Sign in to follow this  
SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

What Do You Find Tacky?

I think this will be interesting because I know a good bit more about the average poster here than the forum I was reading this on.

Easy question:

What's tacky? In showing, riding, training, handling, dressing, of horse, rider or handler...

Just remember: These are ONLY personal opinions, and what one person hates someone else can love. What's correct for one purpose can be downright wrong for another. We're all different and there's no wrong answers. Feel free to respond or explain, but keep in mind what you say probably won't change their mind.

I'll post my thoughts on the subject later.

I know where you got this :) And I even posted on the Dressage forum's version . . . but I have a different username there.

Anyway.

Poorly wrapped polos is my main one.

Oh, and like 5 million bajillion specialty pads under your horse's saddle.

Being that I school at home in teal as my color and all . . . I don't have much to talk about.

And I ride in RED breeches. :)

Dressing sloppy for lessons

Riding in half chaps during the class at shows

Not following left sturrip to left sturrip, Aka wall hogs

Not matching tack, bright orange bridle with black/dark brown saddles, yuck! Lol

People who constantly hit there horse for the littlest problems.

Hen I see extremely bad shoe jobs and the horse is obviously not feeling good and they are still showing it

Walking past show stalls an seeing someone give their horses a "shot" and you get that suspicion it's not a legal drug

Super crazy colored polos and saddle pads at schooling shows

And I ride in RED breeches. :)

I actually REALLY REALLY want some. Sadly the only ones that have come my way were the wrong size and style for me. (I can't make front-zip breeches look good, no matter what I do.)

I'm such a old-school person at heart, I find a lot of aesthetic things very tacky...

Patterned saddle pads. I only have maroon, hunter green, and white saddle pads. No patterns. No neon colors. Ick!

I'm another stickler for non-matching tack as well. Then again, I only have 1 saddle and 1 bridle, so it's easy for me to say that I match. [bat Eyelashes]

Ponytails that stick out under helmets. If you're over the age of 14, tuck it away!

Extra fuzzy girths/bridles/breastplates/etc. If your tack fits right and your horse isn't uber-sensitive, you don't need it.

As far as something a little more serious that I find tacky...

Folks that are convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they don't need lessons, ever. Don't need to learn anything new, don't need some pointers on their position, they are God's gift to the equine world. To me, ignorance like that is extremely tacky.

Matching Polos, Saddle Pad, Helmet cover, browband, bell boots, bit guards, martingale donut... Believe me I've seen it..

People who wear their jeans with their tall boots.. omg.

The adjustable IRH helmet with replaceable color strip.. sorry if anyone has one.. I can't stand them

People that wear a hairnet but don't put their hair over their ears.. what's the point of a net then?

Obsessive clucking... omg

and people that don't know how to steer.. kill me.

Matching Polos, Saddle Pad, Helmet cover, browband, bell boots, bit guards, martingale donut... Believe me I've seen it.

hahaha there was someone at a xc show not too long ago that had on tie-dye shirt, tie-dye white breeches, tie-dye cotton white gloves, tie-dye saddle pad, polos, and a helmet cover. NOT to mention she had on some groovy sunglasses, and tie-dye duct tape wrapped around her browband, and part of her figure eight piece that goes over the cheeks, and one last thing she had them wrapped around the top of her tall boots. I SERIOUSLY wish I would have taken picture, but I was in utter shock! The tie-dye patters didn't even match!

Oh Chris you just reminded me! When people show up at shows with HORRIBLE braiding jobs on their horses who are ewe neck, lacking muscle and go around with their swan necks.

I also despise the fake show helmet covers, the really "fuzzy" black ones. I understand if its at a schooling show and its your first year showing, but after that and your serious about showing, please get a show helmet...

hahaha there was someone at a xc show not too long ago that had on tie-dye shirt, tie-dye white breeches, tie-dye cotton white gloves, tie-dye saddle pad, polos, and a helmet cover. NOT to mention she had on some groovy sunglasses, and tie-dye duct tape wrapped around her browband, and part of her figure eight piece that goes over the cheeks, and one last thing she had them wrapped around the top of her tall boots. I SERIOUSLY wish I would have taken picture, but I was in utter shock! The tie-dye patters didn't even match!

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] I'm dieing over here with this image in my head...

