cowboy47836

High Knob Ranch Equality Il

TRAILRIDERS BEWARE!! I have ridden out of High Knob Ranch at Eqaulity, IL for over 10 years and 3 different camp owners. This camp has always been dirty, no marked camp sites and no flat ground to park your trailer. The trail access to Shawnee National Forrest is great, and the ONLY reason we have stayed at High Knob until now. I had heard that the 3rd new owner had bought the property early this year. I called to make reservations for 6 rather large truck and trailers and was told they would have spots for us when we arrived. Upon arrival, we found the parking area full. Two different employee's (Both sporting beers in their hands and plainly drunk) told us to park next to a permanent camper in front of the shower house. We then crammed 6 trailers in a spot that 2 trailer should park. Sat morning the new female owner of High Knob became very NASTY that 1 of the trucks did not have an armband on the wiper arm indicating that they had paid. Instead, the armband was on the steering column. She came UNGLUED!! We should have left then. I noticed that at least 3 times, the owner of High Knob was climbing on the side of my Freightliner to make sure that my armband was on my truck also. Does it take 3 times climbing on my truck to make sure it is still there?? Sat night, the people in the permanent camper pulled in and told me I had to move my trailer (which would require the other 5 trailers to move in order for me to get mine out). I told the people I had paid to camp and they needed to talk to the owner of High Knob. Within 10 minutes the owner of High Knob was screaming at us to hook up and move our trailer from the spots that she had told us to park the night before. She told us she would refund our money since she was forcing us to leave on a 4 hour drive at 10:00 pm at night. When it came time for all 6 trailer of us to pull out, she decided she would only refund 50% of our money. Wow!! After 10 years of riding High Knob, I will NEVER camp there again. The place is a dump. The employees are drunks. The owner is a crazed lunitick!!!! Take it from me. GO SOME WHERE ELSE TO CAMP!! On a brighter note, I gurantee there will soon be a 4th owner. No way this idiot can keep from going bankrupt with customer service skills like this.

:twitch: GOOD GRIEF - that's certainly NOT how you treat people! She can't stay in business for long. I certainly wouldn't go back there, either. You can be assured that y'all aren't the only one's she's mistreated - word of mouth can be dangerous - you don't want to have to BEG campers to come to your site - she's going to find out the HARD way - and her employees with beer cans in their hands....NO WAY!!!??? Sorry you guys had such a bad experience - you didn't deserve it!

Wow, sorry your weekend turned out so crappy. The new owner isn't very smart to turn 6 trailers away. Anybody with any common sense should realize that not only is she losing out on those 6 customers, but also everyone else that they pass the word on to. There are too many other places to ride and camp in the Shawnee, so no one has to put up with that kind of treatment. Thanks for the heads up.

Holy Cow interesting marketing plan she has there!!!! Sorry for your spoiled weekend. I think I would report her to the better buisness bureau or something.

What an awful experience!! Don't think that's a place I want to visit anytime soon.

We camp at Bay Creek every year and a few in our group were considering not going back next year because their reserved spots got changed around. They did put their deposit down before we left though cause the owners did attempt to make it up. The campground is always clean and plenty of room without parking on top of each other.

Sorry about your experience. I know a number of folks who have been there since the new owners took over and they have raved not only about the camp but about the great service the owners provided.

riding the sun

Jo is strange but we didn't ahve any problems with her at all, in fact she loaned my sister a heater when the one she had didn't work

I always camp way in the back and I don't think there is any real "hills" to camp on at High Knob. I will ahve to take lots of pics when I go Thanksgiiving week

Sorry you had a rough time.

This is very interesting to me. HoosierCowboy put up this post and if you look this is the only post he as made on HC. He also posted on another trail riding board and it to was the only post and it was also very bad reporting on this camp site. And it seems most everyone else who has been there give it very good reviews. Makes you wonder just a bit.

I would guess he was so angry, he went on an "anger spree" and vented wherever he could, and the internet is a good way to spread the word fast, good or bad.

I don't doubt an incident happened, but I've only heard one side. I saw those Indiana trailers parked there, we pulled out Saturday morning, but our friends who stayed did indeed see all those trailers pull out Saturday night, although they had no idea what was going on at the time until I showed them this post.

So I don't think this is a made-up story if that's what you're thinking.

We had a bad experience at High Knob in April of 2009 (under previous owner). By midnight on Friday night, there was a huge mob of partiers, I'm talking well over 100 people, most weren't camping there, they just drove in to party. Our trailer was surrounded by loud drunks. We packed up and pulled out at midnight, we had to part the "sea" of people with our truck as we pulled out. I was told later the party lasted until 4:00 in the morning. I was more concerned about our horses on the picket line than anything, there were so many people standing around them. So we just left.

But we've been back a couple times, haven't been any parties like that since then.

It's not my favorite campground, but it's my favorite riding area in Shawnee.

The permanent site he is talking about is owned by one of Indiana's proscetours sister ... and they are from Indiana too. But they can be very rude and snobbish.

Those permanent campers are the mortage payment for any campground YEAR ROUND.

out of common courtsey "I" wouldn't park on top of one of them "unless I knew" the owners. I use a permanent site there and I have seen people try to use the pens back there without permission.

Ive been to high knob many times, with no issues. The now new owners have done so much updating and are really make it nice, which is wonderful because the riding there is so awesome.

