kitten-kat

Very Old Rather Neglected Saddle..

Ok here goes, I finally got the saddle my Mom has been promising to send to me.. it was stuck in a box in a storage unit for probably 10 years since I last used it, I didnt put it in the box, but it ended up there.. Anyway I can say for sure it is older that either me, or my Mom, and she is 57. He old roomie gave it to her, some years ago, and she had it as a kid, and she is in her 70's, she said it was her Dad's.. Anyway it doesnt have any makers mark so far as I can tell, when I used it it was fairly comfy, but in better repair.. there is some stitching I am going to have to work out, but nothing I cant figure.. just going to use a heavy waxed thread to restitch it after i clean and oil it..

So here are the untouched pictures.. if you look close in them, where the diamond edges are, used to be silver diamonds.. dunno who took them off, but it was before i ever saw it.. a friend of mine saw it and gave me the breast collar pieve which i am going to clean and hopefully restore..

If anyone has any ideas on it, I would love them.. it is a fairly light saddle and when I can I will get the pictures of the tree where it is visable most of its parts seem in working order, but some do need some replacement, or repair.. it was ment for a man with very long leggs, as the leathers for the stirrups are way to long for my legs, where I sit on it, there is still almost a foot of leather to adjust down.. has a wide twist, and a full qh bar.. I am hoping to get it to using condition, and see if it fits Daniel, at least for the kids to do WP in it.. I want to find where ic an get the diamonds to put in place where the old ones are so it matches the brest collar..

Any insight would be awesome.. looks like it got laid in the mud.

100_1681.jpg

100_1678.jpg

100_1677.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1693.jpg

100_1694.jpg

Thankyou in advance.

Edited by kitten-kat

Although there are no maker's marks, I'm intrigued by the closeness of the stitches. Bona Allen had close, tight stitches. If you have the time, look at the flat heads of any rivets for a stamped BA. Bona Allen's sold through Sears carried marks like that, as Sears wouldn't allow the brand name to show.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

I looked at all the rivits I could find, 8, 2 in each stirrup, and 2 on the keeper between the front and rear D rings. and there are no markings.. is there anywhere else to look??

This company does antique saddle appraisals, they charge $25 but do it from photos.

http://www.forttumbleweed.net/relics.html

You can also post it here and see if anyone will appraise it for you. It is free.

http://www.instappraisal.com/node/add/appraisal

This guy appraises saddles on the antique roadshow. I would shoot him an email asking if he would appraise it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraiser...ford_bruce.html

It is a great saddle and definitely worth something even if marks are not obvious. A real appraiser can tell exactly what it is just by looking at the workmanship.

Please let us know if you find out anything... I am now quite curious.

Well I sent the saddle to a saddle repair place, and these are the current Not finished photos.. He is allowing me to make payments, so he has a lot of time to work on it.. Anyway, he used fiebings leather die, and care products to bring the black back.. and is going to reattach where the bottom skirting attached to the tree, he is replacing all the strings, and rosetts, and is going to in the long run reset all or at least most of the nickle diamonds that were on the saddle orriginally.. would love to kick the idiot who pulled them off.. He was impressed the fleece underside was orriginal, and said it is one of the oldest saddles with a verifiable age that he has worked on.. soo without further adu, here is the not quite finished saddle.. What do you all think?

100_2302.jpg

100_2301.jpg

It seriously looks like my old Bona Allen saddle. Mine is a round skirt around early 60's. I did have a saddle maker go over it to check it for safety. Value....about 250.00. Yours restored should be worth more tho. Mine is also black but no bling!

I wish you didn't have all those straps and junk in the way of a good view of the saddle. I think I have found your saddle in a 1959 Bona Allen catalog. It was called The "State Fair" Outfit. The one in the catalog has light-colored strings (probably white). I'll send you a PM.