Sign in to follow this  
kinahaji

House Plant Bugs

My poor Croton is pathetic. [Me Cry]

I noticed tiny, tiny bugs the other day, and the leaves look like they're covered with silver frost. Several leaves have fallen off. (It's not those gnats you get when the soil is too moist.)

I did a little Internet research and cleaned off the leaves as well as I could. It sounds like I need to treat it with a pesticide, though, and I have no idea what to look for. Recommendations?

Here's hoping I can bring it back from the brink!

Are they aphids? You could try mixing some liquid dish soap and water (50/50, I think) and spray the plant with that. The soap covers the bugs and suffocates them. If that doesn't work, then you could try a commercial pesticide. I like the soap idea because it is safe around children and pets. And it's cheap!

Neem Oil is safe for pets as well, but don't do Neem Py as it has pyrethrins in it (same stuff we put on the horses to keep flies away). HOWEVER, crotons as well as many other houseplants that are milky tend to be poisonous anyways. So they shouldn't be chewing on them. If you are worried about the over-spray being around the pets, take the plant outside to spray it down, or in the shower or something till it settles.

I am a fan of the dawn dish soap / water. We used it at a green house I used to work for years ago. Cheap, easy, effective. It sounds like you have spider mites.

If you use the seven dust, I would recommend to do that outside. Actually I don't think I would use it at all on my inside plants. At least not the dust application. I know they make a spray.

My mom would always put newspaper under the plants she would spray.

Along with Bayfilly I would say you have spider mites.

I don't think it's aphids. They are barely visible. I would never have noticed them if I didn't see them on my computer screen, and then I thought it was just dust until it moved.

Along with Bayfilly I would say you have spider mites.
I dunno... I don't see any webbing?

Does the plant look like this?

2008-07-20%20-%20The%20Plants%20After%20Spider%20Mites%20005.jpg

Maybe? Yeah, I think so.

Great link; thank you! I'll do the white-paper test when I get to work tomorrow if it still looks icky. I'm hoping cleaning it off did the trick.