Showing up at a horse show with a dirty unprepared horse. I'm not saying you have to be braided for every single show, but at least have a neat tidy mane and clip up the outside of the ears, fetlocks and whiskers.

Show bows.

Holding the ring for almost 30 mins while you warm up. I mean, I understand ring conflicts, but COME ON...half an hour is a little excessive.

Riding in the same Novice division for years on end.

more tacky/annoying.

Know-it-all types.

Bad manners.

Kids whose parents do everything for them except riding the pony.

3-ring dutch gags on horses that already tend to run around inverted, and are clearly only being used because the bit is 'in', instead of the rider knowing what the bit actually does.

Mega-bits on ponies.

Bridles with bling.

Orange tack.

Head-to-toe in Joules clothing.

Pony-tails hanging out of helmets, especially at a show.

Not knowing the arena code -left rein has priority, trot/canter has priority over walk, full arena has priority over circle/schooling figures etc.

People who have no idea what they're talking about, but insist that they do. aka trainers who shouldn't be training anything or anyone.

People who pretend they have show results, but you look them up and there is nothing.

People who don't understand the value of horses and complain about being offered a couple hundred dollars less than their asking price.

I can't stand those velvet helmet covers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a GR8 (black w/charcoal stripe) is acceptable in Dressage at a 3 day event, right?

Poorly fitting helmets and weirdly done hair.

People who don't bother to oil their tack.

Ignoring that you have been buzzed out to the ring for refusals and trying the jump again. Hello, the judge excused you so leave.

haha i love this thread.

*Ponytails out of helmets (except for schooling; i wont do it but it doesnt bother me)

*Trainers who have no idea what they're doing but are successful cause they jump kids higher than they should

*Orange Tack

*Using a figure 8 "because it's cute"

*Boot socks being higher than the boots

*Showing below your and your horse's skill level and taking ribbons away from others who are working their butts off

*People who don't correct lazy horses. Get Moving!!

oh it never ends..

gossipers/blabber mouths at barns - i know we are in a female dominated sport so there will be gossip but i really dont like the ones who make fun of everything other riders do without questioning why they do it -or worse the ones who arent very good themselves

the kids who yell and scream at their mothers at shows, and whos mothers do EVERYTHING for them. if that were my kid they would be putting their horse in the trailer and going home.

people who make fun of you for showing small classes when your older - we have these at my barn - HELLO my horse is green im not going to plunge him into the 1.15m and have his confidence smashed

people who think that because they are schooling/lessoning they can wear anything. especially the ones that wear low-rider lulu lemon pants when they ride and their butt cracks hangout.

riders who ignore obvious training faults just for the sake of showing - if your horse is having that many issues maybe you should just stay schooling for a bit

rein converters for pelhams

poorly fitted tack

bright tack at schooling shows - i understand they arent as formal, but still.

clipping horses in the winter when they arent in work

brown paddock boots with black chaps

poorly groomed horses/riders

barns who dont keep up their arena maintenance

and more but i could complain about people all day..

Ignoring that you have been buzzed out to the ring for refusals and trying the jump again. Hello, the judge excused you so leave.

Only if you ask the judge, and the judge tells you it's ok. Usually they offer you jump one or an inviting fence you already cleared. I think a judge that allows this, esp for a trainer or a good rider on a tough horse is particularly classy.

Is this purely at the judge's discretion or if they allow it for one rider do they have to allow it for anyone in that class that asks? I thought it was just the judge's discretion, but now I feel like that might not be right for some reason.

Only if you ask the judge, and the judge tells you it's ok. Usually they offer you jump one or an inviting fence you already cleared. I think a judge that allows this, esp for a trainer or a good rider on a tough horse is particularly classy.

Is this purely at the judge's discretion or if they allow it for one rider do they have to allow it for anyone in that class that asks? I thought it was just the judge's discretion, but now I feel like that might not be right for some reason.

It is the judges discretion, but I'm talking about those cases where the rider does not ask and the judge continues to hit the buzzer in an effort to move them on outta the ring. Some just seem to ignore the hint.

Edited by pdavissmith

hahaha those IRH helmets? totally have one..its totally the stupidest thing alive. I bought it when i was like...13? maybe even 12. Now i leave it at the silver strip cause the others are gross. The dial is the most useless thing ever and its just an uncomfortable helmet overall. Ick. I want a gpa

-I hate colours, like obsessive colours. I have a light blue saddle pad and i love it but the rest of my stuff is dark colours, white, i have a nice burgandy saddle pad with a gold trim. This is part of the reason i don't care for western..all the colour..Although my mom bought Indy a rainbow halter..hehe..It was cute but it stayed at home, and now i lost it :( stupid flood.

