Tazzin

Mountain Lion Attacking Horses - 3 Attacks Now

Is that normal behavior for a mtn. lion to attack like that? Would dogs be a deterrent?

Glad you got Psaint to a safe place.

Had a girlfriend have problems with a cougar several years ago. Game Warden tried to tell her there weren't any in our area...ya what ever....thats why another friend that lives a mile away put her car in the ditch missing a mother and her two kittens running across the road. Ever hear a cougar scream.....scarry as heck. Glad you have him some were safe and sorry your BO's mare got hurt. Hopefully they will catch him/her soon.

Wow.....sure hope they get that mountain lion captured real soon and get it outta there. Up in the mountains where I live there have been quite a few mtn lions attack horses in the last 6 to 8 years. Glad to hear Psaint is safe and comfy but feel bad for the other horses.

Aw, heck. [bang Head]

I hope your BO is being very safe. I hate to say it, but I'd probably sleep through the whole thing if I didn't stay up all night.

Glad you got Boo moved! Prayers that they catch this beast and stop it! Now that they know what it is it should be easier to track it. It's obviously found a place it likes to come back to so hopefully someone will be waiting for it!

Good thoughts for BO's mare!

I am sure Boo thinks he is on a tropical vacation with all that pampering! [Crazy]

Charleybarleo, you're right about that Cougar scream. It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!!

Tazzin, I'm sorry to hear there has been another attack. I didn't really think the scratches were from a bear. I'm just glad you know what you are dealing with now & that Psaint is safely on vacation ;)

Keep us posted.

Here is one of the more serious lacerations on Kinsport. my barn owner's mare.

IMG_2044.jpg

I got up super early and went and took off Boo's bandage as instructed by the vet. I swear to God there is much less swelling in that suspensory, is that possible so soon, or is it because it was tightly bandaged? [Question] Guess I'll find out when I take him for his first walk after work.

Bad think about his Taj Majal vacation home is it is much farther away. [Crazy]

IMO, this is not normal behavior for a cat. Now over across the highway, against the foothills, I know the Gansberg Ranch loses a foal now and again to a cat, and Fish and Game sends a hunter to kill a cat, but a foal is understandable prey for a cat... not a full grown horse!! [shocked]

BTW, this is the only 'cat' Psaint is in danger from at his temporary home

kittyhay.jpg

Is that normal behavior for a mtn. lion to attack like that? Would dogs be a deterrent?

Not really unless the cat is sick/old or can't find any other smaller prey around. Otherwise they generally don't try to attack horses. They will go after foals and calves.

As for why the cougar didn't go after the sick horse in a pen, likely because it's closer to the barns/people.

Dogs will definitely chase a cougar away. Here's a scary story for you. My BO's daughter (who lives west of us nearer to the mountains) was painting the front door of her house, had her IPod on, when she hears her dogs start to growl. She turned around to give them heck figuring they were probably barking at a deer, as she turns around she sees a cougar about 6 FEET away all crouched down. The dogs chased it off. She was VERY lucky she had the dogs there with her. Cats are sneaky though and it's pretty amazing it got that close withoug the dogs noticing (they were napping on the porch).

Ever hear a cougar scream.....scarry as heck.

Very VERY creepy. I've only heard it once and I'd be ok with not hearing it again!!

[Huggy] So glad you got Psaint to a safe place, I hope he enjoys his time at the Horsey Hilton! :grin: Prayers for your barn owner and her horse, that is just so scary! [Angel] [Huggy]

BTW, this is the only 'cat' Psaint is in danger from at his temporary home

kittyhay.jpg

AWWW! It's so cutesy wootsey sweetsy weetsy! I just wanna cuddle it!

Seriously, adorable kitty. You can tell it is just a most vicious predator. Psaint better watch his back with that beast around.

My Mare was attacked by a cougar when she was a yearling..... The picture is after two surgeries to fix what it had done. They figure she was lying/standing under a tree and it dropped down onto her and then she booked it outta there. She used to pee out of two holes, it was kinda gross.

Edited by Wonderish

Man Tazzin I'm so sorry for you and the BO! That's just awful. Bears and Mtn. Lions are thankfully not something I've ever had to worry about. You guys don't have tigers too do you?? (Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!) Sorry.

