day 2.

http://michaelbradtkephotography.zenfolio....f57da#h159f57da

You may have to paste the link--sorry.

Wow! Great pics! He is super nice & I love your coat!

Rexs hock is still huge - STILL no call from the vet. UGH.

The lady from ATL that came to see Ben wants to buy him so pending vet check, he is sold. Its sad but good at the same time.

Came home, 1.5 hrs late from work, to find that a hawk got into the pigeon coop and killed Madonna and then I couldnt find LW anywhere. I saw something white on the ground behind the coop (it was already dark) but thankfully it was a plastic bag. So I looked everywhere, thinking maybe she was in the barn - nope couldnt find her. So I was sitting in the tack room, sulking, and I hear feathers ruffle. So I go and find her in the far corner, up in the trusses, sitting there. She seems ok - was cleaning herself and all but wont come down. I tried to get her to come down for some seed and she looked like she wanted to but kept frantically looking all around her. Ugh.. I dont even want to know what happened to Madonna... Ricky heard screeching in the coop and found Madonna dead and the hawk trapped in the coop. Thankfully he buried her so I wouldnt have to see her.. [Me Cry]

Well after over 2 weeks of no return call and then the other vet that I called promising to return my calls and after 2, never did, and then his associate called the potential buyer of Ben and was a complete arse to her, I had to figure something else out.

Luckily my farrier told me about a vet who I knew about but in the past she never had an xray machine. So I called her but she told me she doesnt have digital and for an issue like OCD, you really need the details digital can provide. So she referred me to Dr Porter who is from UF and has a mobile clinic with all new technology and such.

So he was here this morning and yes I am right, it is a bog spavin aka boggy hock. Exam and flexions were perfect, no lameness. Xray showed radiolunancy on the distal intermediate ridge of the tibia, which it should as that is where the OCD lesion was removed. No arthritis or anything.

So he wanted to take a sample of the fluid and then also inject the joint. So when he put the needle in, bloody stuff was coming out. Turns out he had what is called hemarthosis, which is basically bleeding into the joint, likely caused from him torqueing his hock in the field being silly and causing a small tear. So he drained most of it, injected with vetalog and HA and wrapped it. Hes on bute and stall rest for 2 days.

Long term he said the only thing we may have is a cosmetic blemish. Theres no risk of it causing lameness or arthritis or limit him in any way. So yay. $550 which sucks but I am glad I know what it is, he is treated, and I have a good prognosis.

Off to get more bedding for him and return most of the coastal hubby picked up as its dusty and really moldy smelling........

Edited by KrazyTBMare

PMJ, lovely photos. Your horse is gorgeous. I don't think I know much about his history? What breed is he and how tall, how old, and where are you at with your training? He is just lovely and you look fabulous on him.

Krazy, glad Ben found a good home and Rex's hock is nothing long term.

Nothing much going on around here. Was out of town for Christmas and then my Mom was here for New years. Back to work and trying to get some riding in. Supposed to be very cold here next week. Blah!

Well the potential buyer called Sarah to say she wasnt going to buy Ben because "the vet said he needed his hocks injected." Which I cannot see her diagnosing a horse without seeing xrays. Plus the only concern the vet had was that when he moves, his fetlocks come down a little further than shed like. But she told me when I was jogging him for the flexions that the only thing that was a little iffy was the rear fetlocks. The potential buyer said that her husband didnt want a horse they had to do hock injections on????? Totally confused about that but I told Sarah everything happens for a reason.

Speaking of, I was talking to Jill a few days ago and her youngest is interested in riding again and they have been taking her old pony out. But hes like 25+ and getting stiff, etc. Jill was like yeh I could have had Ben but now that lady looks like she is going to buy him. So tonight I told her about him not selling and she was like oh sorry etc. We hung up and then 15 mins later she called back: "I told DH & DD that Ben didnt sell and now they want to come ride him and lease him." LOL Seeing as Randy is 265lbs and Ben has no problems with that as hes so stout, Jills DH could ride him no problem as hes smaller than that. So maybe tomorrow they will come over? It would be great b/c he will literally be 5 mins down the road and being taken amazing care of at Jills place. So we shall see.

Last day of stall rest for Rex today. Hes SO good. I know hes not thrilled about being kept in but he just settles in and naps and eats hay and just hangs out. I took him out to hand walk and eat rye grass today.

