KatyBradford

Trailer Accident Sunday...

...as for not opening the trailer door till the butt chain/bar is down... To each their own. I have hauled in a 2H side by side trailer for YEARS. We have trained our horses that they get unsnapped but we open the door THEN undo the butt chain. Hence why I say I know that the heavy duty snap/link thingy will stand up to a good sized horse. My mare would still every now and then try to come out of the trailer AS SOON as the door was opened. Making the butt chain stop her. Personally, IMO, it's safer to leave the butt chain up and open the door then undo it. *I* have had my hand broke from trying to undo the butt chain by reaching over the door and the horse decided to set back on my hand. Yeah, I open the door first now... Again, to each their own with that.

All of my horses, including Jula, know to wait until they are told to come out of the trailer. That's not something I'm worried about at all (in terms of untying, opening the gate or back). Obviously, they are calm, well-behaved horses or we wouldn't have all survived.

Something I've learned along the way: Even the calmest horses aren't always calm. If you've seen one go under a butt chain/bar, you might feel like I do about having the door open with the chain/bar up. Having some sort of "quick release" snap would reduce the chances of a mishap. Nothing works 100% of the time. I've seen horses try to turn around or get under slant dividers too.

As for needing dividers, my horses have hauled just fine without for six hours. I stop every two hours for a few minutes to allow them to rest a little, and to check the rig.

Oh my gosh Katy! I missed this one. How scary for you! How did your son handle the situation? I am sure it was a bit terrifying with his first horse in this sort of ordeal. Yikes. I am so glad it worked out with no serious injuries. Poor Jula, that looked painful. I know you have such great horses and it shows.

hubby had an idea on how she might have gotten under there. She could have been squating to pee and when she stood up she was under there.

I have chains for butt bars things, and my divider is just like your except i put a peice of plywood cut to fit. It goes from the upper bar to floor. that way they can't get under it.

How did your son handle the situation?

Chris was amazing (he's 11, for those of you who don't know). We were in front of a church, and he ran in there for help. Several great people came out and tried to help me get the butt bars disconnected. Once he had gotten help and called his dad, he held Jet's head and fed her treats to keep her calm. He was solid, although I know he was horribly upset. He had to stay behind with Jet while we took Jula home, and he did a great job of keeping her calm and occupied, and getting her loaded when we got back. I couldn't believe that she loaded right back on the trailer. I was certain I would be walking her home.

Poor Jula, that looked painful. I know you have such great horses and it shows.

She sure proved her worth to us. I think most horses would have fought and thrashed until they were seriously injured.

hubby had an idea on how she might have gotten under there. She could have been squating to pee and when she stood up she was under there.

That's certainly possible. Maybe she was squatting when we stopped, and that's why she lost her balance.

At this point, the dividers are staying out. I'm not sure when we'll trailer again. Jet is still very mildly off in her left front. Jula looks so much better, with the swelling really down. I have contacted two chiropractors, both say we should give them two weeks before an adjustment, so now I just have to choose one of them, which is hard.

Im PMing you a recommendation on a MT/Chiro combo guy I used when I was that way. He was really good and the combo of a MT with the chiro I felt was the way to go. I introduced him to barefoot trimming and I think he even trims now lol...

Im PMing you a recommendation on a MT/Chiro combo guy I used when I was that way. He was really good and the combo of a MT with the chiro I felt was the way to go. I introduced him to barefoot trimming and I think he even trims now lol...

Thanks! I hope he'll travel here.

That was one of my big concerns - the local chiro guy is very pro-shoes - he told one of Nora's clients that the horse should have a shoe on one front and be bare on the other, and it's "crookedness" would straighten out!

I don't think so. Why would she do that?

Because it is a clausdrophobia issue and that is what they do . You never know when a horse will do it. Mangers are one of the leading causes of trailer problems.

Because it is a clausdrophobia issue and that is what they do . You never know when a horse will do it. Mangers are one of the leading causes of trailer problems.

I think that it is much more likely that she was peeing, and lost her balance when we stopped at the stop sign. Or that she just lost her balance when we stopped, and when she stood up, she came up under the butt bar. I haven't seen any signs of claustrophobia from any of my horses, although I know that certain clinicians like to say that horses are both claustrophobics and panicoholics. Mine really aren't - even Jula, who is new to us. Had she panicked, I don't think things would have turned out nearly so well. My only real must-have when I choose a horse is that she be non-reactive. I can work with anything else, but overly reactive is something I don't enjoy in a horse.

Edited by KatyB

Hope she feels better soon :). Yesterday one of our horses had a trailer accident was not lucky. He ripped the skin off from the hock all the way to the hoof. Also he was in shock and started to colic. Not to mention our other horse need stitches due to an other accident.

