Sign in to follow this  
MyNova

Favorite Recipe?

I'm a Stay at Home Mom, and quite honestly, tired of eating the same things over and over. I can't be the only one who feels this way, so I thought it might be nice to start a recipe thread. Please post your favorite recipe, I'm dying for new ideas! [Jump]

Edited by MyNova

Hmmmmmm.

I like to make good old baked chicken! Buy chicken breast halves, bone in, skin on. Rinse and then pay dry. Seperate the skin from the meat, but dont fully remove it. Drizzle meat with olive oil (I use veggie oil as well) and salt and pepper really well. Bake at 350 for 40ish minutes and then pull them out. Cover with aluminum foil for about ten mins to allow juices to settle back in.

Eat like that, or dice up and use in different recipes.

Another yummy one is salmon filets. We used blackened seasoning and mayo mixed together with a splash of lemon juice and then bake at 400 for about ten minutes, until flaky.

I'm making crunchy onion chicken tenders tonight. Crunch up some french's crispy onions, add salt and pepper. Dip chicken tenders into beat egg mix, then dip in the onions, coating well. Bake tenders at 350 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Eggplant parmesan is yummy and easy! Slice 1-2 eggplants into 1/2" thick slices and line on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (i use Pam cooking spray, butter flavored and spray them really well)salt and pepper heavily. Bake at 375 until tender (I like them really tender, so I usually bake 20-25 minutes) Remove from oven, and spoon on tomato sauce, top with mozzarella, then pop them back into the oven under the broiler (middle rack) until the cheese is bubbly and brown. YUMMO!

Hope that gives you some different ideas. If I think of anything else I'll pop back in.

You have come to the right place, plenty of good recipes of our members. We do have a Horsecity member cookbook. Might want to check and see if there are any left to order.

I have to go to the other computer for recipes.

Potato Sausage Soup

6 to 8 Yukon gold potatoes (or 4 large baking potatoes, like russets), peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces

4 cups chicken stock

2 pounds hot sausage, out of the casing (I use breakfast sausage)

1 1/2 cups diced onion

1 3/4 cups finely diced celery

4 ounces butter

1 quart heavy whipping cream

3 or 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white or dark)

1 tablespoon vanilla

4 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Salt and pepper, to taste

To a large stock pot, add potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.

To a saute pan over medium heat, add sausage and chopped onion in pan and saute until completely cooked. Drain sausage mixture, add celery, and saute a few additional minutes. Add sausage mixture to stockpot with butter. Add cream and extra broth if needed. Add vinegar, vanilla, and parsley at end of cooking. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper

Sonora Casserole

3 cups sliced zucchini, steamed until soft

1 cup frozen or canned whole kernel corn drained

2 cups tomato sauce

1/2 Tbl chili powder

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp white vinegar

6 corn tortillas, quartered and fried in oil

1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies

1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese

3/4 cup sour cream

Chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix cooked zucchini, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, vinegar, fried tortillas quarters and chilies together. Place in greased casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until well heated and cheese has melted. To serve, top with sour cream and sprinkle with chopped green onions

TACO PIE

1 lb. ground beef

1 bottle taco sauce

2 cup corn chips

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Saute beef until crumbly. Add taco sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes. Layer corn chips, ground beef and cheese in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.

Marmalade Curried Chicken

1 cup baking mix (I think Pioneer is best)

salt, pepper

4 boneless chicken breast (I use chicken tenders)

1 cup buttermilk

3/4 cup orange marmalade

1/2 cup water

1 tsp curry powder

Mix baking mix, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in dry mixture. Heat oil in skillet. Brown chicken.

Mix remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken. Cover. Simmer 20 minutes until tender. Uncover. Simmer 5 minutes more. 4 serv

Best Ever Meat Loaf

1 can Golden Mushroom Soup

2 lbs hamburger

1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs

1 egg, slightly beaten

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

salt, pepper

Thoroughly mix 1/2 cup of the soup and the rest of the ingredients. Put in loaf pan and place in a shallow baking dish. Bake 375 for about 1 hour and 15 min.

