Sign in to follow this  
Ricepaddle03

Bought Myself My First Aqha

So, I'm a hunter rider hard core, but I went to congress for the first time this year and for some reason I really really wanted to do congress. I don't know what happened but I couldn't get enough! So I bought myself a Quarter horse. Not sure what I was really suppose to be looking for so I took a friend who's been riding qh her whole life and was hoping she'd help me out. I'm use to riding big warmbloods and thoroughbreds.

I actually went to an auction where horses are really cheap, thought I'd look for a cheap prospect and hope that they are QH registered. Well, out of about 50 horses, 2 caught my eye. Both were owned by the same guy. One was a 4 y/o western pleasure gelding and the other was a 2.5 y/o just learning western pleasure. The guy said he had too many horses and that he had gotten those two as a package deal. He said he has other horses with a few hundred points and had no need for those two who had no points and were young and the 2.5 year old was too forward for what he wanted. The guy you could tell had quite a bit of money, all of his horses were from a heated barn, all were clipped, manes all pulled, the whole nine yards. Anyway, he rode him around with the loud speaker on, horses running ever where and people running and walking everywhere. He didn't even flinch. Got him home and he is just as sweet as he was at the auction. He is a bit jumpy about things that point to trainers/handlers being a bit rough with him but he'll learn how to be loved on! He has all 4 shoes on which I will be taking off tomorrow, might hop on him but not sure, I might just let him sit for a few months to let him grow. Who knows what I got but as far as I can tell he's a good little horse :)

Anyways, his registered name is Willys Badda Bing: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/willys+badda+bing

He was bred by Leeman Fritz, I looked him up and he owns his sire.

Only have a few pics fro my phone but will upload more. If you have any information about his blood lines please feel free to comment!

75841_839535656860_20907752_44405452_2470042_n.jpg

^^he's 15.2h at the withers and 15.3h at the hip at 2.5 yo

75193_839535711750_20907752_44405454_7115621_n.jpg

76872_839535741690_20907752_44405455_2177627_n.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh I'm looking to do the hunter o/f with him and doing OHJA shows and maybe some C or B shows in the future.

PS, yes that's his real tail!

Willy Be Invited is a nice stud. I know a few horses personally from him and they've turned out to be nice in the HUS/All-around ring. I know nothing about jumping so that is not anything I'd be any help with.

Love the tail.

Looks like you got a nice (big) boy.

I know nothing of the western pleasure side of blood!

what i do know is that he is a GREAT looking horses.. gotta love those QHs !!! he is a huge 2.5 year old!....

good luck with him! can't wait to see him progress!

Please review the sticky about pictures for actual critique.

If you just want to share how pretty your boy is (and congratulations by the way!), please post on GCC.

Please review the sticky about pictures for actual critique.

If you just want to share how pretty your boy is (and congratulations by the way!), please post on GCC.

Had to go out today to get better pictures, it was dark by the time he settled in so I decided to just take some today :)

I know some might be hard to tell, it was hard to keep him steady long enough to take a good picture. It's only his second day at his new home and being a baby, he was super ADD lol.

76113_839900655400_20907752_44412755_1484016_n.jpg

77118_839898464790_20907752_44412701_5879435_n.jpg

155332_839898524670_20907752_44412705_3517737_n.jpg

^^oops cut off his ears!

154484_839898439840_20907752_44412700_6033870_n.jpg

74103_839898544630_20907752_44412706_2251843_n.jpg

Thanks! I'm still getting use to the quarter horse build but it's growing on me!

Just found some old scabs from being spurred under his belly and scars from the chain under his chin today...poor guy [Me Cry]

Thanks! I'm still getting use to the quarter horse build but it's growing on me!

Just found some old scabs from being spurred under his belly and scars from the chain under his chin today...poor guy [Me Cry]

He's 2.5!!!!!! That is ridiculous!!

He is a great looking guy, I think you really hit the Jackpot with him.

Love the white spots on his hocks! I'm hopeing those are scars though. Some grow white hair over scars. He's adoarble though!

yeah they are hock sores from laying down. My old mare use to lay down and since the robber matts were so hard she'd get them. THey are white b/c I put corona on them

This horse was sold at the 2009 Congress Super Sale for $6200!! NOT a bad price.. lol..

He actually has a very good All-Around pedigree, I've heard a ton of great things about his sire. He is a FULL brother to 3 NSBA money earners including I INVITE YOU, Open & Yth ROM, $1,004 NSBA.

SIRE SIDE:

Willy Be Invited: 174 Performance points, R.O.M. in Western Pleasure, Heard he's been putting some wonderful prospects on the ground, but have not seen any that really stood out and grabbed me yet.

Invitation Only: 42 Performance points, 2008 NSBA Hall of Fame Inductee; Sired winners in Western Pleasure, English Performance classes, and Hunter Under Saddle. His foals are AWESOME performers and wonderful to watch.

