Sign in to follow this  
SixDogsRescue

Preferred Saddle Pad Brand

I love the 5 Star pad. It is the ONLY wool pad with 92% virgin wool - the next closest are the Slones, Wrights, etc & they only have 55% virgin wool. The added virgin wool means a softer, more conforming pad, but also the highest compression & concussion rating. And the added fun kick is that I can get them customized w/my own corner patch!

also wanted to add that saddle fit is just as important if not MORE important then the pad you use. Find a good fitting saddle then pick a pad that works for that saddle.

I have FOUR SMX pads and honestly can't see me going to anything else

I've had a Classic Equine wool pad for the past 7-8 years and it has been an excellent pad and used on many different horses. It cost around $150 new and still costs about the same today.

BUT - I recently found the best kept secret in western saddle pads and it's sold at www.jeffersequine.com and you can see it here : Wool Pad

A friend of mine owns an older one and I loved using it!! Even after so many years it's still holding up as well as my more expensive pad, and it's actually thicker and more plush and wicks the sweat away from the body really well... it gets real heavy after use from all of the sweat. It's also oversized so it fits underneath my work and show saddles really well and looks great. And at the $63.95 price you can't beat it! I get a nice even sweat after using it each time and I just ordered one for myself, should be here Tuesday!

I love impact gels. they are good on the horses back and have a low profile. the only issue is that do make them sweat a lot and are expensive.

I have used the Cashel pads, they have way to much heat build up for me. I used the 5 star pads for years. I loved them but even with regular washings they began to keep the salts in them. My newest favorite is the Wyngz saddle pads. The design is fabulous and you can hose them off after your workout and they are dry in 30 minutes. I have been using them on all my horses for well over a year now. When I show, I just put a pretty colored blanket to match my outfit over the pad. The Wyngz are expensive, but they come guaranteed. They come in many styles for both English and Western. Check them out

http://www.wyngzsaddlepads.com/

i agree. smx does cost a little but your horses comfort is worth it. thats the only pads i have in my barn. i use some for training and others for shows.

5 Star. My saddle fit pretty good before- but that thing makes it fit my horse perfectly. Definatly worth the money.

I agree with the smx air ride.. where I have been taking lessons.. thats what they use and they swear by them.. and now that we are getting our own horse my wife can't see spending the extra money to buy one.. she thinks they are a rip off..but no matter how many positive reviews I find she thinks its too much for a pad (but im getting one anyways the horses comfort to me is worth the extra price) :winking:

I have used the smx pads for years but a friend turned me on to the saddleright pad. I tried it for a week and couldn't believe the difference. Ordered online right away. My horse moved out soo much better and his leads became flawless. I know saddle fit is definately important too and the saddleright pad is quite expensive but with the lifetime warranty its worth it for me and my horse.

Trail and endurance riders benefit from using something with multiple layers to eliminate friction. Thick layers and gel pads soften impact (see the old M&M + hammer test... :winking: ) but that's not what is bothering your horse unless you hammer around on his back. :surrender: It's the constant movement of the humans' body against the horses via the interface - the saddle. To soften this friction, it is best to use multiple layers.

The best and time-proven design is the old school cavalry saddle blanket. This ideal endurance saddle blanket helps keep your horse's back from getting sore and softens the ride for the rider as well.

Love this blanket and couldn't do without it any more.

Sheepskin saddle pads made by a company called Engel. I recently bought one from an e-commerce store call sheepskindeals.com

It's really well made and the price was good and they shipped free

Anothe

Trail and endurance riders benefit from using something with multiple layers to eliminate friction. Thick layers and gel pads soften impact (see the old M&M + hammer test... :winking: ) but that's not what is bothering your horse unless you hammer around on his back. :surrender: It's the constant movement of the humans' body against the horses via the interface - the saddle. To soften this friction, it is best to use multiple layers.

The best and time-proven design is the old school cavalry saddle blanket. This ideal endurance saddle blanket helps keep your horse's back from getting sore and softens the ride for the rider as well.

Love this blanket and couldn't do without it any more.

What will keep your horse from getting sore, riding all day in the mountains, is using back cinch that is done up tight. That back cinch stabilizes a saddle, and prevents that back and forth rubbing on the loins

Outfitters that use horses day in and day out in the mountains, will tell you that if you are going to ride with aloose cinch, make it your front cinch and do the back cinch up tight

I have ridden many mountain miles, using my Air ride pad, and my balance ride saddle, with that back cinch done up

r vote for the SMX Air Ride

What keeps a horse form getting sore, riding all day in the mountains, is using a back cinch that is done up

A back cinch prevents that slight back and forth motion of the saddle, rubbing across the loins.

Outfitters that use horses day in and day out in the mountains , will tell you that if you ride with a loose cinch, make it your front cinch

I have ridden countless mountain miles on different horses , using my balance ride saddle, which has aback cinch, and my Air ride pad. I have not sored a horse, even climbing very steep trails

Bottom picture has back cinch loosened for a break

Smiliegravelbar.jpg

SmilieRibbonFlats.jpg[/url]

Edited by Smilie

I vote 5 Star as well. Classic Equine is a close second for me since every time I get a horse with a narrow wither, the BioFit pad is a great compensatory tool.

Regardless of which pad you choose I like a folded washable good quality blanket folded in half giving me 4 fresh surfaces to put next to the horse's back , then the pad of choice on top of that.

Riding with a thick pad directly on the horse doesn't allow for keeping it clean and washed. I have a really good 30 inch by 60 inch blanket that is folded to 30 x 30 and rotated regularly to keep a clean surface next to his back.