equestrianbreeches

American Saddlebred

I know there are always exceptions the to the rule, but in general what is their temperament like? I'm considering purchasing a 12 year old and I'm admittedly not the bravest rider. The seller indicates that he's a schoolmaster type and she's never seen him buck in the field or otherwise and that she can't remember the last time he spooked at anything. I would love some input with those that have experience with this breed. To this point, I've only had experience with quarter horses.

Thanks!!

I wish I could help you! I own a saddlebred but I'm sure the way she acts is not the way the rest of them act. She was badly abused and starved so she isn't the best example. I do know they have nice gaits! Ill be happy to hear what others say though so I know if I ever want to try another.

I have never owned one. And have only been around Show saddlebreds..And the whole barn I know is full of wacked out horses.

I myself would stay as farrr as I could away from a saddlebred..Not a breed I would like to have to deal with everyday.

Not saying there ALL like that..But the ones I know ARE...But they do well in the showring..

I rode my first Saddlebred out on a trail ride. You have a 3 gaited or a 5 gaited so depending on what he is, you might want to ask. This Saddlebred was a 5 gaited and he had a neat gait. It was odd. It was the first time ever riding a gaited horse before. He was great.

I'd be careful, when I hear words like never bucks in the pasture, give me a break. Horses get to playing and they kick,buck and whatever; it's a horse's life out there. I'm always leary of people who say their horse doesn't act like a horse.?

All the saddlebreds I've been around, I've really liked them all. They do believe themselves better than everyone else. They stand with "look at me" attitude. Although, the ones I've met has been absolute sweethearts.

If I was you, I'd get someone who is knowledgable and knows what you're looking for. People have a tendacy to pick out a horse who is just like them. You can go out to my pasture full of abused horses and guess what (I don't know how this happens but it does) they are all like me. Opinionated, bull headed and playful. These aren't the easiest horses to work with. If you're looking for a horse that will look out for you, more inlikely you'll pick a horse that is a mirror of yourself. This isn't necessarly a bad thing if you know how to handle horses and know how to deal with your own faults, but if not then this can cause you a lot of problems.

Well, kinda got off topic, I think as long as it's the right fit a saddlebred is great. OH, and don't get a sway back horse. There are saddlebreds who do have sway backs and it's just not kind. I can't remember the bloodline that mainly has this problem, but they're out there.

April

He's 5 gaited and was originally shown saddleseat but has been doing dressage the past few years which is what I want him for.....She told me that she is not a brave rider either which is why she likes him and she rides him on trails all the time. He doesn't appear swaybacked in the photos. Of course I need to see him in person first....

My family has owned many saddlebreds over the years and here are some very distinct characteristics that every single one of them had.

Old Soul - Saddlebreds are smart and coy, they learn fast have great personalities. They all have GREAT work ethic and love to please! Brave, they will go anywhere, do anything, their "fight" instinct is much stronger than their "flight" so they will face anything with curiosity. That doesn't stop them from puffing up and getting strong, but rarely do they turn tail and run! They are performers, they will turn it up a notch when they know people are looking.

Each Saddlebred we've had have also been different. The mare I rode for 6 years was a witch, but she did her job without batting an ear in the show ring...she made a reining trainer droll once when asked to halt from a hand gallop and left slide marks in the dirt behind her. She was tuned in and always ready to go but you couldn't turn your back on her for even a second on the ground, she'd kick or bite any chance she got.

I would say go try him. I don't recommend Saddlebreds for riders who really aren't brave because they may be too much horse for you. Even though they rarely spook or act stupid they have fire and passion and sometimes that can scare people.

NOTE: For those who say they are all just hot, scary, and stupid, it's the people handling them, not the horse. Because of how they are it's very easy to enhance the horse to a point where he does act crazy and stupid. Breed only counts for 50% of a horse's demeanor...they other 50% is just horse!

This is my sister's reply:

I have been around Saddlebreds since I was very young. Never in person have I come across a "whacked out" Saddlebred. I have seen some in videos, but that is because of course they will be put into videos. I have found that this is one of the top "hated on" breeds, and unless you are a Saddlebred person you will not understand.

It all depends on the horse. A trail horse will be calm. A barrel horse will be fast. And a Saddleseat horse will be hyper. I find that most people say bad things about them because Saddleseat horses can be difficult to ride. It is a discipline you really have to work at and hone your skills to be good at, because the horses are extremely sensitive.

My current Saddlebred has made a pass through many different disciplines and divisions; five-gaited, five-gaited pleasure, three-gaited country pleasure, contesting horse, and hunt seat horse. He has easily adapted to each of these and is very intelligent. His ears are typically always up (hence his name "Happy") and he is such a pleasure to be around. I honestly would not be as happy if I had to work with any other breed.

Here is a video of my aunt's former horse, Harry Callahan. He is a Saddlebred competing and winning at the Grand Prix level.

*BOWS TO HARRY CALLAHAN*

Temperament varies by horse. Go out and meet him. I have nearly thirty Saddlebreds right now and every one of them has a different personality. Never had a "whacked out" Saddlebred, and I live and breath the breed.

Here is a great video