168191_1723646538185_1449009522_31829885_1220811_n.jpg

Still toying with the idea of doing one last round of hock injections on Layla. They last her around 6 months and shes been SO good with the hacks we have been doing but I know her RH is bothering her so we dont do much but she seems much happier and less b!tchy when I work her.... so who knows...

Boocoo-I hope you found time to ride. The cold has been a bit unbearable hear. Haven't seen aboce frozen in about a week.

KTM-Rex seems to take everything in stride. A friend a mare on stall rest and was suppose to start hand walking her. Well first time out mare rears up and takes off bucking. Now this mare was used to being pasture boarded so it really drove her bonkers. Glad to hear that Ben might be getting an even better home. Yep sometimes things happen for a reason.

The trainer who had left for maternity leave contacted me about starting back lessons. [Yay] [Yay] I was half expecting not to hear from her knowing my track record with trainers. I go through a few find one I like. Get a bit farther with Cheese's training and they leave. Rinse, wash, and repeat. So I felt like Cheese and I would get two steps ahead and the fall one behind. So now this stinking weather has to warm up.

Awesome news about the trainer situation!

Just a few other pics as I love to share:

165218_1725669108748_1449009522_31835511_2452527_n.jpg

with my girlfriend who is now boarding at my house... btw shes like 5'1!

163161_1725666308678_1449009522_31835497_7794460_n.jpg

boggy hock

167870_1725667068697_1449009522_31835501_3867184_n.jpg

Only working today and tomorrow. Boss is going skiing the rest of the week. Hope to get some things taken care of with the extra time. Also found out that Jills neighbors farrier has really nice coastal available year round for $5 a bale! So hoping to get some of that as I just cant take the waste and the nastiness of the round bales any longer.

CSA, I did get to ride on Fri. and Sat. Two very nice rides. Beau's 2nd level work is progressing nicely. Even the HI are finally on cue! Then it rained Sunday and now this week it's damp, wet and cold. So will probably be the weekend before I get to ride again. Glad your trainer called you. Hope you get some lessons in yourself!

A very good friend of mine has been diagnosed w/ advanced pancreatic cancer. The Dr.'s gave her 3 to 4 months!!!! Another close friend of my Mom & Sister in Tucson, died of cancer yesterday. He was a US Marshall and good friends with the judge that was shot and killed on Sat. in Tucson at Congreswoman Giffords meet & greet. That was such a senseless idiot thing that young man did? And to prove what? He's an idiot and mentally unstable? So kind of a crazy last couple of days!

Hope everyone else is staying warm and dry and getting some ride time in!

Digging this up.

KTM-I am looking at your pics and envying your weather then. Right now it is overcast and flurries. That is with the 8in of snow we just got dug iut of.

So I have been doing a lot of bareback riding with all the saddle issues I have going on right now. Although my AP is fixed and waiting for me to go pick it up. Now if only the weather cooperates. Well anyway I finally started sitting up straighter in the canter. Holy wow. Can definatley feel the difference. So can Cheese. She was much more relaxed and rythmical when I was sitting right. This is after years of hunching over with my shoulders/upper body. So know I know what it feels like. Now I just have to learn it in the trot.

CS, I think most of us fight the tendency to hunch! I know I do. It's mazing how much better things re when I sit up. I'm getting better bout sitting up in the SI, but the HP is still very much work in progress. I tend to look down to check my bend, nd then it ll goes downhill, literlly nd figurtively.

I did get some fbulous uphill cnter from Lucy yesterdy. I ws able to sit her down on her butt nd lmost cnter in plce, then let her go bck forwrds. The c-w trnsitions from the good led to the bd re still sticky, but the bd led to good is pretty solid. I think I really woudl benefit from good pro putting couple rides on her to sort them out, but the money isn't there with me hving lost my income. Plus, hlf the good pros round here will tke horse who is firly solid in their work, mybe could benefit from tiny bit of help with some bsic issue, but overll pretty solid just trined to ME nd MY wy of sking for something, nd insist on strting over t the trining level work. Which is gret nd wonderful if tht's truly n issue, but my mre doesn't need to spend nother solid year t trining level! I took lessons from one womn round here, nd we hd been pretty solid t first when I strted. We did one LY the entire yer I rode with her. I kept thinking I would get more out of those lessons, but it just never hppened. She wnted every little thing so perfect, nd I just couldn't feel the slight different in wht felt fine nd wht ws just tiny tiny bit better. It's not like my mre is fncy WB tht's going on to show in the big shows. I relly just wnted to lern, nd the stuff she ws trying to tech just wsn't stuff tht Lucy nd I could replicte on our own. Trotting endless circles witing for tht one slightly better moment seemed like gint wste.

