Sign in to follow this  
Clippers

Does Your Western Saddle Fit Just Right?

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a saddle that doesn't leave dry spots at the withers on my quarterhorse mare. Does anyone else struggle with this or does most everyone elses fit just right? I'm also trying to get her to put on a little weight to fill her out more, thinking it might help, but I think most of the problem is that she's got a short back.

Edited by Clippers

You aren't alone. I'm have the same problem with my horse. I'm using my old, but like new, barrel saddle on him and noticed the other day when I untacked him 2 big dry patches on either side of his wither. (He is just starting to be ridden and this is the first time I've gotten him sweaty) I was using just a regular fleece pad. The next day I tried a Professionals Choice gel pad that someone gave me and the dry spots were much smaller, maybe the size of a quarter. I'm still concerned about the fit of the saddle and wonder if there is anything else I could try. I love my saddle and paid a lot of money for it years ago, would hate to get rid of it. I'm thinking of contacting the manufacturer to see if I can send it back and have them 'adjust' it.

I might have to try a different pad myself. I'm gonna try a different cinch also, the dang saddle wants to creep forward all the time. If neither of those work I'll try a different horse. Just kidding.

the Corrector Pad

I used to have saddle fitting issues, and wanted to get it just perfect. So I bought one of these pads. Expensive yes, but well made, and makes my saddle fit perfectly! It has saved me hundreds of dollars in new saddles.

I like it so much that when my horse went for training I insisted the trainer use it with her saddle (She is going to buy one now). Perfect sweat marks every time, no soreness, no slipping, no girth adjustments while trail riding. Mine still looks great after 4 years, so it's well made. I called Len on the phone since he is local to me, and he came out and demonstrated the pad, he even rode my horse so I could watch how it worked. He answers his own phone, and is so helpful. Len Brown is the man that developed the Ortho Flex saddle but sold that company. He saw the need for a pad that would allow saddles actually fit horses, and it does just that. My old saddle and this pad work very well with my new MFT, and the set up gives him plenty of shoulder space.

His website is a mess, but I sent the link for western products up top. You can look though all his information here: http://thecorrector.net

If your thinking about one, just call him on the phone. He will be able to help you find out exactly what you need for your size saddle.

Edited by Athenah

Since the horse's back is always changing, I don't think you'll ever have that perfect fit. Instead, you should work on a comfortable fit for you and the horse.

You might be using the wrong size girth. Measure your horse where your girth would go, in back of legs up to withers. It will be at a slant. Then take your measurement and divide it by 2, then subtract 3.

Example

72inches around divide by 2 = 36 - 3 = 33 so you would round up to next number 34 That is the size you need.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a saddle that doesn't leave dry spots at the withers on my quarterhorse mare. Does anyone else struggle with this or does most everyone elses fit just right? I'm also trying to get her to put on a little weight to fill her out more, thinking it might help, but I think most of the problem is that she's got a short back.

I found one. I ride in Clinton Andersons Aussie saddle. A friend of mine who is a barrel racer has ran barrels in hers for the last 5 years & said she won't use any other saddle because it fit all 3 horse's she ran. She always runs in the 1-D with her horse's & 95% of the time draws a check. So I tried one. It is a great saddle. No dry spots & it fits my horse's to a T. As far as barrel racing in it, it is the best. I am more balanced & feel more secure than other barrel saddles I have ran in. It is quality made as well. Martin makes Clinton's saddles.

Hi! I had a hard time finding a saddle that fit my appendix gelding right, finally found one but I wish I had tried the corrector pad first. I checked out the website - yep, it's a mess [shocked] But I've since talked to a couple of people who have them and won't ever be without them! I'd try a different pad first, IMHO. Good luck!

Edited by kbailey

Pay more attention to the dirt pattern on your saddle pad then the sweat pattern. If a horse has had any soft tissue damage in an area from an ill fitting saddle or injury (most have), it may never sweat evenly in that area again.

