Sign in to follow this  
Wild Rose

Saddle Ideas Needed

Anyone got any ideas? I need a saddle for Jedi. He's 12.2 hands and probably Hackney and Arabian...maybe. He just looks like he could be that. It should be something lighter weight, and small enough for him, yet have at least a 14" seat for me. I think I can fit into a 14" seat! :ashamed0002:

I was thinking of synthetic to keep the weight down. I don't want a treeless, I don't think. I've just heard that unless you have great balance, a treeless is not that good.

What about an Abetta? Jedi has a straight back...not much curve. The smaller saddles I HAVE tried seem to rock forward too much. I think the saddles had too much curve (rock) in them for his straight back.

Even though he's small his back is wide. I measured with templates I found online and he takes a wide! Yet, I don't know if he'd need a large gullet width. His back is short, too. It's 18" inches from where the saddle should sit in front to his last rib.

Guess I COULD ride bareback, but, I'd probably fall off. [Crazy]

How about synthetic with an arab tree? That's what his back sounds like to me- narrower right behind the shoulder, flaring fast to a wide, flat loin. An arab saddle will have a shorter, usually round skirt. You might save an inch or two in skirt length & a few more ounces in weight by getting an endurance style.

Thanks, rodentra. I have been considering a Arab tree, along with lots of other things. I'll look into that some more.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I want Western, too.

Here is the little guy. I should get a better picture of his back, though.

100_2344.jpg

100_3160.jpg

He's overweight right now, but his ideal weight is around 700 lbs, I would think. He's over that now.

Edited by Wild Rose

He is build just like king only King He's a hand bigger but the body is the same and my wide tree stubben vsb(32.5) fits him perfect!! And he is able to move his shoulders really nice to get that "front action" and I pick'd it up on ebay too and its in perfect 'broken-in shape" there are quite a few out there! My CircleY Reiner with the rounded skirts fits him too. but I'd go with a dressage or "outback" or even a barrel saddle all have small skirts and are light weight.

I love Jedi so much. Send him here, Jetta needs a friend!

I've been trying out an Australian saddle on Jetta. I love it

You could always try a natural ride.. not quite bareback, but you dont have to worry bout seat size.. and still have the security of a small tree and stirrups..

100_2081.jpg

Thanks, guys. Farm Girl, I'll check out that site.

Epona, I had an austrailian saddle once, for Rosie, but it was really heavy and didn't fit her right anyway. I sold it. I wonder if they make synthetic aussy saddles? I doubt it.

kitten kat, I've never seen those saddles. Do you have a website, or anything?

I have been finding some saddles online, and in my catalogs, but there is always something that won't work. Like at KV Vet, there is a Wintec saddle that is only 19 inches long. I think that would work for Jedi, but the seat is only 13 inches. I was going to call them and see if they can get that saddle in a 14" seat, but I haven't yet.

Looks like I'll be waiting till spring now, anyway. The weather is getting nasty. Maybe I'll get some weight of the little guy by then, too.

My recommendation would be a circly y barrel saddle it works great for my gaited boy who has a short back and its very light you can find the good older ones for probably under 700. Good luck with your search!

http://naturalride.com/

My mom has one and I have one, we love them.. and I am really truely not a saddle rider, in fact I dont ahve as good a seat with a saddle as I do bareback..

If you can look on e-bay and such, there are always one or two for sale.. I got lucky and found both mine and my moms for about 30 each.. I then modified mine some, I added rings for saddle bags, and rings for a crupper.. not that it needs it, just makes it easier to keep saddle bags in place.. It has never slid foward or backward.. and personally I really dont notice I ride it anymore.. and Daniel is a very responsive horse!

Thanks for the additional tips. I might not get serious about getting a saddle this Fall, afterall, though. Spring would be better since maybe I can get some weight off the little porker!

LOL I just try to keep weight on my boy!! man those legs.. pretty mover.. though I think driving would really suit him very well, with that movement.. man the looks..

Thanks, kitten kat. Yes, you should see him move, when he gets going! And he stays in that trot for quite awhile. He's fast, and picks up his front legs really high. That's why I'm thinking maybe he has some Hackney in him. I should really see if I can get a video of him running.

I have thought about training him to drive. Who knows, maybe he's been driven already. I've only had him a little over a year.

Compare:

Hackney photo from a magazine:

Hackney0001.jpg

Jedi

100_3160.jpg

Do you know how to ground drive?? It wouldnt ake long to see if he has the idea, if he ground drives, then find someone who will lend you a harness for a day, see how he feels it out.. if he isnt upset, have oneone put waight on the tugs, (not attached to anything solid, just a person leaning back on them) if he still walks out and does what is told, then try a small harrow or something.. progressivly finding where he knows what he is doing.. if he can be driven, I bet you would have a blast with him.. man I can just picture him in harness.. Wowza