Tazzin

Mountain Lion Attacking Horses - 3 Attacks Now

Psaint had stem cells injected into his injured suspensory ligament today. If you remember, I think he got the injury being spooked by a bear.

This horse lives at the next property from where Psaint is. The vet's office told me about this and that they think it was a bear. It could very well be a bear. The leg is bandaged and stitched.

0817101612a1.jpg

So what if the bear was not startled and being defensive? What if it is aggressive towards horses? I was told 3 days ago that there's another bear in this area.

I am done with bears. Done. I asked this victim to request a depredation permit.

ETA this is an older horse and I suspect it may have Cushings, hense the long fur.

Edited by Tazzin

Jingles for you all immediately! If you want, call me. I'm at home and in for the evening as we have some storms moving into the area.

How is this horse doing?

It was nickering for its dinner which was a good sign. It's a much older horse, but very friendly and kind. Broke my heart to see it so injured. It walked easily despite the bandage. They had brought grain and molasses to give it (her, I think) her antibiotics and bute.

What if Psaint were cut up by a bear? [Me Cry] I'm not going to sleep until it is killed. [surrender] I asked the Game Warden (who is my neighbor) to go and look, he is on duty tomorrow.

I asked Hubby to put our RV down there and give me a rifle. I was summarily refused. :indifferent:

IMO, a cat would have killed this older weaker horse, or gone for the neck or underbelly. Coyotes would have made more noise. A Bobcat isn't big enough to do that much damage. The horse is in a large pasture with 3 other horses. I think it went into the thick/tall willows for a drink and startled the bear, which reacted by striking out. There are superficial scratches on the horse's nose as well.

Wow! poor horse. Be careful around there! I hope someone checked the ground in the area where the horse was hurt to see if there were any tracks. Keep us posted!

Tazzin, if the bear is not caught soon, do you want to move Psaint up to my house until it is? With the panels, I can give him any size from 12x12 to anything larger (in 12' increments). I promise no bears!

Tazzin, if the bear is not caught soon, do you want to move Psaint up to my house until it is? With the panels, I can give him any size from 12x12 to anything larger (in 12' increments). I promise no bears!

You are too kind. [Huggy] I did consider moving him and there are several places locally (Gardnerville) where I know I could keep him for the few days it would take to trap the bear.

Until things happen tomorrow, it's just going to be a bad night......

Wouldn't this just happen when Jay is headed the opposite direction b/c I know he'd move the RV down there for you! He'd probably camp out with Psaint in a sleeping bag with his 44, too.

Now I'm going to worry about you worrying about Psaint.

QM is a great friend! [Huggy] [Not Worthy]

Scary stuff..I'm sure he'll be fine. He is a nice big strong boy and I really think a bear would leave him alone as he is a strong horse. More than likely he may have went after the other horse because he was old and slow.

Here's the thing: Is there anything you can actually DO right now? If not, the worrying isn't going to get you anywhere and is in fact going to make things worse. You need to try to let it go.

Easier said than done, of course. But do your best. Watch a good movie, take some Xanax to help you sleep, whatever.

I'm jingling for you! I hope for a good update tomorrow.

[Huggy]

Hopefully you were able to get some sleep last night. This bear seems to be getting too close for comfort. After reading the news about people getting attacked by that killer bear it freaks me out. You can move Psaint to my place. I have an extra stall and can guarantee no bears around my area. (Although it is 1000+ miles away!)

QM is a great friend! [Huggy] [Not Worthy]

Yes she is. And so are all of you, thank you for your comfort and support [Huggy]

Tazzin, that just sucks! Glad Boo is OK.

One thing that I've been reading on another board is about the Game Ready icing system, and was wondering if that would help for Boo. They're expensive, but from some of the things I've read they really work.

Tazzin, that just sucks! Glad Boo is OK.

One thing that I've been reading on another board is about the Game Ready icing system, and was wondering if that would help for Boo. They're expensive, but from some of the things I've read they really work.

If I had the $$ we would have one in an instant. [Not Worthy] LynneHall was telling me about someone she knows who ran a string of racehorses. His vet bills were around $90k a year. He bought a Game Ready and the vet bills went down to $30k.