In a saucepan blend remaining soup, water and 2-3 TBLS of the drippings. Heat , stir occasionally. Serve over loaf. 6-8 serv.

RFD had a recipe on a while back... it was Tex-Mex Lasagna .... use corn tortilla shell instead of lasagna noodles, and enchilada sauce instead of italian red sauce... when you think of it... stuffing in between the layers are endless...ground beef or chicken, a little rice or beans, black olives,corn mixed in with the rice... wow...might even try to make that tonight for myself... Syc

RFD had a recipe on a while back... it was Tex-Mex Lasagna .... use corn tortilla shell instead of lasagna noodles, and enchilada sauce instead of italian red sauce... when you think of it... stuffing in between the layers are endless...ground beef or chicken, a little rice or beans, black olives,corn mixed in with the rice... wow...might even try to make that tonight for myself... Syc

We call it enchilada casserole. You can make this w/ leftover chicken, turkey or pot roast. We often do it w/ some of the turkey after Thanksgiving. But my favorite it is pork.

Throw a pork roast in the crockpot w/ some enchilada sauce & a can of green chilies for a couple of hours. When you get home shred the pork roast, fry up some corn tortillas & layer the pork & tortillas in a casserole dish with cheese, olives, etc., whatever you like in your enchiladas. Put a layer of cheese on top & pop it in the oven until the cheese bubbles. Top w/ sour cream or whatever you like. Quick, easy and delicious. The left overs also freeze & re-heat well.

Edited by willrodeo4food

I was tinkering with my dutch oven ( campfire style ) last night... put a rub on a piece of brisket, little garlic, wee bit of water ... put coals top and bottom of dutch oven... walked away till the coals were out, but dutch oven was still a tiny bit warm... put said brisket in the slow cooker with a little bit of homemade barbeque sauce... cooled, sliced it down today, just had it on a sandwhich.... Sorry none of ya'll live close by... I would have shared....You guys don't know what you have been missing... :grin: Syc

Thinkin' I need to put on my palm leaf cowboy hat, wear my lady bear claw bracelet next time I cook on a campfire.. that way Sue won't have anything up on me.... ( 'cept maybe a "fluffy" chuck wagon chef type husband-and a whole lot more money....... [ROTFL] )

Edited by sycamore124

Bookmark this website: http://www.foodgawker.com

Almost everything I've tried from there has been great :)

I particularly liked this very easy salmon:

http://www.asweetpeachef.com/entrees/pan-roasted-salmon/

I cooked that one night along with the suggested garlicked spinach, and the whole thing took about 15 minutes from prep to plate. And was DELICIOUS and won rave reviews from my very picky foodie SO :)

Another site to bookmark is this one:

http://www.thehungrymouse.com/

If you're looking to impress people, try her duck recipe. She gives it step by step, with photos, so you know you're doing it right. I made it for Valentines Day this year and it was FANTASTIC. Then roasted some potatoes with the duck fat, also phenomenal.

Lemon Chicken!

I don't have the recipe right here, but you use lemon jello powder. I'll add the recipe in when I get home

I love my CrockPot and a good friend of mine turned-me-onto a wonderful product called "Better Than Boullion" in beef, chicken, pork and turkey flavorings. It is a paste. I use a heaping spoonful and rubber gloves, rubbing the BTB all over the cut of meat: pork loin, beef roast or chicken then simply place in the Crock to cook. If making a stew I add vegetables, water, cornstarch (to thicken) and whatever else I would like. It works great on its' own or paired with other ingredients. I haven't tried it in the oven or outdoor grill yet, but I imagine it would make a *nice* 'outer crunch' to the meat.

Dangit, now I'm salivating! LOL

category-1.jpg

Edited by Heidi n Q

I am in Louisiana....

cooking is a religion here. Mostly all of it has seafood in it.

Everyone has to know how to do a good "roux"...most everything here is based that way.

Not sure which one to pick and/or how easy or intense you want it to be.