You said you felt the trailer rocking, it's entirely possible that she started "scrambling" and that would lower her frame considerably. Some horses have a habit of it, and you said this was a new horse, you might not know about it yet? With the combination of the slick surface, I can see what would happen. Sorry for your situation, nothing scarier than finding yourself in something your didn't expect and can't get out of easily. Question: will a horse attempt to pee when the trailer is moving?

YES lol...Its rather funny when you see the following car get Pee'd on by the pee flying out the back of the trailer while the trailer is in motion .

Im sure not all horses do it but some definately do.

Edited by Trinity

Hope she feels better soon :). Yesterday one of our horses had a trailer accident was not lucky. He ripped the skin off from the hock all the way to the hoof. Also he was in shock and started to colic. Not to mention our other horse need stitches due to an other accident.

Ouch! I'm so sorry. Did he make it through all of that? That's terrible.

You said you felt the trailer rocking, it's entirely possible that she started "scrambling" and that would lower her frame considerably. Some horses have a habit of it, and you said this was a new horse, you might not know about it yet? With the combination of the slick surface, I can see what would happen. Sorry for your situation, nothing scarier than finding yourself in something your didn't expect and can't get out of easily. Question: will a horse attempt to pee when the trailer is moving?

Yes, they will pee when the trailer is moving - or some horses will. I don't think Jet has ever peed in the trailer, but I have trailer'd other horses who obviously did, and there weren't any prolonged stops along the way.

I don't guess we'll ever know exactly how it happened. Jula is looking a million times better - to the point you have to look for the swelling, as opposed to being able to see it from a hundred yards. She is moving well and willingly. Her back still feels very firm and tight, but much improved from early last week.

I really hope they'll load well again. I wouldn't, if it were me. I plan to start giving them buckets in the trailer in a few days, just to over-ride the negative with a positive. I really don't know when we'll try riding again. I'm hoping something easy by next weekend, but we'll just have to see how they are doing.

I'am sorry this happened and glad that it turned out reasonably well. I bet they will both load right up the next time you try. There is just no way to know for sure what happened and there is probably also no way to prevent it.

We have a gelding that was by himself in a 2 horse bumper pull and the pickup pulling the trailor was broad sided at about 60mph. The trailer came off the ball and turned over twice, landing on it's side. The door popped open and the horse was able to scramble out. When we got to the scene he was tied to a fence on the side of the highway and loaded right up into our trailer. He has never, to this day, hesitated to get in any trailer. We expect him to load and he does. The only advice I can give you when you go to load them again is don't be hesitant and try not be nervous. Just open the door and load them! If you expect them to load without issue, they will and if you expect them to balk, they will!

I'm glad your horses are recovering and Kudos to Chris for staying calm and helpful.

I'am sorry this happened and glad that it turned out reasonably well. I bet they will both load right up the next time you try. There is just no way to know for sure what happened and there is probably also no way to prevent it.

We have a gelding that was by himself in a 2 horse bumper pull and the pickup pulling the trailor was broad sided at about 60mph. The trailer came off the ball and turned over twice, landing on it's side. The door popped open and the horse was able to scramble out. When we got to the scene he was tied to a fence on the side of the highway and loaded right up into our trailer. He has never, to this day, hesitated to get in any trailer. We expect him to load and he does. The only advice I can give you when you go to load them again is don't be hesitant and try not be nervous. Just open the door and load them! If you expect them to load without issue, they will and if you expect them to balk, they will!

I'm glad your horses are recovering and Kudos to Chris for staying calm and helpful.

[Not Worthy] Amen

Thanks for that! I'll let you all know how they do when we load them.

Both horses are looking so much better. I hope we are truly on the mend.

I'm so sorry. I hope he has an uncomplicated recovery. Any idea what happened?

the cuts started to get infected and he started to go down on us

Thoughts and prayers to you both!

Happy update!!!!!

Everyone is doing well. The girls had a massage/chiro appointment on Friday, and I was amazed that he didn't find them to be unusually sore or out of alignment. I rode them each very briefly yesterday, and they both felt just fine. We're going to do a trail challenge course today, and I hope everyone is 100%. I've trailered twice - the first time was hard for me, but the horses did just fine. Yesterday was much easier.

IMG_2630.jpg

Jula yesterday. That was a good feeling.

IMG_2521.jpg

Three happy girls - what a relief!

Glad everyone is okay. [Yay]

I have no advise to offer...I am a complete greenback when it comes to trailers.

I learned how to train for loading lessons...but not pulling (didn't drive or not allowed to pull)

As generally horse saavy as I am....this is one place I am all thumbs and have no experience.

Sooo, I can only say I am glad ya'll are fine and I admire your nerves of steel. [Huggy]