Pay more attention to the dirt pattern on your saddle pad then the sweat pattern. If a horse has had any soft tissue damage in an area from an ill fitting saddle or injury (most have), it may never sweat evenly in that area again.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!! [smiley Wavey] [Yay] Miss you. Snickers sends hugs. Call me when you have a minute.

Hugs

OK [smiley Wavey] [Yay] I miss you!!! I was in a bad accident. My phone ws crushed and I lost all my phone numbers. Send me a message with your number, and I will call you in a few days.

OK [smiley Wavey] [Yay] I miss you!!! I was in a bad accident. My phone ws crushed and I lost all my phone numbers. Send me a message with your number, and I will call you in a few days.

I just sent you a pm. I was going to go to bed & something told me to check the other forums. Glad I listened. I am so sorry. I hope your ok [Huggy] I will talk to you soon.

I've had great results with the Ortho Flex saddle pads. I have an English style that I use under my bareback pad for additional cushioning and a Western style for my saddle. The air pad system and shims allow my saddle to continue to fit both of my Tennessee Walking Horse mares. Yes the pad is expensive but it shows very little wear after four years of riding.

I've been having the same problem too... I'm about to buy a new saddle, I just bought one back in the spring, and it doesn't fit my gelding.

I've tried different pads, moving the saddle back, etc and I still get dry spots behind the shoulder blades. *sigh*

Its frustrating to say the least, I sold my saddle and I'm borrowing one until I can find one that will fit better and that I can afford. I would like a used one, but they're hard to find. Oh well, one of these days!

I had the hardest time finding a saddle, ended up taking my horse to a saddle fitter and was told I needed a saddle with a gullet of 7" and wider. And those are hard to find.

But somehow I ended up finding the brand I wanted (tod slone), my seat size(14-14.5" which are hard to find too), and a 7" gullet saddle on EBAY. Out of all places. Bought it site unseen and it fits my horse amazingly!! Sooo glad I bought it!

I too am having problems with my 4 yo. The Martin Saddlery is the only one I found who makes a 7, 7.5 inch gullet. What I wanted was a McCall Ladies Wade but they said it would not fit my horse and recommended Martins.

Page 20 of January 2011 of Western Horseman has info on the Corrector pad and Len Brown's new line of saddles that fit as well. Good to see him advertising.

I use to ride horses for a lady that used Corrector pads. I hated that pad it was heavy and even though the saddle seemed to fit the horses pertty well with that pad they always had dry spots on there withers. Used a wool Todd Slone pad with the same saddle and no dry spots..

I'm not sure what kind of riding you do, but I mainly do trail riding and I im in love with roping saddles. They fit very well on all my horses and most are very well made saddles. Some have a higher seat in the back and I like that as well..makes me feel more secure in the saddle. And I believe both of mine are full QH bars. Just a thought when looking for another saddle! Good luck!

Edited by wjp_05

I've settled on a saddle { I bought a used roping saddle } and am now trying to find the right saddle pad. There are so many options out there for pads, its hard to narrow it down. I'm just not sold on the Corrector yet. Thanks for all the posts, they've been very helpful.

I have had the worst time finding a saddle that would fit my gelding. Mainly because his back is wide but also has what I call his dorsal fin for a wither. Lol I have been through so many saddles trying to find one that wouldn't leave dry marks on both sides if his withers I could open a saddle store with as many saddles I have. I finally tried a friends Tod Bergens Reining Saddle. When I first sat on it on her horse all I could do was pray that it would fit my gelding because it was the absolute most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. She was planning to sell it since her lease was up on the horse she was riding. We put it on Indy and checked for initial fit. Seemed to fit him to a T. We then headed out for a ride so I could really know for sure. After a couple hours in the saddle we get back to the ranch and I untack him. I couldn't believe my eyes. He had the greatest, even sweat marks. I almost cried. I LOVE my saddle.I use a SMX saddle pad mostly.