Thanks so much Boocoo, Rubin is Danish by DeNoir and Dam Weltjunge by Weltmeyer. He 6 this year but very late, and he's about 16.3 now--he was 16.0 when he arrived. My trainer imported him as a 3 year old for me when my last guy let us know he really, really wanted to jump. He's been everything I could hope for. He doing great and we've been working this winter on both getting him settled into showing as he's a little hot and doing his changes, which have been coming along well. He's teething right now, so not doing much of anything for the past week or so. Our goal is to take him to the Raleigh CDI show and get to ride in the 6 year old YH class there, but just have to see how it goes. That's in June, so hopefully it will all fall in place for that. He's just going out at first, but obviously working much further than that. We just want it to be simple for him in the ring so I can get the expression out of his gaits and show him off but let him relax and learn what it's about right now. I was very lucky to be able to get him, lucky my husband's so super, and that my work travels. It's been a super winter so far. Lots of travel back and forth between home and Florida.

I'm so sorry about your friends. Cancer is such a terrible disease. So hard, and such sadness too. Take care of yourself as well. Friends are so important in our lives. I do agree with you about the shooting--so senseless.

Glad you've been getting some rides in though. I love the work at 2nd, it is so much fun.

I can't believe all the snow everyone is getting. At home (SC) we actually got 6+ inches the last big East Coast snow. It was crazy. I don't envy any of you who are stuck in it, but admire you who keep riding when it is so very cold! I'm a cold weather hater! And so very ready for spring already.

Edited by PMJ

Well PMJ he is just lovely. You will have a lot of fun with him.

My friend passed away from cancer on Tues. the 18th. It was only 3 weeks since she was diagnosed. Her daughter called me the day before the funeral and asked me to speak at her funeral. I was quite honored and it went well. Very lovely tribute to her life. She had horses, paso fino's and did parades and tricks with them. She would get them to stand w/ all 4 hooves up on a little circle platform thing. Amazing!

So we finally sold our house and have been moving for weeks it seems. Argh! I did get the horses moved the other day. Miss having them at home, but now have a nice covered arena w/ mirrors and lights. Beau continues do to well with the 2nd level work and Bobby is growing like a weed.

Our weather is so sporadic. It's in the 70's this weekend and will be in the 30's by Tuesday. Crazy, but at least now if it rains I can ride.

Off to bed, I'm beat!

Well, I rode Annie for the 4th time today, and she's going to have to be sent out. Now, I'm not a moron, I started Mir by myself, and he's doing wonderfully. Annie just rears, flings her head, and then puts her tongue over the bit. I can get her to walk forward by touching her hiney with the whip, and she will steer a little bit, once she gets over herself (she knows how to steer, she just prefers to fight than give to the pressure on her face, or to let me steer with my seat and leg). Once she settles down though, she steers fine. But today she took to rearing. And rearing. And rearing some more. Mostly little wussy stuff, but she did go up decently high a couple times. She will stop OK, when she feels like it. Not comfy booting her forwards out of the rear though, since she fights rather than giving. And I have no round pen. And I don't feel like getting killed either.

I'm sad though. I was hoping to be able to start her myself too, but it's just not worth the risk. My timing and nerve aren't what they used to be. So off she will go, hopefully this fall if things settle down with the jobless thing.

But Mir and Lucy are both doing well! Mir is figuring out to soften at the canter, and Lucy's collected canter is really coming along.

Ugh so sorry about your friend Boo. That was so sudden. Prayers for her family.

Emily, dont feel bad. I wouldnt risk it either with her. If Rex starts to do anything silly, that will be the end of it for me too. Its not worth the risk and I want to enjoy riding - not be worried or scared.

Not much going on around here.... down to 35lbs+ lost. Yay! Went out Friday for Sarah's 30th bday. It was a lot of fun. Then last night we were all hanging around at her friends house for a little "party" for her. Played some pool, sang kareoke, etc.

This coming Thursday a group of us are going to Mavricks which is a county club here but its super cool. Then on Friday we have like 3 other couples who are going to this nice new orleans type restaurant with us and then we are going to go play pool. Hurry up weekend!