Barpassers Image: 1 Halter point, 62 Performance points, awesome Western Pleasure sire and performer. I know a few people who have grandbabies to this sire and they are awesome all-arounders.

He's got a pretty strong topside on his pedigree and I would of not hesitated in buying him, especially with how good he looks too.

DAMS SIDE:

Schautzly: Was shown in the Ohio Quarter Horse circuit. Shown by Fritz Leeman. Lounge-line, and Western Pleasure. Dam goes back to Poco Bueno, Zantanon, and King, but nothing else really pops out.

Heza Snazzy Asset: Shown in Western Pleasure, was Champion in Novice Amateur Western Pleasure.

Poco Van Linda: 477 Performance points, Top 10 World Show in Western Pleasure.

Investment Asset: 72 Performance points, all in Western Pleasure.

Rosys Story: Performance point earner, I believe she was shown in Youth classes and the last time she showed was around 2002 or so (if I'm not confusing her with another horse).

The Big Investment: 11 Performance points, Western Pleasure World Champion, NSBA Hall of Fame

Sorry got carried away.. lol.. I LOVE researching bloodlines... But he is ABSOLUTELY stunning and I would of been proud to walk away with him!! You ever get sick of him, just let me know! lol..

Sorry got carried away.. lol.. I LOVE researching bloodlines... But he is ABSOLUTELY stunning and I would of been proud to walk away with him!! You ever get sick of him, just let me know! lol..

I bet she appreciates it though! I'd love for someone to find more than I have on the mare I just bought not too long ago lol

rice...BEAUTIFUL BOY BTW....oooooohh soo purty :-) congrats [Yay]

Edited by jnr_equine89

He was bred by Leeman Fritz, I looked him up and he owns his sire.

Actually his name is Fritz Leeman. Just curious, if you want to send me a PM, who did you buy him from? I am from Ohio and know many of the QH people in the area. It might give you some insight as to what's been done and how honest the seller was...

This is a very nice looking QH.

There is one part of him that is making me a bit nervous though and that is his pasterns. At times they are extremely upright and they are pretty short. They don't seem to match the angle of his shoulder. In the long run this could definitely cause some problems. The hoof capsule itself also looks long and his heels in those rears that I can see look high (frog not touching the ground). I might venture (if you had the extra cash) the get some hoof x-rays done to satisfy my mind on possible hoof/pastern problems (navicular, founder, etc). The way he seems to be standing on his toes and the sores on the hocks from a lot of laying down also makes me think the possibility of hoof problems....

It could definitely be just from the way he's build (upright in the pasterns and no problems at all) just saying it would be a concern of mine if I were to come across him.

Other than that nice looking boy. Good muscle. Definitely young, his face says that all over. Still a tad bit butt high but he should grow into that. I, personally, wouldn't be pushing him hard at his young age as I feel he's probably done quite a bit. I would probably do a year of very light riding and just show him in halter to get him used to shows.

His neck is maybe a tiny bit thick, especially at the base, but I'd like to see where it would go with some neck sweating.

Good shoulder and butt angles, nice trapezoid. His tongue makes me giggle. He's a very good looking over all QH. I would get those hoof xrays myself though.

Actually his name is Fritz Leeman. Just curious, if you want to send me a PM, who did you buy him from? I am from Ohio and know many of the QH people in the area. It might give you some insight as to what's been done and how honest the seller was...

Oh haha, makes sense. I will PM you as soon as the sends me the vet records. He seemed like a nice guy but who knows. He was also selling a 4 y/o black gelding. He said he was about 40 miles north of columbus if that helps any? lol He was maybe in his 50's said he had a few other horses with points and didn't have time for the younger horses. He said he only had him for 2 weeks before he brought them to the auction b/c he got a package deal on them. Fritz Leeman's signature was on the transfer papers, idk if that's his signature or not but yeah...

This is a very nice looking QH.

There is one part of him that is making me a bit nervous though and that is his pasterns. At times they are extremely upright and they are pretty short. They don't seem to match the angle of his shoulder. In the long run this could definitely cause some problems. The hoof capsule itself also looks long and his heels in those rears that I can see look high (frog not touching the ground). I might venture (if you had the extra cash) the get some hoof x-rays done to satisfy my mind on possible hoof/pastern problems (navicular, founder, etc). The way he seems to be standing on his toes and the sores on the hocks from a lot of laying down also makes me think the possibility of hoof problems....

It could definitely be just from the way he's build (upright in the pasterns and no problems at all) just saying it would be a concern of mine if I were to come across him.

Other than that nice looking boy. Good muscle. Definitely young, his face says that all over. Still a tad bit butt high but he should grow into that. I, personally, wouldn't be pushing him hard at his young age as I feel he's probably done quite a bit. I would probably do a year of very light riding and just show him in halter to get him used to shows.

His neck is maybe a tiny bit thick, especially at the base, but I'd like to see where it would go with some neck sweating.

Good shoulder and butt angles, nice trapezoid. His tongue makes me giggle. He's a very good looking over all QH. I would get those hoof xrays myself though.

