Sign in to follow this  
chevygurlz712002

Predicament

Today I go to work and see that one of the dogs is beat up very badly...by either a car, human or another dog. I called the guy that owns the dog and told him I was taking her to the vet as she couldn't walk at all on her left side. He said I was wasting my time as she got into a fight with his other dog which is a boxer.

I was already on my way to the vet when he called me back to say he was just going to shoot her as she is always picking fights with the other dogs and kills things. I told him not to shoot her and that I was paying for the vet bill and if he really wanted to get rid of her I would take her.

Tonight after I get back from the vet he changes his mind and now doesn't want to part with her. I have to take her back in tomorrow to have her wounds cleaned out and repaired...vet didn't want to do it tonight for whatever reasons...so it is getting done tomorrow. She has to be sedated and dead tissue removed and then stitched up...and she is on 3 different medications because she has such a bad infection.

Now...I am taking care of the dog b/c it's "the right thing to do" in my book. She isn't my dog...and as I type this she is sound asleep on the floor at my feet. I don't know how to convince the owner to let me have her...I would even pay for her if he wanted...the dog is like 14, I don't care she's awesome and she deserves something better in life.

What do I do?!

First off, I disagree wholeheartedly in calling this man a redneck. Absolutely unnecessary judgment. Nothing wrong with being a redneck, I quite like being one myself haha. There are plenty of other things to call him that would actually fit him (lazy, p.o.s. etc etc).

Honestly, your first mistake was telling him you were going to pay to get her fixed up. I know you were just trying to do what is right (kudos btw) but I guarantee the only reason he said he was going to put her down is because he didn't want to pay the vet bills. Now that someone else is fixing his dog up for free, shoot, why wouldn't he keep her?

He may accept payment for the dog, he may not. Only one way to find out. As far as how much she's worth? There's absolutely no way to place a price on a dog, especially at that age. Offer less than you feel comfortable with and go from there.

Edited by OhSoCharismatic

DO NOT *BUY* A GERIATRIC AND INJURED DOG!

Instead, you tell the man that when he said he was going to SHOOT her, you told him if he wanted to 'get rid of her' that you'd pay for her required vet care and keep her yourself.

If he wants his dog NOW .... he can pay the veterinary bill.

Or he can give her to you ... but you will NOT be doing this to benefit HIM.

YOU EITHER GET REPAID IN FULL OR HE GIVES YOU THE DOG FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

Edited by Heidi n Q

I would say if he wants his dog back all of the vet bills you have payed need to be repayed to you before he gets his dog back...my guess is he will change his mind at the thought of having to spend money on her and let you have her!-*-*-*-*-*-*-*9999999999999999999999999999999999<+ <<<that is what my bengal kitten just typed to you...she was chasing my pointer and stepped on the keyboard.

Good luck

If I had to give advice to someone in the same situation I would tell them almost the same thing you folks are telling me.

It's just tough as he is my boss and I want to keep a good relationship with him but at the same time all I want to do is help this dog.

After she gets back from the vet today she is coming back home with me as she will have stitches and be pretty sore from what has been done to her. I am hoping by me telling him she will recooperate at my house he will just "give in" and say that I can have her.

If you do end up taking the dog, make sure that you have him sign something saying that he is giving the dog over to you, otherwise, down the road, he could turn around and take the dog back, since you have no proof of ownership.

I would take the dog back to the Vet and leave it there.. tell the Vet to contact the OWNER for payment.. when the Owner tells the Vet that he can't/won't pay for the dog, then the vet seizes the dog and does what he/she see's fit..

In this case, calls you back up and tells you to come pay the bill and pick up the dog..

Then you get a letter from the Vet saying that you are adopting an Owner surrender..

Simple.....

I would take the dog back to the Vet and leave it there.. tell the Vet to contact the OWNER for payment.. when the Owner tells the Vet that he can't/won't pay for the dog, then the vet seizes the dog and does what he/she see's fit..

In this case, calls you back up and tells you to come pay the bill and pick up the dog..

Then you get a letter from the Vet saying that you are adopting an Owner surrender..

Simple.....

Dittoing this. While you are doing right by the dog, you as an individual may not have the authority to take this dog from him. No one wants you do get in trouble for doing a good deed.