Absolutely lovely weather this weekend - 70s and sunny and wonderful. Wednesday we are getting bad tstorms again though.

OH and how about I had the SAME killer pain this AM that I had Xmas Eve. Its on my right side, under my rib cage, going around through my back to my shoulder. I totally forgot that I cant eat these hot n spicy chicken wings from Publix, a local grocery. Yeh - big mistake. Its not like gas pain or anything. From my research, I believe it is my gallbladder. Now I had a CT scan of my abdomin but we didnt check the function or anything of my gallbladder. This is totally seperate from the kidney issues Im having though. But yes, almost went to the ER this morning but I remembered that I had this same pain last month and had eaten the same wings so had to suck it up for over an hour before it finally let up. I was laying on the floor, trying every position, just bawling my eyes out. Totally sucked.

Also, this last Friday I went in for my nuclear scan on my kidneys. They basically injected a radioactive dye into my veins and then used a live xray feed to see the dye uptake in my kidneys. Then, they gave me an IV dieretic and I had to lay there and watch everything flush from my kidneys to my bladder. PS - you CANT move. Its for 30 mins. And the last like 3 mins, I thought I was going to pee myself. I mean I can see my bladder is totally full and I can feel it and omg it was awful. I finally was released to go pee and then while Im peeing Im getting this crazy pain on my right side. They said it was probably my back from laying on the table but I called my urologist and he said that its not common but some people can experience pain in the kidneys when they flush them like that. Of course I did. However the test people failed to tell me that I would pee a full bladder AGAIN within like 15 mins. So Im driving down the highway, NO exits for 5 mins, about to pee myself again. I was hauling butt - got to the exit - ran into the gas station only to find the one womens bathroom occupied. Finally the lady came out and I ran in, didnt even have time to look at the seat *ICK* and had to sit down and pee a full bladder 15 mins after the first time. Then by the time I got to the chiro, I had to pee a full bladder again, 20 mins since the gas station. After that I had to go to Jills and feed her horses. When I got there, I had to pee AGAIN (25 mins later) but no one was home so I had to use a stall (ugh!). Finally, 30 mins after that, I was home, and peed for the last time - 5 times peeing with a full bladder every time in an hour and 15 mins! I lost 3 lbs like that! CRAZY.

I was able to ride Layla last Thursday - first time since having her hocks done... dont know if I posted but yes, I got her hocks done one last time. She gets about 6 months out of them and by then, Rex will be 4 and then I can focus more on him. I missed riding her and need to get back into riding shape b/c 20 mins on Rex 2 weeks ago and I was dying! But she was wonderful as usual.

Today I rode Rex for this 8th ride. He was SO good esp on the lunge - no silliness. I rode in a slightly more forward seat and it made all the difference in the world - totally able to stay with his trot, and he was getting very forward and working great b/c I was better balanced. His trot felt easy finally! He wanted to canter and I knew if I just posted a little faster he would but weve had a bit of rain last week and the ground is too slick to canter on so we didnt.

A few pics for my update...

me and Sarah Friday night - girls night for her bday

180063_1763932985321_1449009522_31894666_4409802_n.jpg

at the club/bar

167135_1763939545485_1449009522_31894692_3500846_n.jpg

Layla at the vet clinic before her injections - shes lost her muscle but is obviously enjoy her break as her belly is very round - she was offended that I was calling her fat

179271_1757037732944_1449009522_31881623_771559_n.jpg

I only feel bad because it worries me for how she might be in the future. She's a tough little filly, in some ways more difficult than her mom. Lucy just gets flustered, but she still WANTS to do what is asked. Annie sometimes just has no desire. I'm hoping she grows out of it to some extent. I would hate to have to sell her.

I'll still work with her, just on the ground. I'll get her ground driving and going for walks and such, and then hopefully send her out this fall. She already bathes and clips and everything else. And I'm not in a hurry with her at all.

OK, I'm in need of some major fingers crossed!

For those who don't know, I have a third interview for a job in NC. We fly up there next weekend to check out the area and for the interview. I lost my income back around Thanksgiving, and this job sounds like it would be an excellent fit. So think good thoughts! Hubby and I are very excited about the possibility of leaving FL.

Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully the weather is nice during your trip.

I think Annie will grow out of it. Cheese was horrible for any slow flat work. The more she understands it relaxes the better she is getting about things.