Not too much around here is done fast...the local specialties that is.

Stuffed Bell Peppers & Mashed Potatoes

(for 4 stuffed peppers)

4 Green Bell Peppers

1lb Ground Beef

1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup

Salt & Pepper

1 Cup Cooked White Rice

1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes

Crushed Red Pepper

Boil the rice

Cut the tops off of the green peppers and clean them out

Open the can of crushed tomatoes apply a even, thin layer to the bottom of baking dish

Set the green peppers down in a baking dish (small baking dish for 4 peppers)

In a mixing bowl combine rice, ground beef, onion soup packet, a few dashes of crushed red pepper, salt, garlic powder and pepper.. mix with your hand like meatloaf

Pour a little salt in the bottom of each pepper, then take a spoon and dish a little of the crushed tomatoes in each

Stuff the peppers with the meat/rice mixture to the top

Pour remaining crushed tomatoes all over the top of the peppers and in between (you can use more than one can depending on how much you like)

Cover with glass lid or foil, bake on 350 for an hour and a half until meat is thoroughly cooked

Serve over home made mashed potatoes. I also like to serve with a side of corn or peas.

Pork Loin

1 pork loin -- I get the Hormel pre-packaged ones. They are about 1 lb and I can feed four people with one loin. I can get them for about $5 when they are on sale. They come pre-marinated Cajun, lemon pepper, garlic, etc., but I get the plain ones.

I put in three or four garlic cloves, cut into chunks and a little olive oil in a skillet. Put the loin in under low to medium heat until it browns on all sides. I sprinkle with a seasoning called "Cookies". Once brown, I take the loin out of the skillet and put it in a counter-top dutch oven on a rack. I bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes with about an inch and a half of chicken stock in the bottom of the oven.

In the meantime, I take all of the garlic out of the skillet. When the loin is done, I remove it from the dutch oven and let it rest on a plate. I reheat the skillet and then use about a cup of wine and pour in the bottom of the skillet, where the brownings are from browning the loin, deglaze the bottom of the skillet with a spatula and get all of the brown bits cooking in the wine. Cook over medium heat until it reduces by about half. Then pour the chicken stock in from the dutch oven. Add a little bit of corn starch dissolved in water to the hot liquid to make a sauce. Strain the sauce and pour that over the pork loin and serve with mashed potatoes or angel hair pasta. Yummmmm!!!

Edited by Soldier'sWife

Baked Mac n Cheese is always a good, quick dinner around here; we make it using a big casserole dish and layering pasta and shredded cheese (I use the blocks of Cabot or Cracker Barrel and shred it myself), pour a little bit of milk over the top and bake for about 25-30mins at 350 until the cheese on top has started to brown. You can also put a layer of sliced hotdogs in the middle.

Being in New England, baking things in the oven is pretty much the standard for cooking, so I have a lot of bake/casserole recipes and a lot of French Canadian recipes from my dad's side.

Tourtiere (my personal favorite French Canadian dish, usually for holidays but I think it's good anytime!)-

2 cups ground & cooked pork (you can use 1/2 ground pork and 1/2 ground beef which is how I prefer it)

Bell's Poultry Seasoning

2 cups mashed potato (I've also had tourtiere that was made with potatoes that were diced very small, which was also good)

1 large, finely diced onion (you can take this out for the anti-onion people)

Pie crust (homemade or store bought)

Combine meat, onion, potato and seasoning to taste in a mixing bowl. Place pie crust into a dish, fill with meat mixture and cover with top crust. Crimp edges and bake at 400 until crust is golden brown.

FAST and EASY!!!

We call it Chicken salsa

2 cans drained black beans

2 cans drained corn

5 to 6 boneless chicken thighs

3 cups pace salsa... as hot or mild as you like

Put in order in crock pot and cook on low about 6 hours. Do NOT stir or add water.

Serve however you like. We do ours on flour tortillas with cheese. Some people do it on salad or over rice. What ever you want.

VERY VERY YUMMY!!!