willrodeo4food

Am I An Old Fuddy Duddy?

Let me preface by saying I'm almost 40. I am a paralegal in a small law office. The other paralegal is 32. I am grossed out by the fact that she came in this morning with two big ol' nasty looking hickies on her neck. I mean really, a 30something in a professional setting should know better right??? Would you judge??

I know I'm an judgmental old fuddy duddy. :sick:

Nah, I hate them, too. Seriously, private things should stay private and any "souveniers"(sp) should be hidden.

Edited by Hibiscus

Ick. If you do a Christmas gift exchange, I'd give her a lovely scarf and teach her how to tie it!

[ROTFL]

Maybe she needs to make extra cash over the weekend....

[ROTFL] [ROTFL]

Hey I'm an older fuddy duddy and have been that way since I was a kid...I remember when my sister came home with one and my dad asked her where she got the zit....(my folks are 80 and in their day in high school a zit was a hicky and a hicky was a zit) I just knew then that I didn't want either one so when boy friend Number one came along and tried to suck my neck like a vampire...he got an elbow in the nose!

Personally I think its scanky just like piercing or tatooing your face up.... [Crazy] to me its self mutilation and it wasn't too long ago they put you in a mental institute for it!

AD

Uh, most vampires are skinny! Duh. And they sparkle! So you would be TPL the sparkley, skinny vampire. Everytime I write TPL it makes me think "Toilet Paper Lady". Man is my mind in the bathroom today, or what?

[ROTFL] [Crazy] [ROTFL]

Great...now it's in my head and everyone else's too.

Yeah...okay...I'm the toilet paper lady....Mrs. Whipple...go ahead...squeeze me.

I am a squeezably soft TPL with visions of being a sparkley skinny vampire....

(I'll bet nobody ever could have tried to guess a thread on hickeys went to toliet paper and sparkley vampires...) [ROTFL]

Having been the co-administrator of a small, prestigious family law firm, I have had the conversation with our staff about appropriate behavior and/or disguising the unfortunate result of things like that.

The convo would usually start, "honey, did you know...?" and wrap up with "Max Factor, makes the most amazing body makeup to cover up things like that. We could go out at lunch and help you find the right shade to fix that right up!"

When I or Gala said "we," it was meant literally and usually included the senior partner on the expedition, if only to make him pay for lunch.

Things happen, but equiping people with the right tools to make it less obvious sometimes must be done.

Isn't that why God made turtleneck sweaters? :happy0203: My assistant goes to court with me and I'd be really embarrassed if she showed up like that. Fortunately, she has better sense.

I am not an old fuddy duddy (23) and I have to say that I do not really see anything wrong with someone having a hicky (especially if they are married).

My husband gives them to me all the time (and me to him :happy0203: ) and while I do do my best to cover them up you can see them if you go looking. He says it?s like marking his territory so to speak and letting the world know that I am loved by him. So that other guys know that I am taken and happy. (I am a waitress so the question comes up a lot). I have never gotten anything but giggles from anyone that has made a comment about it. My employer does not have one bit of a problem with it either.

I think its good to know that someone is getting that kind of loving. What does it matter to anyone else. Why should that girl stop her man just for appearance sake?

Now maybe I could see if she was flaunting them or had multiple ones where it looks like she got beat up being a problem and unsightly. But honestly I do not see what is wrong with it at any age. If you are 50 and still have that kind of passion in your marriage then I say let it show. And I definitely do not think people should be looked down for it.

Grace

I don't know why, Grace, but it's seriously tacky to me. Maybe it's announcing sexuality too much? Too teenage? Some things should stay private? Just not acceptable in today's society? "It's as obvious as have a condom stuck to the bottom of your shoe and just as gross"? perhaps it's just because I was such a clueless, gross teenager?

I consider it especially inappropriate in a business setting. If I were a lawyer and my assistant came in with one, I'd have to ask them to cover it up or send them home. (And would be a bit irritated that they didn't have the common sense to do so.) Same as if they were wearing Daisy Dukes or a half shirt. Just not okay.

I also find it repulsive when people grab their SO's butt or make out in public.