He might be looking a bit sensitive because we took his shoes off like, 10 min before we took the pictures and where he was standing wasn't totally flat, there are random rocks all around (he had all 4 shoes on!). Farrier has some work to do on him but it will take a while for it get get better. He said he didn't want to do a whole lot because whoever did him before did a really poor job and wants his sole and frog to grow out before he does anything major. I think they look a bit more straighter too because he would not stop moving, kept on walking around so who knows.

I haven't ridden him yet and don't plan to for maybe another month. I'm going to be riding him probably once a week at the walk and maybe 5 min of trotting both ways and lunging twice a week, so working three days a week. Let him calm down and grow up. Still doesn't know what loving on is/treats are but he will learn real quick what peppermint wrapper noise sounds like :)

Here's a picture where he was actually standing still to look at something, look better?

149243_839898220280_20907752_44412688_4236995_n.jpg

Oh haha, makes sense. I will PM you as soon as the sends me the vet records. He seemed like a nice guy but who knows. He was also selling a 4 y/o black gelding. He said he was about 40 miles north of columbus if that helps any? lol He was maybe in his 50's said he had a few other horses with points and didn't have time for the younger horses. He said he only had him for 2 weeks before he brought them to the auction b/c he got a package deal on them. Fritz Leeman's signature was on the transfer papers, idk if that's his signature or not but yeah...

Oh geez, that could be anybody. I lived in Medina until earlier this year. Was he a trainer or a dealer or just an amateur unloading some horses?

Oh geez, that could be anybody. I lived in Medina until earlier this year. Was he a trainer or a dealer or just an amateur unloading some horses?

Just an amateur unloading some horses. he said he got a package deal with those two he brought and another horse and the one he didn't bring he wanted and the other two he said he didn't want b/c he didn't want young untrained horses when he has horses with points already. :confused0024:

Nice quarther horse...as you ride him more is butt should start to fill out more. QH are known for their big butts. They feel and ride different from the TB and WB. If interested you may see how he does at barrels or poles when older. You will also really like riding your QH on the trails too. They can do just about anything. Lucky YOU!

I'm not actually all that savvy in horse conformation. But, I did draw some lines for the heck of it. Everyone wants a well balanced horse; one way to put it is that they should fit into a box, with 1/3 shoulder, 1/3 back and 1/3 haunches. The shoulder and hip should both be at about 45? angles (this can vary), as well as the pasterns. Also, the horse should be about as tall from whither to hooves as he is long (point of shoulder to end of haunches).

The lines I've drawn are what the "ideal" should be (i.e. perfect square and exactly 45?), so you can compare how closely your cute QH fits them. I think he does pretty well.

confolines.jpg?t=1291004522

It looks like he either has some growing to do to "fit in the box" or the camera was looking down on him slightly; altering the proportions. He is also a little hip high, AND YOUNG, so he should get a little taller. I think his pasterns are at a nearly perfect angle and length; if this picture is accurate. His shoulder and hip seem nicely sloped and equal as well. And, I'd have to say that he is almost exactly broken into thirds. Besides the thickish neck, another flaw I've noticed is that his hocks are high. Lower hocks allow the horse to work under himself better and propel himself forward. It also looks like he is back at the knee. Of course, he could still have some changing to do.

I would give him the rest of the year off at least (as in; wait til he's at least 3 or 3.5). Riding young horses can cause problems down the road when a horse is ridden too much before his growth plates are fused (some long bones and vertebrae don't close til horses are 4). Think about his poor back, bearing weight that is perpendicular to the skeletal structure and muscle. At least his legs are parallel to the weight.

I love him; and welcome to the wonderful world of quarter horses! [smiley Wavey]

Edited by mistymorning

Thanks for the diagram. He is still growing, he will be turning 3 in Feb (early baby). I've ridden him twice, once to see how he was undersaddle and walked around for about 5 min. Second time we learned how to steer and did a little trot, lasted maybe 15 min. I do have to say his trot is so smooth. Other than that he's been sitting in his stall, eating, and playing outside and learning how to interact with other horses, I do lung him probably 2 times a week for about 15 min - walk/trot, sometimes he feels not lazy and canters a bit. I tossed my friends 3 y/o daughter on him and he did so well. I walked her around and we even did a slow trot and she was giggling and screaming in delight, Joel just pointed his ears backwards like, what is this noise coming from my back? lol he was such a good boy.

I don't know all the specifics. Just know that's one fine looking QH! He is built like a QH shud be. To take on anything he is needed for. That's what they are made for, anything. I'm glad to see all the pointers though. Let's me look at my mare with a little more education. Thanks, and just enjoybeing owned by a QuaterHorse!

I think you've got a winner there. Gorgeous little guy and I think once he matures, he'll be close to perfect. Not only that, it sounds like he's got a great mind. And I betcha he'll be a pocket pony once he realizes his New Human = love, kisses, treats and pats. I'm glad he has you.