-Pony tails hanging out of the helmet, or just a helmet put on and your hair down. Omg gag me.

-People who talk bad about my horses when they know NOTHING about horses..seriously one lady was saying that you had to be careful when bringing them in or they'd kill you..uhm they are angels when you treat them properly and when the barn is not starving them. yep. wont go there.

-People who ride during jumping lessons. I'm supposed to learn how to turn quick but when your weaving in and out of my jumps and i have to be worried about where you are instead of concentrating on my own task..its just not going to work.

-Show bows..my old coach bought me like two..never been used..hair nets all the way

-Also, i don't know why, but i think riding without gloves looks awkward. Plus I cringe everytime i watch someone ride without them.

-

-hate when tack doesn't match- "blinged" out tack is quite possibly the worst but a black saddle and a brown bridle or vice versa

-crazy colored saddle pads (i stick with white baby pads mostly but sometimes use a hunter green or navy blue pad WILD)

-helmets with no visor

or even worse... http://www.longridersgear.com/catalog/prod...products_id=692

I will say that I have a rather large head and very very thick hair so I tend to ride with my hair in a ponytail if I am just riding. Mine refuses to stay in a net and put up. Obviously for a show I would remedy this but I have I'm pretty certain the largest GPA they make and my unruly mane will not be contained.

That thing was TRENDY a few years ago.

Oh god..i saw one of those at a show once..i think i about fell off my horse i was laughing so hard. Who can wear those and keep their dignity?

Guilty of the brown boots/black chaps lol.

Um. What really gets me is the people who show horses that look like heck; skinny, rough coated, or even just gimping along...really? Why? What are you gaining?

Oh god..i saw one of those at a show once..i think i about fell off my horse i was laughing so hard. Who can wear those and keep their dignity?

Come to WEF. A few years ago they all had them.

overly kicking and screaming at the horses during competitiion when the horse is obviously going as fast as it can. What is more kicking going to do?

Thinking that a horse can be fixed by a stronger bit instead of going back to the beginning and working with the horse.

Blaming the trainer or worse the horse for mistakes that riders make

1. People who are swimming in their show jackets!

I mean- we don't have to have the jackets exactly tailored to your body (I know I don't) but just wearing a jacket that is at least your size.

We have several riders that come to our open/schooling shows that always have large jackets. Yes- it's more comfortable, but no matter how nice your posture is- the jacket makes you look like you are slouching and a sloppy mess.

2. Teens that are still wearing paddock boots and jodphurs to show in.

Another rider at our shows claims she "can't afford to buy tall boots and they just aren't comfortable to ride in." There are lots of cheap pairs of tall boots that will do for open/schooling shows. It looks stupid when you are 16 years old and still competing like a 10 year old.

3. People who don't wear belts in the show ring!

Enough said! I can't tell you how tacky it looks!

Thinking that a horse can be fixed by a stronger bit instead of going back to the beginning and working with the horse.

Blaming the trainer or worse the horse for mistakes that riders make

On the flip side. Trainers that refuse to believe their student when said student tells trainer that horse is different in the show ring than warm up or feels stiff/tight/crooked/nervous and trainer continues to blame said student rider for horse's lack of schooling or proper training over the last year or two. It's too easy to blame the client instead of admitting there's a problem and finding a solution.

And some horses can do much better in a stronger bit. They have to be respectful of their rider, and if it takes a single twisted wire for the rider to have control than so be it. I do think this is a solution instead of a tool to manage and train out a problem for most people, but a strong bit can be an incredibly useful tool and there are a few people who refuse to see it that way any time someone bits up. I got a lot of grief about bitting up on my horse, but it may have been an essential piece as well.

People that don't keep their darn dogs on a leash at shows.

4am, 2 hour lunging sessions so little miss princes can get her horse around the ring.

Same little miss princes throwing a pout as she leaves the ring becasue she couldn't get her horse around the ring.

Clueless people behind the wheel of a golf cart.

Bling. Never liked it, never will.

Riders that don't adhere to the left shoulder to left shoulder in the schooling ring.

Butt heads that park their horse in front of a shcooling jump.