If you go to AHAs website and follow the links to Candian Nationals, which are going on right now, the first "Daily update" page shows a horse being treated with one.

I will try a link - it's the third pic down

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competitions/...rounds/Vol1.asp

I have heard there is one to rent in my area, but I just don't have the $. :indifferent:

I have heard there is one to rent in my area, but I just don't have the $. :indifferent:

Yea.. if you go to the Game Ready website it's $400 a month to rent the entire kit from them. Not too bad considering the kit is $4400.

Get what you mean though about not having the spare $$

That's scary. I hope they figure something out. Are there any other deterrant methods that can be used? Or precautions that can be taken? When we were dealing with cougar attacks nearish to us plus the one we saw at Phurgus', we changed our turnout schedule, added lights, noise, etc. I don't know much about bears...but is there anything like that that can be done?

[shocked] Oh Wow! Poor old guy, I hope he heals quick. I've never really thought of bears going after horses. Don't blame you for wanting to camp out and wait for it to show again. Hopefully the officials will help out and get rid of them. [Huggy]

EEK! That IS scary! Bless your heart with all the worrying! Best wishes that the bear is caught and the horse heals!

[Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy]

ouch poor old horse. glad that she? is going to be ok.

Bears YUCK. glad that boo was not hurt like that. hubby would gladely come over there and help you sit and wait for that bear just to get a shot at it.(he has always wanted to go bear hunting). He would do it, just because he loves boo.

Hope your night went ok and no bears. Hope they get him soon. A bear that close needs to be taken care of.

Yikes! Poor pony!

Are you sure that it's not a cougar? When you mentioned the scratches on it's nose I instantly thought cougar. From what I've heard they'll grab the horse by it's nose with it's claws. If it was a bear and the horse just startled it, then I doubt you'll end up with another injury. Bears would generally rather run away than attack something, they generally only do when they feel really threatened or cornered. Unless a bear or cougar is sick they generally won't go after a horse, they're too big. If they're sick, they'll try it. Or if the horse is sick or something small like a pony.

Whatever it is, I hope somebody "deals" with it sooner than later. It's obviously too close and getting comfortable with the "goings on" around there.

Update - It is a mountain lion.

It attacked my barn owner's mare last night. About 50 yards from my horse [surrender] [shocked] [Me Cry]

The mare will be okay. It jumped on her back and raked her rump with its claws as it fell off. It got her underbelly near her teats, and the inside of her haunch, 1 foot below the vulva. She's quite sore, but happy and eating.

Psaint is a-visitin' over at the Cutter Ridge Ranch in Nevada, in a fully indoor facility, in a stall, all safe from wild animals. He thinks he's in horsey heaven. they have a fly mist system, so no flies in there [Crazy]

My barn owner is sleeping in her camper in the pasture near all her horses. If it goes on again tomorrow I will take a bottle of wine and go stay there too.

Just got a call, the Fish and Game trapper/hunter and his hunting dogs will arrive in the morning.

Big cats don't usually go after horses. Especially 2 different horses 2 nights in a row. Why didn't it go after the already injured, weakened one that was penned up? It's gone for horses in large pastures both times, not penned ones. Usually they don't go after horses at all unless they are desparate.

I would rather Psaint be at home. He has been prescribed a strict hand walking regimen that I really want to stick to, as rehabbing is essential to stem cell therapy success. My barn owner will help walk him and we will trade barn chores. Have I mentioned how much I love my barn owner? [Huggy] I am so upset her mare was injured. BTW the mare is Val's mom, if you remember Val [smiley Wavey]

I really didn't need this, and nothing even happened to me!!

You've been there before! I remember that barn.

Hugs to Laura and here's hoping that the cat stays away tonight.

You've been there before! I remember that barn.

Hugs to Laura and here's hoping that the cat stays away tonight.

Yes, that's the place I went to ride over the winter and to bathe with hot water and dry under big heaters [Not Worthy] I can only afford to keep him there for a few days and they are making me a heck of a deal as it is. The trainer there is at AHA Canadian Nationals so the stall is paid for. [smiley Wavey]