We just got back from 6 days at High Knob. NO bad experiences whatever. The campground is so-so, they do need to number the sites. The new stalls are great...big and safe for the horses. They are putting in flush toilets and have a shower house. It is hard to find a level spot but that is everywhere in Shawnee. Jojo has a bunch of leveling boards she will loan out.

We were not there for the weekend campers, I imagine then it can get pretty crowded. Also, Jojo was very accommodating when we needed to change our reservations at the last minute. She's a nice lady trying very hard to get this campground improved and make the camping a good experience for everyone.

The trails RIGHT out of camp are wonderful! We have ridden the Lusk Creek area a number of times and this is just as nice, but less crowded. No riding for 45 min. to get to a trail. There are 3 trailheads right out of camp. Absolutely gorgeous rock formations. It is about 4 miles on the trail to get to Garden of the Gods. The camp has good maps in a plastic cover that are pretty accurate. We are definitely going back!

A few pics

HighKnobShawnee5-2011004.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011007.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011017.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011045-1.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011048-1.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011028-1.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011039.jpg

HighKnobShawnee5-2011017-1.jpg

Judy

Great pics! I hope to ride in that area one of these days, I usually camp at Eddyville cuz I live so close

TRAILRIDERS BEWARE!! I have ridden out of High Knob Ranch at Eqaulity, IL for over 10 years and 3 different camp owners. This camp has always been dirty, no marked camp sites and no flat ground to park your trailer. The trail access to Shawnee National Forrest is great, and the ONLY reason we have stayed at High Knob until now. I had heard that the 3rd new owner had bought the property early this year. I called to make reservations for 6 rather large truck and trailers and was told they would have spots for us when we arrived. Upon arrival, we found the parking area full. Two different employee's (Both sporting beers in their hands and plainly drunk) told us to park next to a permanent camper in front of the shower house. We then crammed 6 trailers in a spot that 2 trailer should park. Sat morning the new female owner of High Knob became very NASTY that 1 of the trucks did not have an armband on the wiper arm indicating that they had paid. Instead, the armband was on the steering column. She came UNGLUED!! We should have left then. I noticed that at least 3 times, the owner of High Knob was climbing on the side of my Freightliner to make sure that my armband was on my truck also. Does it take 3 times climbing on my truck to make sure it is still there?? Sat night, the people in the permanent camper pulled in and told me I had to move my trailer (which would require the other 5 trailers to move in order for me to get mine out). I told the people I had paid to camp and they needed to talk to the owner of High Knob. Within 10 minutes the owner of High Knob was screaming at us to hook up and move our trailer from the spots that she had told us to park the night before. She told us she would refund our money since she was forcing us to leave on a 4 hour drive at 10:00 pm at night. When it came time for all 6 trailer of us to pull out, she decided she would only refund 50% of our money. Wow!! After 10 years of riding High Knob, I will NEVER camp there again. The place is a dump. The employees are drunks. The owner is a crazed lunitick!!!! Take it from me. GO SOME WHERE ELSE TO CAMP!! On a brighter note, I gurantee there will soon be a 4th owner. No way this idiot can keep from going bankrupt with customer service skills like this.

Their is so much about this post of yours that is SOOOO un-true I am not sure where to start,,you insited on parking all six of the rigs in your party on one of my permant campers site, (stating to my employee that one person in your group was the permants sister and you had her permission to be on her site) THE TRUTH-- they were sisters alright but have not spoken in over 5 years,, and have had trouble in another trail camp a few years eariler where you all were asked to leave too,,,Second " I do not drink,, so that is justplain untrue,,, Third-- you were asked to put your tag on the windsheild of your vehicle where it can plainly be seen by all the employees,, but you placed yours inside the cab of your semi truck, (( where no one could see it)) READ YOUR OWN POST--- you can not follow directions,, you did stay a day and a half and when you money was returned the day and a half stay you did stay was deducted,, (you all stopped payment on all you checks anyway, and kept the cash that I returned back to you,, When the permant campers did arrive, and asked for thier camping area back, you were asked to simply back straight up 30 feet and hook up to the electric post just across the street, no one was behind you, your semi truck was too long but you refused,it was your decision to leave the campground and most of the people in your party told you to just back up, to make room for the person that owns that lot,but you would have nothing to do with it,, Your worried about owner # 4,, let me inform you my friend,, Highknob has never enjoyed (in all 50 years) the kind of activity it has seen in the past 24 months,(( I have owned this campground for exactly 24 months,,,the campground is more than half paid off, and I have prepaid the next 12 mortage payments..so plese do not hold your breath on me going out of business any time soon,,the perticular weekend you were in, my family was down from Michigan and my daughter and my sister were on the grounds helping me with the crowd,, did I jump up on your running gear of your truck three times--NO--- we all look alike and you were the one intoxicated and could not tell us all apart,,,they were doing thier job checking for tags,,, Please stay in Indiana and ride, I would not wish you on my worst competitor,,,

Well.....I guess the other shoe has fallen.

Sounds like sour apples on the part of the camper, and the owner seems to have been accommodating to them.

I only wish we had some large places to camp and ride with out the fear of nasty motorcycle, and quad runners ruining all the trails and making such a racket.

THAT is why I usually camp in the forest or desert away from any roads or facilities. Yeah, we have to bring everything and use our port-a-corrals or highline, as in most campgrounds with stalls, they have been rented to bikes, or regular campers without horses, as they are bigger sites for the party's.