Sign in to follow this  
smithereens_86

Clinic - Pics And Videos

I took Lieto to our 2nd off property clinic this past Sunday. The clinician was Tom Noone. Lieto was FANTASTIC!! Every time I work with Tom Noone, I always leave the ride with a whole set of new exercises to tackle the issues we have been dealing with recently. Tom said we are working at a very solid 1st level now. He helped me get more impulsion at the trot and more self carriage in the canter. He said our leg yields were easy, the shoulder-in looked good, and our trot lengthenings are developing very nicely. He gave us some new ideas for how to better tackle the stretchy trot and keep it active and not falling on the forehand. Overall Tom said we are right on track, but haven?t yet begun to tap into Lieto?s full potential. We are just starting to get glimpses of what his gaits will look like, but he still has a ways to go before he is fully matured and developed. Right now we should just keep working on strengthening him and building him up slowly. Tom said Lieto has a great brain, and he felt that the collected work is going to be really easy for him.

Nice head shot:

Clinic065.jpg

Working on improving the trot:

Clinic071.jpg

Trot lengthening:

Clinic101.jpg

The rest of the pictures are here:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/578775566IQRUxm

Working on improving the trot:

Working on improving the canter:

There are several more videos which can be found here: (The 7 most recently uploaded videos)

http://www.youtube.com/user/smithereens86

~Shelly~

Very nice. Thanks for sgaring. Lietto is handsome as ever. He looks like he thinks the canter should be more fun and less work. I am so jealous of your canter to trot downward transitions.

HAHA!! CSA, that is a perfect way of describing Lieto's views on canter. He truly does NOT appreciate having to work at canter. I'll have to share your comment on the canter with my trainer tonight. She will get a good laugh. It is so dead on accurate of Lieto - and he is soooo expressive that there is never any doubt on his opinions. We have been working really, really hard on our transitions. The upwards are still a little sticky occasionally, but the downwards are finally starting to come together pretty nicely.

~Shelly~

Yes, he has been off the Doxy now since mid-June, and I transitioned him off the EPSM diet back in the early spring as well. So just his regular grain and supplements. Nothing special for him at this point, and he is doing great!

~Shelly~

Leito looks fantastic, Shelly! You are doing a fantastic job with him. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying him. Or at least, you seem to be... :)

Tracy

Boo - Not sure when our first show will be. We are definitely having some canter issues that need sorting out right at the moment, but that is all me. He does exactly what I ask him to do, but since he is soooooooo sensitive, he is picking up on every little nuance of my position flaws which means if I'm not sitting perfectly, my body isn't always asking for what I think I am asking for. I want a right lead canter, but my body is twisted, so I'm actually asking for a left lead canter, and that's what I get. Until I get ME straightened out, we aren't going anywhere. I also need to get him to at least one more small schooling show just to hang and school, but not show and see how he handles it. He lost it the first time we did this, so we need to repeat that until he can manage it without totally coming unglued. Then I'll have a better idea of when I can actually attempt to take him into the arena for the first time.

Tracy - Yes, I am totally enjoying him. He is a lot of fun. He is making a better rider of me.

~Shelly~