Lots and lots of good thoughts that they capture the critter soon!

How scary!!! You better believe I would have loaded mine up and been going any other direction....

I'm glad Psaint it okay and will pray for a compete and speedy recovery for the other two horses. Please keep us updated, okay Taz?

I'm to am very glad Psaint is convalesing at the horsey hilton, safe and sound. [Huggy] I hope they get the cat.

Scary stuff those cats. We had one that works the ridge we live on. He got a hold of my good mare when she was a coming two year old. You could see the marks on her hips from his claws on both sides. The prints in the pasture tells the tale of the cat hitting Janie and then the both of them booking it across the field. Smoochie fell on a rock outcropping and cut her leg and shoulder. They figured it was a young cat by his inexperience going after such large animals. He also got my good aussie Merle. He ran my pony mare and yearling at the time through a fence, she had ripped her eyelid and the colt had a good gash on the meaty part of his forearm. When I heard it scream.....buhahahah. It's creepy for sure.

Wow how scary. I'm glad you got your horse to a safer place for the moment. I haven't been around much but what happened to Psaint??

Glad they figured out what is doing all this. Should make it easier to be caught.

We need pics of Boo in the hilton! [bat Eyelashes]

BTW, just from MY experience, I think the swelling COULD go down that much just from the pressure of the wrap. It did on my mare. But I'm no vet.

Good luck Tazzin. Please keep us updated. [Huggy]

Jeez.....why won't Game and Fish own up to the fact that lions are out there, even in places where they aren't supposed to be.

We've had 2 attacks over the years here. One was my mule, Tony, the other was on Kicker, one of our horses. 2 years apart.

Tony had claw marks on the points of his hips, he was 15.1. Kicker had claw marks on his hind quarters, he was 15 hands.

Sent pictures to Game and Fish both times and they vehemently denied any big cats in our area. The marks were definately from a large cat and , too high and wide to be a bobcat.

Why won't the Game and Fish department just admit that they're out there? :rolleye0014:

Glad you got Psaint moved and hopefully that cat will be caught or destroyed soon, before he actually succeeds in bringing a horse down.

Tazzin, I'm not sure where you're located in Nor Cal but I'm here too and would be happy to put your boy up for a bit if you need it. It's more like motel 6 accommodations comparatively speaking but I could help you walk him etc. if you need it. I'll send you a p.m. -Cat

Hugs! Glad he's in the horsey hilton.. and id be on the fish and game wardens like flys on poop until they got the kittys... or having my own "kitty hunting campout with a BFG".. lol

Tazzin, I hope the horses heal up fine and they get that cat.

Rattusrat, when I was growing up in SW Arkansas, we had a mountain lion (we called it a panther) that would come through where our farm was about every month or so. We'd see it's tracks and it got one of my grandpa's young pigs once. But the state Fish and Game Commission would only say that there weren't any in Arkansas although we showed the tracks to the local game warden and he agreed with us that it was lion tracks. I saw one once in the Red River bottoms crossing a road in front of me as a teenager and another about 10 years ago in the ArTex hills east of Texarkana. I don't know why the state insists that there aren't any.

ETA- My great grandfather killed one about 1900 in SW Arkansas after it killed and ate a little girl. That one was supposedly not there either.

Edited by Willy McCoy

Wonderish, that is one amazing scar!

I can't believe nobody else commented on it. Did you guys see that?!

Wonderish, that is one amazing scar!

I can't believe nobody else commented on it. Did you guys see that?!

Er... thanks!! :-D She can have one more surgery on it for cosmetics, but its not worth it...

No foals for her tho.

Tazz, I hope Boo continues to recover in his horsie Hilton.

Since they outlawed hunting mountain lions they keep getting bolder and less afraid of dogs. The paid hunter that came to kill the cougar in my area said that the older cats remember when dogs were used to chase and tree the cats for the hunters. So it is the younger ones that have no fear of dogs or humans that attack. The younger ones like to "play" and will pounce on and maim livestock for fun even when they have full bellies and extra food cached away. One two year old male cougar tore up or killed half of the neighbors sheep, came by my house and killed ten outside cats (with in 6-8 feet of the house).Wandered down the road and jumped through the top of a dutch door and clawed up some minis inside their barn. With in about 2 hours and our houses are about a mile apart as the crow flies!