And "marking his territory"? I get the feeling he's not entirely serious, but ick. :sick:

I actually like necks a lot (and therefore have probably given my fair share of hickies), but I keep it reined in.

I am not an old fuddy duddy (23) and I have to say that I do not really see anything wrong with someone having a hicky (especially if they are married).

My husband gives them to me all the time (and me to him :happy0203: ) and while I do do my best to cover them up you can see them if you go looking. He says it?s like marking his territory so to speak and letting the world know that I am loved by him. So that other guys know that I am taken and happy. (I am a waitress so the question comes up a lot). I have never gotten anything but giggles from anyone that has made a comment about it. My employer does not have one bit of a problem with it either.

I think its good to know that someone is getting that kind of loving. What does it matter to anyone else. Why should that girl stop her man just for appearance sake?

Now maybe I could see if she was flaunting them or had multiple ones where it looks like she got beat up being a problem and unsightly. But honestly I do not see what is wrong with it at any age. If you are 50 and still have that kind of passion in your marriage then I say let it show. And I definitely do not think people should be looked down for it.

Grace

Wow, there is just so much really, fundamentally wrong with this statement.

First, deliberately causing an injury to another individual isn't wrong? A hickey is an injury.

He says it?s like marking his territory so to speak and letting the world know that I am loved by him. So that other guys know that I am taken and happy.

Marking his territory? What is he? A dog? And letting the world know that he loves you? By causing an injury. How about something a bit more substantial than a fading bruise, aka hickey? And who is he to say that you are "taken and happy?" Isn't that your decision?

Your employer may not have a problem with it, but then what kind of establishment do you wait tables in? A diner? A family restaurant? I certainly would not have been happy with any of my staff when I was the catering manager in a military club if/when they showed up with similar "markings" and they knew it.

It's not about appearance as you should have gathered by now. It's about maturity and respect for oneself, one's career and one's SO.

Yikes. Methinks I smellz a critter from under the bridge again.

No kidding, MondaesMom. If I was waited on by someone with a hickey on their neck I would be seriously grossed out. I'd definitely be hesitant to go back to that restaurant... and I'm not even an old fuddy duddy! I'm 21!

Yuck. Gag.

Do whatever you want behind closed doors... but just as I don't want to see you making out in public, I also don't want to see evidence of what you do when you're alone. Ugh.

I'm 17 and I've always thought hickeys are gross, unprofessional, hideous, skanky, etc. I just don't think it says anything positive about yourself when you walk into public like that. JMHO.

An injury, MM? That seems a bit over the top.

Nope, really, think about it. The act of creating/making/whathaveyou a hickey causes damage to blood vessels and skin. Ergo, injury.

Injury defined: 1. harm or damage that is done or sustained

There is damage to the blood vessels and skin. By definition, injury.

Shall I put it in context again?

I just had an experience with a girl I work with. She had two big hickeys on her neck but luckily she was smart enough to wear a turtleneck to cover them. But occasionaly when she moved, you could see them.

I find it disgusting. First of all, HOW does SUCKING on a neck feel good?? I can see lightly kissing it feeling good. But SUCKING just seems gross to me. Second, that's what 8th graders do in the back of the bus. Just totally immature to me and I'm 22.

Nope, really, think about it. The act of creating/making/whathaveyou a hickey causes damage to blood vessels and skin. Ergo, injury.

Injury defined: 1. harm or damage that is done or sustained

There is damage to the blood vessels and skin. By definition, injury.

Shall I put it in context again?

No, I get that by definition. I just don't agree.

I find it disgusting. First of all, HOW does SUCKING on a neck feel good?? I can see lightly kissing it feeling good. But SUCKING just seems gross to me. Second, that's what 8th graders do in the back of the bus. Just totally immature to me and I'm 22.
Apparently it doesn't... to everyone. Edited by Kina Kat

Even kids laugh at other kids who show up with hickies, you'd think a young adult would have figured that out by now.

A bruise is a bruise, might not hurt while getting it, but it's still a bruise.

Marking his territory? Makes me think of a dog peeing on bushes.

Anybody who sports those things proudly is pretty needy for attention.

My significant other treats me really, really well, all the time, in public and in private, so no need to mark my neck up with bruises to prove he loves me.